HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Players vote Top 50 Players in the game - Carey Price snubbed

Old
03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

vCash: 500
Price is 51st

So it's close

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
They showed a SV% number last night on the screen, mainly because Backstrom was 4th on the list, but Price was 6th. I can't remember what period of time that was including though, the last couple of years?

I don't get why anyone would vote for Rask over Price considering Thomas is the reason for the Bruins success the last two seasons.
It was career save percentage. Pretty damn good for Price.

Price is somewhere around .915 save percentage this year and people are calling it an off year... it's very hard to maintain that percentage over your career. Lundqvist was something like .918 before coming into this season.

People don't know how good we have it in Montreal with Price. And those numbers are esp aweseome when you consider his age, the clubs he's played for and the pressure he's faced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I don't know why this had to be a Carey Price thread. It's blatently obvious he should not be on this list.

The issue as a Hab fan is that there isn't a SINGLE HAB on this list. That's how pathetic this franchise has become.
I think he belongs on there for sure. He was number 30 when the TSN experts conducted the same poll at the beginning of the year. He's definitely a top 50 player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Price may not be a top 50 player in the league, but Krejci, Lucic, Rask and Lecavalier are?
Exactly.

How many players were polled? All of them? A select group?

And I like Rask a lot but he hasn't played enough to warrant inclusion here in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
For our March 19 issue of The Hockey News, we polled five players from each NHL team for who they thought were the top five players in the league today. Players couldn't vote for teammates. After tabulating the votes, we ended up with a ranking of the top 50 players in the NHL.

So... someone voted for Vincent Lecavalier as a top 5 players in the league? Doubt that. I'm pretty sure they voted because they're buddies more than anything else.
There you go... can't be taken seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Price is 51st

So it's close
Tied with 17 other players though.

BTW, here's the top 50 coming into this season according to TSN panel. Pretty sure OV would move down if it were done today but here's the list. Price is the 3rd goalie chosen right behind Renne.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=49958

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Most hockey players aren't that bright, to be fair.

They also don't have time to sit around watching other teams. They look at the standings, of course anyone on this team is going to have an uphill battle.
Wow...

You do know that the players who voted are actually playing against them? I mean, you are probably more informed about who's better and all, but...

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Wow...

You do know that the players who voted are actually playing against them? I mean, you are probably more informed about who's better and all, but...

Do they know who is good? Of course they do. But there's a reason you don't have an active players serving as scouts. Knowing how to play against a player a few times a year and objectively looking at their strengths and weaknesses through an entire season are very different things.

Most of these guys don't have the time to keep up to date with who is who when they don't play in the same division. Just look at the interviews when a player gets traded what he thinks about his new team, it's always the same thing - they know if their new team is having a good or bad year, they will be able to name who the best players are, but that's usually as far as it goes.

I would never claim I know more about the sport itself than any of the players, I'm not even close to a hockey expert, but as someone able to watch multiple games a night thanks to GameCentre and a hockey nerd who wastes times looking at the stats, I am focusing more on the big picture than the players themselves are. That's not their job.

Last edited by Et le But: 03-02-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
GeneralMarky79

what a joke i stoppped reading after i saw a joke of a hockey player on there lucic what a ridiculous joke that is.

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
what a joke i stoppped reading after i saw a joke of a hockey player on there lucic what a ridiculous joke that is.
Can't be serious

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The best judges of NHL Players are NHL players. This is the ONLY assessment that matters.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Can't be serious
dam right im serious lucic is one of the top 50 players in the nhl? ahhh nope

Old
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The best judges of NHL Players are NHL players. This is the ONLY assessment that matters.
Yeah, Jody Shelly and Dan Carcillo are such a better judges of NHL players than GMs, head coaches, scouts, and everyone else hired for the purpose of...judging NHL players.

Maybe we should replace Gauthier with Yannick Weber, since he's an NHL player and so his assessment is all that matters.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Yeah, Jody Shelly and Dan Carcillo are such a better judges of NHL players than GMs, head coaches, scouts, and everyone else hired for the purpose of...judging NHL players.

Maybe we should replace Gauthier with Yannick Weber, since he's an NHL player and so his assessment is all that matters.
150 players can't be wrong but you are.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
GeneralMarky79

this article is so far from the truth its ridiculous!! look at the way the voting was done. Raask? sure he's good but he is a back up goalie? and why the hell would Lucic be ahead of Jordan ****ing Eberle?

Old
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Do they know who is good? Of course they do. But there's a reason you don't have an active players serving as scouts. Knowing how to play against a player a few times a year and objectively looking at their strengths and weaknesses through an entire season are very different things.

Most of these guys don't have the time to keep up to date with who is who when they don't play in the same division. Just look at the interviews when a player gets traded what he thinks about his new team, it's always the same thing - they know if their new team is having a good or bad year, they will be able to name who the best players are, but that's usually as far as it goes.

I would never claim I know more about the sport itself than any of the players, I'm not even close to a hockey expert, but as someone able to watch multiple games a night thanks to GameCentre and a hockey nerd who wastes times looking at the stats, I am focusing more on the big picture than the players themselves are. That's not their job.
It's part of a player's job to know who's the opposition. You'd think Gorges would play the same way against Malkin than, let's say, Rinaldo? Of course not, because he knows Malkin is a generational talent and Rinaldo may just hunt his head.

Also, in the 24/7 series, coaches told the player to watch ''x'' player before each game or during the intermissions.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Et le But

Quote:
150 players can be wrong because objectively picking the best 50 players out of the NHL is near impossible, and I'd be amazed if more than a handful of players in the league regularly follows what goes on in the other conference.

Quote:
It's part of a player's job to know who's the opposition. You'd think Gorges would play the same way against Malkin than, let's say, Rinaldo? Of course not, because he knows Malkin is a generational talent and Rinaldo may just hunt his head.

Also, in the 24/7 series, coaches told the player to watch ''x'' player before each game or during the intermissions.
Of course, but teams are going to focus on those they face more often - for instance Gorges is going to know a lot more about the strengths and weaknesses of a forward on the Bruins than he will on say, the Coyotes. He will obviously know who the best forwards are on the Coyotes, but he might not know the specifics.

And of course Gorges isn't going to be an expert on which goalies are currently better than others.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMarky79 View Post
dam right im serious lucic is one of the top 50 players in the nhl? ahhh nope
I personally think there isn't 30 better players than him and I don't mean skill because honestly a player like Andrei Kostitsyn is more skilled than Lucic, it's much much more than skill, his presence alone can sometimes intimidate teams so much that it wins Boston games.

Look at the Miller hit, Miller was horrendous 2 months after that hit, some people thought he was mentally done.

Damn right I'd rather have Lucic in my team than 98% of players in this league.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
JohnLennon

Krejci? Fleury? Lecavalier? Holy **** that's a terrible snub. I can think of more than one Montreal Canadiens that are better than those players this season. Okay, maybe just one other in Cole, and that's pushing it... but I seriously would not consider Krejci or Lecavalier as anywhere near top 50 players in hockey.

That's pretty sad.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I believe that Price should be there. But personnally, he wouldn't be that high based on the fact that he's still looking for some success in the playoffs. Rask makes no sense in being there as well. Surely regular season has to count, and Price deserves some recognition. Reason why he has to be top 50.....but at the end of the list based on MY evaluation. You are a top player the day you shine in the TOP season, the playoffs.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The methodology is wrong.

I posted this earlier it's from the TSN panel at the beginning of the year. I think it's a pretty good list considering it was made in Sept. Changes would be made of course Quick in, OV lower etc...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=49958

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

David Krejci hahahaha

Going with that, Rask over Price?? hahaha

PKarey Plekoretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
the

Who cares about Price,just because he gets those random molson cups every month doesn't mean he should be on this list...yes he's good but he's also overrated here in Montreal.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

so if he was one spot up this thread wouldn't exist?

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
hockeyfan2k11

But where is DD?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

nice little vid on DD off to the right on the OP hockey news link.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Young Gun

Right now price is overrated a bit, not saying he can't be a real good to elite goalie.
He's not there right now, he needs to win the big games, the important periods, bear down on breakaways and shootouts.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
For our March 19 issue of The Hockey News, we polled five players from each NHL team for who they thought were the top five players in the league today. Players couldn't vote for teammates. After tabulating the votes, we ended up with a ranking of the top 50 players in the NHL.

So... someone voted for Vincent Lecavalier as a top 5 players in the league? Doubt that. I'm pretty sure they voted because they're buddies more than anything else.
Who the **** voted for Lucic and Rask as top 5 players in the league today?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I believe that Price should be there. But personnally, he wouldn't be that high based on the fact that he's still looking for some success in the playoffs. Rask makes no sense in being there as well. Surely regular season has to count, and Price deserves some recognition. Reason why he has to be top 50.....but at the end of the list based on MY evaluation. You are a top player the day you shine in the TOP season, the playoffs.
The less recognition he's gets right now , the cheaper he will be signed for in the summer, thats a good thing for the team, more money for a d-men and a top 6 and two bottom 6 players.

It has been a crappy season, price and pk did **** all to deserve big fat paydays.
Gives management some wiggle room with the bucks for next season.

They should toss some money DD's and mac pac's way. Solid season for both.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote