HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Devils vs Capitals. 7pm. Verizon Center. 3.2.2012

Old
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Not trying to just flat out say you're wrong. The Devils played the trap for years and won with it. They first moved away from it in 2008-2009 when Brent Sutter was the coach. The Devils were putting up 4, 5, and 6 goals a night. Then after Sutter left... back to Lemaire and back came the trap. Then John MacLean came in and had no idea what to do... then Lemaire again. This year, Pete DeBoer introduced his own version of Sutter's style and it's very exciting. I understand our reputation which is warranted... but definitely watch some Devils games when you get the chance because we are very exciting this season and have some of the most talented players in the league.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 04-23-2012 at 01:05 PM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I just really have to disagree with you. I always admitted the Devils played the trap... my comeback was "well we win a lot because of it... so maybe you should do it too." But now I am trying to get people to see that the Devils don't play like that anymore. In the first half of the season we had a VERY porous defense and gave up a lot of odd man rushes and goals because the team was trying to adapt to the new offensive style.
Fair enough. I will watch them a bit more closely tonite to see if what you say has merit.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
bags92

Can't lose this game. Devils lost a game on the road in OT last night we gotta take it to em early and often. Stay physical and get bodies to the net on Moose. Get two points boys.

bags92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

If Aucoin plays this game he is eligible for waivers.

Hmm, interesting...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
NeilYoung

Just win

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Must win. Can't wait.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

This game worries me... a lot. Seems like every time we need it bad and have favorable circumstances (like tired team, bad team or a team riddled with injuries) Lady Luck craps in our borsht.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Devil Dancer

I don't see this as a must win at all. A win would certainly be nice, but after winning 3 straight they're in fairly good shape, with 3 games in hand on the Jets and 19 left to play.

Of course I'd like to see them catch Florida, but they have lots of time to do so even if they lose tonight.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Oh god, of all the teams fans who have to infilitrate a GDT, the first one in a long ass time has to be from Jersey.

I feel gross just posting in this thread now.

Shower time. *fist pump*

Last edited by IkeaMonkey*: 03-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I guess we can assume Aucoin has graduated to a full time slot this year. Just like Beagle did last year, and hardly anyone spoke about.

Who knew those two would be such a big part of our team this spring? Beagle has impressed me to no end the past few games.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

IMO, considering our road record, everything at home is a must win here on out.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I guess we can assume Aucoin has graduated to a full time slot this year. Just like Beagle did last year, and hardly anyone spoke about.

Who knew those two would be such a big part of our team this spring? Beagle has impressed me to no end the past few games.
Yep, its like something just clicked with Beagle and the difference in his play is very visible. He's been a beast on that line the last few games.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
romao

Quote:
Ok... the Devils had 48 shot attempts. Missed the net a lot and had a lot of shots blocked because of the defensive style from the RANGERS which was very well documented in the papers and on Twitter and such. The Devils don't allow a lot of shots because they play a puck possession game where they have the puck most of the game. They constantly send two forwards forchecking, have the most dangerous penalty kill in the league with Elias, Kovalchuk, Parise, and Henrique being the main penalty killers. They also have the 12th best offense in the league. (Washington is 15th). So please... since you watched ONE game against a team that was actually trapping, try to back up your "point" with stats you didn't just find on NHL.com a few minutes ago. The Devils new forcheck offensive system has been well documented this year by pretty much everyone.
48 shot attempts per 60 minutes is not that great at all. In fact best teams in the NHL in terms of shot attempts (SJS,PIT,BOS) averaging about 62-64 per game. On the other hand worst team in that regard is averaging 47.9 attempts and who do you think it is? Right, that's New Jersey Devils.

Last edited by romao: 03-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.
romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Yep, its like something just clicked with Beagle and the difference in his play is very visible. He's been a beast on that line the last few games.
Maybe he lost a few pounds after the concussion, or refocused on getting better. Having confirmed he was not going to make the roster fighting. It may be one of the many success stories of Dale getting players to flat out do more than the same thing every game every year (regular season). With the young players and old, its not easy to do, obviously.

Beagle looks faster and more skilled. I doubt its true but it sure looks like it.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
48 shot attempts per 60 minutes is not that great at all. In fact best teams in the NHL in terms of shot attempts (SJS,PIT,BOS) averaging about 62-64 per game. On the other hand worst team in that regard is averaging 47,9 attempts and who do you think it is? Right, that's New Jersey Devils.
lmao. owned.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Maybe he lost a few pounds after the concussion, or refocused on getting better. Having confirmed he was not going to make the roster fighting. It may be one of the many success stories of Dale getting players to flat out do more than the same thing every game every year (regular season). With the young players and old, its not easy to do, obviously.

Beagle looks faster and more skilled. I doubt its true but it sure looks like it.
To me its his physical play that is impressive. Winning boards battles. Planting himself in front of the net. Hitting. Granted he hasn't scored, which I hope changes, his presence has been very noticeable. I used to think he was useless and he brought nothing to to the table. But boy has he done a complete 180.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:36 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
To me its his physical play that is impressive. Winning boards battles. Planting himself in front of the net. Hitting. Granted he hasn't scored, which I hope changes, his presence has been very noticeable. I used to think he was useless and he brought nothing to to the table. But boy has he done a complete 180.
I am thinking its high time to predict a goal for him tonight. I am not going to bother to check his TOI trend (i suspect Romao has that covered) but I think its on the rise. He may becoming more familiar with Halpern and yeah I agree with your post, specifically board battles.

Halpern too seems to have kicked it up a notch.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I am thinking its high time to predict a goal for him tonight. I am not going to bother to check his TOI trend (i suspect Romao has that covered) but I think its on the rise. He may becoming more familiar with Halpern and yeah I agree with your post, specifically board battles.

Halpern too seems to have kicked it up a notch.
He's been solid all year. He's done what I had hoped to see Ward do, embrace his role and excel at the little things which he's been known to do. IE: Halpern, face-offs etc.

Still very disappointed with Ward's contribution, yea yea I know ... "wait until playoffs" .... let's hope we get to that point so he can 'really' earn his keep.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post

Still very disappointed with Ward's contribution, yea yea I know ... "wait until playoffs" .... let's hope we get to that point so he can 'really' earn his keep.
I think I saw Ward hit in one game this year.

If we miss the playoffs no matter the reason, I want him traded in the offseason. I can't wait two years for a vet to show his A1 game, its just a bad investment. And rude for him to do to his team.

Back to Halpern, he seemed to have a mid season lull but is in full effort form. He was out late for that offensive zone faceoff, a good move by Dale.

Old
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I think I saw Ward hit in one game this year.

If we miss the playoffs no matter the reason, I want him traded in the offseason. I can't wait two years for a vet to show his A1 game, its just a bad investment. And rude for him to do to his team.

Back to Halpern, he seemed to have a mid season lull but is in full effort form. He was out late for that offensive zone faceoff, a good move by Dale.
Sigh, his money could've been spent on a legit effort to obtain Ruutu.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Hopefully the lines stay the same, don't break whats working, they don't have to have perfect shifts every time.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
tycoonheart

acoin ans wife had a baby. Score some goals papa.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:44 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Old
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
NeilYoung

Sweet non HD feed center ice