HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dartmouth - Jessiman on TV tonight

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2004, 03:48 PM
john g

vCash: 500
Dartmouth - Jessiman on TV tonight

For those in New England that get NESN on cable or those with a dish that get NESN -- Dartmouth plays Quinnipiac at 7 pm tonight

Old
10-30-2004, 08:29 PM
john g

i believe it was Dartmouth's first game of the year - Jessiman was pretty much invisible

Darthmouth outshot Quinnipiac 45-11 and lost 2-1

Old
10-30-2004, 09:04 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Fan
i believe it was Dartmouth's first game of the year - Jessiman was pretty much invisible

hmm that is a tad weird.

Old
10-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Fan

I wouldn't say "invisible." He had several good chances, even with two or more guys draped all over him. The sneak peak in the Bobcats' dressing room during intermission (when the coach was addressing the team) showed all you needed to know about which guy they were going to key in on, and it wasn't Lee Stempniak.

* The Bobcats jersies are sweet!

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 10-30-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old
10-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
The sneak peak in the Bobcats' dressing room during intermission (when the coach was addressing the team) showed all you needed to know about which guy they were going to key in on, and it wasn't Lee Stempniak.
It wasn't Nick Johnson was it?

Old
10-30-2004, 10:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I watched and taped the game. Not a good showing by Dartmouth, who played well but you just can't lose to Q on homecoming weekend after being rated so high this year. I like the physical game Dartmouth played though. I was impressed by David Jones, Stempniak is quick and Jessiman looks huge out there, but I was hoping that line could do more. Nick Johnson while I didn't see too much of him looked ok considering it was his first game along with Jones and J T Wyman.

For the Q, their goalie had a big game, and Craig Ludwig's son looked decent, don't know if he's been drafted or not in '04.

Old
10-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Kubera55

First time seeing Jessiman play a full game, interesting to say the least.

First off, was anyone but me surprised by how physical he wasn't? I mean, he's not Radek Dvorak, but he certainly isn't Todd Bertuzzi either. I was reminded a lot (at least stylistically) of a sort of bigger, slower, Jagr. He sort of glides around the offensive zone, always moving. Lethal shot, solid passer, o.k. stick handler. But definitely not the huge, bruising, dominate the crease PF that I was expecting.

Second, I thought he played reasonably well. He had at least 4-5 solid scoring opportunities, but no one could finish all night. It's disapointing considering the competition, but it's not like he didn't do anything. Actually the guy I was most unpleasantly surprised by was Stempeniak... he basically didn't show up until the third period, he took two bad lazy penalties, and only generated 2-3 offensive opportunities all night. He looked slow, slightly built, and easily bullied off the puck. This is a Hobey Baker candidate? Color me less than dazzled.

Other quick thoughts:
-Grant Lewis looked great on offense, and did a good job on the PP point. (great keep-ins).
-Anyone know anything about that Oulette kid? He was forechecking like a demon, skated hard every shift, and was hitting and making things happen all night. I thought he was Dartmouth's best player.
-Dartmouth's coach has his work cut out for him. The team looked disorganized most of the game. They had 11 PP's to work with an basically didn't do much with them. Stempeniak is supposed to be his Captain and best player, and he played like *****, Jessiman was floating for stretches, and his Goalie was several shades less than impressive.

Old
10-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Fish

The NCAA really isn't a physical league for the most part, but yes...Jessiman wasn't overly physical, though he was at the net on almost all scoring chance. There was also a rush where he took the puck the length of the ice that showed what he can do when skating freely.

It was the first game for Dartmouth this year and they didn't look particularly strong against a stifling Quinnipiac defense, but they still managed all those shots. I expect they'll get somewhat better as they get a couple more games under their belt.

Another player who I thought had a good game was Mike Ouellette a 22 year old undrafted centerman who was pivot on the second line for Dartmouth. Not the best hands I've seen, but excellent penalty killing and had some good chances on offense, including on the 2nd unit PP.

Old
10-31-2004, 06:05 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

My take on the game was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
The NCAA really isn't a physical league for the most part, but yes...Jessiman wasn't overly physical, though he was at the net on almost all scoring chance. There was also a rush where he took the puck the length of the ice that showed what he can do when skating freely.

It was the first game for Dartmouth this year and they didn't look particularly strong against a stifling Quinnipiac defense, but they still managed all those shots. I expect they'll get somewhat better as they get a couple more games under their belt.

Another player who I thought had a good game was Mike Ouellette a 22 year old undrafted centerman who was pivot on the second line for Dartmouth. Not the best hands I've seen, but excellent penalty killing and had some good chances on offense, including on the 2nd unit PP.
While I understand Hugh's desire to finish something at Dartmouth, after all they were the preseason #1 pick for the ECAC. Having said that, Dartmouth is not an overly good team. Granted it was my 1st game watching Huge and Dartmouth, but after watching that game there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he made a HUGE mistake staying. It is going to be a waste of a year. He would be far better served having played in Hartford with the Wolfpack.

Hugh himslef, my 1st thought was Willie Huber. The boy needs to get down and dirty. There is no sense being 6'5" if you are not going to use your size to your advantage. As you said Fish the ECAC is not overly physical. Later last night I watched Denver and Wisconsin. In 2 minutes there was more bodychecks than in the whole Dartmouth game. I think he sees the ice very well and for a big guy is a deft passer. Too bad his linemates appear to have Gene Carr hands.

Old
10-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Levitate

he just scored his first goal of the year tonight against UCON, on the PP

dartmouth is up on UCON 2-0 in the first

as for his playing style...well i dunno, for one i remember him saying he thought of himself as more of a playmaking powerforward...so for one, if we're all expecting him to park himself in front of the net all day long then i think we're going to be dissapointed (if he's playing a playmaking game, cuz you obviously can't do much playmaking standing in front like that)

and for the physical part...i don't know, he's said numerous times he likes the physical game, but who knows for sure? maybe he just had an off game, maybe he was trying too hard to do other things, i have no clue. i think it's gonna be necessary to see him over a span of time to get a good idea on that...

hartford vs. DC, wish he had gone to hartford but if he can put together a real good year then it could help him in the end

Old
10-31-2004, 07:05 PM
xander

in one of the iterveiws up on the rangers site hugh said he modled his game after Joe Thornton, which would fit into the powerforward with skill mold. Of course, if he wants to be like Joe he's going to have to play a physical game...

Old
10-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Levitate

thornton's not really that physical...he just uses his size effectively

Old
10-31-2004, 08:25 PM
Fish

Agreed on the comparison with Thornton, or Doan for that matter...most power forwards aren't physical as much as they are strong. However, I do have to disagree about him parking himself in front of the net...he did do a lot of that, and driving to the net last night. Yet standing in front of the net is more along the lines of a guy like Konowalchuk or Holmstrom...both good players, but second tier guys.

I'm not looking for Jessiman to knock heads, that's for guys who don't have the scoring ability...I want to see him use his smarts and his strength to score.

Old
10-31-2004, 08:27 PM
icthelight

Did anyone see his goal tonight on tv or in person?

Old
10-31-2004, 08:55 PM
NYR469

lots of times big skilled players use their size more to power thru defenders then to throw checks, guys like jagr & thornton are almost impossible to contain because defenders can't control them because they are too strong...they are extremely hard to knock off the puck and even harder to move from in front of the net...

but the best of those players usually also have a mean streak and are capable of hitting like a freight train when the situation calls for it...and when you are 6'5 225+ you don't need to plaster a guy every shift, you freight train one guy and the rest of the game defenders are looking over their shoulders

Old
10-31-2004, 11:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight
Did anyone see his goal tonight on tv or in person?
Not a Ranger fan but i went to the Dartmouth/Quinipiac game on sat. night. Dartmouth controlled the play in the game but they were also givin i would say 10 or 11 PP chances. Jessiman played fairly well but the kid who impressed me more was the kid who is the property of Colorado, forward David Jones.
i see that Jessiman did score tonite for Dartmouth in their 4-1 win over UCONN.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Not a Ranger fan but i went to the Dartmouth/Quinipiac game on sat. night. Dartmouth controlled the play in the game but they were also givin i would say 10 or 11 PP chances. Jessiman played fairly well but the kid who impressed me more was the kid who is the property of Colorado, forward David Jones.
i see that Jessiman did score tonite for Dartmouth in their 4-1 win over UCONN.
Nice to see that I wasn't the only one that thought that Jones played well.

My two cents: Jessiman had his moments in this particular game, but I've seen him (and the Dartmouth team for that matter) play much, much better than what they've shown. When Jessiman dominates the game, he is definitely a sight to watch and the game vs. QU that wasn't the case.

I also agree with Fish on the play of Mike Ouellette who I thought also played well.

What many of you here are missing is two things: 1) this was just Dartmouth's first game of the year and the way they played against the Bobcats is NOT typical of Dartmouth hockey. I've seen Dartmouth (as well as Jessiman) several times in the past and they do play a lot better than what you all saw on Saturday. 2) It's obvious that many of you are unaware of Quinnipiac...or more to the point, Jamie Holden. Holden was arguably one of the best netminders in the country that no one had heard of last season. He finished in the top 25 in the nation last season in GAA, Save % and winning percentage last season. In fact I mention much of this in my Game Notes.

Quote:
For the Q, their goalie had a big game, and Craig Ludwig's son looked decent, don't know if he's been drafted or not in '04.
Dan, you're thinking of Trevor Ludwig who plays for Providence and yes, he's been drafted by the Dallas Stars. Aaron Ludwig was never drafted and as far as I know is not related to Craig Ludwig.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Levitate

i haven't seen hugh before but that's kind of the feeling i got from this game, with him and dartmouth not really playing like they can.

first game, still some rust, still working some things out...i have a feeling it'll get better. he did score his first goal yesterday and hopefully will pick up some steam

Old
11-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
My two cents: Jessiman had his moments in this particular game, but I've seen him (and the Dartmouth team for that matter) play much, much better than what they've shown. When Jessiman dominates the game, he is definitely a sight to watch and the game vs. QU that wasn't the case.
Agreed bigtime. The unfortunate thing is Dartmouth has no other scheduled televised games (at least not on CSTV this season), so unless they make it as a tournament team there won't be another shot to see Jessiman on the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Dan, you're thinking of Trevor Ludwig who plays for Providence and yes, he's been drafted by the Dallas Stars. Aaron Ludwig was never drafted and as far as I know is not related to Craig Ludwig.
Craig Ludwig has two sons, the aforementioned Trevor and Tyler. Tyler is still playing for the Texas Tornado.

Old
11-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
any idea where i can find some stats on JESSIMAN for this season?

Old
11-05-2004, 08:19 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
uscho.com has stats for all college players

Old
11-05-2004, 08:27 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
www.outsidethegarden.com it has stats for every prospect on one page. Good job Fish!

Old
11-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
ok,thanks a lot,very nice site! one more question...do u think Jessiman can make the Rangers out of camp next season? or does he need some time in AHL?
and do u think Jessiman can be a first line guy?

Old
11-05-2004, 09:40 PM
in the hall

Quote:
ok,thanks a lot,very nice site! one more question...do u think Jessiman can make the Rangers out of camp next season? or does he need some time in AHL?
and do u think Jessiman can be a first line guy?
yes, agood chance he does

Tom Renny said they wanted to sign Jessiman this past off season and if there had been a season they'd expreriment playing him opposite of Jagr from the start

Old
11-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Levitate

hugh is off to a slow start...2 points in 3 games, got an assist last night

but i have no idea how much teams are keying in on him...if they are focusing on him, it may be opening up the ice for the other players.

makes me a little concerned that he hasn't ripped off a big game yet though, but it's only 3 games into the season...

Closed Thread