HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You boiled it down to '$7 mil for 20 goals doesn't keep you around long.' If you had more to say you should have said it.

And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him. And Semin + Ribeiro - Crabb = under the cap.

So you tell me which is better for the team, Semin or Crabb +$6 mil in unused cap space...?
I would have preferred McPhee get another top 6 forward. I think we all feel that way. Like I said, you're a bright boy. I don't need to spoon feed you in every post. I said what I had to say and everyone else understood it but you apparently.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 01:26 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him.
For now...

Old
02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
For now...
Apparently...

Semin has won over teammates in Carolina

Old
02-15-2013, 10:26 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Pretty much in line with what all his supporters thought when he was here.

He is just not the type of player that can flourish in a trapping system which BB at the end and Hunter had.

He'd be excellent on our team right now however.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:39 AM
tycoonheart

But Semin did play well under those systems. He got a bad rap here, and it was all Bruce's doing. He didn't know how to handle Semin, plain and simple. Randomly benching him wasn't the solution. And the rest of his team mates bought into what Bruce was selling about Semin. Thats all that was needed for people to think he was somehow lazy and that he didn't give a ****. What a load of crap.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:13 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
But Semin did play well under those systems. He got a bad rap here, and it was all Bruce's doing. He didn't know how to handle Semin, plain and simple. Randomly benching him wasn't the solution. And the rest of his team mates bought into what Bruce was selling about Semin. Thats all that was needed for people to think he was somehow lazy and that he didn't give a ****. What a load of crap.
I think JP or someone did an article. From the time Bruce went to the trap up until the end of the season with Hunter Semin's production took a HUGE dip. Fpund it:

http://www.japersrink.com/2011/12/19...n-and-the-trap

Remember he was our leading goal scorer when Bruce put the trap in. For the rest of that year he may have had 7 or 8 goals.

If Bruce couldn't handle him then neither could Hunter! Semin played even less under Hunter who pretty much hated him it seemed.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
It was not Bruce's doing. If anything his later treatment of Semin might have stemmed from 'listening to voices.' Semin is a person and player macho-ist losers are always going to hate on.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
For now...
Resign Ribeiro amirite?

Old
02-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Pretty much in line with what all his supporters thought when he was here.

He is just not the type of player that can flourish in a trapping system which BB at the end and Hunter had.

He'd be excellent on our team right now however.
He was pretty good in the trapping system too. Very good defensively and still putting up good offensive numbers (when you apply the trapping normalization factor that halved everyone else's stats as well).

He'd never be "excellent" on our team because any positive contribution would just be chalked up to a hot streak, and any cold streak (because no gritty canadian or swede has ever gone on one, god forbid) would be chalked up to him being a cancer who doesn't hit people because he hates his own team.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
g00n
abides

Honeymoons are nice

Old
02-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Apparently for his board battle prowess

Quote:
"He's got a ton of size and reach and strength along the wall and just that thinking level of an elite player and, for me, he's been a lot of fun to play with. He's really opened the ice up and hopefully we continue to get better and help our team win games."

Old
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He was pretty good in the trapping system too. Very good defensively and still putting up good offensive numbers (when you apply the trapping normalization factor that halved everyone else's stats as well).

He'd never be "excellent" on our team because any positive contribution would just be chalked up to a hot streak, and any cold streak (because no gritty canadian or swede has ever gone on one, god forbid) would be chalked up to him being a cancer who doesn't hit people because he hates his own team.
While I do agree with the 2nd half of your statement (seeing as how fans and media were so sour with him the last couple years) as the Japersrink article stated Semin was very hurt by the trap. His numbers in it were comprable to Chimera's.

Oates has opened it up and I am very happy about that. It was excrutiating watching Hunter Hockey and I was very vocal about my dissapproval of that style.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Apparently for his board battle prowess
Staal and Muller are quoted 3 times in that article calling him an elite player or an elite talent. That is why he is so valued there but it was so easily forgotten by so many here. Now this team is crying out for another player with elite talent sadly...

Old
02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Yeah, someone call me when Carolina makes the playoffs and then let me know how things are going.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Yeah, someone call me when Carolina makes the playoffs and then let me know how things are going.
At this point they're the #3 seed in the East.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
At this point they're the #3 seed in the East.
He means get back to him about Semin's play once he's played in the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
He means get back to him about Semin's play once he's played in the playoffs.
Broken Record. Semin was NOT why we lost the series we have lost. Plain and simple. 34pts in 51 games, but 4 and 14 are from Hunter Hockey last year (average games were 2-1). 30pts in 37 games before then. Yes---thats disappearing, I guess?

The haters just want to hate.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Broken Record. Semin was NOT why we lost the series we have lost. Plain and simple. 34pts in 51 games, but 4 and 14 are from Hunter Hockey last year (average games were 2-1). 30pts in 37 games before then. Yes---thats disappearing, I guess?

The haters just want to hate.
And you can even subtract the series where we got Halaked ..no one suffered more than Semin. 44 shots and 0 goals?

To this day that was THE best 7 game goaltending performance I personally have ever seen from a goalie. He faced a ton of shots and high quality scoring chances coming off the sticks of snipers up and down the lineup.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
While I do agree with the 2nd half of your statement (seeing as how fans and media were so sour with him the last couple years) as the Japersrink article stated Semin was very hurt by the trap. His numbers in it were comprable to Chimera's.

Oates has opened it up and I am very happy about that. It was excrutiating watching Hunter Hockey and I was very vocal about my dissapproval of that style.
He was still our 2nd highest scorer (3rd highest were Backstrom healthy). He did this with Perreault and Chimera, who while having a career year still benefited from Semin. Grinding hockey doesn't mesh with his offensive style as much as with, say, Chimera's, but he can still make plays when they are there and he is still useful. And he was excellent defensively as much as the company liners want to sweep it under the rug.

If someone wants to statsturbate a bit I'm sure the advanced stats would show the team benefiting massively with him on the ice under Hunter.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
And you can even subtract the series where we got Halaked ..no one suffered more than Semin. 44 shots and 0 goals?

To this day that was THE best 7 game goaltending performance I personally have ever seen from a goalie. He faced a ton of shots and high quality scoring chances coming off the sticks of snipers up and down the lineup.
Agreed on all fronts.

And....If this team had Semin now, we would be a lot more dangerous (minus the aforementioned Crabb...heck, and minus Wolski too).

Imagine Semin on a line with Back/Laich or Ribs/Ovy. Brouwer has the other top 6 W.
28-9-8
21-19-20
42-85-16
26-83-25/90

I'd be very happy with that. Very.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:

How can it be a great 7 game goaltending performance if Halak only played 5 1/2 games?

Halak was pulled halfway through game 3, and Price started game 4. Remember Ovechkin's comments about Halak's hand shaking, and how they had beaten him mentally? It was really only the last three games of the series that Halak became superman. That's when it all went to ****.

Semin rang so many pipes in that series...

Old
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
um

Quote:

i think there management is a little smarter than ours, we have no right to brag

Old
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
txpd

all i know is the whining and crying around here had mcphee signed semin to another contract would have been unbearable. i wanted to keep him but was content to see him go just so the semin haters would shut up.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
bgroban

Don't worry. Sasha will be back... as a coach within the organization in 15 years.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Don't worry. Sasha will be back... as a coach within the organization in 15 years.
Team psychologist.

Closed Thread