HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 20 update: JVR removed from LTIR, will play tonight (foot surgery, March 6)

Old
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post

Wait, what's this now?
Haha, I'm just joking. I think it's unsubstantiated, but there was speculation that Gagne's neck issues last year were related to experimental injections he received as a Flyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Might as well amputate JVR's foot Civil War style..looks like it's the same doctor who put screws in Pronger's foot but that experimental plate in Carter's foot..hopefully he doesn't use JVR as another guinea pig...
"Alright James, first I'm going to drive these wood screws into your foot. Once that's completed I will remove the bones from your toes and stuff them with fly hair! You will be my masterpiece!"

03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

vCash: 500
Now if JVR can actually find the net you might be right. 30+ goal scorer with the Flyers? no. Carter was an actual grinder at times and used his size I haven't seen that from JVR yet (being 6'3'' and 211lbs).

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

"Alright James, first I'm going to drive these wood screws into your foot. Once that's completed I will remove the bones from your toes and stuff them with fly hair! You will be my masterpiece!"
yeah the end result..

JVR: My left foot

ADDED EMPHASIS

The soccer scene was the best..can see JVR now doing the hockey version and even stopping the puck for Bryz with his head

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha, I'm just joking. I think it's unsubstantiated, but there was speculation that Gagne's neck issues last year were related to experimental injections he received as a Flyer.

Haha ok. The dude probably watched that Christopher Reeves South Park, and brought Gagne a bunch of babies to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Now if JVR can actually find the net you might be right. 30+ goal scorer with the Flyers? no. Carter was an actual grinder at times and used his size I haven't seen that from JVR yet (being 6'3'' and 211lbs).
I see a lot of similarities between the players. Jvr finally started to use his size in the playoffs last year, and we saw what he has the potential to become. This year is a complete waste. He's been hurt all year, so we can't take anything out of it.

I expect a lot out of him next year, especially if he's with Giroux.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Your eyes lie to you. Jvr will always have a problem in this town because the majority of Flyers fans think like this. Jvr is an effortless skater, like Carter, so he'll always be labeled as having lack of effort because he doesn't have a short choppy stride.

Jvr definitely doesn't give the effort on D that Carter/Voracek do though.
Reminds me of Béliveau and Frank Mahovlich.

People always complained that they were simply gliding and not giving any efforts.

Then you would look at the player trying to catch up with either of them, skating like crazy, but not catching up.

A work of art.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Reminds me of Béliveau and Frank Mahovlich.

People always complained that they were simply gliding and not giving any efforts.

Then you would look at the player trying to catch up with either of them, skating like crazy, but not catching up.

A work of art.
I actually agree with this assessment. Not so much for JVR yet but in defending Carter.

People are way too quick to jump on Carter's "lack of effort." IMO his only downfall was missing the net so much, but when you score that much is it really that bad? He was solid defensively and controlled the center of the ice. If you found him with a pass he would get off a good shot and a quick one too. He doesn't skate like Giroux does... with that angry puckered face that makes him look like hes giving 120%.. but does that mean he wasn't? He was very underrated here... all im saying.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
JVR's Stats
43 Games
11 goals
13 assists
24 points
24 pim
plus/minus -1
He's playing like an AHL player...lol
On top of which, in the 43 games he played, he was playing hurt in many of them.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
I actually agree with this assessment. Not so much for JVR yet but in defending Carter.

People are way too quick to jump on Carter's "lack of effort." IMO his only downfall was missing the net so much, but when you score that much is it really that bad? He was solid defensively and controlled the center of the ice. If you found him with a pass he would get off a good shot and a quick one too. He doesn't skate like Giroux does... with that angry puckered face that makes him look like hes giving 120%.. but does that mean he wasn't? He was very underrated here... all im saying.
No. The people that harp on his missed shots are idiots. There were only 5 players in the entire league that scored more goals than he did in the previous 3 seasons and people were worried about his missed shots? Ovechkin was a great goal scorer because he lead the league in shots every year...and also lead the league in missed shots every year. That's what good goal scorers do.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
No. The people that harp on his missed shots are idiots. There were only 5 players in the entire league that scored more goals than he did in the previous 3 seasons and people were worried about his missed shots? Ovechkin was a great goal scorer because he lead the league in shots every year...and also lead the league in missed shots every year. That's what good goal scorers do.
I don't disagree with you, but there is a difference between taking a lot of shots, some of which are missed, and taking a lot of shots aimed at the top right corner EVERY TIME.

I liked Carter because for the most part he made the high percentage play. He didn't take unnecessary risks ... until he shot.

Plenty of times he came in uncontested and went high right corner over and over. I suppose you'll argue that's where he scored most of his goals too, but I would have liked him to get shots on net when it was possible. If you're shooting on the move and through screens I understand why you missed... it aint easy. However, he would miss while he was completely untouched with a clear line of sight to the net.

Anywho... back to JVR's foot

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Your eyes lie to you. Jvr will always have a problem in this town because the majority of Flyers fans think like this. Jvr is an effortless skater, like Carter, so he'll always be labeled as having lack of effort because he doesn't have a short choppy stride.

Jvr definitely doesn't give the effort on D that Carter/Voracek do though.
I think Flyers fans are baffled by large players that play a skilled game. JVR is slowly turning into a whipping boy just like Carter was.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
JVR is still young. Flyer fans are impatient and irrational. For those of you who disagree, well we can just go through the GDT's of the first week of the season and look at who was calling for hartnell to be release, traded, or demoted to 4th line/ healthy scratch.

Right now him scoring isnt hurting us because we are the number scoring team in the league. Now if we were the LA kings, jvr not producing would hurt this team but right now him not performing is not a big deal.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
JVR is still young. Flyer fans are impatient and irrational. For those of you who disagree, well we can just go through the GDT's of the first week of the season and look at who was calling for hartnell to be release, traded, or demoted to 4th line/ healthy scratch.

Right now him scoring isnt hurting us because we are the number scoring team in the league. Now if we were the LA kings, jvr not producing would hurt this team but right now him not performing is not a big deal.
It makes sense that they are impatient.. He was a 2nd overall pick.. the first overall pick that year jumped to the NHL and won the rookie of the year.. Then beat us in the finals a few years later.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
It makes sense that they are impatient.. He was a 2nd overall pick.. the first overall pick that year jumped to the NHL and won the rookie of the year.. Then beat us in the finals a few years later.
That stuff might matter if JVR was picked by the Flyers first over all and Kane was second. But they weren't.

I can see some progress in his game during the brief stints in which JVR has been healthy this year. If you just look at stats of course this year is going to be disappointing. I am encouraged by the fact that he is willing to play hurt for long stretches and also works to get bigger during the off season.

Right now JVR plays for the best offensive hockey team in the NHL. I think in a few years when that contract starts to necessitate him taking on a larger role with the team, and he is a comfortable, established player, he could really start to assert himself. Let's just hope Holmgren can control himself for that long.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:07 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Player A: 196GP, 47+52=99 pts
Player B: 205GP, 46+60=106 pts

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

nmind

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 03-09-2012 at 12:25 AM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
In case anyone is keeping score at home:

JVR was moved to LTIR. Had surgery Tuesday. His status remains the same.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post

The soccer scene was the best..can see JVR now doing the hockey version and even stopping the puck for Bryz with his head
Wait to you see the scene in the movie Goon.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Player A: 196GP, 47+52=99 pts
Player B: 205GP, 46+60=106 pts
Yes, yes. LeCLair also played with a generational talent after those years.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:51 PM
BernieParent

Schenn for JvR's broken foot. E4.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

March 26 from Randy Miller:

http://twitter.com/#!/RandyJMiller

Quote:
Meszaros and JVR watching game from press box. JVR still in walking boot. Doubt he's ready for 1st round of playoffs.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Kaktus*

He has another week to go before he will take it off.
I think he will be back for 1st round. If we go 7 games.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

MARCH 31:

http://www.printthis.clickability.co...-playoffs.html

Quote:
Van Riemsdyk, 22, who broke a bone blocking a shot against the Islanders on March 1, will visit a doctor at the end of next week; he hopes he has the boot removed and is given permission to resume skating.

It seems that, in a best-case scenario, van Riemsdyk would rejoin the team midway through the opening round of the playoffs.

“There’s no reason to think that can’t happen,” he said. “I’m just doing all I can to stay positive, and being in a good mindset to get better. That’s all I can do right now.”

Old
03-31-2012, 11:42 AM
blinds

JVR gets more **** than he deserves, people complain that he doesn't produce in the regular season, but he hasn't had much of a chance to perform between switching lines constantly, in and out with injuries and playing through injuries. His ice time has also been inconsistent as a result, it's not surprising he hasn't been in able to get any consistency for the games he did play.

I think he's underestimated just because he hasn't developed as fast as Kane, but he's still 22 and, judging by last year's playoffs, has a lot of potential still. Give him a chance, something like putting him back on Giroux's line next year and if they have some chemistry I could see him producing like Hartnell this year.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well, see the thing is, they had him on Giroux's line the beginning of the year and looked horrendous. The reason he hasnt had enough icetime is because he hasnt played that good. You dont just give players icetime for the hell of it. If you play good, you get time.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well, see the thing is, they had him on Giroux's line the beginning of the year and looked horrendous. The reason he hasnt had enough icetime is because he hasnt played that good. You dont just give players icetime for the hell of it. If you play good, you get time.
Wasn't he hurt coming out of camp?

IMO, this year is just a complete wash. Due to all his injuries, you can't really take too much from this season.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote