HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ coach next year

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
Yeah Richards isnt a cocky SOB like Arniel was.
Neither of them seem to have much of a 'system' either. I think Richards is similar to Noel in a way. When they both got the interim title, they both stated that the team needed to start to have fun again, and the players, I feel, reacted well to this approach and played their best hockey as a complete unit without worrying about a system like under Arniel, whatever his system may have been.

Old
04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
17-21-2

Old
04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
17-21-2
Is that honestly that bad with this sad excuse of a team, coupled with probably around 200 man games lost?

Old
04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Is that honestly that bad with this sad excuse of a team, coupled with probably around 200 man games lost?
It's almost Gerard Gallant numbers. Richards will be back next year mostly since no one else would touch this team.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
It's almost Gerard Gallant numbers. Richards will be back next year mostly since no one else would touch this team.
With a much worse team...

04-06-2012, 09:51 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Yeah, I think its Richards' to lose.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
I like Richards, but I would rather have a fresh start than a guy hired to be there in case Arniel crapped the bed.

Ideally, I'd like to see a new, or significantly improved front office, and a new coach with a new vision and identity. I'm not sure we get that keeping the interim guy.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
It isn't that bad when you consider who we've had to ice at times, but I really don't think it has anything to do with Richards. It has to do with the young, unpredictable, hungry guys coming up from the AHL and plying hard, it has to do with Jack Johnson stabilizing the blue line, and most importantly the goalies have started to play better. The defense as a whole hasn't really gotten much better in my opinion, still give up a lot of quality chances, but now the goalies are stopping them on a more consistent basis (one game a week now instead of one game every two weeks). I don't even believe that Richards has a system even in place. He certainly isn't great at managing his players time on ice; I think that the fact that we have won 17 games since January instead of 10 is just because we were bound to eventually win a few. Richards is a jackass, I won't believe that he will actually be given a shot at the job in the offseason, it's not like he has done anything really other than letting them just go out and play, which wouldn't be the case if he is given the offseason to install a system, and that will work out so well, I mean it did for Minnesota...

Old
04-07-2012, 06:39 AM
RBarRegular

Richards will be back. No other coach with any kind of pedigree is going to step into this situation with the league's worst GM / President combo. It's like being put in a position to fail. I understand that there are only 30 of these jobs available but I doubt anyone with solid credentials would put themselves in that position.

Old
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Patrick Roy or Vyacheslav Bykov are my picks...

Old
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Bump.

Anyone else slightly warming up to the idea of retaining Richards for next year? The team seems to be playing with a lot more, dare I say, Passion, lately, and seems to be in the process of turning a corner. However, I cant decide if its Richards, or the JMFJ effect. thoughts?

I wouldnt be opposed to retaining him, but I would love to have Dave King back, if at all possible.
Anybody who's been around the board long enough knows I personally have no love for Mike Arace. And while the team's been playing better, should we really be taking anything away from it? They seem to do this every year, regardless of the who the coaches are. Playing better when no one is watching and it no longer matters, mathematically.

I think if Richards gets this job full time it should be because he provides the best option going forward, even if its a full on rebuild, and nothing he's done as the interim should be the basis for anything concrete.

I don't mean to sound callous, and its hardly Richards fault, but this is the situation and the organization that he's in....

I'm not quite sure anybody of significant "substance" could be lured here as long as P.I Priest and Scotty Do-Nothing continue to run the show, especially if a full on rebuild is going to be underway.

Old
04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Patrick Roy or Vyacheslav Bykov are my picks...
I hear Roy will be the next coach or either the Habs or the Nordiques.

Old
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
I hear Roy will be the next coach or either the Habs or the Nordiques.
Would you want Bykov to coach the team, then? I know he's a Russian coach but he can speak English well enough not to be lynched by the players.

Because Prospal can't coach the team just yet even if he wanted to.

Old
04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Would you want Bykov to coach the team, then? I know he's a Russian coach but he can speak English well enough not to be lynched by the players.

Because Prospal can't coach the team just yet even if he wanted to.
Big NO!!!
1. Bykov isnt good without Zakharkin he wont be a coach of a team without him.
2. He isnt such a good coach.

Old
04-07-2012, 08:55 PM
General Jacket70

I think Richards returns. . .but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else steps in.

Gotta remember, there are only 30 of these jobs in the NHL and any hockey coach with any ambition at all wants one of these jobs. I would think that the CBJ job would be especially tempting because there's no way to go but up. A new coach wouldn't be following a legendary coach or have to live up to a history of success. It would be an opportunity to make your mark as a coach in the NHL and, if he can bring success, get noticed. Arniel tried and failed, but that won't stop others from trying. . . .

Old
04-07-2012, 09:44 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I like Richards, he straight and to the point and the players seem to like that. His interview after the game on the radio was good.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:47 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I vote for Espen Knutsen for assistant coach.

Last edited by leesmith: 04-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 10:12 PM
EDM

Richards has probably earned a shot at next year. But who knows, maybe Priest read in the Sporting News that Tommy Lasorda was bored in retirement.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Richards has probably earned a shot at next year. But who knows, maybe Priest read in the Sporting News that Tommy Lasorda was bored in retirement.
"Tommy, just imagine that every guy on the other team is Kurt Bevacqua!"

Old
04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 543
I like Richards. I really like his postgame interviews and think he projects himself professionally.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:34 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
You're turning me on.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:55 AM
General Jacket70

Two Words: Patrick Roy!

Old
04-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I am still not sold on Richards. Maybe he will be a great NHL coach, who knows. God knows the guy was thrust into tough situations in Minny, and now here.

My only thought is that the Jackets go out and hire the best coach possible. I wouldn't even mind seeing Kinger back behind the bench here. He got such a raw deal from XGMDM.

I also completely disagree with everyone that thinks that any reputable NHL coach currently out of a job would not take this gig.

Every one of them loves a challenge, and believe me, if they come in here next year and coach this team into the play-offs they are the instant "coach of the year" favorite.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Jacket70 View Post
I think Richards returns. . .but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else steps in.

Gotta remember, there are only 30 of these jobs in the NHL and any hockey coach with any ambition at all wants one of these jobs. I would think that the CBJ job would be especially tempting because there's no way to go but up. A new coach wouldn't be following a legendary coach or have to live up to a history of success. It would be an opportunity to make your mark as a coach in the NHL and, if he can bring success, get noticed. Arniel tried and failed, but that won't stop others from trying. . . .
I thought about this and theoretically, you're right. I was using it as a main point during the CBJ last coaching search, However, the Guy Boucher thing kinda blew that out the water for me. Boucher was, for everything I've read and seen, offered the job before he had even formally interviewed with Tampa and he basically gave the organization the run around while his people worked behind the scenes until he got the official interview with Yzerman.

I don't think this organization can afford another situation like that. Thats twice now where the number one targeted candidate for a position here turns us down.... Do they risk number three?

Old
04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
How many krones does the job pay?

Closed Thread