HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Ranking 1st Overall Picks

Old
03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
matsblue13

vCash: 500
Ranking 1st Overall Picks

Rank the first overall picks from from the year 1990 to 2000:

1. Thornton
2. Lindros
3. Lecavalier
4. Nolan
5. Jovanovski
6. Hamrlik
7. Phillips
8. DiPietro
9. Berard
10.Daigle
11.Stefan

Overall, most of the first overall selections were pretty bad excluding the first four.

matsblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post

1. Thornton
2. Lindros
3. Lecavalier
4. Nolan
5. Jovanovski
6. Hamrlik
7. Phillips
8. DiPietro
9. Berard
10.Daigle
11.Stefan

Overall, most of the first overall selections were pretty bad excluding the first four.
1. Lindros - at least brought his team to one SCF, but I see arguments for Thornton
2. Thornton
3. Lecavalier
4. Nolan
5. Hamrlik - Hamrlik is TOP 4 defensman for 1400 games, that means something
6. Jovanovski
7. Phillips
8. Berard - he had more elite seasons than DiPietro
9. DiPietro
10. Daigle
11. Stefan

My ranking is based on overall career.
//: I respect Hamrlik's career more than most of people. He might not become what he was projected to be, but his overall career is pretty damn respectful.

Last edited by begbeee: 03-02-2012 at 02:33 PM.
begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
redbull
yes yes yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post

1. Thornton
2. Lindros
3. Lecavalier
4. Nolan
5. Jovanovski
6. Hamrlik
7. Phillips
8. DiPietro
9. Berard
10.Daigle
11.Stefan

what are we ranking on?

the best player in the bunch is Eric Lindros, though his career didn't last long.

Lindros

Thornton
Lecavalier (Surprised by him somewhat, not sure if his cup run was a blip or not. Solid player though)
Nolan

Jovo
Hamrlik
Phillips

DiPietro (I believe he has real potential to be top 5 on this list before he got hurt. Was always in a toxic organization, which didn't help)
Berard (forgot he was a first overall - that was a crap draft)
Daigle
Stefan

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

the most productive player has been thornton, but lindros easily was the best player.

i go lindros #1 because his peak was so high and he's the only #1 of that decade to carry his team to a stanley cup finals.

thornton #2 for great career value, legitimate franchise player and one time MVP, can lead a good team, though not yet to the promise land.

then a huge jump down to #3, which is lecavalier. by my count, he was at least behind richards, khabibulin, and st. louis on that tampa bay team that won the cup. arguably also behind boyle, who keyed their transition game, and possibly equal with stillman. a good player for a long time, but only one year was he in thornton's league, and he would have been at the bottom of that elite league.

#4 would be nolan. never led his teams anywhere, but a very good productive player for a long time. legitimate star scorer, but rarely in the truly elite echelon of power forwards like tkachuk, shanahan, kevin stevens, neely, etc. like many guys on this list, injuries may have kept him from fulfilling his true potential, which was astronomical.

#5 i could go either way on jovo or hamrlik. hamrlik has stayed good for longer, jovo arguably had the higher peak though both were adventures on the defensive end when they were at their respective offensive peaks. actually, now that i think about it, there is a small but clear separation: #5 hamrlik, #6 jovanovski. peak jovo was a more impactful player than young offensive hamrlik and older steady hamrlik, but hamrlik's body of work and lasting power as a good top four d-man puts him ahead.

#7 phillips. steady, unspectacular, long career, integral part of a finals team.

#8 berard. without projecting whether he would have ended up being a housley, a reinhardt, or a leetch, he was pretty excellent offensively before hossa accidentally took out his eye. i think he showed more in his brief career than dipietro did.

#9 dipietro. for a brief spell, he was a top ten goalie in the league. which is worth a lot more than the career accomplishment of...

#10 stefan. didn't contribute anything on an elite or even very good level. but was a decent, if disappointing, role player. didn't make waves, wasn't a disruption, tried hard except for that one time in edmonton when hemsky cemented stefan's afterlife as a youtube joke.

#11 daigle. at his best was better than stefan, but he was a disruption, had an attitude, had negative value to his teams, one year blip at the end as a good citizen in minnesota doesn't make up for all of that.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Big Phil

1. Thornton - might be the only one here to ever make the HHOF. The only other in the running is Lindros and we all know his sharp critics. Of course, eventually you get the feeling Lindros is in there. But Thornton might not have been better at his best (2006) to Lindros' (1996) but there isn't a HUGE difference. Career wise Thornton has stayed healthy and has many elite seasons and other very good ones.

2. Lindros - Is #2 by default here. Wouldn't be anywhere near #2 if we were doing the next decades #1 picks. Had the most hype since Lemieux though and that includes Crosby. I think people forget just how dominant he was supposed to be.

3. Lecavalier - Could have been an all-time great.

4. Nolan - Had that blip year in 2000. Then everything else looks ordinary. Hard to believe he was one of the first 8 picks for Team Canada in 2002. Tells you how much his 2000 season helped out.

5. Hamrlik - He could play on my team anyday. Yeah I know, nowhere near a Norris, but I liked him better than the other defensemen on here.

6. Jovanovski - On here by default I guess. Is #6 just because the ones beneath him weren't special either, not because he was elite.

7. Phillips - If you put him ahead of Jovanovski it wouldn't be a crime. Steady and solid.

8. DiPietro - Even healthy I never saw the fuss about him. Has 4 full seasons under his belt. Hasn't had a full season - or even to be classified as a parital one - in 4 seasons. The best accomplishment he's had in his 10 year career is finishing 6th in shutouts in 2007.

9. Berard - Everyone thinks the eye injury in 2000 is the reason he never flourished. That's not true, the Islanders traded him when he was 21 to the Leafs. He had 30 points in 64 games before Hossa's stick hit him. He was an offensive defenseman who never surpassed 48 points.

10.Daigle - Too much negativity to even bother bringing up

11.Stefan - The worst bust in history. Never played in a postseason game. Never surpassed 40 points. Had an assist in his first NHL game and 5 points in his first 4. Then 19 in his next 77 games. The Hockey News projecting him as a 110-120 guy in their draft preview I kid you not. Would have never even remembered him if he wouldn't live in infamy on Youtube because of the empty net miss

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
unknown33

Pretty funny that nearly every #1 pick from the 00s already has a better career than all but Thornton/Lindros/(Lecavalier)

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Honestly is there thaaaat much difference between thornton and lecavalier? Lecavalier has a cup, a world cup (mvp of the tournament) and a rocket richard trophy to his name. Sure thornton may have been the better player in the long haul but lecavalier had a pretty good peak too and something thornton hasn't been able to get - a ring.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
9. Berard - Everyone thinks the eye injury in 2000 is the reason he never flourished. That's not true, the Islanders traded him when he was 21 to the Leafs. He had 30 points in 64 games before Hossa's stick hit him. He was an offensive defenseman who never surpassed 48 points.
I think you're selling him short. Those 48 points were as a 19 year old as scoring was going down in '97. The fact that he was already a 40+ point d-man at 22 in the dead puck era is pretty impressive and he still had a lot of time to develop if it weren't for the injury.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
Honestly is there thaaaat much difference between thornton and lecavalier? Lecavalier has a cup, a world cup (mvp of the tournament) and a rocket richard trophy to his name. Sure thornton may have been the better player in the long haul but lecavalier had a pretty good peak too and something thornton hasn't been able to get - a ring.
I think there is significant difference between the two. For starters Thornton has 1060 points. Lecavalier has 839. Big difference there from two players who started a year apart.

PPG
Thornton - 1.01
Lecavalier - 0.85

GPG
Thornton - 0.30
Lecavalier - 0.38

APG
Thornton - 0.70
Lecavalier - 0.47

Pretty clear difference in my mind. In the one area where you assume Lecavalier should cream Thornton he actually isn't doing so which would be the goals department. Not to mention Lecavalier basically has two elite years to his name and that's it. Thornton has about a half dozen and he still has a good shot to add things to his resume. What can Lecavalier add now? Probably not much.

Not to mention in Lecavalier's two best years Thornton outpointed him both times. Lecavalier does have a Cup ring, and while he did good in 2004 he still can thank St. Louis and Richards more than anything. I really fail to see how Lecavalier is much of - if at all - a better playoff performer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I think you're selling him short. Those 48 points were as a 19 year old as scoring was going down in '97. The fact that he was already a 40+ point d-man at 22 in the dead puck era is pretty impressive and he still had a lot of time to develop if it weren't for the injury.
When he was traded to the Isles, it isn't as if the hockey world was stunned and assumed the Leafs got a steal. Think about that for a second, look who he was traded for. It was a straight up deal for Felix Potvin. Yeah not bad, but what does that tell you about what the Isles thought of him if they unload a 21 year old offensively gifted defenseman who should have nowhere to go but up for a solid goalie who hadn't had an elite season in a few years? It tells me that they weren't very high up on him. He wasn't making the progress they had hoped he would. For once, Mad Mike Milbury actually made a decent trade. I remember that trade distinctively and I was happy, but I didn't think we were getting a potential franchise defenseman at the time either. No one did. So its important to revisit the perception people had of him even before his eye injury. He wasn't a HHOFer in the making.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:09 AM
begbeee

He cartainly was not HOFer on the road but he was definitely a elite offensive defensman.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:12 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Leacavaloer had a good season and a half peak as an elite player but Thornton was one of the best in the league for a long time. IMO, there's a better case for Thornton over Lindros than Lecavalier over Thornton

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Stephen

Lindros
Thornton
Lecavalier
Nolan
Jovanovski
Hamrlik
Phillips