HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Players vote Top 50 Players in the game - Carey Price snubbed

Old
03-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
Price is a solid goalie but he's not the player a lot of you think he is. He's not a superstar yet. He's not a franchise player yet. He hasn't proven anything in the playoffs yet..

Call me a hater but that's the reality and now the players are showing you. These players play against him all the time. Can Price be a great goalie? definitely but he's not there yet and in Montreal, he is slightly overrated.

He's not a top 10 goalie in the NHL this year ..now if you add forwards and defenseman, you can see why he's not in the top 50 but he's not far from it.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Price is a solid goalie but he's not the player a lot of you think he is. He's not a superstar yet. He's not a franchise player yet. He hasn't proven anything in the playoffs yet..

Call me a hater but that's the reality and now the players are showing you. These players play against him all the time. Can Price be a great goalie? definitely but he's not there yet and in Montreal, he is slightly overrated.

He's not a top 10 goalie in the NHL this year ..now if you add forwards and defenseman, you can see why he's not in the top 50 but he's not far from it.
Even then, I still don't see how you can rank David Krejci, Tuuka Rask, Kris Letang, Marc-Andre Fleury, Milan Lucic, Miikka Kiprusoff, and Vincent Lecavalier ahead of him.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
wedge

not this year. I'm not surprised.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Even then, I still don't see how you can rank David Krejci, Tuuka Rask, Kris Letang, Marc-Andre Fleury, Milan Lucic, Miikka Kiprusoff, and Vincent Lecavalier ahead of him.
Letang deserves to be on it. Lucic and Krejci are borderline, the Stanley Cup puts them over the edge. Probably helps Rask too, but I have no clue how he made it. Fleury also has the cup going for him, even though I rate Price higher than both him and Rask.

Kiprusoff and Lecavalier are living off their legacies. Neither is even close to their prime.

This is what I mean, players are just as guilty as fans of lazy analysis. This doesn't mean the players don't know more about hockey than us, but few players study everything going on in the league. They are more focused on their own game and specific matchups.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Agree, these guys have a good rep in the league and probably got votes from their friends or from recent events (Boston winning CUP). Lecavalier and Kiprusoff are living off their reputation.

I have no problem ranking Rask and Letang higher than Price but the rest ..it's a stretch.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
And before anybody asks...there's no Halak on the list either.

Oh I absolutely believe that Rask is and will be an excellent goalie.

I was just surprised to see him listed, while Price was nowhere to be seen.
price / halak not much difference there, maybe wins in the big games .

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Protest the Hero

They should've thrown out the ballots of anyone who seriously considered Lucic, Krejci, Rask and Lecavalier top 5 players in the league.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
GordonGraham

Thats the right call he clearly doesnt belong to that list

Hes not a top 10 goalie so i dont think he was snubbed at all

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:34 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

To me, it's not so much that Price got snubbed, it's just laughable to see guys like Krejci, Rask and Lecavalier there ahead of him

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
They should've thrown out the ballots of anyone who seriously considered Lucic, Krejci, Rask and Lecavalier top 5 players in the league.
It's pretty clear that a lot of the guys considered it a joke and voted accordingly.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
The less recognition he's gets right now , the cheaper he will be signed for in the summer, thats a good thing for the team, more money for a d-men and a top 6 and two bottom 6 players.

It has been a crappy season, price and pk did **** all to deserve big fat paydays.
Gives management some wiggle room with the bucks for next season.

They should toss some money DD's and mac pac's way. Solid season for both.
Sorry. Won't happen. You think that Price cares about what the players think as far as his salary is concerned? This organization decided to ship Huet for a pick because they thought Price was ready to take charge. They also decided to ship the hometown hero for an unproven player because they thought he could take charge. They shipped everybody out so that he'd be the man. Why do you think Price and his agent don't know that? Price could asked whatever he wants. They have no choice but to give it to him. No choice whatsoever. We only have to hope that Price REALLY will give us a real hometown discount. There will be no negotiations. Just Price and his demands. Let's hope he's a nice guy in that regard.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post

I agree with this. I think a lot of fans have a skewed image of Price because of what Gainey has said in order to validate drafting him; trading Huet; and subsequently trading Halak. Price has been consistently been labelled a thoroughbred by the Habs organization and as such is somewhat overvalued. The problem is that he's been praised by ppl within the Habs organization that have continuously tried to justify their decisions to favour Price.

That being said, Price is a great goalie with formidable size and technique but with his numbers this yr and in the past and the fact he's only won 1 round of a playoff series in his career proves that he's not close to being elite.

Furthermore, I know he's won the Molson Cup almost every month this season, but damn the kid hasn't stolen one game for us this yr. Not one. All of his shutouts have come in games where the Habs had a decent goal advantage.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:27 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry. Won't happen. You think that Price cares about what the players think as far as his salary is concerned? This organization decided to ship Huet for a pick because they thought Price was ready to take charge. They also decided to ship the hometown hero for an unproven player because they thought he could take charge. They shipped everybody out so that he'd be the man. Why do you think Price and his agent don't know that? Price could asked whatever he wants. They have no choice but to give it to him. No choice whatsoever. We only have to hope that Price REALLY will give us a real hometown discount. There will be no negotiations. Just Price and his demands. Let's hope he's a nice guy in that regard.
I agree with everything you're saying. But since Price is an RFA, if his salary demands are off the chart which they very well may be, I'd be willing to entertain offers or get a boat load of first rounders if he signs a contract with another.

Old
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Habs

I'm fine with that, but Rask shouldn't be there either.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:54 AM
HeShootsHeScores

He is snubbed because of the team in front of him. Had this team been in a playoff spot, he'd be on that list without a doubt.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I agree with this. I think a lot of fans have a skewed image of Price because of what Gainey has said in order to validate drafting him; trading Huet; and subsequently trading Halak. Price has been consistently been labelled a thoroughbred by the Habs organization and as such is somewhat overvalued. The problem is that he's been praised by ppl within the Habs organization that have continuously tried to justify their decisions to favour Price.

That being said, Price is a great goalie with formidable size and technique but with his numbers this yr and in the past and the fact he's only won 1 round of a playoff series in his career proves that he's not close to being elite.

Furthermore, I know he's won the Molson Cup almost every month this season, but damn the kid hasn't stolen one game for us this yr. Not one. All of his shutouts have come in games where the Habs had a decent goal advantage.
Ok Enough is enough.

First of all, Carey Price plays on one of the worse defensive teams I've ever, yes i said EVER seen. Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, Campoli? Are you ****in kidding me? If I had a penny every time one of of men lost their man creating a major scoring chance, or everytime they left a guy wide open in the slot, or every time they let a guy pounce on his own rebound two or times to score, i would be a BILLIONAIRE.

Do people look around the league at all? Did you guys see us getting 1 scoring chance the whole game vs St Louis? No! Thats because Halak plays in front of a real team, not a bunch of sad pathetic people like Carey does. Did you guys see the number of times Tim Thomas was bailed out by his defense when we played them last game? The number of times we had open nets but we're well covered, or when Chara blocked the whole net as thomas was down and out? Do you guys really think ANYBODY, even Halak or Thomas would have had a winning season with Montreal? Another thing, playing night in and night out counts for something, and Price has been a real workhorse the past 2 years, 70 games a year takes a toll on your "stats" because you are there every game and do not benefit from having nights off when the team is having a bad stretch. That's where your "stats" drip, no matter who you are. But if the coach plays you only half the time, than your stats dont drip very much.

Second, having a guy like Price really helps the defensemen in our zone retrieve the puck, Price is so damn good with hitting pucks in the air, making solid passes and reversing behind the net, a team like Detroit who has a good coach at the helm would've taken advantage of this luxury. How many times has he made a clear by himself on the pk which by the way is number 1 in the league with him in net? Again, only a handful of goalies can do this.

Third, what is with this nonsense that he has not stolen any games business? Does he have to flop like a fish and make saves out of his ass like Thomas to be great in net? Watch the games, Price has such good positioning and lateral movement that he makes it all look easy. He is NEVER flopping on the ice, always square to the shooter, big in net. Had the habs given him better goal outputs, we would've won a ton more games even with this dispecable defense in front of him.

Also another thing, people are so obsessed with "statistics" it is crazy. Watch the games, judge for yourself. See the defensive breakdowns habs have every 5 minutes, and compare that to St Louis, Rangers, Bruins, Wings, Preds. Then come and tell me with a straight face that the team does not make a difference on a goalie's "stats".

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Lecavalier is a joke.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Not that I care whether or not Price is on this list, but the methodology used was ridiculous. Obviously it would be impractical to get players to each make their own top 50 list, but to combine a bunch of top 5 lists into a top 50 makes zero sense.

Past the top 10, not much weight should be given to the results. Would be more interesting if they told us how many players voted for each person on the list and the average ranking they gave them.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Ok Enough is enough.

First of all, Carey Price plays on one of the worse defensive teams I've ever, yes i said EVER seen. Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, Campoli? Are you ****in kidding me? If I had a penny every time one of of men lost their man creating a major scoring chance, or everytime they left a guy wide open in the slot, or every time they let a guy pounce on his own rebound two or times to score, i would be a BILLIONAIRE.

Do people look around the league at all? Did you guys see us getting 1 scoring chance the whole game vs St Louis? No! Thats because Halak plays in front of a real team, not a bunch of sad pathetic people like Carey does. Did you guys see the number of times Tim Thomas was bailed out by his defense when we played them last game? The number of times we had open nets but we're well covered, or when Chara blocked the whole net as thomas was down and out? Do you guys really think ANYBODY, even Halak or Thomas would have had a winning season with Montreal? Another thing, playing night in and night out counts for something, and Price has been a real workhorse the past 2 years, 70 games a year takes a toll on your "stats" because you are there every game and do not benefit from having nights off when the team is having a bad stretch. That's where your "stats" drip, no matter who you are. But if the coach plays you only half the time, than your stats dont drip very much.

Second, having a guy like Price really helps the defensemen in our zone retrieve the puck, Price is so damn good with hitting pucks in the air, making solid passes and reversing behind the net, a team like Detroit who has a good coach at the helm would've taken advantage of this luxury. How many times has he made a clear by himself on the pk which by the way is number 1 in the league with him in net? Again, only a handful of goalies can do this.

Third, what is with this nonsense that he has not stolen any games business? Does he have to flop like a fish and make saves out of his ass like Thomas to be great in net? Watch the games, Price has such good positioning and lateral movement that he makes it all look easy. He is NEVER flopping on the ice, always square to the shooter, big in net. Had the habs given him better goal outputs, we would've won a ton more games even with this dispecable defense in front of him.

Also another thing, people are so obsessed with "statistics" it is crazy. Watch the games, judge for yourself. See the defensive breakdowns habs have every 5 minutes, and compare that to St Louis, Rangers, Bruins, Wings, Preds. Then come and tell me with a straight face that the team does not make a difference on a goalie's "stats".
Seriously man...

Thomas, Howard and Rinne are sitting there behind Norris winners and our guy is behind a group borne out of the AHL. You'd think that his own fans understand and appreciate this.

It kind of reminds me of how Leaf fans were with Sundin. No matter what that guy did there were folks who just didn't like him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Ok Enough is enough.

Don't get me wrong, Price is a good goalie. But he hasn't always played on a crap team with crap defence - in past yrs when the Habs have had better defencemen standing in front of him, he wasn't stellar. Both he and Halak had the same defencemen standing in front of them yet one of the two was playing better than the other. Those are the facts. He just hasn't proven much yet and he's a bit overvalued from that stand point - that's all I'm saying.

All I hope is that he doesn't ask for the moon when it comes to contract negotiations because he hasn't earned much yet. And you can bet that the fans will be on him like crazy if he starts to falter a bit if he's not living up to his ginormous contract. So for his sake, it would be better to make less money.

Anyway I'm just not surprised that he wasn't chosen as a Top 50 in the NHL by his peers. Because they're not asking them who they think MIGHT be a good player in the future or who has the potential of being a good player, they're asking who IS a good player right now. By your logic, you should also be surprised that they haven't chosen Eller in the Top 50 as well.

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 03-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
03-03-2012, 11:39 AM
habscup

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Price is a good goalie. But he hasn't always played on a crap team with crap defence - in past yrs when the Habs have had better defencemen standing in front of him, he wasn't stellar. Both he and Halak had the same defencemen standing in front of them yet one of the two was playing better than the other. Those are the facts. He just hasn't proven much yet and he's a bit overvalued from that stand point - that's all I'm saying.

All I hope is that he doesn't ask for the moon when it comes to contract negotiations because he hasn't earned much yet. And you can bet that the fans will be on him like crazy if he starts to falter a bit if he's not living up to his ginormous contract. So for his sake, it would be better to make less money.
Hart trophy votes last year, and 4th most votes for vezina.

Are you seriously going to use that year where Halak played the hockey of his life to discredit Price who was 21-22 years old at the time?

Old
03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
habscup

Quote:

Anyway I'm just not surprised that he wasn't chosen as a Top 50 in the NHL by his peers. Because they're not asking them who they think MIGHT be a good player in the future or who has the potential of being a good player, they're asking who IS a good player right now. By your logic, you should also be surprised that they haven't chosen Eller in the Top 50 as well.
You're comparing Eller to Price now? How stupid is that?

By the way this is not based on potential, all the things i said are based on NOW, his play now, not on what he hopes to become. He's already a top 5 goalie no questions asked.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
You're comparing Eller to Price now? How stupid is that?

By the way this is not based on potential, all the things i said are based on NOW, his play now, not on what he hopes to become. He's already a top 5 goalie no questions asked.
He's 21st in save percentage this season, 10th in shutouts, 17th in GAA.

He may be a top-5 goalie, but it's legitimate to ask the question.

Is he clearly better than Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Halak, Luongo, Miller, Vokoun, etc?

It's not clear that he is.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Is he clearly better than Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Halak, Luongo, Miller, Vokoun, etc?

Yes, he's clearly better than Halak, Luongo, Vokoun.

Yes lets use guys who have played less then 40 games and compare that to Price who has played 56 already to make it look like Price is 16th in gaa.

Elliot 29 games started. Please! Halak 36, please.Rask 22, hahaha.Schneider 24.Giguere 29. Even Thomas at 41 has it veryy easy. You take those guys out and suddenly Price is 10th in gaa on a team much worse defensively than any of the other goalies in the top 10.

And again, stats are stats, you judge the guy by watching him play.

Let me post this again, maybe you didn't see it the first time.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Precisely.

The team has tied the wagon to this guy, for good or bad. They will treat him as their long term starting goaltender ala Cam Ward and go as far as they can for as long as they can. He's not a top goaltender at the moment but let's hope in the long run he's good enough.

Having said that if contract demands become unreasonable you have to look elsewhere, he can't hold the team hostage after the incredible way they've supported him.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote