HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Devils vs Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 3.2.2012

Old
03-02-2012, 01:50 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

vCash: 500
Devils vs Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 3.2.2012

It's all about performance relative to expectations....

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:48 AM
NeilYoung

Anyway you can find a photo with a lower bar?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:19 AM
capitalsfilopce

Send a message via Skype™ to capitalsfilopce
Caps will win, 5-2

capitalsfilopce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:15 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
It's all about performance relative to expectations....

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Early bird gets the worm?

Another must win game...

4 in a row

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
G3 LesPaul

Caps win cause I said so

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Kallejohansson

7-0.

Ovechkin with 7 goals and Mojo with 7 drop pass-assists.

Kallejohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Get it right!

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 03-02-2012 at 12:51 PM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
jumbo jpg gdt edition ftw

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
capsfan528

just win.

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Old mans club scratches again tonight. Out with the old, in with the new. I like the idea, those guys all know how to play the game. But I still think its good get them a token game every now and then.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Playoff game boys!!
Urgent alert, this is a playoff game!!!
But this one ACTUALLY matters, not like the other playoff games from this year!!

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Just ****ing win!!!

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
BobRouse

Caps need to bring a very physical game tonight. Find a way to mix it up.

That way the crowd can get into it despite the boring devils trapping system.

Also it may start to draw the ire of devils players and perhaps get them thinking about other things than sticking to their structure. Get them mad so they go out of their way to hit you and draw them out of position.

To me this is how you beat a trapping team.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Capitlols

The dog's not going to make it!

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Caps need to bring a very physical game tonight. Find a way to mix it up.

That way the crowd can get into it despite the boring devils trapping system.

Also it may start to draw the ire of devils players and perhaps get them thinking about other things than sticking to their structure. Get them mad so they go out of their way to hit you and draw them out of position.

To me this is how you beat a trapping team.
When was the last time you watched a Devils game?

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
When was the last time you watched a Devils game?
Against the Rangers within the last week. Horrible display of hockey.

The Devils:

Allowed the fewest shots against this year
Are 3rd worst when it comes to shots for this year

Old
03-02-2012, 12:28 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Against the Rangers within the last week. Horrible display of hockey.

The Devils:

Allowed the fewest shots against this year
Are 3rd worst when it comes to shots for this year
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
IafrateOvie34

Not making predictions, but the Caps can't afford to blow this. Take advantage of a tired Devil's team.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
bgroban

Quote:
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.
Wow, BR. He told you!

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
njdevil26

Not trying to just flat out say you're wrong. The Devils played the trap for years and won with it. They first moved away from it in 2008-2009 when Brent Sutter was the coach. The Devils were putting up 4, 5, and 6 goals a night. Then after Sutter left... back to Lemaire and back came the trap. Then John MacLean came in and had no idea what to do... then Lemaire again. This year, Pete DeBoer introduced his own version of Sutter's style and it's very exciting. I understand our reputation which is warranted... but definitely watch some Devils games when you get the chance because we are very exciting this season and have some of the most talented players in the league.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I think (for good reason) Devils fans (especially the ones on HF) have been very defensive when the "T" word is used to describe how their team plays.

Contrary to popular belief the Devils did not invent the trap...the Canadiens did and called it a "counter attacking" style of play. They were ahead of their time with it. Lemaire just brought that philosophy over with him and it has stuck ever since to varying degrees.

Some people call it a "left wing lock", others a "center lock", some use the word "structured system", while others go with "the counter attack" and the worst is Boucher's "1-3-1"

All these are synomyms with the T word.

I remember one year when the devs trapped heavily they actually led the league in goals. Tampa outscored the Caps seriously in the playoffs last year using a worse version. The counter attack leads to goals for sure..especially when one team is using it and the other isn't.

Soon we will have more games like the Flyer/Lightning earlier this year where both teams just stay back.

I have watched the Devils extensively. In fact the very first memory of catching a FULL game on TV was back in 86 when the Caps played them towards the end of the season. I think the Caps came back from a 3-1 deficit (in a meaningless game) in the 3rd and won it 4-3 with larry Murphy notching a couple. There was a beachball on the ice at one point.../end random flashback

Yes they do trap. Alot of teams play a version of it but the Devs are up there in how they execute it (they've had a lot of practice over the last 20 years doing it..)

Their D is pinching to keep pucks in the zone more this year from what I've seen in the past but make no mistake they play a very passive brand of hockey.

Old
03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

boring 2-1 game with 2 of the most boring teams in the league. toss a coin. devils edge it.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
I think (for good reason) Devils fans (especially the ones on HF) have been very defensive when the "T" word is used to describe how their team plays.

Contrary to popular belief the Devils did not invent the trap...the Canadiens did and called it a "counter attacking" style of play. They were ahead of their time with it. Lemaire just brought that philosophy over with him and it has stuck ever since to varying degrees.

Some people call it a "left wing lock", others a "center lock", some use the word "structured system", while others go with "the counter attack" and the worst is Boucher's "1-3-1"

All these are synomyms with the T word.

I remember one year when the devs trapped heavily they actually led the league in goals. Tampa outscored the Caps seriously in the playoffs last year using a worse version. The counter attack leads to goals for sure..especially when one team is using it and the other isn't.

Soon we will have more games like the Flyer/Lightning earlier this year where both teams just stay back.

I have watched the Devils extensively. In fact the very first memory of catching a FULL game on TV was back in 86 when the Caps played them towards the end of the season. I think the Caps came back from a 3-1 deficit (in a meaningless game) in the 3rd and won it 4-3 with larry Murphy notching a couple. There was a beachball on the ice at one point.../end random flashback

Yes they do trap. Alot of teams play a version of it but the Devs are up there in how they execute it (they've had a lot of practice over the last 20 years doing it..)

Their D is pinching to keep pucks in the zone more this year from what I've seen in the past but make no mistake they play a very passive brand of hockey.
I just really have to disagree with you. I always admitted the Devils played the trap... my comeback was "well we win a lot because of it... so maybe you should do it too." But now I am trying to get people to see that the Devils don't play like that anymore. In the first half of the season we had a VERY porous defense and gave up a lot of odd man rushes and goals because the team was trying to adapt to the new offensive style.