HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2012, 12:37 AM
KevinM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Absolutely not. Of course I get a response like that though; Detroit's amazing drafting is possibly the most common myth among less informed hockey fans. I read something specific written about it, but I can't remember where at this point. It's pretty conclusively the case though. I did a quick search and found this basic information: http://www.topcornerhockey.com/module_1-5yrs.html

Average games played per drafted player:
Last 5 years: Detroit is 28th
Last 7 years: Detroit is 26th
Last 10 years: Detroit is 29th
(Capitals are 12th, 16th, 28th)
That's a terrible measure for determining drafting quality. If you take a look at Detroit's roster the whole team has pretty much been drafted in Detroit and they are clearly with the best in the league in terms of depth. Considering they are cup contenders just about every year and get **** draft picks the notion that they can't draft is laughable.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That's a terrible measure for determining drafting quality. If you take a look at Detroit's roster the whole team has pretty much been drafted in Detroit and they are clearly with the best in the league in terms of depth. Considering they are cup contenders just about every year and get **** draft picks the notion that they can't draft is laughable.
Here's Detroit's roster with when/how the players were acquired.

Franzen (3rd round, 2004) - Datsyuk (6th round, 1998) - Bertuzzi (UFA, 2009)
Filppula (3rd round, 2002) - Zetterberg (7th round, 1999) - Hudler (2nd round, 2002)
Miller (waivers, 2009) - Helm (5th round, 2005) - Cleary (UFA, 2005)
Emmerton (2nd round, 2006) - Abdelkader (2nd round, 2005) - Holmstrom (10th round, 1994)

Lidstrom (3rd round, 1989) - White (UFA, 2011)
Kronwall (1st round, 2000) - Stuart (trade, 2008)
Ericsson (9th round, 2002) - Quincey (trade, 2012)

Howard (2nd round, 2003)
MacDonald (UFA, 2010)

They haven't drafted a serious contributor since Franzen in '04. The fact that none of their 1st round picks in the past 11 drafts are currently with the team is pretty damning as well.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:11 AM
KevinM

They're notorious for not rushing prospects, developing them with the Grand Rapids, and how many opportunities have there really been for their prospects to come up and fill big Top 6 roles? They haven't needed anyone to. I guess their defensive depth was looking shallow after Rafalski retired, but they shored that up by bringing in White and now Quincey. I don't know anything about their last 11 first rounders or what return they got for them, but that is certainly surprising to learn about.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Carlzner

The wings are great at getting mid and late round gems, but let's be honest, they are below average in the first 2 rounds.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

It's hard to draft from the back half. It's also hard to develop a top two line player when you don't really get ice time when you get here.

Both difficulties Detroit faces.

Drafting isn't the end all be all with that club and never has been.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Come on man. You know how bad center depth of Backstrom-Johansson-Laich is. Backstrom was coming off a terrible season. Johansson is a child, has 5 concussions and was coming off a 30 point season. Laich is horrible defensively at the center position and has shown to be a 25-35 even strength point producer; he is criminally overrated.

That's lottery level bad and flat out idiotic to count on. To start the season with that was a gamble, not a reasoned decision.
I don't particularly agree.

Lets look at some center groupings in teams above us.

OTT - at the start of the season they had Spezza (who is glass), Winchester, Smith, Regin and Konopka,

TOR - Connolly (glass), Grabovski, Lombardi (glass), Colborne (prospect), Steckel, Bozak.

PHI - Briere, Schenn, Talbot, Couturier, Rinaldo

NJ - Zajac, Henrique (who no one could have predicted), Zubrus, Josefson, Carter

FLA - Weiss, Goc, Santorelli, Madden and Cullen

WIN - Antropov, Burmistrov (though he plays wing often), Slater and Wellwood

I mean, of those, who are you taking over the Caps middle healthy? I think you could make an argument that 3 or 4 teams out West are similarly poor down the middle and will still make the playoffs.

Maybe if you believe (and I don't) that Backstrom's 100 points was a blip and 65 is the reality, you could make the argument that they're thin down the middle.

Now, yes, they would probably have looked to add an experienced 2nd line center at some point. But I also think they would have hoped (as did happen for a month or so at the start) that Marcus Johansson was going to improve.

I do agree that 2nd line center is an issue that has needed addressing. However, I don't think with Backstrom healthy that it's the deathblow that everyone makes it.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
The run 'n' gun worked by masking the lack of high caliber offensive weapons outside our Young Guns. It made guys like Fleischmann and Laich look like legitimate second line scorers. The problem is, it just doesn't work in the playoffs. Teams are no longer conserving energy, so they'll take the effort to run with you and shut down that style of play. Then those guys where were producing above their level stop producing, and you're left with nothing in the way of offensive production outside the Young Guns again. Without adding significantly to our scoring forward depth, running and gunning won't work in the playoffs.

I think this is McPhee's biggest flaw. He thinks so highly of his players that he overvalues and overestimates them, and then refuses to admit his mistakes until they've become blatantly obvious to even the most casual fan. Sometimes overvaluing you players can workout great, particularly if you can get other GMs to believe you (the Witt trade, or more recently the Varlamov trade), and it keeps you from doing something stupid and impulsive (see Mike Milbury's tenure as a GM). More often though, it bites you in the ass (Flash as the 2C, the Schultz and Laich contracts), and those small mistakes add up. The Caps don't have any Scott Gomez level anchors, but the return they're getting on guys like Ward, Hamrlik, Poti, Schultz, and Erskine is virtually non-existant, and those salaries add up (to 13.63M to be precise, all of which will still be there next year if McPhee can't recognize the waste and get rid of them). In a cap world, those mistakes are a major issue that can cripple a contending team. That's enough room for Parise + Suter right there, but instead it's going to waste.

That's exactly right. Come playoffs McPhee usually has had like 10-20% of the team cap space invested in players that contributed nothing. It's like trying to win with a team with a much lower budget. Ain't gonna happen. It seems like he gives some of his contracts in a vacuum.. if he's aware of the cap effects and risks it seems to be on some very basic, primitive level. And he does seem to overvalue certain players, rarely trades to preserve long term assets, etc.

McPhee has been building the Caps like the Maginot line. Impressive on paper, in line with conservative thinking about how you're supposed to win, but ultimately ineffective and full of pieces that ultimately have zero impact on the actual battles.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Zoidberg Jesus nails it. Especially the part about him thinking too highly of his own players. Overvaluing them in all trade talks, left us with a static stale roster. He nitpicks value in potential deals and bails and forgets the kick in the ass it gives players when they see a GM ship out the slackers to <insert lame city> in a blockbuster. This team has been so ripe for a shakeup after Montreal, he really missed the boat.

I think it would be good to see a clear and concise list, what does George bring the table that warrants keeping him? And of course, what are his pitfalls.

From what I see, polling this board could give a decent evaluation on trades and drafting. You folks are hockey fanatics, hardcore, really. You know your stuff. We don't need him.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
BobRouse

I have to say I find this thread hillarious.

If someone created this 10 years ago (or shortly thereafter) then lets just say the thread (and the poster creating it) wouldn't last long at all.

The EXACT same arguments are being made about George McPhee now as they were then. I find it interesting how views have shifted and the majority are now against him.

I don't want to see the guy fired at all now as I want the Caps to get into the playoffs and make a run. He has a family and he deeply cares about the team. He is (for whatever reason) very well respected in the hockey community.

But if we don't make the playoffs its a 100% chance he is gone at this point. The way things are looking the lynch mob will get its wish...albiet about a decade too late...

Another rebuild and another 5 year plan is in the horizon if he goes

Old
03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
The problem is, it just doesn't work in the playoffs...
And you are basing this very broad statement on what exactly? The fact that the Caps played in 4 playoff series in 3 seasons playing that style?

The problem wasn't the style or lack of secondary scoring. The problem was the defensive and goaltending personnel were not good enough to hold up their end of the bargain.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:38 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And you are basing this very broad statement on what exactly? The fact that the Caps played in 4 playoff series in 3 seasons playing that style?

The problem wasn't the style or lack of secondary scoring. The problem was the defensive and goaltending personnel were not good enough to hold up their end of the bargain.
It's kind of a moot point anyway as this group was unable to execute Bruce's system for 2+ months to start the 2010/11 season. And I sincerely doubt that you could flip a switch and have this group execute a high tempo system again.

4 talented players is not a team. They've proven it multiple times.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

I completely agree with this.

When our young guns were tearing up the league we had guys like Jurcina, Shamo, Pothier(somewhat) , and Schultz as goto players on D. Erskine and Eminger also got some key opportunities. So basically it was Green/Poti and a bunch of depth 5-7 dmen.

We had Huet and Theodore as our vet goalies and were forced to start a rookie in net (a different one at that) in 2 of the last 3 years.

It wasn't the style or the secondary scoring. It was just that our D and G have been either just bad or VERY young.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I completely agree with this.

When our young guns were tearing up the league we had guys like Jurcina, Shamo, Pothier(somewhat) , and Schultz as goto players on D. Erskine and Eminger also got some key opportunities. So basically it was Green/Poti and a bunch of depth 5-7 dmen.

We had Huet and Theodore as our vet goalies and were forced to start a rookie in net (a different one at that) in 2 of the last 3 years.

It wasn't the style or the secondary scoring. It was just that our D and G have been either just bad or VERY young.
So are you saying that had they not switched styles, stayed the course, waited for the young D to mature and acquire a decent G, the team would still be tearing up the league, Ovy would be Ovy, and we'd be poised for a Cup run?

Not agreeing or disagreeing at the moment. Just asking for clarity's sake. It's interesting.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I will expand on the "personnel" not being good enough in the playoffs. Coaching in the playoffs is huge.

I think our goalies were fine. It was more managing of the goalies before and during the playoffs, that sucked. Quick to yank the number 1, hesitant to yank the backup. Really, isn't that backwards? And then last year, hesitant to yank the number 1 because Varly was rusty, which overlooks he was rusty the years before too yet pinch hit just superbly. And ignored Holtby, who had far exceeded expectations.

And about the defense, Bruce needed to recognize that our D needed help. Against Pitt still gets my goose. Green Poti Erskine SMo, completely broken down. All of them. Poti and Erskine could barely skate, but Green was the worst as BB kept him out for his full TOI including PP. I don't think he could even shoot or slash. S1d had a field day. BB needed to recognize all that and cut Green's ice time or replace others.

Or the biggest no brainer, assign a shadow or shutdown line to S1d. It was like a foreign concept for too many years.

George assembled a strong team. It just needed a few tweaks, but of course the window to win with the 4 star formula, is closing.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
So are you saying that had they not switched styles, stayed the course, waited for the young D to mature and acquire a decent G, the team would still be tearing up the league, Ovy would be Ovy, and we'd be poised for a Cup run?

Not agreeing or disagreeing at the moment. Just asking for clarity's sake. It's interesting.
Not really.

You see ...GMGM did not have the required balance. When our young guns were tearing things up he did not go out and get the right D, G and 2nd/3rd C for our team.

Instead..he drafted them...Varly, Neuvy, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov and Johansson. All fine young players with potential to be good down the road...

However..we had a team ready to compete now! We had Chris frikin Pronger RIGHT in our grasp and I am convinced to this day had we pulled the trigger we'd have a couple cups by now.

Instead GMGM (wrongly) assumed that the young guns would keep their insane production long enough to wait for our young D, G and C to develop. At the time I thought this was an absurd strategy as most of those guys needed 5 years to reach the point where they could help.

Our situations were so bad that we FORCED young players into the lineup during playoff time and gave them key roles b/c the other guys we had sucked. Varlamov takes over for Theo..twice..Neuvirth takes over for Varlamov..Johansson in his rookie year is our asked to do too much, Carlson back in the montreal series and Alzner being forced in during game 7.

These reek of panic moves to me.

We had needed a physical top 4 vet stabilizing dman with proven leadership. McPhee chose to pass..one more than one occassion.

At the time I said he will be "wasting Ovechkin's best years"..sadly it seems I was proven right.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I will expand on the "personnel" not being good enough in the playoffs. Coaching in the playoffs is huge.

I think our goalies were fine. It was more managing of the goalies before and during the playoffs, that sucked. Quick to yank the number 1, hesitant to yank the backup. Really, isn't that backwards? And then last year, hesitant to yank the number 1 because Varly was rusty, which overlooks he was rusty the years before too yet pinch hit just superbly. And ignored Holtby, who had far exceeded expectations.

And about the defense, Bruce needed to recognize that our D needed help. Against Pitt still gets my goose. Green Poti Erskine SMo, completely broken down. All of them. Poti and Erskine could barely skate, but Green was the worst as BB kept him out for his full TOI including PP. I don't think he could even shoot or slash. S1d had a field day. BB needed to recognize all that and cut Green's ice time or replace others.

Or the biggest no brainer, assign a shadow or shutdown line to S1d. It was like a foreign concept for too many years.

George assembled a strong team. It just needed a few tweaks, but of course the window to win with the 4 star formula, is closing.
RH

I have to disagree with you here my man.

Our goalies WERE far too young in my mind. Varly broke down in game 7 vs Pitt and in the latter half of that series. Neuvirth was insanely outplayed by Roloson. Theo/Varly outplayed by Halak. Varly hung in with Fluery until game 7.

Against Pitt we were outgunned on the back end. They had Orpik/letang/Gill/Scuderi...Bruce was forced to over use Green b/c the rest of the guys we had flat out sucked.

Sid was a factor in that series. However he was playing a ton. If we "shadowed" him then the ice time for Ovy would go down and he was even more of a monster against Pitt than Crosby was to us.

If we marched Boyd Gordon/Dave Steckel out there for 20+ minutes a game we would surely lose. We HAD no true shutdown 3rd line center ala Bolland who could chip in offensively, provide a gritty element AND play good D. Our guys didn't have that. George assembled "3 scoring lines" and Bruce had to use what he was given.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

@RH
Don't underestimate Boudreau's favoritism. A lot of jokes were made here, but it was a very real thing. Neuvirth joined the favorites club last year and that probably kept him in against the Lightning as much as anything else.

Edit: He played those favorites, I think, because he genuinely believed in them and believed they had potential that they could show when given the opportunity, but it still is what it is.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Anymore I can hardly tell who is sarcastically intentionally posting incorrect information to mock people and who is seriously just that wrong. The list of people I am actually sure know the basic chronology of this team is staggeringly short.
I am curious as to who you are refering too?

Old
03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Not really.

You see ...GMGM did not have the required balance. When our young guns were tearing things up he did not go out and get the right D, G and 2nd/3rd C for our team.

Instead..he drafted them...Varly, Neuvy, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov and Johansson. All fine young players with potential to be good down the road...

However..we had a team ready to compete now! We had Chris frikin Pronger RIGHT in our grasp and I am convinced to this day had we pulled the trigger we'd have a couple cups by now.

Instead GMGM (wrongly) assumed that the young guns would keep their insane production long enough to wait for our young D, G and C to develop. At the time I thought this was an absurd strategy as most of those guys needed 5 years to reach the point where they could help.

Our situations were so bad that we FORCED young players into the lineup during playoff time and gave them key roles b/c the other guys we had sucked. Varlamov takes over for Theo..twice..Neuvirth takes over for Varlamov..Johansson in his rookie year is our asked to do too much, Carlson back in the montreal series and Alzner being forced in during game 7.

These reek of panic moves to me.

We had needed a physical top 4 vet stabilizing dman with proven leadership. McPhee chose to pass..one more than one occassion.

At the time I said he will be "wasting Ovechkin's best years"..sadly it seems I was proven right.
Seems like a fair assessment. The question being where do we go now? That's all in the past.

For the record, Ovy is still very young (26?). He shouldn't be floundering. Can he get back to form? How?

Is the current predicament on GMGM's shoulders? If not what IS the effing problem and how does he fix it? If so, with whom can we possibly replace him?

Is it folly to expect improvement with the core's return to health? I would hope most would think yes. So then what is to be done? Do we blow it up? Do we move one or two key pieces?

This offseason is going to prove to be a very key period for this franchise. If they stick with what has been proven to not work and just cross their fingers I will be dissapointed to say the least. One deffinition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I'd like to see some sanity return to the team I love so much.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I maintain he had an unplayable hand. Not really bad planning per say. Sure, it's nice to have 3 deep at a position of need, but it's not rational. They were 3 deep at the scoring center slot to begin with (Nick, Marcus and Brooks (even if he's a 3rd in all probability)). I don't think you can be three deep in the #1 spot unless you spend 3 top 5 picks on it.

No way you can bet on having 3 of your best players be out of sorts or hurt. Throw into the mix at the deadline the realization that ownership is probably needing the playoff cash. Needing to get people to reup for tickets that are going up in price yet again. Needing a winner in this town.

Getting a new coach. Having Dale come in and be pretty mediocre at best. Bruce worked, why not Dale?

Combined with injuries, and not exactly knowing what you have. If Backstrom can come back next week, it would have looked stupid to sell. If Green regained form (and he's getting better), they're a different team as well. They're a different team completely when those two are in the lineup.

If you sell, and they both come back, you look like a royal idiot.

In a salary cap era, you're going to have holes. You overpaid on Laich, though I maintain it's market rate for his services if you want to keep him. You probably did it because he's one of the guys who most feel is what you want to be (hard worker, two way, dedicated, NA player), so you're probably a bit short at #2 if Johansson doesn't make significant progression this season. Can't really get a #2 center at the deadline either, as there were none really to be had for a fair cost and term.

And yes, there's a witch hunt. There are some who aren't happy with anything in these parts. It's typical of fans in many cities of many sports, but it's funny to watch.
There is a lot here, and some I agree with wholeheartedly, some not. I will stick to what I do not agree with.

Coaches. As I have stated a few times, GMGM got lucky with Bruce, and that was more Bruce's perseverance than GM's acumen. I tend to think "Cassidy and Hanlon" when I think of GM's coaching hires. GM seems to think, but hiring guys with ZERO NHL experience, that he knows something more than everyone else, and that he's unearthing the next great thing. Well, he was 1 for 3 *before* Dale, and signs are now that he's 1 for 4.

Its not a witch hunt for me, but a real move towards an organizational shift in philosophies. I want a team attitude that is not so "comfortable" with what they are...one that is driven to be better. I dont see it with GM's core players, and he has NEVER shown a capacity to change up *HIS CORE*.

Frankly to me, GMGM stays, its more of the same. Its been a fun regular season 3 yr run, but we as Caps fans need the brass ring, and this current group will not attain it without an attitude shift, and that will need to come from outside.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
RH

I have to disagree with you here my man.
A few follow up rebuttles:

Theo was the #1 both years, but was never treated as such in the playoffs. If BB didn't trust him, he needed to groom the kids much more than he did in the RS. He was ready to haunt in Montreal for game 6 especially, or 7. Against Pitt, everyone saw Varly's magical ride coming to an end. Yes it was hard to yank him, but it was easy to see him breaking down.

I think Jurcina and Pothier were our best defensemen versus Pitt. Not even close, actually. And both even scored goals. Yet I would be surprised if they ever got a single shift on PP1. Green was horrible in that series.

Agree Bruce was forced into 3 scoring lines, but it was solely because of Flash. I can pin that on George somewhat, but feel they could have scratched him and gone with a checking line again. Remember the one that came out of no where, and won for us in OT? I can't remember who we could have rotated in for Flash though.

But assigning a shadow didn't have to happen an entire game, maybe just the first in game 7 vs Pitt, or late in game 6. Make Pitt adjust to something, even if we abandon it! Say until we got a lead one game. Dare I suggest Boyd getting a lot more faceoffs may have helped. I am afraid to see what Nick pulled in that Pitt series.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Seems like a fair assessment. The question being where do we go now? That's all in the past.

For the record, Ovy is still very young (26?). He shouldn't be floundering. Can he get back to form? How?

Is the current predicament on GMGM's shoulders? If not what IS the effing problem and how does he fix it? If so, with whom can we possibly replace him?

Is it folly to expect improvement with the core's return to health? I would hope most would think yes. So then what is to be done? Do we blow it up? Do we move one or two key pieces?

This offseason is going to prove to be a very key period for this franchise. If they stick with what has been proven to not work and just cross their fingers I will be dissapointed to say the least. One deffinition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I'd like to see some sanity return to the team I love so much.
I'm in the minority here in that I like our young core still and think the problem mainly has been what has been placed around them.

Personally I'd like to see us make the playoffs, make a run and have GMGM and DH back for another year. Thats ideal but maybe not realistic at this point.

If we miss the playoffs then we will get a new GM. Hopefully this one will be a proven winner that has a cup ring. My vote goes to Neil Smith.

As far as the core being blown up..well it seems that Semin will go for sure and Ovechkin will stay for sure. Backstrom will stay for reasons beyond health. That leaves Green and I hope we keep him.

I think we need to get rid of guys like Hamr and Ward. Poti's stupid contract won't expire til after next year I think so we are stuck with that. Schultz seems to have leveled off so he'd be a candidate to go unless he shows something.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I have to say I find this thread hillarious.

If someone created this 10 years ago (or shortly thereafter) then lets just say the thread (and the poster creating it) wouldn't last long at all.

The EXACT same arguments are being made about George McPhee now as they were then. I find it interesting how views have shifted and the majority are now against him.

I don't want to see the guy fired at all now as I want the Caps to get into the playoffs and make a run. He has a family and he deeply cares about the team. He is (for whatever reason) very well respected in the hockey community.

But if we don't make the playoffs its a 100% chance he is gone at this point. The way things are looking the lynch mob will get its wish...albiet about a decade too late...

Another rebuild and another 5 year plan is in the horizon if he goes
I wanted him out back then. I do remember arguing with you in 1999, 2000, and 2001 about keeping him and Wilson. I was certainly a Wilson apologist back then.

I wanted GMGM gone for his Cassidy choices, and his defensive choices on that offensively laden team. I didnt want him to do the sell off and the rebuild.

I was wrong about his abilities with the rebuild, he was good (though to be fair, having that many 1st round picks was a huge boon to it, but I digress). I thought he should then have a chance to see this through....see the fruits of his labours.

Well, this is the fruits of his labours, and its apparent to me the Caps need an outside voice and vision. Something new and different. Let someone else determine whats good and bad with this roster, react accordingly, and hire a new coach.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
A few follow up rebuttles:

Theo was the #1 both years, but was never treated as such in the playoffs. If BB didn't trust him, he needed to groom the kids much more than he did in the RS. He was ready to haunt in Montreal for game 6 especially, or 7. Against Pitt, everyone saw Varly's magical ride coming to an end. Yes it was hard to yank him, but it was easy to see him breaking down.

I think Jurcina and Pothier were our best defensemen versus Pitt. Not even close, actually. And both even scored goals. Yet I would be surprised if they ever got a single shift on PP1. Green was horrible in that series.

Agree Bruce was forced into 3 scoring lines, but it was solely because of Flash. I can pin that on George somewhat, but feel they could have scratched him and gone with a checking line again. Remember the one that came out of no where, and won for us in OT? I can't remember who we could have rotated in for Flash though.

But assigning a shadow didn't have to happen an entire game, maybe just the first in game 7 vs Pitt, or late in game 6. Make Pitt adjust to something, even if we abandon it! Say until we got a lead one game. Dare I suggest Boyd getting a lot more faceoffs may have helped. I am afraid to see what Nick pulled in that Pitt series.
To rebutt your rebuttal

OK sure Theo was the #1..but who gave this situation to Bruce? We all knew Theodore was not the one to take us to the promised land. But he played well enough in the regular season (in his 2nd year) that BB really had to give him a shot. Theo choked.

Jurcina and Pothier may have been one of our better D..but what does that say? Also Green and Schultz were out against their top line whereas Juice and Pothier were shielded from Pitts top players.

If I recall Bruce did bench Flash eventually. I think vs Pitt and Monty. But really the depth in our bottom 6 was pretty brutal. We didn't have any good checking players to use. Bradley, Steckel, Gordon, Brash etc are all 4th liners and only a couple decent defenders. We haven't had a true 3rd line since Kono/Dahlen/Halpern.

This year we have Laich playing in that role. Laich is a 2nd line winger not a 3rd line center. Then we have Chimera and Ward...two guys who have always had questions in their own end. That is not a checking line in my book but at least they tried this year.

I personally LOVED the way BB (again I maybe in the minority) put his 1st line out there for 20-25 minutes a game and dared the other team to get into a race with them. He did match up D pairings to opponents top lines but really he had very little to work with. We had exactly ZERO physical shutdown Dmen who could play in a top 4 capacity and haven't had once since Tinordi retired.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I wanted him out back then. I do remember arguing with you in 1999, 2000, and 2001 about keeping him and Wilson. I was certainly a Wilson apologist back then.

I wanted GMGM gone for his Cassidy choices, and his defensive choices on that offensively laden team. I didnt want him to do the sell off and the rebuild.

I was wrong about his abilities with the rebuild, he was good (though to be fair, having that many 1st round picks was a huge boon to it, but I digress). I thought he should then have a chance to see this through....see the fruits of his labours.

Well, this is the fruits of his labours, and its apparent to me the Caps need an outside voice and vision. Something new and different. Let someone else determine whats good and bad with this roster, react accordingly, and hire a new coach.
Yeah back then I blamed things more on Wilson than GMGM who I was neutral towards. But I really came down on him after Wilson left for a variety of reasons. The Cassidy and Jagr situations, if I recall, seem to have Ted's paw prints on them. Ted was the one "blown away" by Cassidy and the one who pulled the trigger on Jagr (whom GMGM didn't want).

I personally didn't want GMGM's hands on the rebuild and said as much (perhaps sometimes a bit too strongly) then.

Remember..at the time we were a terrible drafting team and the pinnacle was in the 2003 draft when we could have had Getzlaf, Richards or other strong players but decided to go off the board and scoop up Eric Fehr. I was pretty furious about that.

But to be fair..we have been one of the best drafting teams post lockout. I have heard that much of this was due to the increase in scouting budget we had during lockout.

I like the vision the Caps have of stockpiling picks and prospects and always churning them out.

I was dissappointed that they didn't unload their UFAs this year and restock the system this summer in one draft.

Closed Thread