HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Don't see a GM firing in the cards, myself. Finding it difficult to handicap what they will do, though.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Nope.
Yeah, seems GMGM was hired a month before Poile. Guess I mis-remembered what happened. I'd always thought GMGM was brought in to replace Poile.

I guess it's tough to remember the specific details of something that happened when you were 14.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, seems GMGM was hired a month before Poile. Guess I mis-remembered what happened. I'd always thought GMGM was brought in to replace Poile.

I guess it's tough to remember the specific details of something that happened when you were 14.
Somehow I pegged you to be a lot older than that, . You were born in '83? You have no recollection of the original Langway, Stevens, Gartner, Carpenter, Jarvis, etc. days. Yet you have alluded to the '80's Caps a few times. Have you seen old film?

Old
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

You're right, GMGM was brought in to replace Poile. Poile started a month later in Nashville. Hence, McPhee is longer tenured than Poile.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Quasimoto

Send a message via AIM to Quasimoto
Got rid of BB, now we need another person to blame? we just need to play better in the post season especially game 7's HOW many game 7's in the last 10 years have the caps lost?

Old
05-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
Got rid of BB, now we need another person to blame? we just need to play better in the post season especially game 7's HOW many game 7's in the last 10 years have the caps lost?
Perhaps we shouldn't always be needing a game 7 to win a series. We have won exactly one series before game 7 in the Ovechkin era. Montreal NEVER should have gotten to game 7; once it did, it was anyone's game.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
It wasn't just Game 7. They wasted opportunities in both Games 3 & 5. In fact they flat out didn't even show up in Game 5 until well into the second period, that's a trait that was commonplace on Boudreau's teams.

Whatever the reasons, they still failed. I'm sick of hearing about how they are playing the right way when they clearly are not, if again they can't get past Round 2. Make the changes and blow this thing up. It's not working.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
BobRouse

No need to panic now. Really does anyone see GMGM getting fired? Thought not. Gotta live with it.

The UFA market isn't all that great, got 2 1st rounders and there are lots of FAs and even the coach we have to figure out. May not be the worst thing to have a GM who knows the team in place to handle all this.

Ted has been very loyal to GMGM. He has already wasted Ovechkin's best years as many of us were afraid he'd do. No hurry in getting him out now in Ted's eyes.\

We just gotta hope he figures something out this offseason.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:58 AM

I am 1 who tends to doubt second hand stories when they are related to my sports teams and deemed 'inside' information but I thought I'd share this with everyone regardless. I split season tickets with a friend, have for years now .... this friend was at Tommy Joe's in Bethesda this weekend and sure enough so was Allan May.

As it was told to me, the following information was disclosed by Allan May .... take it FWIW.

1. Mike Knuble HATES Dale Hunter. Considering the healthy scratches and the tone / word choice during his interview with Mike Wise .... this should surprise nobody.

2. OV will have MAJOR knee surgery this off-season. Didn't say when or how it happened.

Like I said, take it FWIW .... I have no reason to doubt my friend but knowing how often these stories are pure fluff you have every right to be skeptical.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
tycoonheart

There is no doubt Knuble hates Hunter.

Was listening to his interview on 106.7 Friday afternoon and they asked him what his relationship with Dale was.

And his response was basically "I play for my teammates, not the coach."

So yeah.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
No need to panic now. Really does anyone see GMGM getting fired? Thought not. Gotta live with it.

The UFA market isn't all that great, got 2 1st rounders and there are lots of FAs and even the coach we have to figure out. May not be the worst thing to have a GM who knows the team in place to handle all this.

Ted has been very loyal to GMGM. He has already wasted Ovechkin's best years as many of us were afraid he'd do. No hurry in getting him out now in Ted's eyes.\

Ovechkin signed a 13 year contact. I saw that as a statement that the team was looking to be competitive for a long time. Going all-in in the first couple years of that deal with a lot of greenhorns rounding out a good portion of the productive pieces of the lineup seems to me to be nothing more than hindsight talking.

I don't remember anyone saying a couple years ago that a team that at one point won 16 games in a row and led the league in scoring would quickly evolve/devolve into what we see now. I'm pretty sure noone was predicting that Ovie would all of a sudden turn into a 35 goal 75 point player or that Green would end up with groin problems or that both he and Nick would both suffer fairly serious concussions. If you had told me all of those things 3 years ago, I could have been convinced to push the chips in, but I don't remember seeing that written at the time.

Does it hurt to look back now and wonder what might have been had things been done differently? Absolutely. Would have making a big splash have guaranteed a Cup or deep run? Absolutely not. You could easily have a situation now where the trophy case is still empty, Ovechkin has 9 years left on his contract with nothing left on the farm, and a blueline consisting of the Shaone Morrissons and Milan Jurcinas of the world and not the Carlson/Alzner pairing that likely has a 10+ year run of excellent hockey in front of them.

My opinions are based on my cautious, calculating nature and I acknowledge there are other ways to skin the cat, but I see that statement made more and more often now and feel that it is disingenous to crow about it with the beneft of hindsight to make judgements.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Ovechkin signed a 13 year contact. I saw that as a statement that the team was looking to be competitive for a long time. Going all-in in the first couple years of that deal with a lot of greenhorns rounding out a good portion of the productive pieces of the lineup seems to me to be nothing more than hindsight talking.

I don't remember anyone saying a couple years ago that a team that at one point won 16 games in a row and led the league in scoring would quickly evolve/devolve into what we see now. I'm pretty sure noone was predicting that Ovie would all of a sudden turn into a 35 goal 75 point player or that Green would end up with groin problems or that both he and Nick would both suffer fairly serious concussions. If you had told me all of those things 3 years ago, I could have been convinced to push the chips in, but I don't remember seeing that written at the time.

Does it hurt to look back now and wonder what might have been had things been done differently? Absolutely. Would have making a big splash have guaranteed a Cup or deep run? Absolutely not. You could easily have a situation now where the trophy case is still empty, Ovechkin has 9 years left on his contract with nothing left on the farm, and a blueline consisting of the Shaone Morrissons and Milan Jurcinas of the world and not the Carlson/Alzner pairing that likely has a 10+ year run of excellent hockey in front of them.

My opinions are based on my cautious, calculating nature and I acknowledge there are other ways to skin the cat, but I see that statement made more and more often now and feel that it is disingenous to crow about it with the beneft of hindsight to make judgements.
No one predicted the offensive fade out.

Lots of people suggested that every year that everyone is healthy is a gift and that it was foolish to waste those years for a presumed brighter future. Plenty more said that it was beyond arrogant to waste those years in pursuit of a dynasty.

It was idiotic then and it may be one of the biggest wastes in DC sports history.

It's not hindsight. McPhee acted too conservatively. Plenty saw it.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
No one predicted the offensive fade out.

Lots of people suggested that every year that everyone is healthy is a gift and that it was foolish to waste those years for a presumed brighter future. Plenty more said that it was beyond arrogant to waste those years in pursuit of a dynasty.

It was idiotic then and it may be one of the biggest wastes in DC sports history.
Health is a gift, but it is fleeting. Not just in one season from the next, but during the course of a season as well. What if the Caps had pushed all-in during the BB years and Backstrom took that elbow to the noggin at some point during the playoffs? During those years, Backstrom was the guy who conducted the orchestra. Without him, the chance of success would have plummeted.

We're just in opposite corners on this one. Some people want to take one or two really big bite at the apple and pray that there isn't a worm inside. I want to see a team that is set up to take lots of good bites at a bunch of different apples since you never know which one might be the really good one.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

I can't recall off the top of my head, but what were your thoughts on his last offseason? At the time, short of getting a #2 C, I thought it was pretty good.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Health is a gift, but it is fleeting. Not just in one season from the next, but during the course of a season as well. What if the Caps had pushed all-in during the BB years and Backstrom took that elbow to the noggin at some point during the playoffs? During those years, Backstrom was the guy who conducted the orchestra. Without him, the chance of success would have plummeted.

We're just in opposite corners on this one. Some people want to take one or two really big bite at the apple and pray that there isn't a worm inside. I want to see a team that is set up to take lots of good bites at a bunch of different apples since you never know which one might be the really good one.
We've had six years of little bites and we are a worse team than we were two years ago. And I don't see much short term improvement without major external additions, which doesn't jive with the slow and steady philosophy. So, yeah. We are in opposite corners.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
I am 1 who tends to doubt second hand stories when they are related to my sports teams and deemed 'inside' information but I thought I'd share this with everyone regardless. I split season tickets with a friend, have for years now .... this friend was at Tommy Joe's in Bethesda this weekend and sure enough so was Allan May.

As it was told to me, the following information was disclosed by Allan May .... take it FWIW.

1. Mike Knuble HATES Dale Hunter. Considering the healthy scratches and the tone / word choice during his interview with Mike Wise .... this should surprise nobody.

2. OV will have MAJOR knee surgery this off-season. Didn't say when or how it happened.

Like I said, take it FWIW .... I have no reason to doubt my friend but knowing how often these stories are pure fluff you have every right to be skeptical.

Alan May said the exact same thing on 980 this morning, and further stated that "Knuble will not be back" and ~ "None of us leave the league like we want, on the heels of a successful 30 goal season. Most of us, like me, leave kicking, screaming and completely frustrated."

Hate to think that OV goes to the WHC knowing that he needs major surgery.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Capsman

Quote:

"Major" can mean different things to different people. I highly doubt he is getting reconstructive knee surgery. Now is it possible some cleaning up of the joint is on order, maybe. Honestly, if there has been some knee issue limiting his explosiveness, wouldn't be the worst bit if information to hear. I like that explanation better than assuming he is lazy or his skills have deteriorated. I've certainly been seeing him fall down a lot, and some knee weakness could explain that.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
We've had six years of little bites and we are a worse team than we were two years ago. And I don't see much short term improvement without major external additions, which doesn't jive with the slow and steady philosophy. So, yeah. We are in opposite corners.
Again, although I know that hindsight isn't the sole factor in play, I still think a lot of the current views of the team are certainly heavily influenced by it.

If two years ago you had predicted that the Caps would score almost 100 fewer goals this season, I don't think you would have had many people in your corner. If instead, someone would have said that the Caps would have pretty much the same offensive personnel and would have added a top defensive pairing to the mix (Carlson/Alzner), that the majority of the people would have been OK with staying the course.

Yes, some of the issues that existed back then still exist today (2C especially), but every team has holes. Such is life in a salary cap world and the Caps have been spending to the cap. One can easily make the case that the Caps' holes are in the wrong places, but I'm not going to sit here and complain that they didn't have a roster full of players perfectly suited for each role on the team like some are wont to do.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
"Major" can mean different things to different people. I highly doubt he is getting reconstructive knee surgery. Now is it possible some cleaning up of the joint is on order, maybe. Honestly, if there has been some knee issue limiting his explosiveness, wouldn't be the worst bit if information to hear. I like that explanation better than assuming he is lazy or his skills have deteriorated. I've certainly been seeing him fall down a lot, and some knee weakness could explain that.
I agree about how 'major' is defined .... it's clearly not micro-fracture or a full-blown ACL / MCL / PCL because he wouldn't have played. If anything, I'd guess it's a partial of one or 2 .... either way not great.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Capsman

Quote:
I agree about how 'major' is defined .... it's clearly not micro-fracture or a full-blown ACL / MCL / PCL because he wouldn't have played. If anything, I'd guess it's a partial of one or 2 .... either way not great.
If it limited him this year, I see it as good news. That kind of partial injury heals very well (I'm assuming there is nothing degenerative, like his meniscus going to hell) and with rehab he could be in great shape. Sometimes rehab itself will accomplish what we have all been hoping for out of OV, hard offseason work.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeah, I'm not sure of the knee surgery thing. I doubt he'd be playing in the WC if he really needed it.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If Ovy goes under the knife AFTER the WHC, what does that tell us about his dedication to the team that pays his salary. Hope like hell we don't see that.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Add me to the list of doubting Alex has a knee injury.

I doubt his gm would have called him out as lazy and undedicated if he were hurt.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
If it's something he can play on and not aggravate, I don't think it says anything. If it's something that carries major risk...

Old
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
He probably doesn't need major surgery. Maybe that's the alcohol / lost in relaying the story factor. We will probably randomly hear a little blurb later this summer that he had his knee scoped, or "cleaned up".

Alan is still a fixture in all the local bars, just like he was as a player. Alan you are awesome, thanks for another great year.

Closed Thread