HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
It depends on the player. If they're about to negotiate a contract, playing injured, or are just too exhausted; they usually pass on their invite. Guys that are locks for consideration tend to pass as well.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Like I said, it's "glorified"

Players still show up for regular exhibition games, do they not?

Dont get me wrong, this tournament means something, but it is a prelude to a much greater event IMO. This is analogous to exhibition games being a prelude to the regular season, or the regular season being a prelude to the playoffs. Get my drift?
You mean the ones that they are required to, because they are under contract for their team? What other exhibition games do you see?

No, I don't buy it. A player like Jack Johnson is a good example of why. When Team USA calls, he answers. Not to mention the European players who seem to take great pride in playing in the tournament. Some players will even play injured, when they are better off getting healthy. If it was a "glorified" exhibition game, they wouldn't be putting themselves on the line like that. Not every player wears their national colors with pride, or sees the international tournaments as anything more than bragging rights, but there are plenty that do, and give a tournament like this meaning.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:56 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Oh boy. I'd say more but I wouldn't want my pessimism getting in the way of anyone else's optimism.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Like I said, it's "glorified"

Players still show up for regular exhibition games, do they not?

Dont get me wrong, this tournament means something, but it is a prelude to a much greater event IMO. This is analogous to exhibition games being a prelude to the regular season, or the regular season being a prelude to the playoffs. Get my drift?
Maybe to our American players. That'd be a convenient excuse why we suck so much usually. Every cares except us (and maybe Canada).

Old
05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
First real year following World Championships.

Do players come straight to the USA team after losing series? Esspically late in playoffs?
The team is usually picked by the end of the first round except for about 2 or 3 spots. After that they try to add players but its usually just young guys who have something to prove. JVR last year, Smith this year.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Hey guys big team USA supporter.

Got a pretty n00by question though...how are you guys watching these games?

Old
05-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You mean the ones that they are required to, because they are under contract for their team? What other exhibition games do you see?

No, I don't buy it. A player like Jack Johnson is a good example of why. When Team USA calls, he answers. Not to mention the European players who seem to take great pride in playing in the tournament. Some players will even play injured, when they are better off getting healthy. If it was a "glorified" exhibition game, they wouldn't be putting themselves on the line like that. Not every player wears their national colors with pride, or sees the international tournaments as anything more than bragging rights, but there are plenty that do, and give a tournament like this meaning.
You still totally missed what I meant by glorified exhibition (I even created an analogy for you!) That's fine, whatever. Let's move on.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
Hey guys big team USA supporter.

Got a pretty n00by question though...how are you guys watching these games?
NBC Sports has all the US games.

Supposedly going to have all the knockout round games as well.

The rest, if you want them, you'll have to find on the internet.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:13 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Win and they are in.

A win against Kazakhstan is a requirement.

A win against either Finland or Switzerland would likely do the job.

Matchup with your opposite in the group. So right now it would be US-Canada and Finland-Slovakia

Finland 12
Canada 10
United States 8
Slovakia 6
------------------------------------------
Switzerland 6
Belarus 3
France 3
Kazakhstan 0
Now:

Canada 13
Finland 12
USA 10
Slovakia 9

The US needs to beat Finland tomorrow, hopefully by 2 goals or more, to help out on the goal differential. Finland is now +9, the USA +7. Winning by two reverses that stat in case of a tie. The US has to beat Switzerland in the final game. That puts the US in 2nd place with 16 points no matter what Finland or Slovakia does.

Slovakia plays Switzerland and France, who also have to play each other since they have 3 games remaining, versus two for the other six teams in the group. I assume that Canada wins both games remaining against Belarus and Kazakhstan to get to 19 points. It looks like the US would play Finland in the quarterfinals. If the US wins, they would play Canada.

I liked it better when there was a quarterfinals crossover. At the moment, the US would play the Czechs, assuming they finished second and the Czechs in third in their group.

Last edited by adsfan: 05-12-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old
05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Finnpin

Tomorrow will be great and I think we'll see in the quarters again.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

It looks like the French are about to help us out big time as they're up 4-2 on the Swiss late in the third. If the Slovaks can beat the Swiss in regulation in their next game then we'd make the QF regardless of the outcome of our final two games.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

huge win by France...pretty much assures us into the quarters now....

thank you France...for once!

still need to play our game and win 1 of the next 2 to lock us in, but if we can win both, I would rather have a top 2 spot then having to play against Canada or Finland in the quarters

Old
05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It looks like the French are about to help us out big time as they're up 4-2 on the Swiss late in the third. If the Slovaks can beat the Swiss in regulation in their next game then we'd make the QF regardless of the outcome of our final two games.
And the US would play Canada in the first quarterfinal, because Slovakia would be in third place with 9 points. This is why I didn't include the bottom four teams. They will knock each other off or lose to the top four teams and won't catch up. France could get to 12 points.

I expect the US to play Finland in the quarters, whether it is 2-3 or 3-2 ranking.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:51 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
huge win by France...pretty much assures us into the quarters now....

thank you France...for once!

still need to play our game and win 1 of the next 2 to lock us in, but if we can win both, I would rather have a top 2 spot then having to play against Canada or Finland in the quarters
You don't understand. There is no quarterfinal crossover! The US would play teams in their own group, probably Finland. Canada would play the #4 team, probably Slovakia. The winners play in the semis.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:52 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

We actually have to start trying lol.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/schedule.html

I think it's funny how they write out "United States of America"

If I were international and someone asked me "hey, where are you from" I'd say "the US", "The United States", "America", "the USA" but I don't think I'd ever say "I am from the United States of America"

Old
05-12-2012, 12:39 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
The reason you dont take Hal Gill is because he's old as balls. The reason for these tourneys are to see how the young guys play. Wonder why Iginla or Smyth aren't on Team Canada while Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins are? You're basically testing Petry, Butler, Braun, etc. to give them experience. Who knows, some of them may be in the playoffs next year and wont have this opportunity. For Sochi, these guys could be studs and you want them with some big ice experience. Hal Gill is in the twilight of his career, has just undergone a grueling season and two playoff series, and probably doesn't really care. This is a young man's tournament.
Tell me this is a joke? Butler has zero chance of even sniffing the summer camp, zero. If there could be less than zero, Butler would own it.

Hal Gill in 2014 will be 38 when the Sochi games end. He will still be better than Butler at that point. In fact Gill will be better than Butler until the day he retires.

Butler got an invite because they needed to fill slots, wanted NHL guys and Butler said yes, its as simple as that. As I said earlier Butler isn't even in the top 30
of US dmen in the NHL and Hal "No Skill" Gill clearly is.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
those lines are all over the place....

not a fan of really any of them to be honest..

seperating Ryan, Pac, and Stastny is silly at this point. they didnt have nearly the game they should have, but I really dont like splitting these guys up for the sake of it
Not really, you're are simply inserting Brown (he's a player) and dropping Ryan with Smith to give them two decent scoring lines. Okposo's line also gives them some semblance of offense. The Thompson line is a pure defensive, energy type line.
I don't like stacking the first line, as you need 4 lines that can contribute in some meaningful way, due to the big ice surface requiring everyone to work harder.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
You don't understand. There is no quarterfinal crossover! The US would play teams in their own group, probably Finland. Canada would play the #4 team, probably Slovakia. The winners play in the semis.
that is exactly what I stated, how can you not read that?

I understand how the quarterfinals work. thats why I want the US to win to be 1 or 2 and not 3 or 4 so we dont have to play Canada or Finland...

Old
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I cannot edit, so let me just say this...

I want the US to win to get to the #1 spot so we dont have to play Canada or Finalnd. If we get the #2 spot, we will likely play Finland, which would suck....and if we finished fourth we play Canada and get killed....

can the US get the #1 spot? I dont think it is still possible really, but you never know....and are likely oponent is Finland which is not a real good draw

Old
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Not really, you're are simply inserting Brown (he's a player) and dropping Ryan with Smith to give them two decent scoring lines. Okposo's line also gives them some semblance of offense. The Thompson line is a pure defensive, energy type line.
I don't like stacking the first line, as you need 4 lines that can contribute in some meaningful way, due to the big ice surface requiring everyone to work harder.
if we are not scoring goals, then I am okay for splitting things up to try and see what sticks, but we are scoring goals so why even do that at this point?

Old
05-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:

can the US get the #1 spot? I dont think it is still possible really, but you never know....and are likely oponent is Finland which is not a real good draw
Beat Finland & the Swiss in regulation, hope Canada loses to Belarus in regulation.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
William H Bonney

John Carlson available. I'm sure they'll offer him. Not sure if he'd play but I hope he does.

05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
John Carlson available. I'm sure they'll offer him. Not sure if he'd play but I hope he does.
Would be huge....

Old
05-12-2012, 10:19 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'd offer him even if it meant saying he could have a break until any potential QF game. He's young and he does have something to prove in looking forward to Sochi so I think the chances are better than zero.

Closed Thread