HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Is tonight's win in Washington D.C. our signature win/turning point of the season?

Old
03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Czech Trio
from jersey

vCash: 500
Good win?...yes

Turning point?...no

Washington is nothing special lately especially in that game.

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
Good win?...yes

Turning point?...no

They were just on a 3 game win-streak and are no slouches at home...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Missed it, but just watched the highlights.

Nice.

Basement Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I definitely agree with Jim about Yayo. I have some friends that are Devs fans and they harp on him all the time. A few even say that he's a bust! He's 21 for pete's sake. He already understands the two way game at a very high level and as he gets stronger, he'll improve immensely. I think that he will become a better player than Henrique.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I agree with this...I'd also would like add that Josefson's game is starting to round into form. I hope this kid can stay relatively healthy for a couple of years and continue his development because I love his game.

He is starting to look like a one of those players that can be a jack-of-all-trades. Someone that play any role asked of him and do it well.
He reminds me of Elias at times, and I think this is why. He has the same excellent hockey sense, some playmaking ability, and his defensive play is already excellent. I'm glad he's getting more ice time right now, I think he's earning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Really happy about the win, really nervous about Zach. Any updates? Could be the Devils version of Crosby...

Also, how did Larsson and Zidlicky look? I saw Larsson really reaching on the early 2 on 1 for the Caps.
The Devils say Zach is fine, so who knows what that means.

Zidlicky looked good, I thought. Much better positionally in this game, and if they gave out third assists he would get one on Parise's PP goal. He started that play with his keep at the line.

Larsson is still frequently out of position, and he went for a couple open ice hits when he shouldn't have. Directly caused two odd man rushes, Volch made a nice play to break up one of them, and Moose made a big save for the other. He did do well on the breakouts though, and I'm sure he'll shake off the rust soon.

It's hard to fault any of our defencemen on a night where we shut out the potent Caps.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Nick Pappagiorgio

6 on 8

Nick Pappagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

More like 8 was deep 6'd

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I`m still having giggles.

Thank you very much Nick.

EDIT: Can you find Poni`s hit on Ference too?

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
I definitely agree with Jim about Yayo. I have some friends that are Devs fans and they harp on him all the time. A few even say that he's a bust! He's 21 for pete's sake. He already understands the two way game at a very high level and as he gets stronger, he'll improve immensely. I think that he will become a better player than Henrique.
There was one play where it looked like a Cap along the near boards was going to break into the zone alone on Moose until Josefson caught him with a burst of speed.

When it first happened, I didn't know who it was and I thought from the number it was Sykora, though I thought it unlikely Petr could be that fast. When I saw it was Josefson, it made much more sense, and I was pleased that the kid shows the smarts and hustle to play a complete game.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
NjDevs4994
Gate

time for the 3 and 1/2 hour drive home by my lonesome

NjDevs4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
There was one play where it looked like a Cap along the near boards was going to break into the zone alone on Moose until Josefson caught him with a burst of speed.

When it first happened, I didn't know who it was and I thought from the number it was Sykora, though I thought it unlikely Petr could be that fast. When I saw it was Josefson, it made much more sense, and I was pleased that the kid shows the smarts and hustle to play a complete game.
Good call. I missed the game, but that is nice to read.

JJ has all the tools. His passing is awesome and his shot is underrated. He just needs to get stronger. This offseason he should be in the gym 24/7. It'll help him in so many ways, especially in his durability because he has gotten injured a bit too much early in his career.

Old
03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
I love Andy!

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I agree with this...I'd also would like add that Josefson's game is starting to round into form. I hope this kid can stay relatively healthy for a couple of years and continue his development because I love his game.

He is starting to look like a one of those players that can be a jack-of-all-trades. Someone that play any role asked of him and do it well...This kid is only barely 21 years old, has play only 75 games in North America Pro games (53 NHL - 22 AHL) and has a poise and hockey sense as good as anyone on the team.

15 points in 22 AHL games and 13 points in 53 NHL games (and being a +10 during that time)
with the injuries he's had that is pretty damn good and I'm certain there is lot more that we really haven't seen yet.

I honestly believe Josefson can be one of the better 2 way centers in the league in time.

Agreed. Credit to guys like Conte/Dan Labraaten.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Nick Pappagiorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I`m still having giggles.

Thank you very much Nick.

EDIT: Can you find Poni`s hit on Ference too?

Nick Pappagiorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Kovy Wan Kenobi
Not A Rookie User

Those hits are just delicious.

Kovy Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
captainscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Big difference between the past couple of games and tonight, we played a full 60 and back-checked with some authority

Keep it going against the Isles
not really its' just hockey. they have been playing well but were not finding the back of net and not getting timely saves. hedberg made big saves, and they finished some chances.

they could have easily just won 4 out 5 instead of 1 out of 5. its hockey mini losing streaks happen but you don't get as nervous when the team is playing well and losing vs. playing poorly and losing.

this week could really cement their playoff chances if we can win 4 out of next 5 should be in real good shape

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
captainscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Roast View Post
Agreed. Credit to guys like Conte/Dan Labraaten.
he has very good patience with the puck, and is getting a couple quality chances in every game, thats what you look for, he could easily have about 5 or 6 goals at this point

Old
03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
captainscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
Good win?...yes

Turning point?...no

i don't think so either but not cause its washington but becasue they have played well, its part of ebbs and flows of the nhl. certainly they needed to get back some mojo and hopefully it will continue for a few more games, they are now so critical

Old
03-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
not really its' just hockey. they have been playing well but were not finding the back of net and not getting timely saves. hedberg made big saves, and they finished some chances.

they could have easily just won 4 out 5 instead of 1 out of 5. its hockey mini losing streaks happen but you don't get as nervous when the team is playing well and losing vs. playing poorly and losing.

this week could really cement their playoff chances if we can win 4 out of next 5 should be in real good shape
We played well against the Canucks, slept/played like **** against TB and NYR and started off the same against the Bruins but were able to pick things up and we carried that over into last night (also has a bit to do with the Caps just not having a good team)

Parise even said it himself about last nights game, we back checked and played our game with a purpose which was something we lacked the past coupla games

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
I love Andy!
I had no idea.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
dk3790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Right now I can't agree on Josefson becoming better than Henrique because I don't see it yet. Love the guy though, I was so excited when we drafted him. Gotta remember, Henrique is a rookie as well, he has just as much room to improve as Josefson does and is already at a higher level. He may improve, he may not, only time will tell. Besides that though, in 2-3 years we will have a freaking nasty center lineup with Zajac, Henrique, and Josefson... /drool

dk3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
spigavich628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
hmm...Im thinkin we could use a trollface on zuby here.

spigavich628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
Right now I can't agree on Josefson becoming better than Henrique because I don't see it yet. Love the guy though, I was so excited when we drafted him. Gotta remember, Henrique is a rookie as well, he has just as much room to improve as Josefson does and is already at a higher level. He may improve, he may not, only time will tell. Besides that though, in 2-3 years we will have a freaking nasty center lineup with Zajac, Henrique, and Josefson... /drool
Henrique's also more than a year older than Josefson so you must keep that in mind.

Love them both though.

Old
03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Both are going to be solid top 6 (hopefully top 9 if we hold on to Zajac) centers for us for a long time. That's all that matters

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:50 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Both are going to be solid top 6 (hopefully top 9 if we hold on to Zajac) centers for us for a long time. That's all that matters
I'm hoping so... While there's too much hockey left this season, hopefully, for this to matter right now; if there's one player in the last ten years or so that I'd rather not have a sophomore slump it's Henrique. He's demonstrated such a knack for creating offense, be it through dangling, cycling, or passing that I want to see this kid blossom and not regress.

That said, I'm also reminded of a young Elias in Josefson's play and stature. While it's irresponsible to pin such lofty expectations to a young player, Elias maintained similar stats at JJ's age and would show progression over his next two seasons before becoming, essentially, a PPG player in his 23 year old season. We're a long way from realizing what we have in JJ, but I'm liking his development so far.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote