HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The lock out and trade values

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The lock out and trade values

If we assume for a minute (and I know this will be a bit leap), that there is going to be an NHL season this year, it would be interesting to think about what the lockout will do to trade values of some players. For one thing, some of the more desirable impending UFAs (Aucoin, Witt, etc) may see their trade values show a sharp decline. These guys would ordinarily be valuable depth pickups at the trade deadline. But, with the shorter season, the wars of attrition are that much less significant.

And, of course, it goes with out saying that any player with a longterm contract, or a big dollar contract, is going to be worth nil after the new CBA.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out but my Islanders are not positioned well, with a bloated payroll and a few expensive impending UFAs.

Old
11-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Well, players like Palffy won't be getting the 7 million a year deals, that will be for players like Thornton, Kovalchuk, etc, and also, players like Modano and Tkachuk who are a bit older are also going to take a cut. The only players who will keep their value are the young-up-in-comers, the new stars will get the large salaries, but player like Semin are going to have to stay at smaller salaries for a while.

How this will affect trades is there won't be any player for money deals, because of the imposing cap, trading Gagne for 2 million dollars won't work anymore. But, the older players will get traded for less than you'd think, and the young, cheap guys like Semin, Bergeron, etc. will be far more valued in trades in the future.

Old
11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Well, players like Palffy won't be getting the 7 million a year deals, that will be for players like Thornton, Kovalchuk, etc,
They won't be getting $7 million a year either. That's what the whole point of the lockout is seemingly. If they were to get those contracts, they would soon be asking for $10 million and we would be right back where we started.

As for values, that will be determined by how the lockout and CBA are settled. What is the cap/luxury tax situation. Are certain contracts grandfathered in at a set cap/tax hit past a certain point? Will it be a sliding tax to a hard cap? Where will it be set at?

Once all that is settled, values will then fall in line.....fall being the operative word though.

Old
11-08-2004, 07:21 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If we assume for a minute (and I know this will be a bit leap), that there is going to be an NHL season this year, it would be interesting to think about what the lockout will do to trade values of some players. For one thing, some of the more desirable impending UFAs (Aucoin, Witt, etc) may see their trade values show a sharp decline. These guys would ordinarily be valuable depth pickups at the trade deadline. But, with the shorter season, the wars of attrition are that much less significant.

And, of course, it goes with out saying that any player with a longterm contract, or a big dollar contract, is going to be worth nil after the new CBA.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out but my Islanders are not positioned well, with a bloated payroll and a few expensive impending UFAs.

If we get a season,I expect owners to want to recoup some of their lost $ thru the playoffs.It could be an interesting trade deadline

Hahn points out in his Ask Alan column,that if this season's contracts are burned,the Isles will see Aucoin become a ufa and they could lose him for nothing.He points out that Aucoin(who was unhappy with the $4.25m he got in arbitration),might not come close to that amount under the new cba.

Hamrlik-$3.65m
Aucoin-$4.25m

imo the Isles should be concerned about both Aucoin and Hamrlik.One positive if this yr's contracts are burned,the isles have $10m off Yashin's contract.I think it'll be 6 yrs and $58m left on his deal.

and Peca will have one more yr left at roughly $5m.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 11-08-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Closed Thread