HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

At what point are you considered semi-pro?

Old
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
koh19

vCash: 500

I'm doing my resume (CV) and I'm wondering if I should write that I've been playing semi-pro hockey for the past 3 years. I think that something like this can make your CV look good.

Here are some details:

- it's the 1st league in Switzerland, 3rd division, right under the NLA and NLB (professional leagues). It's the highest "amateur" league in the country.
- we practiced (past tense cuz the season is finished) 3-4 times a week, had to be there 1 hour before every practice, had to warm up, do exercises, had to be ready 5-10 minutes before ice-time for instructions, exercise explanation, etc... don't know if this is helpful but it's just to give you an indication of how "professional" we were (or not)
- had 1 to 2 games a week
- got paid for it, it wasn't much (three number figure for the entire season) but still got something, also got a credit for equipment.
- went to gym every week to maintain gains, to work on conditioning, avoid injuries.
- during the season, outside of university, playing hockey and being involved with everything around it was basically the only thing I did.

Can this be considered semi-pro sports? I'm guessing the fact that I got paid to play a sport is decisive here.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:41 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm doing my resume (CV) and I'm wondering if I should write that I've been playing semi-pro hockey for the past 3 years. I think that something like this can make your CV look good.

Here are some details:

- it's the 1st league in Switzerland, 3rd division, right under the NLA and NLB (professional leagues). It's the highest "amateur" league in the country.
- we practiced (past tense cuz the season is finished) 3-4 times a week, had to be there 1 hour before every practice, had to warm up, do exercises, had to be ready 5-10 minutes before ice-time for instructions, exercise explanation, etc... don't know if this is helpful but it's just to give you an indication of how "professional" we were (or not)
- had 1 to 2 games a week
- got paid for it, it wasn't much (three number figure for the entire season) but still got something, also got a credit for equipment.
- went to gym every week to maintain gains, to work on conditioning, avoid injuries.
- during the season, outside of university, playing hockey and being involved with everything around it was basically the only thing I did.

Can this be considered semi-pro sports? I'm guessing the fact that I got paid to play a sport is decisive here.
The definition of a semi-professional athlete is one that gets paid for playing, but not enough for it to be their full time job (not a living wage). So yeah, I'd say that counts.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
The definition of a semi-professional athlete is one that gets paid for playing, but not enough for it to be their full time job (not a living wage). So yeah, I'd say that counts.
I was unaware that was the "official" definition. Thanks.

I'd like more opinions, just to be sure though.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
capebretoncanadien

Sure...you got paid...reasonably high level. I'd be comfortable putting it on my resume.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I'd say it's Semi-pro based on everything that you said. But you then I saw you said it was ''amateur''..

Amateur doesn't count as semi-pro, correct?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:23 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Amateur means you don't get paid, Professional means you do. Semi-Pro means you don't get paid enough and need to work a day job.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I'd say it's Semi-pro based on everything that you said. But you then I saw you said it was ''amateur''..

Amateur doesn't count as semi-pro, correct?
Well that's just the name they give it. I think it's there to distinguish it from the 2 national leagues (NLA and NLB).

Old
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
rinkrat22

if you are getting paid, its a job. whether you make enough to live on is a different story.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
Amateur means you don't get paid, Professional means you do. Semi-Pro means you don't get paid enough and need to work a day job.
yeah the amount I got was very small but I'm still getting paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
if you are getting paid, its a job. whether you make enough to live on is a different story.
Yeah that seems about right. To call it a "job" is perhaps a bit far fetched but I was definitely training like a semi-pro if not a pro.

So I guess I can put "semi-pro" athlete on my resume.

Thanks guys!

Old
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Stickmata

When you say 'resume', do you mean a professional resume to get a white collar job, etc.? If so, I don't think whether you call it semi-pro or not even matters. Just desribe the activity and committment you made as evidence of your discipline. I don't think an employer is going to care whether you call it amateur or semi-pro.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
ean

Not disagreeing with anyone in this thread, but according to most of your definitions, wouldn't the CHL be considered semi-pro hockey?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Kulluminati

I definitely think that's considered semi-pro.

"A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and thus is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, thus making the athlete not a full professional athlete."

^ stole that from wikipedia.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If you're getting paid then definitely.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Not disagreeing with anyone in this thread, but according to most of your definitions, wouldn't the CHL be considered semi-pro hockey?
CHL as in Canadian junior hockey rather than American minor-league CHL based in the south, yes?

Yes, they would be considered semi-pro players. That's why they are not allowed to play in the NCAA.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
CHL as in Canadian junior hockey rather than American minor-league CHL based in the south, yes?

Yes, they would be considered semi-pro players. That's why they are not allowed to play in the NCAA.
agreed thats why major junior players loose NCAA eligibility. money exchanges hands.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote