HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
When did Eric Staal's opinion start meaning something, but honestly, Who wouldn't want a skilled guy on their wing? It's clear how the Caps felt. $7 mil for 20g was bad business.

Get over it or take issue with the guy who made that and many other questionable decisions...McPhee.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
bacchist

We lost Semin and picked up Ribs. There is no way Semin would be leading the team in points after a dozen games. Get over it.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:55 AM
txpd

i think the point is that while semin was here the caps desperately needed a player like ribs. swapping semin for ribeiro is only lateral movement. i am also not sure that semin wasnt capable of leading the team in scoring. i thought i did the first twenty games or so a season or two ago.

the reason ribeiro is leading the team is because ovechkin and backstrom are not delivering.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think the point is that while semin was here the caps desperately needed a player like ribs. swapping semin for ribeiro is only lateral movement. i am also not sure that semin wasnt capable of leading the team in scoring. i thought i did the first twenty games or so a season or two ago.

the reason ribeiro is leading the team is because ovechkin and backstrom are not delivering.
Did Semin lead the team last year when Backstrom was out and Ovechkin wasn't delivering?

Sure looks like an upgrade in that context.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchist View Post
We lost Semin and picked up Ribs. There is no way Semin would be leading the team in points after a dozen games. Get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Did Semin lead the team last year when Backstrom was out and Ovechkin wasn't delivering?

Sure looks like an upgrade in that context.
BCF I know at least watched games, so I have no explanation for his opinion.

But I have to assume this other guy never watched the Caps before, because there were absolutely years where Ovechkin started slowly and Semin dominated. You don't have to go back very far.

One example: 2008-2009, Ovechkin had 5 points in October in 8 games. Semin had 16 in 9. It's not the only year Semin started way hotter.

02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Not. The. Point.

Did you even read much of this thread?

Semin WITH Ribs, on a line together, is the point.

The GMGM that let Semin go for goose eggs, is the point.

Not creating a culture where your own "homegrown Young Guns" can flourish is the point.

Wallowing around wasting Ovechkins prime years (and Backstrom's!) is the point.

Hiring rookie coach after rookie coach is the point.

Not having a semblance of a PLAN or identity over the past 5 years for this franchise, is the point.

Good Lord!

Old
02-17-2013, 10:02 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
BCF I know at least watched games, so I have no explanation for his opinion.

But I have to assume this other guy never watched the Caps before, because there were absolutely years where Ovechkin started slowly and Semin dominated. You don't have to go back very far.

One example: 2008-2009, Ovechkin had 5 points in October in 8 games. Semin had 16 in 9. It's not the only year Semin started way hotter.
Semin carried the team until Bruce got fired...as I have mentioned repeatedly. With Backstrom out he disappeared.

Given what has happened to all of the young guns I wouldn't have used 2008 to project anything about this year. Imo Ribeiro has been a better player and more important to the team than Semin has in years. You're free to disagree.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:09 AM
bacchist

You should apply for the GM position. Clearly you have a much better idea of how to create a winning franchise. I'm not sure why this thread hasn't resulted in some phone calls with job offers already, frankly. This thread is really deep with clearly superior management skill.

Edit: this is directed at anyone who disagrees with me. Thanks. :-P

Old
02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
You should apply for the GM position. Clearly you have a much better idea of how to create a winning franchise. I'm not sure why this thread hasn't resulted in some phone calls with job offers already, frankly. This thread is really deep with clearly superior management skill.
LOL.

Good one. The "you should be a GM" crack. Nicely played, never seen that one before--

I'm sure you never sit around with people talking about sports teams and what you think would make them better. Thats one of the foundations of sports.

If you dont like it, dont read this stuff, or threads about firing the GM. Its really not that hard a concept to understand....this is a thread about getting a new GM, and WHY, afterall.

Just move on pal.

Edit: this is directed at the poster I was quoting, who joined the boards yesterday. Thanks.

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 02-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Semin's performance is nothing of note. I'm not sure why there's such a big deal being made. He's always had his hot streaks. When he puts together a full season worth of dominant play, then it'll worth talking about.

The inconsistency of his effort and production is why he's no longer in DC.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM
bacchist

Voicing a different opinion is part of that. It's not missing the point to simply disagree with you. I think Ribs is better for the team than Sasha. Better production than Semin would have had at this point this season, and he isn't as much of a liability. Every single game, Semin took a bad penalty or made a poor defensive play, at least once. Ribs can't be exploited the way Sasha was on a consistent basis.

And yes, if you insist on pretending to have a much better grasp on the game, the team, the league, and the practical aspects of being a NHL GM, I will mock you for it. Sorry, bud.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I am not sure how easy it is to define consistent in the NHL

Players play injured, have crap linemates, great linemates. New coaches. Same coach

Quote:
Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton

Alex Semin is +103 including this season & previous 4 seasons. That's 4th best amongst forwards in that time. Sedins & Burrows only better
Is consistent better defined using large sample sizes, or tiny?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Voicing a different opinion is part of that. It's not missing the point to simply disagree with you. I think Ribs is better for the team than Sasha. Better production than Semin would have had at this point this season, and he isn't as much of a liability. Every single game, Semin took a bad penalty or made a poor defensive play, at least once. Ribs can't be exploited the way Sasha was on a consistent basis.

And yes, if you insist on pretending to have a much better grasp on the game, the team, the league, and the practical aspects of being a NHL GM, I will mock you for it. Sorry, bud.
I am not pretending anything. I feel like you are not *reading* things here in this thread, certainly not what I have been writing. Are you just skimming?

Yes---*If* you are asking for a choice between Ribeiro or Semin, *then* I have agreed with everyone here...you take Ribeiro.

However, I.....like many on here....wanted to see Semin WITH Ribeiro. Not in lieu of, but in addition too. They had the money, they chose not too.

Its that choice "not too" that I am PO'd about. Along with the other blunders our GM has brought to the table, of which there are numerous in his 15yr tenure with this team.

Edit-- and the "every single game" stuff by Semin is purely hyperbole, and personal bias on your part. You are making him out to be Tyler Sloan. You dont get to be +103 over the past 4 season by making poor plays "every single game". Not even remotely possible.

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 02-17-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 11:08 AM
bacchist

Schultz led the league in +/- one of those years...

Old
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
bacchist

And if you just take bad penalties, it isn't going to affect your +/-, even if they result in goals.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
And if you just take bad penalties, it isn't going to affect your +/-, even if they result in goals.
Power Play goals have no affect on +/- ..

Old
02-17-2013, 11:18 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
How many goals were scored with Semin in the penalty box over the past 4.5 years? It should be easy enough stat to find to back your theory his pluses are padded.

Thanks, yep plus fiddy one year proves my point, not even one full season can be used to grade consistency.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Schultz led the league in +/- one of those years...
You just dont like Semin. Admit it, thats what this is all about. It's ok, there are many on here that feel the same way you do. Haters gonna hate.

I can see Semin's warts, but I can also see his attributes. For this season, he'd be a helluva lot more helpful to a Cup run **this year** than his replacements Wolski and Crabb.

Not sure how you can refute that.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
ah, so now its the bad penalties every single game...not the poor defensive plays? Poor defensive plays lead to opponents goals...so that would effect +/-, right? So he must not be having one of those every single game if his +/- is 4th best for forwards since 2008.

So...It sounds like you are now saying Semin took a bad penalty every single game? Ok, got it. Now we are getting somewhere.

If you actually look it up, Semin's has no more than 77 PM's in a season since the start of 2007 (he had 90PM's in 2006-07). When he took 77 PM's, he had a major and a misconduct. 15min right there. So lets day 62PM's in minors.

31 total that season, 62 games played. Each season is similar. Semin takes about one penalty every 2 games, give or take. Heck, last season Semin had 28 minors in 77 games....so closer to one every 3 games...and he was also +9.

See where I am going with this?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
bacchist

I said or. Not one or the other.

I like Semin. But Ribs is better for the team... That's my entire point.

Last edited by bacchist: 02-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I said or. Not one or the other.

I like Seminar. But Ribs is better for the team... That's my entire point.
Yes, you said "or". But there is no "or" when its proven that the guy is a top 4 NHL forward in +/-, and best on his team (the Caps). BEST. He's not a defensive liability. Not possible. You need to see that.

No one is refuting that Ribs (a C) is better for the Caps than Semin (a W). I dont see ANYONE refuting that. All things being equal, you want a C before a W.

What many of us are saying is that Caps could have had BOTH. That's the point. Are you disagreeing with that? Can you see that as well here?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
bacchist

Yeah, sure. But we don't. And losing Semin while adding Ribs is a net gain. We come out ahead.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Yeah, sure. But we don't. And losing Semin while adding Ribs is a net gain. We come out ahead.
5-8-1 might say otherwise. More than just one move in a vacuum here (Ribs for Semin).

GMGM sucks, thats the problem. 15 years of overall futility.

Ok, I am done arguing with you.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:17 PM
bacchist

Thank you.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote: