HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How the Leafs fell out of the playoff picture?

Old
03-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Inverted
RIP Hughesy

vCash: 500
How the Leafs fell out of the playoff picture?

The Leafs, it is easy to forget, opened February with three straight wins, the first two featuring James Reimer shutouts - 1-0 over Pittsburgh, 5-0 over Ottawa - the third a 6-3 rout of Edmonton.

Toronto was in seventh place in the Eastern Conference after a 6-3 win Feb. 6 over the Edmonton Oilers, four points behind fourth-place Philadelphia, and head coach Ron Wilson was thinking not just of his team making the playoffs but of getting home-ice advantage in the first round.

Then came the losses that sent Toronto tumbling down the standings. Ottawa, a point behind the Leafs on Feb. 7, went on a 7-1-1 surge and moved to within a point of the division lead after Wednesday's games. Washington and Winnipeg passed Toronto as well. Tampa Bay and Buffalo, tied for 11th in the East, were just one point behind, both with a game in hand.

So what went wrong?

Feb. 7: Jets 2 Leafs 1

This is where it all started to go downhill. Following the win over Edmonton, which improved Toronto's record to 5-0-1 in its last six games, the Leafs hopped on a plane for Winnipeg for their second game in two nights. Though they scored first, they did not have the legs to skate with the Jets. “The back-to-back games weren't a factor,” defenceman Luke Schenn said.

Feb. 9: Flyers 4 Leafs 3

It looked to be a playoff preview, a test to see how Toronto matched up against a Stanley Cup contender. But the Flyers dominated early at home, and tightened up their play late. Reimer, who had given up three goals in three games after the all-star break, was beaten four times in this game, something that was about to become a trend. And the Leafs, with the loss to Philadelphia, had now dropped 16 of 22 games against teams holding down a playoff spot.

Feb. 11: Canadiens 5 Leafs 0

Before his number was raised to the rafters, former captain Mats Sundin admitted that the “pressure to perform” in Toronto “can be overwhelming.” On cue, the Leafs put forth one of their worst efforts of the season. Reimer was pulled after allowing four goals on 15 shots and the team was booed off the ice. “We've done a lot of hard work to get where we're at, and we've let it slip a little bit in the last week,” captain Dion Phaneuf said.

Feb. 14: Flames 5 Leafs 1

Despite firing 41 shots on goalie Miikka Kiprusoff, the Leafs managed only one goal to open a swing through Western Canada. Mikhail Grabovski, who has gone all of February without a goal, blamed a new batch of sticks for his scoring woes. But there might be more to it than that. With his contract coming to an end, the Leafs and Grabovski have yet to come to terms on a new deal. At this point, there is speculation he might be traded.

Feb. 15: Leafs 4 Oilers 3 (OT)

A four-game slide came to an end when Tim Connolly, who had gone 17 games without a goal, scored in overtime. It did not matter that it came against the 29th-place team in the NHL; the players were just happy to win a game. “You don't lose four games in a row all that often,” rookie defenceman Jake Gardiner said. Um, you sure about that?

Feb. 18: Canucks 6 Leafs 2

A new streak began for the Leafs, who were thoroughly outplayed by the Canucks. Reimer was pulled for the second time in three starts. “Before the game, we sat in the dressing room and talked about how winning would make this a good road trip,” Phaneuf said. “We lose, and it's a bad trip. But, I'll be honest with you: There isn't a hint of panic in this room.”

Feb. 21: Devils 4 Leafs 3 (OT)

The Leafs picked up a point at home, but only after forcing overtime with 44 seconds left in the third period. And the point was overshadowed by another shaky goaltending performance, this one by Jonas Gustavsson, who ended February with an 0-3-1 record and an .880 save percentage. The next day, GM Brian Burke told a Toronto radio station that he might have to bring in goaltending help at the deadline. “Last night, I have no answer for that,” Burke said. “Three of those goals have to stay out - I'm not sure we're not going to be in the market before we're done.”

Feb. 23: Sharks 2 Leafs 1

Another loss. Another excuse. With the trade deadline only days away, head coach Ron Wilson hinted that the players might be distracted by all the rumours swirling around the city. Burke would later echo this sentiment by saying, “I think the trade deadline is hard on players, but I think it's murder on players in Toronto. And we just had a serious debate whether next year we're going to 1/8impose our own deadline 3/8 10 days earlier so the players can relax.”

Feb. 25: Capitals 4 Leafs 2

The Leafs gave up two early goals and lost once again - this time to a team directly above them in the standings - but Burke refrained from making a knee-jerk reaction at the Feb. 27 trade deadline. “That can't be how you guide the ship,” he said. “You can't change course because you have 10 bad days out of 180 or 190 days in the season. You can't. And I still believe this team can get it back on the rails.”

Feb. 28: Panthers 5 Leafs 3

Fans were still getting to their seats when Schenn gave away the puck for a goal 13 seconds into the game. Two minutes later, the Leafs went down 2-0 for the fifth straight game, causing fans to chants “Fire Wilson!” After the game, which left the Leafs with just one point in a four-game homestand, the coach sounded like a man defeated. “(Hearing the chant is) frustrating, but understandable,” Wilson said. “Everybody's frustrated right now.”

Feb. 29: Blackhawks 5 Leafs 4

With Wilson's job supposedly hanging in the balance, the Leafs headed out of town and actually jumped out to a 3-1 lead in the first period. But Chicago scored the next four goals, and the end result was the same. “This isn't pressure,” Wilson said, moments after the defeat. “Pressure is fighting for your life when you have cancer. Here, we're just trying to win hockey games.”

Full article :http://www.vancouversun.com/Toronto+...869/story.html

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Dayjobdave

Pretty good article.

the reality is that it was a really difficult part of the schedule, and there were only a few games that we 'should' have won in that stretch.

Now they have to go find a few wins that aren't expected, plus the ones that are.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

This article makes me more depressed.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Schennanigans

5 one goal losses. The Killer, 4 of those 5 in regulation.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
BooRadley

Didn't Liles come back from injury in the beginning of Feb too? He mustvw brought some sort of hex with him.

Anyway, Wilson's team has these 10 game meltdowns every year. Maybe he needs to change his approach when things get a little tough. I still think he can coach judging by his record pre meltdown. I wonder what he says or doesn't say inthw dressing room aside from the finger pointing that doesn't resonate with the team. Fire Wilson for the simple reason that he's not a big game coach when games seem to matter the most.

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

The Leafs after Winnipeg

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
Didn't Liles come back from injury in the beginning of Feb too? He mustvw brought some sort of hex with him.

Anyway, Wilson's team has these 10 game meltdowns every year. Maybe he needs to change his approach when things get a little tough. I still think he can coach judging by his record pre meltdown. I wonder what he says or doesn't say inthw dressing room aside from the finger pointing that doesn't resonate with the team. Fire Wilson for the simple reason that he's not a big game coach when games seem to matter the most.
there is definitely some truth in the fact that in each of the last 4 years, when the team has fallen on tough times they have become really jumpy and tentative.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
mooseOAK*

If I hadn't actually watched the games myself then I might have wasted time reading all of that.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

"Two Weeks of HORROR" starring the Maple Leafs. Directed by RON WILSON.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If I hadn't actually watched the games myself then I might have wasted time reading all of that.
but it's full of insight you may have missed. I think you should take the time to read it. just for fun

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Beleafer4

Goaltending

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
KuleminFan41

The Vancouver sun?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
number72

Great article - it ties a lot of interesting points together.
For example - Burke talks about trading Schenn, Grabbo and looking for goaltending.

Then the next week talks about how the media puts too much pressure on players in Toronto during the deadline.

Well Mr Burke - don't even bring it up trading players if you don't want the media to cover it. Seriously this guy needs to stop making excuses, shut up and make the playoffs already.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Great article - it ties a lot of interesting points together.
For example - Burke talks about trading Schenn, Grabbo and looking for goaltending.

Then the next week talks about how the media puts too much pressure on players in Toronto during the deadline.

Well Mr Burke - don't even bring it up trading players if you don't want the media to cover it. Seriously this guy needs to stop making excuses, shut up and make the playoffs already.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Burke tell Schenn that he wasn't actively shopping him but couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't be traded? That's not really talking about trading him. I also don't remember anything being said about Grabovski but I may have missed that one.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Burke tell Schenn that he wasn't actively shopping him but couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't be traded? That's not really talking about trading him. I also don't remember anything being said about Grabovski but I may have missed that one.
That is correct about Schenn - he said he couldn't guarantee he would not be traded.
And during the contract negotiation in February, the leafs were offered a second round pick and AHL prospect for Mikhail Grabovski.

And with Reimer, the point is he needs to run a tighter ship and not leak rumours or cut them off if he is concerned about how this effects players.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
the only thing he said about Grabovski was he didn't want to trade him

Old
Stephen

Really sad that this team just coughed up a playoff spot like that. They seemed to unravel just as teams like Winnipeg and Ottawa started getting hot, ironically like the Leafs normally do around this time of year. I'm as hard on the Leafs as anyone, but in general this group deserved a better fate considering the career years from a number of guys and the general positive atmosphere the team fostered for most of the season unlike previous years. Makes you think, if not this season, then when?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hero
The Corporal Returns

If this club can turn it around and get going again I'm confident they can make the playoffs, everyone aroudn us has been playing pretty bad.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
the only thing he said about Grabovski was he didn't want to trade him
Look at what Feaster said - I will not trade Kipper and Iggy. And he says it every year.
Burke is all wishy washy, I don't want to trade Grabbo but if I get an offer I cant' say no to then I have to look at it.

The point is how dumb is it to say these things about goaltending, Schenn, Grabbo - when he knows they the media job is to report these things - and create a frenzy. He is using this as an excuse, because he was free to do what Feaster says about how he will NEVER trade Kipper and Iggy. And Feaster makes that clear so those players don't have to worry about "pressure" if that trading pressure exists at all.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Look at what Feaster said - I will not trade Kipper and Iggy. And he says it every year.
Burke is all wishy washy, I don't want to trade Grabbo but if I get an offer I cant' say no to then I have to look at it.

The point is how dumb is it to say these things about goaltending, Schenn, Grabbo - when he knows they the media job is to report these things - and create a frenzy. He is using this as an excuse, because he was free to do what Feaster says about how he will NEVER trade Kipper and Iggy. And Feaster makes that clear so those players don't have to worry about "pressure" if that trading pressure exists at all.
I guess you one who thinks pressure is a bad thing

Old
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I guess you one who thinks pressure is a bad thing
Look at the media heavy Jets or Rangers at the trade deadline, they started winning.
And the Sharks and leafs started losing.

Same deadline for everyone - I think it is excuse.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
im so gonna not read the article.. i might cry

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
That is correct about Schenn - he said he couldn't guarantee he would not be traded.
And during the contract negotiation in February, the leafs were offered a second round pick and AHL prospect for Mikhail Grabovski.

And with Reimer, the point is he needs to run a tighter ship and not leak rumours or cut them off if he is concerned about how this effects players.
So he didn't really talk about trading Schenn or Grabovski and in fact informed Schenn he wasn't shopping him around. Other than mentioning he might be looking for a goalie I don't see what you're complaining about.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
number72

Quote:
So he didn't really talk about trading Schenn or Grabovski and in fact informed Schenn he wasn't shopping him around. Other than mentioning he might be looking for a goalie I don't see what you're complaining about.
I'm not complaining. I'm saying he could kept his mouth shut and not raise speculation about Grabbo/Schenn/Goalie. If there is pressure on the team, Burke brought it himself.

Old
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Gatorade*

The Leafs still have a chance but if they ultimately don't get in would it be fair to say that Brian Burke architected the biggest Leaf collapse in recent memory?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote