HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber+Ryan Suter: Are they both going to re-sign?

Old
03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
I think Preds will make the SCF and both will stay.

Would love to get Suter on the Oilers but not going to happen.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If all they're looking for is a "commitment to winning" by the higher-ups, I think that's been shown at every level.

The coaches crafted a deadly PP this year in order to combat the "Nashville has no scoring" problem. They did this without compromising their trademark defensive game.

The GM did more to combat the scoring problem by acquiring pretty much every forward he could find at the TD.

The ownership showed they're willing to pay big money for the best players with the Rinne contract.

If Suter/Weber don't think Nashville is "committed to winning" at this point, then that wasn't their real reason and they were planning on leaving Music City no matter what happened.
thank you.. great post.

if they leave, it isnt cause nashville isn't committed to winning .. its because they wanted to leave all along

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

I truly hope they make a strong run in the playoffs, to eliminate any doubts that Weber/Suter may have (if they even have any to begin with). My respect for the Preds has grown tremendously over the last couple seasons, and here's to hoping that that pairing stays together for years to come!

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:17 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Again, why? People keep saying this with no reasoning behind it.
I suppose I should re-phrase. If they fail to re-sign Suter, the chances of Weber staying will decline considerably. But if they successfully re-sign Suter, the chances of Weber re-signing go up considerably.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I suppose I should re-phrase. If they fail to re-sign Suter, the chances of Weber staying will decline considerably. But if they successfully re-sign Suter, the chances of Weber re-signing go up considerably.
Still though, why?

If Suter leaves, it just depends how Poile ends up using all the extra cap space.

How they do in this year's playoffs will have the greatest effect. I actually think it's much more likely that only 1 re-signs than both re-signing. The cap space would be better spent on a forward upgrade, and then bringing in a #2/#3 dman as a stop gap until Josi is ready to take over.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
u2wojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
Not a chance that Chicago could fit him in without alot of salary dumps.
Chicago can fit him fairly easily. Hjammersson or Montador would need to be moved. Given that most teams in the league could use more D, I doubt Chicago would have to make to many calls and would likely return a decent asset. I would not count the Hawks out as Chicago is the closest team to home and at one point, Ryan was a reputed homebody. Still a darkhorse and I would put Detroit in the pole position if he gets to July 1.

u2wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Yitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
How high are the chances of a team sending a ridiculous offer sheet that forces Nashville to sign Weber to the max?
I know of the danger of retaliation and unwritten rules, but is it that far fetched for, let's say Detroit to offer max to get Weber to sign?
of course it's far fetched. who else would make as much money as weber if he was signed to a max contract? why would detroit ever do that? that kind of offer sheet would never happn

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:04 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
What player has changed hands in that time? Aside from Carter, who had a stigmatized contract and questionable locker room issues...what player could they have gotten? They got the best available offensive player at the deadline, the best defensive center, and in terms of team need, the best defenseman. All while making what was reportedly a huge offer for Rick Nash.

What could they have done differently? Forced Anaheim to trade Bobby Ryan?
Since they have known what they had in Weber+Suter+Rinne Carter has been traded twice, Mike and Brad Richards have moved as has Kovalchuk, and I am sure I am forgetting more. Nashville has had years to add prime talent and simply hasn't got it done. Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but if I am Suter and the choice of playing with Giroux/Jagr or Datsyuk/Zetterberg vs Fisher/A. Kostisyn comes up, I know which one looks like the easy elimination to me.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:16 AM
jd22

vCash: 705
Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The Canucks have $21 million in cap space to fill 16 spots next offseason. I have no idea how'd they fit an $8+ million player in there.
Where are you getting your numbers? That's absurd. Even stretching the most tenuous of roster spots (IE Andrew Gordon) the Canucks only have 11 spots to fill. And that's looking at 39 players.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:30 AM
ZetterBurger

I find it hard to believe that Nashville would want $21+ million dollars tied up in three players. They are great, franchise players and the cornerstone of that team, but if Radulov comes, what is his contract like? If they want to sign some better forwards that will be tough to do with a third of your cap tied up in three players.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:03 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
3 players signed to 21+ million and none are franchise forwards would be a mistake I believe.

Poile is a damn good GM. I believe he trades the rights to one of them at the draft.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
When did he say this? Do you have a link, because this is the first I have heard of it. ....
Feel free to amend as you see fit if I am in error, but I am basing this on comments made upwards of a month ago, I believe around all star game.

Believe there was a brouhaha about someone asked Suter question and perhaps without thinking said to effect he "would not 'extend' [may have been 're-sign'] until after the season". While it is not 110% exactly the same it is close enough. Obviously right after season, if he is UFA he is thus a free agent, and since he was being given Pred offers prior, but said there would be no signing prior, by extension he is testing for offers.

For like 36 hours, there was a big to do in the media, I believe NHL network made note of how Pred GM had not heard this first from Suter, so he had to back pedal with some improvised diplomacy. But with both parties behaving like adults and in damage control as to this 'oops' moment, thereafter, a big deal was not made out of it, cause the party line was something like Suter has a right to do whatever he wants to do, but we're going to make him an offer.

Understandable if you didn't hear; if you blinked, you missed it.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
As others have said, Nashville has proven to Weber and Suter that they want to win the cup over there in Nashville. I commend management, they did everything they could. If they could win a playoff round or two and head into the offseason a success I think they should be able to re-sign Suter. After that, they have another year to work on Weber. It'll be much easier to get him knowing Suter is there longterm.

I have no idea on Weber, he may actually want to live in a Canadian city closer to home. Nashville has gained contender status in my eyes, they're built for playoff hockey and will be a hard team to play against. They could use some more talent up front but they have a solid base to build from. This whole wanting to be closer to home thing could be utter BS, although where there's smoke there's fire. Personally, I still see Nashville as the front runner to re-sign Weber. If he leaves? I think it becomes Vancouver. (homer glasses off)

My prediction? Suter re-signs, Weber leaves. Out of the two I'd say Suter compliments their system better.
How so??? By picking up Gill, Kostitsyn and Gaustad???? That doesnt scream winning to me.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
How so??? By picking up Gill, Kostitsyn and Gaustad???? That doesnt scream winning to me.
not sure if serious.. first off, offers of 7+ million have been made to both. they have been told we will go after parise in the summer. made one of if not the best offer for rick nash that was reported. gave rinne 7 yr 49 million deal.. goalie is set. improved NSH's continual achilles heel, the PP. 1st in the NHL. acquired mike fisher last year and improved the most at this years deadline.. got the best offensive forward available not named jeff carter (no thanks) .. got a defenseman great on the PK (gill) to match up against canucks and wings as well as gaustad. not to mention your wings wanted gaustad.... but who got him? (yeah I know overpayment) ... point is nashville is proving they are committed to winning.. don't know why anyone would say otherwise. I'm going to assume you are mis-informed or spoiled by being a red wings fan

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
not sure if serious.. first off, offers of 7+ million have been made to both. they have been told we will go after parise in the summer. made one of if not the best offer for rick nash that was reported. gave rinne 7 yr 49 million deal.. goalie is set. improved NSH's continual achilles heel, the PP. 1st in the NHL. acquired mike fisher last year and improved the most at this years deadline.. got the best offensive forward available not named jeff carter (no thanks) .. got a defenseman great on the PK (gill) to match up against canucks and wings as well as gaustad. not to mention your wings wanted gaustad.... but who got him? (yeah I know overpayment) ... point is nashville is proving they are committed to winning.. don't know why anyone would say otherwise. I'm going to assume you are mis-informed or spoiled by being a red wings fan
Let me see if I have this straight you think that Nashville has a snowball's chance in hell at getting Parise providing he even makes it to the UFA market???? Maybe you should look at the big teams in the league and the amount of cap space they have. Parise isnt going to leave New Jersey for a team that has one playoff round in their history.
BTW when is the last time Nashville signed a big UFA? Oh that's right never.
They maybe have improved at the deadline but they still arent in the same weight class as Detroit and Vancouver.

Nashville can have Gaustad who is a UFA and hinted that he wanted to resign with Buffalo for a first round pick, I'll take a top 4 defensemen instead that is a RFA for a 1st round pick instead.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:16 PM
puckchinchilla

If you asked before the trade deadline day, I would have said no.

Now, I think they will both re-sign in Nashville. Whether the Preds do anything with the new acquisitions this year or not, Poile made it really clear that he's clearly committed to winning. The pieces may not be the "best," but they were the best available. Weber and Suter strike me as the kind of players that will put a high value on loyalty so long as their team remains committed to victory.

puckchinchilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Let me see if I have this straight you think that Nashville has a snowball's chance in hell at getting Parise providing he even makes it to the UFA market???? Maybe you should look at the big teams in the league and the amount of cap space they have. Parise isnt going to leave New Jersey for a team that has one playoff round in their history.
BTW when is the last time Nashville signed a big UFA? Oh that's right never.
They maybe have improved at the deadline but they still arent in the same weight class as Detroit and Vancouver.

Nashville can have Gaustad who is a UFA and hinted that he wanted to resign with Buffalo for a first round pick, I'll take a top 4 defensemen instead that is a RFA for a 1st round pick instead.

Umm. Do Paul Kariya or Jason Arnott count as big UFA's?

It may not be big signings every season, but I think they were big signings at the time. I still remember where I was when I heard the Kariya signing on the radio.

Roman Reigns is online now   Reply With Quote