HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber+Ryan Suter: Are they both going to re-sign?

Old
03-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I think Weber is going to Vancouver. If Ballard's contract is out of the picture and Weber comes in I could play in net and the Canucks would still win a few cups.
One can dream.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope they both stay in the West.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
One can dream.
I've had that dream... I didn't get a mask!

I think if Nashville makes the conference finals, Suter resigns for 3 years, $18.75 million.

Edit: If they win the cup on the other hand, double it and get used to him and Weber in yellow.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I think Weber is going to Vancouver. If Ballard's contract is out of the picture and Weber comes in I could play in net and the Canucks would still win a few cups.
But could Luongo?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

I hope Weber signs in Vancouver!!! been a lot of rumours floating around that Weber wants to be closer to home, kinda like before Hamhuis was a UFA we heard a lot of Hamhuis wanting to be in Vancouver, still getting a big fish like Weber as a UFA is a far off and unlikely dream.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

With Stuart most likely leaving, I expect the Red Wings to wine and dine the hell out of Suter. Reaaaally hoping we can land him.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAME CANADA View Post
I hope Weber signs in Vancouver!!! been a lot of rumours floating around that Weber wants to be closer to home, kinda like before Hamhuis was a UFA we heard a lot of Hamhuis wanting to be in Vancouver, still getting a big fish like Weber as a UFA is a far off and unlikely dream.
Not unless they could move Ballard. Nobody's gonna want him, so keep dreaming.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I could see Weber going to Detroit if Lidstrom retires at the end of the year.
I can't, not this off-season. The only way these two wind up in Detroit is if they hit free agency. The Weber to Detroit thing, unfortunately as a Wings fan is a pipe-dream until 2013, if it can even actually become a reality then I would be surprised.

Suter strikes me as a guy who is going to test out free-agency at this point. I think he wants to listen to the pitches and see what offers come flowing in and there will be a ton of them. Hope the Wings offer Suter something along the lines of 13 years 100 million, think he would have a hard time walking away from it if the Wings came with that offer.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:57 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I can't, not this off-season. The only way these two wind up in Detroit is if they hit free agency. The Weber to Detroit thing, unfortunately as a Wings fan is a pipe-dream until 2013, if it can even actually become a reality then I would be surprised.

Suter strikes me as a guy who is going to test out free-agency at this point. I think he wants to listen to the pitches and see what offers come flowing in and there will be a ton of them. Hope the Wings offer Suter something along the lines of 13 years 100 million, think he would have a hard time walking away from it if the Wings came with that offer.

that's just silly.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:22 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

My guess is that Suter will be UFA this year and Weber signs for 1-yr deal, that gets him to be UFA end of next season. Weber wants to look how team will be built after Suter leaving.

IF Suter signs with Preds then Weber will sign long-term too.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
My question is who's the higher priority? Nashville fans?
lol it's not up to the fans. I think 100% Weber is the priority. He's the guy they market, he's their captain, he's the guy management will go after harder.

And we all know that Suter is gone - according to some drunk guy who heard it from a drunk Lindback.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

A few points:

1) Weber is not going anywhere this summer unless a team wants to offer up $8m+ and can forfeit four 1sts.

2) Nashville has plenty of room to sign both and still give raises to current players/pick up another player or two over the summer. Without a rise in the cap, and depending on what raises are handed out, Nashville should have something the neighborhood of $6m left (that is assuming each signs for the same deal as Rinne). Obviously if the cap rises, the amount rises.

3) Nashville has no contract it is in desperate need of jettisoning. Fisher and Hornqvist come off of the books in the summer of 2013. Legwand comes off in 2014. Erat in 2015. We have several young players on ELCs, and have more waiting to be called to the big club.

I think Nashville has a better shot at signing Suter than any other team in the league. With that said, no one knows what is in Suter's head. He may was to be THE guy instead of one of the guys. His personality has never struck me as that type, but I also do not know the guy personally.

If I had to make a bet I would say Suter walks, Weber stays, Josi continues developing, Nashville spends Suter's money to fill holes, and the Preds hardly miss a beat. Then, Weber re-signs. That isn't what I want to happen, but it's the safest bet.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
ilikeblocks

Preds fan chiming in. Weber will definitely get resigned, even if a worse case scenario pops up just because of his RFA status. Ownership has deep pockets (one of them is Mark Cuban's partner from the broadcast.com days), but I still think they will work off an internal cap - it's the teams MO and it allows for roster flexibility later in the year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Suter leave. On a team with Ellis and Josi in the wings, I'd rather see seven million plus used to lure a high end forward.

Rinne is arguably the most valuable of the three - I was at Monday night's game against the Kings, and some of the saves he made were scary. Rinne is a game stealer, and I think a transition to a defense corps with more shutdown D wouldn't change their offensive output much.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
lol it's not up to the fans. I think 100% Weber is the priority. He's the guy they market, he's their captain, he's the guy management will go after harder.

And we all know that Suter is gone - according to some drunk guy who heard it from a drunk Lindback.
It isn't up to the fans, but the fans can have their opinion of what the priority is, right?

And the Preds are typically marketed as a team. Some players get more attention than the rest (i.e. Weber, Rinne, Tootoo), but individual names have never been a successful marketing tactic in Nashville.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

As others have said, Nashville has proven to Weber and Suter that they want to win the cup over there in Nashville. I commend management, they did everything they could. If they could win a playoff round or two and head into the offseason a success I think they should be able to re-sign Suter. After that, they have another year to work on Weber. It'll be much easier to get him knowing Suter is there longterm.

I have no idea on Weber, he may actually want to live in a Canadian city closer to home. Nashville has gained contender status in my eyes, they're built for playoff hockey and will be a hard team to play against. They could use some more talent up front but they have a solid base to build from. This whole wanting to be closer to home thing could be utter BS, although where there's smoke there's fire. Personally, I still see Nashville as the front runner to re-sign Weber. If he leaves? I think it becomes Vancouver. (homer glasses off)

My prediction? Suter re-signs, Weber leaves. Out of the two I'd say Suter compliments their system better.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Preds are in tough in round 1. They seemed destined to finish in the #5 slot, so that means a 1st round date with either the Red Wings or the Blues.

All these moves they made getting Gill, Gaustad, Kostitsyn may go for not.

Time will tell if one or both re-sign.
I think they can beat either. They're basically a carbon copy of the Blues, but with better GF. They have, far and away, the best record vs the Central this season-- the only team that has given them trouble has been the Red Wings, but all but one of those games were close. Vs the Blues, the Predators are 4-0-1.

Obviously, the task is a little easier if they can jump into 4th place,but I don't think there's any matchup that the Predators should really be "scared" of. They've shown an ability to beat anyone on any night, and while they still seem to have some sort of "Underdog" reputation, they're a much better team than anyone ever gives them credit for. Best defensive pairing in the league, best goaltender in the west, number 2 power play in the league, balanced scoring offense that's top ten in the league.

If ever there were a year the Predators could do some damage, I think this is it.

As to the original question...as has been stated, if money alone were the question, Suter and Weber would already be locked up. I don't think they're looking for a cup this year as the only thing to keep them in town, certainly a deep run would help...i think what they're looking for is commitment from ownership to winning--they were active at the deadline, both players seemed pleased by that--Poile made a pitch for Nash, they're likely happy about that too. The next step in the progression may be to trade for someone like Parise's rights and throw absurd money at him...and in turn, you'd think his BFF Ryan Suter would then hang around. And if Suter signs-- I think it's 99 percent that Weber does as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I've heard both from people in Vancouver. Some say Weber wants to move back closer to home, and others say being closer to home has nothing to do with whatever decision he ultimately makes. Obviously there is going to be a lot of "smoke" coming from the "going back home" camp in BC. It gets ratings. Whether it means anything or not will be determined soon enough.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:54 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think they can beat either. They're basically a carbon copy of the Blues, but with better GF. They have, far and away, the best record vs the Central this season-- the only team that has given them trouble has been the Red Wings, but all but one of those games were close. Vs the Blues, the Predators are 4-0-1.

Obviously, the task is a little easier if they can jump into 4th place,but I don't think there's any matchup that the Predators should really be "scared" of. They've shown an ability to beat anyone on any night, and while they still seem to have some sort of "Underdog" reputation, they're a much better team than anyone ever gives them credit for. Best defensive pairing in the league, best goaltender in the west, number 2 power play in the league, balanced scoring offense that's top ten in the league.

If ever there were a year the Predators could do some damage, I think this is it.

As to the original question...as has been stated, if money alone were the question, Suter and Weber would already be locked up. I don't think they're looking for a cup this year as the only thing to keep them in town, certainly a deep run would help...i think what they're looking for is commitment from ownership to winning--they were active at the deadline, both players seemed pleased by that--Poile made a pitch for Nash, they're likely happy about that too. The next step in the progression may be to trade for someone like Parise's rights and throw absurd money at him...and in turn, you'd think his BFF Ryan Suter would then hang around. And if Suter signs-- I think it's 99 percent that Weber does as well.
This is exactly what I think as well. They were both here (and very young) during the scare of 2007 and subsequent firesale. They both saw Hamhuis leave because the money wasn't there to spend on a second pairing defenseman (wisely, anyway). They want to see us retain our guys and build, not lose them when they become expensive or sign them to contracts that make signing anyone else impossible.

Old
03-02-2012, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Not to nitpick about the Hamhuis situation, but he wasn't exactly unwilling to stay in Nashville. From what Poile said shortly after he left, both sides tried to get a deal done until shortly before his rights were dealt...it was just clear that with Suter and Weber needing new deals on the horizon, paying Hamhuis 4+ million wasn't a good investment for a team that needed to address the offense. Hamhuis reportedly offered the same "hometown discount" to Nashville that he eventually signed in Vancouver.

Another thing we've heard, which I guess is more of a "rumor" is that Poile told Hamhuis that if the team made the second round that year, they'd resign him...but if not, they'd have to let him go. I don't know if I believe that, but the rumor is out there.

Either way, I don't think Suter or Weber have any beef with playing in Nashville. I think they like playing together, and I think they realize that anywhere they go they're likely looking at having a defense partner inferior to what they have now. I think it comes down to wanting to win...if Nashville demonstrates that enough, I think both will stick around. I don't think either has "decided" anything.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:23 AM
kyle747

They are both leaving as they hit UFA status

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Halifaxhab*

Nashville is really trying to show them they are seriously trying to win. Management did everything they could. Now it's on the players.

I don't see Weber leaving at all. Suter is likely going to stay, but I bet he waits for UFA season to hit to see what kind of offers he gets. If one knocks his socks off I bet he gives Poile a shot at matching.

Basically, it comes down to what NSH ownership is comfortable spending long term. They seem happy to spend right now. But are they willing/able to do it for 5-10 years? That is really the only valid question on weather or not those guys stay or go.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'm sure most know, just to reinforce...Weber is a RFA. Big difference.

Just to play the roll of armchair GM, after the playoffs are up, if/when Suter says he's testing the market, I'm immediately discussing this with Weber. If he says he'd only commit to a one-year contract again, I'm putting him on the block this offseason and trading Suter's rights for a 2nd.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Snotbubbles

Question for Nashville fans:

Are Weber and Suter tied to the hip in terms of re-signing? Meaning if Suter leaves, do you think that decreases the chances of Weber signing long term or do you think that what Suter does is irrelevant. Also, if Weber indicates that he will not sign long-term in Nashville, would Nashville look to trade him this summer, at the trade deadline next year, or his rights before the draft?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The Canucks have $21 million in cap space to fill 16 spots next offseason. I have no idea how'd they fit an $8+ million player in there.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlameChampion

I dont really know how this will go down. Like others have posted, I think how far they go in the playoffs might have some impact on what decisions are made, mainly Suter at this point. I think the fact that Nashville tried to do something at the deadline, helps because it shows that they tried to commit to the team at least somewhat.

I think for Pred fans this offseason is going to be a nervous one. The decisions made in the offseason will affect the team in the years to come. Hopefully the fact that Poile wasnt willing to really receive offers on Suter, means that hes had talks with him and thinks theres a high chance he will resign in the summer.

If Suter leaves, most likely for nothing, I guess the question will be, will Weber want to stay too? Guess we will find out more in the summer when July 1 rolls around.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote