HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brett Lawrie owns spring training. Like we all didn't see that one coming...

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Wouldn't this disrupt the natural rhythms of some players? I could image that getting information from two separate sources could be pretty confusing and not be very productive.
Unless they assigned certain guys to certain coaches?

Old
03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I may be in the minority, but I don't see McDade as much more then a bench-player in the future.

For a first-baseman he sure doesn't hit for a lot of power.
I think had he not gotten hurt last year he'd have put up ridiculous numbers.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Perhaps, in the two hitting coach situation, the team determines which coach is better for a player and the other coach says nothing to that player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Unless they assigned certain guys to certain coaches?
As long as the general philosophy of what the team is trying to do is not taken for a ride.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:54 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Sounds right; untapped power potential, and if I recall correctly, a bit of a wizard with the glove around the bag.
I guess you could say the same thing about Moses Sierra too, then. If the hit tool picks up, he could work his way into the mix.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
As long as the general philosophy of what the team is trying to do is not taken for a ride.
There'd have to be no stepping on toes, agreed. And so long as the coaches aren't players fathers or something, haha.

But hell, teams invest so much in players, what would more personalized coaches/trainers cost? A tiny fraction of what most players make.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, but a slugging percentage of .457 and a walk-percentage of 5.3% doesn't get me overly excited for his future.

Nonetheless, he is a very-good defender and is capable of hitting for a fairly high-average, so I do see him having some sort of future in this league.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what kind of impact he'll be able to have.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingefan View Post
Sounds right; untapped power potential, and if I recall correctly, a bit of a wizard with the glove around the bag.
I guess you could say the same thing about Moses Sierra too, then. If the hit tool picks up, he could work his way into the mix.
Ya he's supposed to be VERY good defensively.

Sierra has a cannon of an arm and hit very well last year after missing almost all of 2010 with injuries. The issue is, where does he play? Who does he bump? Big time trade candidate there.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:47 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, but a slugging percentage of .457 and a walk-percentage of 5.3% doesn't get me overly excited for his future.

Nonetheless, he is a very-good defender and is capable of hitting for a fairly high-average, so I do see him having some sort of future in this league.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what kind of impact he'll be able to have.
Try to find his numbers pre injury, I can't but if you do, they're big. I believe it was a wrist injury too which hurt him a lot.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
aingefan

Quote:
Ya he's supposed to be VERY good defensively.

Sierra has a cannon of an arm and hit very well last year after missing almost all of 2010 with injuries. The issue is, where does he play? Who does he bump? Big time trade candidate there.
With both Sierra and McDade, they'll probably both need strong seasons to cement their prospect status being 23 entering AAA. Both had OK years in AA last year, but neither shattered the earth with results (both sub 800 OPS). Both guys will need to shatter that level before being considered as upgrades on the guys ahead of them.
Both have health issues in their recent past. Hoping first for continued health, and then good production.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Try to find his numbers pre injury, I can't but if you do, they're big. I believe it was a wrist injury too which hurt him a lot.
I found his splits here.

You're right, his power was better pre-injury (ISO's of .233 and .257 in May and June, although just a .122 in March/April) but his walk-rates still weren't very good (4.7% in March/Arpil and June, and 7.9% in May). It's also worth noting that the power he displayed was for a two-month period, so it may have just been a hot-streak (I suspect it's a mix of both ability, and hot-streak).

Like I said, I believe he has a future in the league, as his swing-to-contact percentages are good, and his defense is supposed to be very good as well, but I don't see him being a starting first-baseman in the AL East.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Anyone know anyway to watch Jays games on iPhone if you live 2-hours away from Toronto?

I'm thinking MLB.tv will be blacked out ... hoping there is another way..

I know I can listen on radio when at work, but I'd love to be able to watch the games on break and stuff.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:16 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I found his splits here.

You're right, his power was better pre-injury (ISO's of .233 and .257 in May and June, although just a .122 in March/April) but his walk-rates still weren't very good (4.7% in March/Arpil and June, and 7.9% in May). It's also worth noting that the power he displayed was for a two-month period, so it may have just been a hot-streak (I suspect it's a mix of both ability, and hot-streak).

Like I said, I believe he has a future in the league, as his swing-to-contact percentages are good, and his defense is supposed to be very good as well, but I don't see him being a starting first-baseman in the AL East.
I think he'll get the same talk Lawrie did, "go to the minors, learn to take a walk, then we'll talk"

He is similar to Sierra in that there just might not be room for him. That being said though, if he's playing well, and Lind gets hurt, it could be him over Cooper that gets called up.

Old
Cappayne

Is the game supposed to be broadcast on The Fan590? I'm listening online and it's just talk, no game.

Old
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Snider hits a double in his first at-bat and also steals 3rd base.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:18 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Just saw this, Litsch out for 6 weeks. Guy just cant stay healthy.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2012/3...ch-out-6-weeks

Old
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Today's lineup:

Rajai Davis CF

Travis Snider LF

Ben Francisco RF

Brett Lawrie 3B

David Cooper 1B

J.P. Arencibia DH

Luis Valbuena 2B

Jeff Mathis C

Adieny Hechavarria SS

Old
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappayne View Post
Is the game supposed to be broadcast on The Fan590? I'm listening online and it's just talk, no game.
Can't listen live online but you can listen if you use an actual radio.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:23 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
I think he'll get the same talk Lawrie did, "go to the minors, learn to take a walk, then we'll talk"

He is similar to Sierra in that there just might not be room for him. That being said though, if he's playing well, and Lind gets hurt, it could be him over Cooper that gets called up.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he's the best first-base prospect we have right now, I just don't think he's the long-term solution if we're serious about contending for a world-series.

I'm not a big-fan of Lind, so I would actually like to see what McDade can do at some point this season, although I'm sure that won't happen unless Lind gets hurt.

I may be wrong about McDade. He may explode and become a legitimate starting first-baseman in the AL East. If he does then great, I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Halladay pitching on sportsnet.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:27 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Just gave up a hr to arod.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Stats01

I hate that Rogers won't even bother showing their own team on TV during spring training but they'll show the Yankees...just so much fail.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Everlong
-

Lawrie with a sb. His 2nd of the pre-season. I know, it's grapefruit league, but he's already got the mentality that he wants to use his speed this season.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Anyone know anyway to watch Jays games on iPhone if you live 2-hours away from Toronto?

I'm thinking MLB.tv will be blacked out ... hoping there is another way..

I know I can listen on radio when at work, but I'd love to be able to watch the games on break and stuff.
If it's anything like Centre Ice/Gamecentre, it'll be blacked out pretty much anywhere in Canada because Sportsnet has all the games and have coverage across the entire country.

If the Sharks and Bruins are on TSN, Gamecentre blacks me out from watching it here in Vancouver even though neither team is local because it's being picked up on a national broadcast that I theoretically have access to (and it can't be because they know I get TSN, because they won't have my cable bill to know what channels are included in my package.)

But I can't say that'll be the case with certainty.

EDIT:

Quote:
All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com Gameday Audio are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_subscriptions.jsp#q10

The entirety of the country counts as Blue Jays home TV territory. Other teams have small cuts of the country too (Seattle has BC and the Yukon, Minnesota has Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and Boston has a chunk of the Maritimes I think), but everywhere is Blue Jays territory.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Just saw this, Litsch out for 6 weeks. Guy just cant stay healthy.

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2012/3...ch-out-6-weeks
I think we've been relatively lucky in terms of injuries so far. Most guys have come into camp in great shape. Always been rooting for Litsch but he's a stopgap solution. If anything this could be a blessing in disguise which allows someone else to step up. Most likely Perez.

Old
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
weems

Lawrie is a freak.
I really wonder how good this kid will be when hes 26-27

Closed Thread