HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Accountability!

vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
He plays is Sweden right? Another smaller skill guy. What are we building here-the lollypop guild?
He plays in Finland, a team called Pelicans. He actually scored the most points this season (59 games, 24+38=62).

E: Most points in SM-liiga of course.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
He plays in Finland, a team called Pelicans. He actually scored the most points this season (59 games, 24+38=62).

well I guess they feel we will need his speed and it would be nice to have someone familiar with the culture/rinks/style of play etc that we will experience out there.

not a fan of Lasch, but as long as his role is limited, then what the heck.

this team cannot rely on Stastny, Pacs, and Ryan to do all the scoring. Okposo and Slater are nice to have, but we still need 2 top 6 NHL forwards (one a center) to join this team to be a true contender imo.

we are going to be really small and quick, not sure if thats wise or not, but we shall see.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post

Finland-right. Thanks.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
well I guess they feel we will need his speed and it would be nice to have someone familiar with the culture/rinks/style of play etc that we will experience out there.

this team cannot rely on Stastny, Pacs, and Ryan to do all the scoring. Okposo and Slater are nice to have, but we still need 2 top 6 NHL forwards (one a center) to join this team to be a true contender imo.

we are going to be really small and quick, not sure if thats wise or not, but we shall see.
Well, I think they do expect guys like Atkinson and Lasch to be offensive contributors. The U.S. seems to be going with more of a European model for this particular tournament. As long as the goaltending holds up we should be in good shape.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:08 PM
William H Bonney

They still have 5 open spots (3 skaters and 2 goalies) and then can add an additional 2 players after their first three round robin games.

Still plenty of maneuver room.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Well I hope you are right that eventually we get a right winger better than Okposo, but I'm not holding my breath.
Ryan is a right winger, why not put him on the top line?

Old
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
They still have 5 open spots (3 skaters and 2 goalies) and then can add an additional 2 players after their first three round robin games.

Still plenty of maneuver room.
Yeah, I think we're doing okay. If this was a NA tourney on NHL ice I might be concerned, but given its Olympic size ice the roster as is makes sense. I mean, what do you want-NHL plumbers or internationals that have skill and can navigate the big ice?

Old
04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
regard

If Chicago were to lose maybe Kane could play as a center, seems hes been at center alot this year. That would be a nice addition.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
QnebO

Quote:

Its very understandable that people in the america think that way about Lasch. Thinking how this plays up for Lasch, he has almost nothing to lose, but he can even win himself an NHL-spot at best, so I see this like no-risk, high reward. There is guys like Antti Miettinen in NHL, and Lasch is much better. Just play great in national team and they will notice it. If he is tough enough, there is a chance to show it now aguess.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
jaeger

Quote:
He plays is Sweden right? Another smaller skill guy. What are we building here-the lollypop guild?
Granlund dominated in the last WC. And Lasch dominated (was better than Granlund) this year in FEL. He can be an impact player in the International games.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
If Chicago were to lose maybe Kane could play as a center, seems hes been at center alot this year. That would be a nice addition.
Kane would never show up for this.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM
magic school bus

And please put the "C" on Jack Johnson's chest. I love that guy.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I have no problems with Okposo in the top six. He's played very well the last month or two.
I agree with you, but I think you misunderstood was I was saying.

The poster I quoted had Okposo on the 2nd line. I assumed he thought somebody better was coming to take the #1 right wing spot?

Old
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Kane would never show up for this.
he did a few years back, I doubt he would go this year, but he has played for the US at the World Championships.....

Old
04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
masa2009

Ryan Lasch has produced a lot this year but Finland is a homogenous league where scoring is very reliant on chemistry and some not so spectacular imports can boast a fairly significant production if they fit in well.
Lasch seems to be a good skater but I'm not sure if a single SM-Liiga season is that much of a reference. The rest of his resume does not have anything decisive.
To his credit though, he has performed fairly well at the Deutschland Cup, in the regular season and he's also his league's playoff top scorer. So that's about as much as you can do over the course of a single season.

Brandon Bochenski can apparently play both wings, has played an the Worlds before, has a had a couple decent stints in the NHL and is the KHL's top goal scorer.
So I kind of expected to see him if they were gonna bring Euro expats, but he wasn't at the Deutschland Cup for whatever reason despite the KHL also having a break for the Euro Hockey Tour.

I'd also have liked to see what Rob Schremp and his stickhandling can do at the Worlds too, but I see he was held without a point at the Deutschland Cup so maybe that was a factor.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Granlund dominated in the last WC. And Lasch dominated (was better than Granlund) this year in FEL. He can be an impact player in the International games.
thats great and all, but Lasch is like 26 years old...huge difference in age between him and Granlund...

I hope every American kid can play in the NHL, and Lasch had a nice career at St Cloud State, but his ship might have sailed when it comes to getting an NHL offer..

but who knows, Rafalski and Thomas were around 27-28 when they got their chance to shine in the NHL...so maybe Lasch will be the next one...ya never know.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa2009 View Post
Ryan Lasch has produced a lot this year but Finland is a homogenous league where scoring is very reliant on chemistry and some not so spectacular imports can boast a fairly significant production if they fit in well.
Lasch seems to be a good skater but I'm not sure if a single SM-Liiga season is that much of a reference.
To his credit though, he has performed well at the Deutschland Cup, in the regular season and he's also his league's playoff top scorer. So that's about as much as you can do over the course of a single season.

Brandon Bochenski can apparently play both wings, has played an the Worlds before and is the KHL's top goal scorer.
So I kind of expected to see him if they were gonna bring Euro expats, but he wasn't at the Deutschland Cup for whatever reason despite the KHL also having a break for the Euro Hockey Tour.
I'd also have liked to see what Rob Schremp and his stickhandling can do at the Worlds too, but I see he was held without a point at the Deutschland Cup so maybe that was a factor.
if there was a player from Europe that I would have liked to have seen on this team, Robbie Schremp would have been it...just for his playmaking ability alone. I always liked Schremp, and thought he would be at worst a Craig Janney type player (some big years then a fall out of the league)... but he never got those big years unfortunately.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Very excited that Slater made the team. The guy is all class.

The only downside is that he's a UFA this summer. If he has a great tournament, it might hurt our chances of re-signing him.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Very excited that Slater made the team. The guy is all class.

The only downside is that he's a UFA this summer. If he has a great tournament, it might hurt our chances of re-signing him.
I saw that he was a UFA this summer, so I immediately thought he wouldnt play for us. Pretty cool move for Slater as an injury could wreck his last big contract chance...I respect guys that do this as there is risk, but also reward. like you said, if Slater plays a prominent role on this team, he could get a nice deal from someone (especially the Jets) that sets him up for the next 3 years or so..

Old
04-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Slater's one of those guys that can fit in a variety of roles on a NHL team. He's can be a two-way go on the 3rd or 4th line, but has enough skill to not look out of place in a scoring role.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Rhaego

I wish Mueller would have gotten a call.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
xerox
Hockey pimp

Are the US team gonna cash in from the Jets?

Old
04-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I wish Mueller would have gotten a call.
He's not fully healthy and hasn't been for awhile. He's also an RFA I believe.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox View Post
Are the US team gonna cash in from the Jets?
Blake Wheeler is apparently "soul searching"

and Dustin Byfuglien said he would likely play for team USA, but only if healthy...

given the fact that the US only named 5 dmen, I would think they are waiting on Buff for the 6th spot, and then using the 7th on a first round elimination player...they filled up a lot of forwards already so I am assuming the spot on defense is Buff's if he wants it, and they are waiting for him to decide.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
he did a few years back, I doubt he would go this year, but he has played for the US at the World Championships.....
I think Chicago wins in round 1 anyways, so it doesn't matter. San Jose has some players who could be useful for Team USA if they lose. It's a lot more likely IMO. Heck, that series guarantees a good American player becoming available (Pavelski or Oshie/Backes/Shattenkirk) since one side has to lose

Closed Thread