HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Devils vs Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 3.2.2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2012, 01:50 AM
  #1
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Devils vs Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 3.2.2012

It's all about performance relative to expectations....


PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:48 AM
  #2
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Anyway you can find a photo with a lower bar?

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:19 AM
  #3
capitalsfilopce
Registered User
 
capitalsfilopce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to capitalsfilopce
Caps will win, 5-2

capitalsfilopce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:15 AM
  #4
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
It's all about performance relative to expectations....


IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
  #5
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Early bird gets the worm?

Another must win game...

4 in a row


Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:46 AM
  #6
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Caps win cause I said so

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:47 AM
  #7
Kallejohansson
Registered User
 
Kallejohansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Sweden
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
7-0.

Ovechkin with 7 goals and Mojo with 7 drop pass-assists.

Kallejohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
  #8
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Get it right!


Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 03-02-2012 at 12:51 PM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
  #9
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,291
vCash: 50
jumbo jpg gdt edition ftw

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  #10
capsfan528
Registered User
 
capsfan528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
just win.

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  #11
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,291
vCash: 50
Old mans club scratches again tonight. Out with the old, in with the new. I like the idea, those guys all know how to play the game. But I still think its good get them a token game every now and then.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
  #12
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
Playoff game boys!!
Urgent alert, this is a playoff game!!!
But this one ACTUALLY matters, not like the other playoff games from this year!!

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
  #13
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,312
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Just ****ing win!!!

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
  #14
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Caps need to bring a very physical game tonight. Find a way to mix it up.

That way the crowd can get into it despite the boring devils trapping system.

Also it may start to draw the ire of devils players and perhaps get them thinking about other things than sticking to their structure. Get them mad so they go out of their way to hit you and draw them out of position.

To me this is how you beat a trapping team.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
  #15
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
The dog's not going to make it!

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
  #16
LegendaryNumber5
C-A-P-S
 
LegendaryNumber5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: McLean, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 50

LegendaryNumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
  #17
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Caps need to bring a very physical game tonight. Find a way to mix it up.

That way the crowd can get into it despite the boring devils trapping system.

Also it may start to draw the ire of devils players and perhaps get them thinking about other things than sticking to their structure. Get them mad so they go out of their way to hit you and draw them out of position.

To me this is how you beat a trapping team.
When was the last time you watched a Devils game?

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
  #18
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
When was the last time you watched a Devils game?
Against the Rangers within the last week. Horrible display of hockey.

The Devils:

Allowed the fewest shots against this year
Are 3rd worst when it comes to shots for this year

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:28 PM
  #19
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Against the Rangers within the last week. Horrible display of hockey.

The Devils:

Allowed the fewest shots against this year
Are 3rd worst when it comes to shots for this year
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  #20
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Not making predictions, but the Caps can't afford to blow this. Take advantage of a tired Devil's team.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
  #21
bgroban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.
Wow, BR. He told you!

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
  #22
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Not trying to just flat out say you're wrong. The Devils played the trap for years and won with it. They first moved away from it in 2008-2009 when Brent Sutter was the coach. The Devils were putting up 4, 5, and 6 goals a night. Then after Sutter left... back to Lemaire and back came the trap. Then John MacLean came in and had no idea what to do... then Lemaire again. This year, Pete DeBoer introduced his own version of Sutter's style and it's very exciting. I understand our reputation which is warranted... but definitely watch some Devils games when you get the chance because we are very exciting this season and have some of the most talented players in the league.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
  #23
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.
I think (for good reason) Devils fans (especially the ones on HF) have been very defensive when the "T" word is used to describe how their team plays.

Contrary to popular belief the Devils did not invent the trap...the Canadiens did and called it a "counter attacking" style of play. They were ahead of their time with it. Lemaire just brought that philosophy over with him and it has stuck ever since to varying degrees.

Some people call it a "left wing lock", others a "center lock", some use the word "structured system", while others go with "the counter attack" and the worst is Boucher's "1-3-1"

All these are synomyms with the T word.

I remember one year when the devs trapped heavily they actually led the league in goals. Tampa outscored the Caps seriously in the playoffs last year using a worse version. The counter attack leads to goals for sure..especially when one team is using it and the other isn't.

Soon we will have more games like the Flyer/Lightning earlier this year where both teams just stay back.

I have watched the Devils extensively. In fact the very first memory of catching a FULL game on TV was back in 86 when the Caps played them towards the end of the season. I think the Caps came back from a 3-1 deficit (in a meaningless game) in the 3rd and won it 4-3 with larry Murphy notching a couple. There was a beachball on the ice at one point.../end random flashback

Yes they do trap. Alot of teams play a version of it but the Devs are up there in how they execute it (they've had a lot of practice over the last 20 years doing it..)

Their D is pinching to keep pucks in the zone more this year from what I've seen in the past but make no mistake they play a very passive brand of hockey.

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
  #24
Click Here
You know you want to
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 404 Not Found
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 50
boring 2-1 game with 2 of the most boring teams in the league. toss a coin. devils edge it.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
  #25
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I think (for good reason) Devils fans (especially the ones on HF) have been very defensive when the "T" word is used to describe how their team plays.

Contrary to popular belief the Devils did not invent the trap...the Canadiens did and called it a "counter attacking" style of play. They were ahead of their time with it. Lemaire just brought that philosophy over with him and it has stuck ever since to varying degrees.

Some people call it a "left wing lock", others a "center lock", some use the word "structured system", while others go with "the counter attack" and the worst is Boucher's "1-3-1"

All these are synomyms with the T word.

I remember one year when the devs trapped heavily they actually led the league in goals. Tampa outscored the Caps seriously in the playoffs last year using a worse version. The counter attack leads to goals for sure..especially when one team is using it and the other isn't.

Soon we will have more games like the Flyer/Lightning earlier this year where both teams just stay back.

I have watched the Devils extensively. In fact the very first memory of catching a FULL game on TV was back in 86 when the Caps played them towards the end of the season. I think the Caps came back from a 3-1 deficit (in a meaningless game) in the 3rd and won it 4-3 with larry Murphy notching a couple. There was a beachball on the ice at one point.../end random flashback

Yes they do trap. Alot of teams play a version of it but the Devs are up there in how they execute it (they've had a lot of practice over the last 20 years doing it..)

Their D is pinching to keep pucks in the zone more this year from what I've seen in the past but make no mistake they play a very passive brand of hockey.
I just really have to disagree with you. I always admitted the Devils played the trap... my comeback was "well we win a lot because of it... so maybe you should do it too." But now I am trying to get people to see that the Devils don't play like that anymore. In the first half of the season we had a VERY porous defense and gave up a lot of odd man rushes and goals because the team was trying to adapt to the new offensive style.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.