HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

is this the year that the islanders finally...

Old
03-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
Its not gonna happen. Nobody wants to go there for MULTIPLE reasons. Besides tavares and nabakov who do you have that could be considered elite talent? Not saying in anyway nabakov is elite but he's elite for the islanders. Im not trolling here or trying to be rude but the islanders are the laughing stock of the NHL.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Its not gonna happen. Nobody wants to go there for MULTIPLE reasons. Besides tavares and nabakov who do you have that could be considered elite talent? Not saying in anyway nabakov is elite but he's elite for the islanders. Im not trolling here or trying to be rude but the islanders are the laughing stock of the NHL.
The colombus blue jackets say hello.

The islanders have a lot going for them. They have a good crop of young players including one of the best young players in the game, they have a rich history including their dynasty years. They also have some of the best jerseys in the league since going back to their original 2 jerseys

In my opinion, they need a new owner that will clean house on the management level. After that, a new arena wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't say the isles are the laughing stock of the NHL at all anymore. They are just a few pieces away from being a solid playoff team, and when Tavares hits his prime, and their young core and their players in the system gain experience, they could be a force in the east.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:30 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'd be very leery of Semin being Yashin II.
Yea, I think that too. Whoever gives Semin over two year deal is crazy, IMO.

From that trio (Suter-Semin-Garrison) only Garrison sounds reasonable.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
The colombus blue jackets say hello.

The islanders have a lot going for them. They have a good crop of young players including one of the best young players in the game, they have a rich history including their dynasty years. They also have some of the best jerseys in the league since going back to their original 2 jerseys

In my opinion, they need a new owner that will clean house on the management level. After that, a new arena wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't say the isles are the laughing stock of the NHL at all anymore. They are just a few pieces away from being a solid playoff team, and when Tavares hits his prime, and their young core and their players in the system gain experience, they could be a force in the east.
I kinda like alternatives from 06-07 or was it 07-08? The navy blue ones they were pretty cool. And egh the islanders need new defenseman and maybe another center?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:52 AM
alpine4life

Suter: 6yrs/8M
Parise: 6yrs/8M

and they're 1st in the Atlantic

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:29 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
their record, tavares developing an elite player, PaP and moulson proving they are legitamate first line players, development of macdonald and hamonic, isles younger players locked up on very team friendly long term contracts

past seasons no top free agent wanted to be the center of attention on the island, or carry all the work load, and 10 percent of players voted the islanders the most underrated team in the league

and league wide, significantly better free agents this season than last season

Neither PaP or Moulson would be a first line players on legit playoff teams. Both are one dimensional players that aren't good enough at their dimension to be considered first line players. Top 6, yes.

Top free agents didn't choose not to sign with the Isles because they feared being the center of attention. They haven't signed with the Islanders due to a combination of their ownership instability/approach as well as the condition of their building and uncertainty of the future of the franchise.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
yes i do think they are a suter away from being better than the blues, rags, and flyers

blues are where they are because of coaching, rags, because of goaltending and coaching, and flyers because of coaching
Blue are where they are because of amazing depth, great coaching as well as strong goalie tandem.

Rangers are where they are because of great goaltending, great coaching and serious defensive depth. Rangers have Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto in their top 4. Three of thos players play like top pairing dmen NOW.

Isles are a top pairing D, top 4 D and an ENTIRE 2ND LINE away from being a considered a top 8 team. Let's also not forget ownership being cheap and not hiring an established coached coupled with the fact that if Nabakov doesn't re-sign they have no goaltending depth.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Wang will continue to circumvent the cap floor to have as little payroll as possible.
Gomez would be perfect for them, 7m cap hit and 4m real salary next season if I am not wrong lol

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Wang has kept the Islanders purely as leverage for his new lighthouse project. Now that there's not chance of it, it's simply a case of losing as little money as possible while trying to sell the team.
He should call Pierre-Karl Peladeau, we will let him build a lighthouse and move the boys to Colisee Pepsi till 2015 can't be worse their current home.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
TOGuy14

Also, lets not forget that the Islanders play in probably one of the worst, if not the worst arena in the league with no hope of change any time soon. Those kind of facilities aren't a selling point.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Doubtful.

What has changed since last offseason?
Tavares is now viewed as a legit gangsta on the ice.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Gomez would be perfect for them, 7m cap hit and 4m real salary next season if I am not wrong lol
Nah.Gomez is thriving in Montreal and considering the young stud defenseman ,McDonough (sp) ,they gave up for him ,I'm sure he's untouchable:sarcasm

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Nice try, sport.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

We already overpay for free agents evey year...They just turn us down...

I would offer Suter 7.5-8 per for 5-7 years......We need this type of Dfensman....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Neither PaP or Moulson would be a first line players on legit playoff teams. Both are one dimensional players that aren't good enough at their dimension to be considered first line players. Top 6, yes.

Top free agents didn't choose not to sign with the Isles because they feared being the center of attention. They haven't signed with the Islanders due to a combination of their ownership instability/approach as well as the condition of their building and uncertainty of the future of the franchise.
Ill give you PAP....But Moulson is a 30 goal scorer 3 straight years in a row.....Now he does only score goals but that important too......He gets too the dirty areas, has a great shot, and NEVER takes bad penalties...

Old
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Ill give you PAP....But Moulson is a 30 goal scorer 3 straight years in a row.....Now he does only score goals but that important too......He gets too the dirty areas, has a great shot, and NEVER takes bad penalties...
The things with Moulson is that he doesn't create his own offense. JT creates it. I am not faulting him for being able to capitalize and excel at getting to the dirty areas and scoring tough goals. I just don't see him as a 1st line winger on a contending team. IMO he has proved himself as a 2nd line winger.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtemper View Post
Islanders fan eh? Team of the future I say.
Who seemore butts??

Old
03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
The things with Moulson is that he doesn't create his own offense. JT creates it. I am not faulting him for being able to capitalize and excel at getting to the dirty areas and scoring tough goals. I just don't see him as a 1st line winger on a contending team. IMO he has proved himself as a 2nd line winger.
The bolded is 100% True but before the emergance of Neal, Moulson would of been a Top wing for the PENS, as so many pens fans wanted before he signed his extention....

Old
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchbot 3000 View Post
Suter or Parise aren't going to sign with the Islanders. They want to win now. No offense.
Islanders are winning now.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I still think that you guys are another year away from making that step. Get a great draft pick this year and stick to the plan for one more season. That will more than likely give you a top 8 pick in 13 and your pick this year one year of exp and then you go and get your UFA.

I think you are two to three seasons away from being a special team.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I disagree. I fully believe that one star player would be more beneficial in a big moment. If I had to choose between Suter at 9 million or Barret Jackman and Matt Carle at 4.5 million apiece, I'd choose Suter.
and what about a Wideman-Garrison combo?

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
They aren't going to, and they shouldn't. It's just not realistic to expect Parise and Suter to sign here. We can probably get a guy like Carle or if we're lucky maybe Wideman.
isn't garrison a better option?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Nolanitis

It will be a cold day in hell before he overpays for Semin. Remember he was around when Yashin was here. Suter is the guy if they want to break the bank open.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I still think that you guys are another year away from making that step. Get a great draft pick this year and stick to the plan for one more season. That will more than likely give you a top 8 pick in 13 and your pick this year one year of exp and then you go and get your UFA.

I think you are two to three seasons away from being a special team.
Special as in top 4, sure. But they will be in the playoffs next season. They do have some really good prospects on their way in two or three years.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
Special as in top 4, sure. But they will be in the playoffs next season. They do have some really good prospects on their way in two or three years.
The playoffs are no lock for the Isles next year. They have a lot of talent in their system, but very few are ready to make an impact at the NHL level, especially the premium prospects like Strome, Nino (he could spend next year in the AHL), and whoever we draft this year - we pretty much have dibs on the #5 overall pick every year. That means the Isles will probably miss out on the players that have the best chance of playing immediately in the NHL next season such as Yakupov, Grigorenko, and Murray.

This 'rebuild' isn't done yet. They may surprise next season, but they could be a dangerous team in 2013-2014.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote