HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2012, 03:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
I understand the Memphis Grizzlies are unlikely to move in the near term. Nevertheless, it would be sweet justice for Vancouverites to have that franchise in particular become the new Sonics.

Perhaps it would also provide Steve Nash an opportunity to play his final years close to home. Had he been drafted by the Grizz way back when, perhaps the franchise would have never left Vancouver in the first place.

03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yup, the events in Sacramento (new arena deal) and New Orleans (successful ticket drive + potential new lease) does hurt Seattle's chances significantly, as they were really the only two teams being talked about as relocation potential in the next year or so.

If those two teams get locked down for the long haul, which looks to be a sure thing for the Kings but I'm still not convinced yet for the Hornets, that really only leaves the Grizzlies and Bucks as potential relocation candidates in the NBA, and even they're probably about 5-10 years away from seriously contemplating that.
Provided an arena is constructed in the mean time, that can be good news for those who thought the NHL should attempt to enter the Seattle market before the NBA. Of course Hansen wants a team before a building, so being patient would seem to translate into an unconstructed arena for the short term.

Old
03-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Vinc360

Still nothing new regarding Seattle? I'm guessing this means their chances of getting the Coyotes this summer are next to zero....

Old
03-17-2012, 08:34 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc360 View Post
Still nothing new regarding Seattle? I'm guessing this means their chances of getting the Coyotes this summer are next to zero....
Since the League technically owns the Coyotes, news about the Coyotes moving anywhere will likely come from the League first.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 03-18-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
For Seattle to build an arena they need a lease signed from an NHL AND a NBA team. As I see it, it's dead for now.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Vinc360

Ok, well with them pretty much officially out of the picture (I think so as well, I was just checking to see if there were new developments regarding their arena).

Old
03-17-2012, 11:21 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Since the League technically owns the Coyotes, and news about the Coyotes moving anywhere will likely come from the League first.
Bettman seems to be very committed to the City of Glendale at this point, I don't think the Coyotes are going anywhere this summer.

The Seattle Times has a "latest developments" page regarding the arena, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/fla...anhlarena.html. No real new developments, just going through the political process.

I wouldn't say the project is "dead", however Hansen is sited in his willingness to be patient. It would be interesting to see if Hansen changes his position of no construction until both teams are obtained, especially since both leagues prefer an arena BEFORE they grant franchises through either relocation or expansion.

Old
03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
For Seattle to build an arena they need a lease signed from an NHL AND a NBA team. As I see it, it's dead for now.
That's not true. Hansen has said they could get the process of building the arena started with only one team committed but eventually want 2 for the long term viability of the arena.

Hansen said that a commitment from an NHL and NBA team to move to Seattle might not be needed to start construction on land in Seattle's SoDo neighborhood. Noting that construction would take a number of years, he said it's important for Seattle get started now.

"I think we have to be ready at the times the franchise opportunities present themselves to act," said Hansen.

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Chri...141822793.html

However, the chances of the Coyotes relocating to Seattle for next season are slim, IMO.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Stop with the misinformation please

Hansen has stated that it would be impossible to get 2 teams at the exact same time.

Is there a reason why the quebec and Phoenix threads are pinned and not Seattle?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:14 PM
jcme262

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Stop with the misinformation please

Hansen has stated that it would be impossible to get 2 teams at the exact same time.

Is there a reason why the quebec and Phoenix threads are pinned and not Seattle?
yeah, no kidding. somebody wants a team and somebody doesn't want to lose one.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
maruk14

Bill Daly on Canadian radio talking about Phoenix situation. Interesting comments about Seattle during the interview.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...03-20-6-pm.mp3

You have to skip ahead about 1/4 way through to get to where he talks about Seattle.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Vinc360

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Bill Daly on Canadian radio talking about Phoenix situation. Interesting comments about Seattle during the interview.

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...03-20-6-pm.mp3

You have to skip ahead about 1/4 way through to get to where he talks about Seattle.
From the sound of it, Seattle would be the leading candidate if the arena was approved. If they get the arena approved on time, I think it's pretty clear that the league would choose Seattle just from the tone of this interview. However, he does seem to think of QC as a very attractive option and, for now, I think it's clear that QC is the leading candidate.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
If they get the arena approved on time, I think it's pretty clear that the league would choose Seattle just from the tone of this interview.
I can't listen to the interview right now - do others agree with the above observation? Not talking about "logic", talking about the "tone of this interview".

Old
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Vinc360

I think the key information you can get from the interview is that it sounds like the NHL is very interested in Seattle, but they understand that it'd be hard to make it happen next year, so they'll go with Quebec for the immediate situation.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
maruk14

I think anyone wanting a team in QC will hear what they want and anyone wanting a team in Seattle will hear what they want.

Having said that - the interview was on Canadian radio so the questions were sort of slanted towards QC - Daly could have been pushing Seattle to provide balance (and maintain leverage with cities so as not to tip his hand). As always, you have to take them with a grain of salt.

From my (Seattle) perspective, it sounded positive for the NHL in Seattle.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
maruk14

Quote:
From the sound of it, Seattle would be the leading candidate if the arena was approved. If they get the arena approved on time, I think it's pretty clear that the league would choose Seattle just from the tone of this interview. However, he does seem to think of QC as a very attractive option and, for now, I think it's clear that QC is the leading candidate.
My best guess is by the middle of the decade both cities have teams.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Vinc360

Quote:
My best guess is by the middle of the decade both cities have teams.
That would be my guess as well.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Northender

Quote:
I didn't get that sense at all. I think if there was even a glimmer of hope the Coyotes could be relocated to Seattle in Sept. Daly wopuld have been far more enthusiastic about it. I found his tone to be luke warm at best with respect to Seattle.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
I didn't get that sense at all. I think if there was even a glimmer of hope the Coyotes could be relocated to Seattle in Sept. Daly wopuld have been far more enthusiastic about it. I found his tone to be luke warm at best with respect to Seattle.
I heard the same thing. The big "sigh" at 13:39 and his generally less enthusiastic voice after that actually surprised me. I thought he'd play the cities against each other at least a bit more then he did.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Vinc360

Interesting point of view, I heard him put the colisee in the same basket as the key arena and mention that the key arena would be great too when McCown asked if Quebec's Colisee would be a good alternative option if the Coyotes were to move.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
maruk14

My point about people hearing what they want to hear laid out beautifully in the preceding posts ...

Old
03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Vinc360

Quote:
My point about people hearing what they want to hear laid out beautifully in the preceding posts ...
Not necessarily, I really want the Nordiques to come back next year.

Old
03-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
He's mad about the arena crap. I don't blame him. NHL is not happy that QC is their only option. Seattle just is not ready at this point.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Not necessarily, I really want the Nordiques to come back next year.
Ok - you being the exception.

One other note as this thing starts to gain steam. 2 big things are QC breaking ground on the new arena. If (or when) that happens it will be very tough for the NHL to turn them down with all other things being equal. Wasn't there a 3/31 deadline to pick a new site?

The second, and in my opinion a big one in Seattle's favor, is conference alignment. QC in the West is a disaster. I am sure the NHLPA would have a say ... how do you even begin to schedule that. If you are Vancouver and you are on your west coast swing you go San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Quebec City? Ouch.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Material Defender

Quote:
(...) One other note as this thing starts to gain steam. 2 big things are QC breaking ground on the new arena. If (or when) that happens it will be very tough for the NHL to turn them down with all other things being equal. Wasn't there a 3/31 deadline to pick a new site? (...)
Yep. The Mayor also said, a few days ago, an announcement could even be made earlier... Stay tuned!

Closed Thread