HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
marpoo
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Jason Pominville or Blake Wheeler sorry

Old
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Surprised Gerbe is going, thought he would rest up after an injury riddled season (including one towards the end of the year).

Old
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Statsny is huge. A center and another 50 point player

Ryan (29-26-55)======= Stastny (21-32-53) ===== Okposo (23-21-44)
Pacioretty (32-31-63)==== Bonino (5-13-18) ====== Dwyer (5-7-11)
Gerbe (6-19-25) =============== Thompson (9-6-15) ======== Atkinson (5-6-11)

Last year's forwards

Stepan 21 24 45
C. Smith NCAA
JVR 21 19 40
Wheeler 18 26 44
Brown 3 5 8
Skille 8 11 19
Miele NCAA
Stapleton 5 2 7
Palmieri 9 8 17
Shannon 11 16 27
Gaustad 12 19 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
didnt Nick Bonino accept an invite?? he would likely fill in the 3rd center role...or ahead of Thompson I guess

Didn't see Bonino. Added him above

It would still be nice to have one more legitimate scoring threat at center and wing, but we'll see.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Article by Kevin Allen confirming latest additions: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ips/54148920/1

Sounds like they're hopeful of adding a goalie after NHL first round. Also, probably means not much interest in Montoya. I'd rather add the veteran in Boucher and hold out for a legit #1 anyway.
Sounds like they are holding out a bit more which is good. If we can keep the likes of Thompson and Dwyer on the 4th line we'll be in good shape. With the Canucks and Kings going at it it would be nice to pick up either Quick or Schneider.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

would be nice to add Tim Connolly to this squad even though he has had a down year. I doubt he will go, but he could be a perfect #2 center for us.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
would be nice to add Tim Connolly to this squad even though he has had a down year. I doubt he will go, but he could be a perfect #2 center for us.
Yes Connolly would be a good addition. We need somebody who can score or create scoring opportunities at center. OTherwise it's Stastny or bust.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
PaulieVegas

Did Ryan Miller give a reason why he wasn't going? Other than "I'm a shoe-in to make the 2014 Olympic roster so I don't need to go?" That could be a mistake as I'm not sure he's a shoe-in for 2014 anymore. Tim Thomas only seems to get better with age, Jimmy Howard was a legit Vezina candidate for a while this season and made the All-Star Team, as did Quick. Maybe next year Cory Schneider finally gets a shot at a #1 gig and plays well. I mean, it's conceivable Miller might not make it. Honestly, if you were asked to pick a team at the All-Star break to represent the USA, would you have picked Thomas, Quick, and Howard and left Miller at home? Or at least thought about it?

Hopefully we get someone good in net to commit after the first round of the playoffs. Quick, Anderson, and Bishop are all on #8 seeded teams and Howard has a very tough matchup against Nashville that Detroit might not win. I'd even take Brent Johnson if Pittsburgh can't get past Philadelphia.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Did Ryan Miller give a reason why he wasn't going? Other than "I'm a shoe-in to make the 2014 Olympic roster so I don't need to go?" That could be a mistake as I'm not sure he's a shoe-in for 2014 anymore. Tim Thomas only seems to get better with age, Jimmy Howard was a legit Vezina candidate for a while this season and made the All-Star Team, as did Quick. Maybe next year Cory Schneider finally gets a shot at a #1 gig and plays well. I mean, it's conceivable Miller might not make it. Honestly, if you were asked to pick a team at the All-Star break to represent the USA, would you have picked Thomas, Quick, and Howard and left Miller at home? Or at least thought about it?

Hopefully we get someone good in net to commit after the first round of the playoffs. Quick, Anderson, and Bishop are all on #8 seeded teams and Howard has a very tough matchup against Nashville that Detroit might not win. I'd even take Brent Johnson if Pittsburgh can't get past Philadelphia.
Miller and his 2010 performance alone will keep him in the top 3 until next Olympics. I really dont trust any other goalie not named Ryan Miller to lead my American team. Miller had a frustrating year and wanted to be in the playoffs so badly, he just mentally isnt there. I have no problems with his declining, but I will agree he will need to play for USA Hockey next year if he is in the same boat as there are other hot on his heels.

I am sure USA Hockey has talked with all the goalies in the playoffs and they know they will get some help after an elimination or two.

The likely scenario is Vancouver vs LA . that series will no matter the outcome give us our likely #1 netminder in Schneider (who could have a coming out party if he is the starter of this crew) or Quick who is a Vezina candidate.

I firmly believe that team USA is relying on these 2 guys and Ben Bishop as possible choices. I dont think Anderson would join, but it would be in his best interest to stand on his head and fight for a spot on the 2014 team.

Still dont know why Montoya hasnt been named yet...he is a solid #2 and at least gives us the insurance that we would at worst have him as our #1 if EVERYONE ELSE BAILS!!

Bachman is unproven but should be a solid net minder for years to come, just not ready to annoint him #1 yet.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post

Issue is that if the US player pool continues to basically collectively boycott the World Championships, it's hard to hold it against them individually.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Miller and his 2010 performance alone will keep him in the top 3 until next Olympics. I really dont trust any other goalie not named Ryan Miller to lead my American team. Miller had a frustrating year and wanted to be in the playoffs so badly, he just mentally isnt there. I have no problems with his declining, but I will agree he will need to play for USA Hockey next year if he is in the same boat as there are other hot on his heels.

I am sure USA Hockey has talked with all the goalies in the playoffs and they know they will get some help after an elimination or two.

The likely scenario is Vancouver vs LA . that series will no matter the outcome give us our likely #1 netminder in Schneider (who could have a coming out party if he is the starter of this crew) or Quick who is a Vezina candidate.

I firmly believe that team USA is relying on these 2 guys and Ben Bishop as possible choices. I dont think Anderson would join, but it would be in his best interest to stand on his head and fight for a spot on the 2014 team.

Still dont know why Montoya hasnt been named yet...he is a solid #2 and at least gives us the insurance that we would at worst have him as our #1 if EVERYONE ELSE BAILS!!

Bachman is unproven but should be a solid net minder for years to come, just not ready to annoint him #1 yet.
I think Schneider is an RFA, isn't he? I can't imagine he'd go if he is. Quick would be awesome. For what it's worth, NHL Radio is handing out their season-ending awards right now and they named Quick the goalie of the year.

I think the most likely scenario is that we end up with Craig Anderson or Ben Bishop, most likely the latter. And like most of you I also can't understand why Montoya isn't on the team already.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Wheeler I believe was a RFA last year, and he still went. it depends on the player, but Schneider would seem like a lock to go imo. kid wants to prove what he can be, and if he was given the #1 spot, he would jump on it.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't know if it matters, but Buff's girlfriend gave birth to their daughter a few months ago. In addition to injuries, it could be part of the reason he declined.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:54 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't know if it matters, but Buff's girlfriend gave birth to their daughter a few months ago. In addition to injuries, it could be part of the reason he declined.
declined?

I just listened to Buff's interview and he said he will likely play for Team USA at the World Championships! He said he will take these next few weeks to make sure he is okay health wise, then HE will contact USA Hockey and let them know that he is playing. they then asked him again if he is playing and he said yes, I want to, but it is still iffy until I know my health...

I havent seen anything on him declining.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:45 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Pacioretty - Statsny - XXX
Ryan - XXX - Okposo
Gerbe - XXX - Atkinson
Thompson - Bonino - Dwyer

Old
04-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Pacioretty - Statsny - XXX
Ryan - XXX - Okposo
Gerbe - XXX - Atkinson
Thompson - Bonino - Dwyer
Well I hope you are right that eventually we get a right winger better than Okposo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Well I hope you are right that eventually we get a right winger better than Okposo, but I'm not holding my breath.
I have no problems with Okposo in the top six. He's played very well the last month or two.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

atkinson is likely top 6 for this squad unless we land a Pominville or Stafford...

atkinson has played extremely well playing more minutes and with better linemates over the last few weeks. looks like he could be a real crafty offensive player especially on the big ice.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

that defense we have is shaping up to be ridiculously talented. i'd also like to see Bobby Ryan and Kyle Okposo on a line together. just need a center.

speaking of which, what's up with the lack of American centers? are most of them just still in the playoffs or what?

Old
04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

USA Hockey has officially announced 17 players to the roster, including 3 players who haven't been mentioned here; forwards Jim Slater, JT Brown and Ryan Lasch. That's rather discouraging from the standpoint of hoping for guys like Wheeler or Pominville.

Stastny
Ryan
Slater
Okposo
Gerbe
Pacioretty
Atkinson
Brown
Lasch
Dwyer
Thompson

Johnson
Fowler
Faulk
Goligoski
Petry

Bachman

http://usahockey.com/Template_Usahoc...1_03&id=316727

Old
04-11-2012, 11:05 AM
William H Bonney

I'm still ok with this roster so far. If Wheeler or Pominville want to play then add them but if not hold those 2 F spots for guys that will be available after the first round.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
nafsregnar27

Finally a team that can make up for the garbage the last couple of years. I love the defense. I was hoping they would hold some spots for after the 1st round of the playoffs. I'm satisfied with the majority of the roster.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
USA Hockey has officially announced 17 players to the roster, including 3 players who haven't been mentioned here; forwards Jim Slater, JT Brown and Ryan Lasch. That's rather discouraging from the standpoint of hoping for guys like Wheeler or Pominville.

Stastny
Ryan
Slater
Okposo
Gerbe
Pacioretty
Atkinson
Brown
Lasch
Dwyer
Thompson

Johnson
Fowler
Faulk
Goligoski
Petry

Bachman

http://usahockey.com/Template_Usahoc...1_03&id=316727
Ryan Lasch? come on, we have so many guys still out there to be naming Lasch to this team...I just dont get it.

J.T Brown is a solid kid and I am happy to see him on this team though there are better options still out there. Brown has speed to kill and he will be a nice asset to have on the bigger ice.

When I saw Brown, I screamed PLEASE GOD, NOT MIKE BROWN AGAIN!! Thank you baby Jesus!

I wont care two bits about our forwards if we land another high end center and a top 3 winger for this team when the first round concludes. This team has the chance to be a medal contender, but only if those role players are actually role players and we actually get some goaltending help not named Jack Campbell. We need some proven NHL goalies here for this to happen.

Love the defense, it is shaping up to be our strength. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Byfuglien and Gilbert as both guys could complete this defense..

Old
04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

also didnt see Nick Bonino on here...I like Nick but I am not complaining as that leaves us another forward spot to fill with a hopeful top 6 center over him...

I know sometimes USA Hockey doesnt list all the guys that accepted early on, but I hope Bonino is replaced with a higher end center..

also pleasent surprise with Jimmy Slater. I have liked him for a long time since his WJC days...he is a nice pickup and isnt a terrible #2 center if it comes down to that.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Surprised to see Lasch's name on the list. Do you guys think he is that good?

Old
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Surprised to see Lasch's name on the list. Do you guys think he is that good?
He plays is Sweden right? Another smaller skill guy. What are we building here-the lollypop guild?

Closed Thread