HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'd take aggressive if it was smarter aggressive. I mean, the Flyers failed but look where aggressive got the Kings (coupled with a smart coaching change, obviously).
Smart coaching change?......if we hadve hired Daryl Sutter, there would be a riot on these boards......it's a crapshoot within reason of course.

I'd agree with making a significant move, but if we do, Mcphee's the one I want making that move.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:19 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And the Flyers also lost their best defenseman. It's very possible Pronger could have been enough of a boost to get them past the Devils. If that's happened, they'd crush the Rangers.

Even with their loss, who's looking better going forward?
I dont know about crushing the Rangers....the Rangers were 6-0 against the Flyers this year......and I don't think anyone could've saved the Flyers with Bryzgalaov in goal.

Holmgrem made some gutsy moves, but in the end the 2 players he traded away are in the conference finals for a 2nd year in a row with the Kings.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I dont know about crushing the Rangers....the Rangers were 6-0 against the Flyers this year......and I don't think anyone could've saved the Flyers with Bryzgalaov in goal.

Holmgrem made some gutsy moves, but in the end the 2 players he traded away are in the conference finals for a 2nd year in a row with the Kings.
How many times did the Caps beat the Pens in a row in the regular season?

Old
05-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Smart coaching change?......if we hadve hired Daryl Sutter, there would be a riot on these boards......it's a crapshoot within reason of course.

I'd agree with making a significant move, but if we do, Mcphee's the one I want making that move.

Serious question, with all due respect:

How many more years of failure do you give McPhee?

Old
05-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Atlas

It was evident to me after the Habs loss that McPhee doesn't have what it takes. But I can respect someone who sees things differently up to a point.

An honest question to the McPhee supporters:

How many more years of this?

Old
05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Before you say how many more years, tell us who they're getting to replace him.

Just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic doesn't cut it.

Show us that there is someone better out there that wants to come take this job.

Right now, they're making the playoffs, probably not performing to where they should, but seem to have a better feeling about it. Maybe they're close, maybe they're not, but it could be a lot worse.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Capsman

I want McPhee gone not because I want a FA splash or risky move. No, the lack of risky moves hasn't been GMGM's problem. He number one problem is his insistence on coaches getting on the job training with the Caps rather than hire a coach who has proven he can foster a balanced team. His number two problem is his inability to effectively fill in holes. We are not in need of stars, or elite talent, we have enough. That said, he has made what has seemed like shrewd moves that haven't panned out, and it's very difficult to know if it's all about personnel with our coaching problems.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:49 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Serious question, with all due respect:

How many more years of failure do you give McPhee?
I dunno, ......a part of me wants a change, another part of me is scared we'll end up with some putz for 3 years.

You look back at most of the GMs who've gone to or won a cup final in the last few years and there's a lot of incompetence.
Of the other 29 GMs , I'd trade McPhee for only Ken Holland, and maybe Chiarelli from Boston.

My point is, ...it's all a crapshoot.....look at the Kings, Lombardi hires Darryl Sutter....who in the bloody hell wanted Darryl Sutter a few months back?

Everyone wanted Hitchcock, well Sutter's Kings swept Hitchcocks Blues.

Do I think change would help?......yep if ....and only if we end up with the next Holland or Chiarelli, but odds are we'll end up with someone worse than McPhee........and that, I don't want!

Old
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I want McPhee gone not because I want a FA splash or risky move. No, the lack of risky moves hasn't been GMGM's problem. He number one problem is his insistence on coaches getting on the job training with the Caps rather than hire a coach who has proven he can foster a balanced team. His number two problem is his inability to effectively fill in holes. We are not in need of stars, or elite talent, we have enough. That said, he has made what has seemed like shrewd moves that haven't panned out, and it's very difficult to know if it's all about personnel with our coaching problems.
Truth be told, when McPhee signed Vokoun,Ward and Halpern and traded for Brouwer,....we all thought he'd filled those needs......he did sign Hamrlik, and at the time, most including myself weren't too impressed with that and thought we needed another solid D, but Hammer was awesome in the playoffs.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Capsman

Quote:

Everybody had a reason to not hire some coach, and everybody had a prediction of how that coach would not fit our personnel. From my perspective an experienced coach with a couple warts is better than someone getting on the job training. LA is reaping the benefits.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Everybody had a reason to not hire some coach, and everybody had a prediction of how that coach would not fit our personnel. From my perspective an experienced coach with a couple warts is better than someone getting on the job training. LA is reaping the benefits.
Totally agree, but hindsight is 20/20.......no one wanted Darryl Sutter as a coach or a GM.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Before you say how many more years, tell us who they're getting to replace him.

Just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic doesn't cut it.

Show us that there is someone better out there that wants to come take this job.

Right now, they're making the playoffs, probably not performing to where they should, but seem to have a better feeling about it. Maybe they're close, maybe they're not, but it could be a lot worse.
After doing some research on this last night, here are a few:

Paul Fenton
Jim Nill
Julien Brisbois
Pat Brisson
Jarmo Kekäläinen
Ron Hextall

Old
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Atlas

We can't worry about the next guy's competence. That's not our decision. All we can do is protest vociferously if we think McPhee is incompetent.

It's up to Ted to discover and hire a champion.

We fans have more power than we think. But if we're wishy-washy it makes Ted wishy-washy.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:03 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

I do as well.

As for Sutter, I wouldn't have wanted him as a coach, but if this is the style they're going for I'd take him over Hunter every time if only for the experience.

The Kings, though, have a roster where it makes a bit more sense to play that style. They don't have the speed to be as aggressive.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It won't happen but Kekalainen to me is the best fit. Excellent drafting pedigree, experience GMing outside of the NHL. He's the most realistically available competent option out there as far as I can tell.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

See, I don't think McPhee is incompetent at all. i think he's highly competent.

I just wonder if he's not at least slightly mediocre and to risk averse to actually win it.

If they're going to go get one, it better not be a "competent" or worse kinda guy. That's my issue and reservation in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I still would rather see a shake up in the Young Guns before they try a new GM.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If the move happens soon, I want Paul Fenton. In large part because he's already prepped for the 2012 draft.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:12 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
After doing some research on this last night, here are a few:

Paul Fenton
Jim Nill
Julien Brisbois
Pat Brisson
Jarmo Kekäläinen
Ron Hextall
Nicely done.....of the above mentioned, Nill and Kelalainen impress me the most. Brisson is a close 2nd

Fenton working under Poile does nothing for me, been there done that sort of thing.
Brisebois is intriguing but the lack of any hockey experience aside from the Bulldogs and now the Lighning is too much of a risk.

As for Hextall......I just never liked him as a player.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

I just wonder if he's not at least slightly mediocre and to risk averse to actually win it.

If they're going to go get one, it better not be a "competent" or worse kinda guy. That's my issue and reservation in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

And therein lies the error in your line of thinking, IMO. That shakeup is probably very unlikely to happen if McPhee remains in charge.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
And therein lies the error in your line of thinking, IMO. That shakeup is probably very unlikely to happen if McPhee remains in charge.
Oh I disagree.

I think Semin's on a one way ticket out the door.

If he wasn't, he would have been signed by now.

I suspect Green's going to be a toss up as well (pending on the dollars he wants).

Old
05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Based on the TEB piece about why Ovechkin sucks, I think it's highly doubtful that McPhee parts ways with Semin. And given the likely trade returns for Green, I really really doubt he plays anywhere but Washington next year.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Based on the TEB piece about why Ovechkin sucks, I think it's highly doubtful that McPhee parts ways with Semin. And given the likely trade returns for Green, I really really doubt he plays anywhere but Washington next year.
I will have to disagree on the former. I think Semin's not signed partially because they don't want him to return. If Dale comes back, I'm almost certain he won't want him back either. I also think if he hits July 1st without a deal, you can almost write him off as gone. There are going to be 4-5 teams who are willing to pay what he wants over a long deal. If not, he'll take his ball and go home to the KHL.

As for Green, I do think it's highly likely that he's here. However, if his salary demands are in the 5.5+ range, I have to wonder whether or not he sits out for a lengthy time. I do think his trade value is low, but they might be willing to take a pick or two and prospect to move him out. Boston or someone like that would certainly see the value in giving a 1st and a decent prospect/young player for Green. I can also see the Caps being willing to take that back if his demands are nuts.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:53 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

This is my line of thinking. GMGM might be one of the smarter guys in hockey. He just seems too set in his ways, possibly as an overcompensation for Ted's interference in the Jagr era (and Ted may be giving him too much leeway because of it).

I want to see what would happen if Ted told GMGM big changes had to be made. Give him enough warning to actually make a plan, but tell him the current one isn't working and to do something about it. Maybe he already did, and that's the root of the shift to D these past two years, but that still didn't entail a core change, just a style one.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah let's all be afraid of change because we dont know the list of suitable replacements. How many game 7 do McPhee built rosters get to no show in before the fans wake up? Without the Ovechkin lottery win, McPhee might not even have a playoff team here yet. One of the best players in the last 20 years fell in his lap and he continues to surround him with weak willed, simple minded players.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If he's one of the best players in the last 20 years, he transcends the game 7s. He doesn't, and he isn't. He had 3 ridiculous years.

For all the accolades Ovechkin gets, picking up a team and putting them on his back in a Game 7 hasn't ever been one.

It's more than fair to say that you're unsure about firing McPhee without a concerted look at who they would get. There's no desire from anyone who is logical around these parts to regress. Improve, yes, but regress no. That's the issue with me. I'm not willing to chance going back to where they have no shot from where they have a decent one but probably fall short.

Closed Thread