HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ coach next year

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 06:51 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Hopefully Howson is gone day after season ends.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I'm starting to think that even JPMac can't be so blind to the direness of the situation and that Howson and Richards will be gone in the summer.
It can't be very comfortable being a North American laughingstock. Ownership must hear and read what's being said about it all over Canada and the US, so it's hard to believe Howson and Richards will return. Not impossible, of course, we've seen that this franchise is capable of staggering stupidity. Only blind loyalty or overweening ego can possibly explain retaining the authors of such embarrassment.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

3 weeks ago I think this is Richards' Job to lose, coming off 4 straight wins in early March. I think the chances he gets it now are significantly less. Terrible efforts in Edmonton, against Chicago, and the back to back Edmonton and Detroit games.

Old
03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
It can't be very comfortable being a North American laughingstock. Ownership must hear and read what's being said about it all over Canada and the US, so it's hard to believe Howson and Richards will return. Not impossible, of course, we've seen that this franchise is capable of staggering stupidity. Only blind loyalty or overweening ego can possibly explain retaining the authors of such embarrassment.
Honestly I don't think JPMac cares. I think he is probably cursing his Dad for sticking him with this POS team. IMO I don't think he wants to get involved nor does he want to sell the team. JPMac likes Priest; Priest likes Howson; Howson likes Richards...

The sad thing is I'm not sure we've hit rock bottom yet. Next year will not be any different.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
Honestly I don't think JPMac cares. I think he is probably cursing his Dad for sticking him with this POS team. IMO I don't think he wants to get involved nor does he want to sell the team. JPMac likes Priest; Priest likes Howson; Howson likes Richards...

The sad thing is I'm not sure we've hit rock bottom yet. Next year will not be any different.
You certainly could be right, but I now have a hard time believing it. Those who have said signs point to another year for Howson, and I've been one of them, may be forced to change our minds. Rich guys don't like getting laughed at any more than us poor schmucks do, and when it's happening from coast to coast, from their front door to the far reaches of the Yukon, it can't be all that easy to ignore. Maybe if he was making mountains of money from the team, he could retreat to his vault and count coins to quiet the laughter ringing in his ears; but he's losing millions. That can't be much fun, either! The McConnell family has a wonderful reputation for loyalty and perseverance, but they've also been very successful business people. In my opinion, loyalty may finally be running out. The chorus of laughter and ridicule being heaped on the CBJ may finally have reached the towers of power. At least, we can hope so!

Old
03-28-2012, 08:32 AM
BoomerBacker74

Quote:
You certainly could be right, but I now have a hard time believing it. Those who have said signs point to another year for Howson, and I've been one of them, may be forced to change our minds. Rich guys don't like getting laughed at any more than us poor schmucks do, and when it's happening from coast to coast, from their front door to the far reaches of the Yukon, it can't be all that easy to ignore. Maybe if he was making mountains of money from the team, he could retreat to his vault and count coins to quiet the laughter ringing in his ears; but he's losing millions. That can't be much fun, either! The McConnell family has a wonderful reputation for loyalty and perseverance, but they've also been very successful business people. In my opinion, loyalty may finally be running out. The chorus of laughter and ridicule being heaped on the CBJ may finally have reached the towers of power. At least, we can hope so!
I hope this is true and that JPM wakes up and has a great epiphany to clean house, but based on what he has done so far.....I think it's going to be more of the status quo (which has helped keep my liquor store in buisness the past couple of years )

Old
03-28-2012, 08:46 AM
DoggyII

I think CBJ Bob is right, JPMac doesn't care but likes Priest who likes Howson who likes Richards...

I am going to throw a name out there...one I think would be intriguing but no way Howson would hire because I think he would scare him. Bob Hartley. I know his tenure in Atlanta was um...how should I say this..."disappointing" but sometimes a coach isn't a good fit for one organization but is a good fit for another. Some here say we need a tougher coach and I think Hartley is known as a tougher coach and he won an awful lot of games in Colorado.

Opinions?

Old
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
I think CBJ Bob is right, JPMac doesn't care but likes Priest who likes Howson who likes Richards...

I am going to throw a name out there...one I think would be intriguing but no way Howson would hire because I think he would scare him. Bob Hartley. I know his tenure in Atlanta was um...how should I say this..."disappointing" but sometimes a coach isn't a good fit for one organization but is a good fit for another. Some here say we need a tougher coach and I think Hartley is known as a tougher coach and he won an awful lot of games in Colorado.

Opinions?
Sign me up!

Old
03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Matt

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to coach this bunch of bozos Howson has assembled. Ain't no way he could succeed

Old
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Sign me up!

I think this guy would have more success:

Old
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Let's hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I don't think so. On top of that we'll pick second at the draft and the return for Nash will be less than we all think. Next year may be worse; not 72/73 NYI bad but...

Old
03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

I think he cares enough for now to perserve a legacy, but thats about it. And that may carry his majority ownership for some time longer, but eventually, I think he's just not emotionally invested enough to keep it longterm as the majority owner. I don't think Mac Jr. reads anything about what the pundits and critics say at all, I think it just never makes it to his desk and he doesn't go out of his way to find anything out about what others are saying. I think the interview with Portzline just before the protest was his first taste of what the media is saying about the organization. I've said it before that his months-long silence on the franchise following his father's passing didn't bode well for the future of the franchise.

You are right about one thing for sure, its not even up for debate that he has no desire to personally have to get more involved than he already is. Its not necessarily a bad thing whenever this happens, but in the case of this team, where you have wholly trusted architects building off no blueprints and no experience, its a receipe for disaster.

If Richards retains the job, it tells me the CBJ is going to head into full on "rebuild" mode. I'd expect perhaps a bit better results next season, but no where near playoff caliber. I'm not sure how easy it would be to sell an experienced coach to come into this situation with a full on rebuild on....

Its a risk, certainly, especially with the ASG coming here next season. Perhaps they are counting on C-bus fans stuffing the ballot box for someone who would otherwise be undeserving of a nod?

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-28-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
I think this guy would have more success:

How about Chef Gordon Ramsey?

Old
03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think he cares enough for now to perserve a legacy, but thats about it. And that may carry his majority ownership for some time longer, but eventually, I think he's just not emotionally invested enough to keep it longterm as the majority owner. I don't think Mac Jr. reads anything about what the pundits and critics say at all, I think it just never makes it to his desk and he doesn't go out of his way to find anything out about what others are saying. I think the interview with Portzline just before the protest was his first taste of what the media is saying about the organization. I've said it before that his months-long silence on the franchise following his father's passing didn't bode well for the future of the franchise.
One of our own posted that he sees JPMac at every game, even though he doesn't make a show of his presence. I have a hard time believing that someone who is that invested, personally and financially, doesn't read hockey reporting or watch the TV analysts discuss his team. I think he knows what is being written and said, but has still remained loyal to Priest and Howson. Actually, that is much more damning than believing he's unaware of the way he and his organization are being perceived. My question at this point, then, is: has he had enough? We certainly have. Can he be so loyal (or stubborn), to disregard all common wisdom and go into another season with the current management intact? Until recently, I though he might just be that obtuse and stubborn. Now, I think the reality of the situation may finally reach him. The noise around the league and among knowledgeble hockey people may, at last, have gotten too loud to ignore. Truthfully, there really have been no sign of that, to date, so perhaps I'm giving him more credit than due. I hope I'm not just fooling myself.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
One of our own posted that he sees JPMac at every game, even though he doesn't make a show of his presence. I have a hard time believing that someone who is that invested, personally and financially, doesn't read hockey reporting or watch the TV analysts discuss his team. I think he knows what is being written and said, but has still remained loyal to Priest and Howson. Actually, that is much more damning than believing he's unaware of the way he and his organization are being perceived. My question at this point, then, is: has he had enough? We certainly have. Can he be so loyal (or stubborn), to disregard all common wisdom and go into another season with the current management intact? Until recently, I though he might just be that obtuse and stubborn. Now, I think the reality of the situation may finally reach him. The noise around the league and among knowledgeble hockey people may, at last, have gotten too loud to ignore. Truthfully, there really have been no sign of that, to date, so perhaps I'm giving him more credit than due. I hope I'm not just fooling myself.
None of us know what his thought processes are. One would think at the CBJ owners meeting some of the minority owners voiced their objections to Management. I'm not sure who from the Jackets attends the NHL/BOG meetings but if it's JPM one would think some of the other owners must have pulled him aside and given him some advice. Everybody has limits to their patiance and loyalty; I don't think he's reached his yet or if he has he doesn't know what to do. Also firing people and going through a search for a replacement isn't fun IMO; he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. Unfortunately I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
I do see JPMac in his box almost every game. The fact that he isn't semi-retired, and living in Fla, like JHM was means that he is usually in town running the family businesses.

Many "experts" believe that firing a GM before the trade deadline is not a good idea. My hope is that that is what JPMac was advised and that Howson is fired after the season is over.

Family pet Priest is a different story. I would like to see him limited to the business side of things with no voice in the day to day hockey operations. They can then hire a hockey guy to run the hockey ops.

As far as the coach goes, I am still holding out hope that it won't be Howson doing that hiring.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
None of us know what his thought processes are. One would think at the CBJ owners meeting some of the minority owners voiced their objections to Management. I'm not sure who from the Jackets attends the NHL/BOG meetings but if it's JPM one would think some of the other owners must have pulled him aside and given him some advice. Everybody has limits to their patiance and loyalty; I don't think he's reached his yet or if he has he doesn't know what to do. Also firing people and going through a search for a replacement isn't fun IMO; he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. Unfortunately I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet.
Yep.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
This is where I'm at too. If it is wishful thinking or not, time will tell. But it seems like the totality of events/reaction/criticism of the last two months would be way too much to ignore.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
This is where I'm at too. If it is wishful thinking or not, time will tell. But it seems like the totality of events/reaction/criticism of the last two months would be way too much to ignore.
Agreed except we don't necessarily know that not doing whatever-it-is means that something's being ignored.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:10 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Agreed except we don't necessarily know that not doing whatever-it-is means that something's being ignored.
Wrong.

He's a nut-less idiot who has buried his head in the sand.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
3 weeks ago I think this is Richards' Job to lose, coming off 4 straight wins in early March. I think the chances he gets it now are significantly less. Terrible efforts in Edmonton, against Chicago, and the back to back Edmonton and Detroit games.
I agree, but there's some questions as to why the team isn't showing up. The coach has some responsibility. There have been injuries. But some players also seem affected by a version of senioritis (nonplayoffitis?). They're minds are on the golf course and the season is already over for them. This may have already been impacting some players in November.

Richards seemed to be doing an adequate job with a full team. We'll have to see what he does when trying to motivate slackers and AHLers.

Also, the way he handles rookies also should be a major factor. Johansen has regressed, Atkinson shows flashes but hasn't been producing, Moore has slightly regressed and Savard has been stepping up. I don't care if he's benching them when needed, but the Jackets need a coach that can turn the prospects into top NHL players if they're going to potentially have Yakupov next season. It's not win at all costs and sacrifice the youngsters.

I wouldn't be against bringing back Richards next season if there aren't any better candidates. But in Springfield, I want an experienced coach who can help prepare the prospects for the NHL (and could step up as the next coach).

Old
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I wouldn't be against bringing back Richards next season if there aren't any better candidates.
Can it be possible that there are no better candidates? That's frightening! No, I won't believe that, it's more important to me that Richards be fired than Priest be relieved of his duties. The man behind the bench must have a major role in changing the losing culture here. Look what happened in St. Louis when they got the right match of style and personnel. Whether Hitch was right for the Jackets is no longer important, but finding someone who can do for us what he did for them is vital. I don't believe that man is Richards, I don't think he's done enough to warrant being named permanent coach, and I don't see how a "New CBJ" can be sold to the public with him behind the bench.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfanwest View Post
i agree, but there's some questions as to why the team isn't showing up. The coach has some responsibility. There have been injuries. But some players also seem affected by a version of senioritis (nonplayoffitis?). They're minds are on the golf course and the season is already over for them. This may have already been impacting some players in november.

Richards seemed to be doing an adequate job with a full team. We'll have to see what he does when trying to motivate slackers and ahlers.

Also, the way he handles rookies also should be a major factor. Johansen has regressed, atkinson shows flashes but hasn't been producing, moore has slightly regressed and savard has been stepping up. I don't care if he's benching them when needed, but the jackets need a coach that can turn the prospects into top nhl players if they're going to potentially have yakupov next season. It's not win at all costs and sacrifice the youngsters.

I wouldn't be against bringing back richards next season if there aren't any better candidates. but in springfield, i want an experienced coach who can help prepare the prospects for the nhl (and could step up as the next coach).
dave king

Last edited by CBJ Bob: 03-28-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Bump.

Anyone else slightly warming up to the idea of retaining Richards for next year? The team seems to be playing with a lot more, dare I say, Passion, lately, and seems to be in the process of turning a corner. However, I cant decide if its Richards, or the JMFJ effect. thoughts?

I wouldnt be opposed to retaining him, but I would love to have Dave King back, if at all possible.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
blahblah

I don't dislike Richards like I did Arniel. Having said that, Richards doesn't do a whole lot for me either.

Closed Thread