HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ coach next year

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
As to the coaching position-the devil you know might be in play here. I wonder if Noel wouldn't have been the better choice than Arniel.

This team doesn't seem to respond to tough coaches like Hitch & Arniel, but seem to find a spark under guys like Noel & Richards.

Now everyone will jump on the "country club atmosphere" thing and I agree that that has to change. But i think you can do that by holding people accountable and enforcing rules without being a butt head.

As with everything, everyone will have an opinion but no one will know until decisions are made and the next season plays out. Lots to look forward to this summer-the draft, the trades, the coach (and I hate to say this but I think GMSH & Priest are here for at least another year).

Old
04-08-2012, 12:41 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As to the coaching position-the devil you know might be in play here. I wonder if Noel wouldn't have been the better choice than Arniel.

This team doesn't seem to respond to tough coaches like Hitch & Arniel, but seem to find a spark under guys like Noel & Richards.

Now everyone will jump on the "country club atmosphere" thing and I agree that that has to change. But i think you can do that by holding people accountable and enforcing rules without being a butt head.

As with everything, everyone will have an opinion but no one will know until decisions are made and the next season plays out. Lots to look forward to this summer-the draft, the trades, the coach (and I hate to say this but I think GMSH & Priest are here for at least another year).
Its infinitely more complex when you have the stewards of this "atmosphere" still presiding. Any positive change that involves a trade of Nash or a brand new coach will be short-lived as long as their isn't that same drive to succeed being preached by the front office.

Ownership is setting a great example to the rest by not holding those responsible for our current troubles responsible.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 04-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old
04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Its infinitely more complex when you have the stewards of this "atmosphere" still presiding. Any positive change that involves a trade of Nash or a brand new coach will be short-lived as long as their isn't that same drive to succeed being preached by the front office.

Ownership is setting a great example to the rest by not holding those responsible for our current troubles responsible.
The word "Accountability" is painted in the player's weight room wall. It should be painted in the front office and JPMac's office as well.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:24 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The word "Accountability" is painted in the player's weight room wall. It should be painted in the front office and JPMac's office as well.
Agree. The players and coaches aren't going to the be the ones driving the bus now. Action at the top is needed to direct the players and coaches "How" to drive the bus in the future.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
EDM

JPM: "What do you mean there is no accounting? Mike Priest is a CPA."

Old
04-08-2012, 04:29 PM
General Jacket70

Quote:
I thought about this and theoretically, you're right. I was using it as a main point during the CBJ last coaching search, However, the Guy Boucher thing kinda blew that out the water for me. Boucher was, for everything I've read and seen, offered the job before he had even formally interviewed with Tampa and he basically gave the organization the run around while his people worked behind the scenes until he got the official interview with Yzerman.

I don't think this organization can afford another situation like that. Thats twice now where the number one targeted candidate for a position here turns us down.... Do they risk number three?
Good points. Boucher had more than one option and he knew it. Who knows for sure if Tampa or Columbus called him first.

I still think any NHL head coaching job is an attractive job for up and coming coaches. But I agree that the CBJ job may not be more attractive than other NHL jobs open at the same time, relative to the particular person to be hired and/or team competing against the CBJ.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
CBJfan4evr

Great lets go get another up and coming coach or a coach with an ego as wide as the grand canyon. You know what at the end of the day I give the job to the caretaker (Richards) who quietly took a piece of crap roster and steered them to an almost .500 finish over the last 41. I'll get continuity across my assistant coaches as well. Coaches seem to ebb and flow with the current talent a team possesses. I'm not sure one established coach is tremendously better than the next. As for Boucher I think his time has already started to pass in TB.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
General Jacket70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
Great lets go get another up and coming coach or a coach with an ego as wide as the grand canyon. . .
I wouldn't mind seeing Richards stay and giving him time with his own staff and an offseason to work with the team. I was just saying that there would be good candidates for the job if Howson were to make it available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
As for Boucher I think his time has already started to pass in TB.
As we've seen firsthand, goaltending is everything. . . and Tampa didn't have it this year. I'd give him another year . . .

Old
04-11-2012, 01:46 AM
georgiabluejacket

I agree with CBJfan4evr about Boucher. I think if they don't make the playoffs next year you he'll be out of a job. I also think Joel Quinnville might be on the unemployment line at the end of next season if not before(obviously depending on this years playoffs and how the start next season). I read somewhere that Richards had the team on a 87 point pace, which isn't playoffs, but it's not all that far off either when you consider the crap sandwhich that he was given. Give him a legit goalie and we're in contention for the 6-8 seeds.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I agree with CBJfan4evr about Boucher. I think if they don't make the playoffs next year you he'll be out of a job. I also think Joel Quinnville might be on the unemployment line at the end of next season if not before(obviously depending on this years playoffs and how the start next season). I read somewhere that Richards had the team on a 87 point pace, which isn't playoffs, but it's not all that far off either when you consider the crap sandwhich that he was given. Give him a legit goalie and we're in contention for the 6-8 seeds.
This is kind of the line of thinking that got us stuck with a coach like Gerard Gallant though.

Richards has one big thing working against him... CBJ History. If Howson and Priest truly want to "retool" to immediately be competitive, then Richards isn't going to be the guy, I think he only gets the job if the team plans on the full-on rebuild.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Kev22

I'm sure that it will end up being the wrong coach installing the wrong system for the type of players that we have.

In all seriousness, I would imagine that we'll hear the names of some veteran re-treads like Craig MacTavish, Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley. Howson really dropped the ball with Arneil, so I would have to imagine that he's going to go after a proven quantity, unless he feels that Richards is that proven quantity.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
This is kind of the line of thinking that got us stuck with a coach like Gerard Gallant though.
Other than Richards > GG (at that moment in time certainly), I see where you are coming from.

There are worse fates than being "stuck" with Richards. I think there are long term benefits to bringing Richards in for one of those evergreen deals. He'd probably go for it, at least the first year, and we could dump his ass without extra years left on it. He would also be easy to dispose of if a new GM somehow came to pass.

No, I see ways that Richards comes back and it's not a bad thing. The players don't seem to hate him. He did fairly well. If we trade Nash so I don't have to get angry when he's not used on the PK I should be alright.

Since I look at next year as a transitional year, I don't mind a transitional coach.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

With Howson doing the hiring, it won't matter who we get. As long as 'the author of failure' is in charge, the hiring and firing coaching cycle will continue.

Old
04-12-2012, 10:24 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

My prediction has some ironic symmetry: John Tortorella.

04-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

If we can't get a prime candidate in the door, I'm all for reupping Richards....to the right contract. Why settle for a compromise candidate when we have a guy fully capable already in place?

Old
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
If we can't get a prime candidate in the door, I'm all for reupping Richards....to the right contract. Why settle for a compromise candidate when we have a guy fully capable already in place?
Yeah, I highly doubt we will see another "unknown"... It will either be Richards or someone with more experience.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Cyclones Rock

Richards did a commendable job.

In the unlikely scenario that the requisite front office cleaning should happen, Richards would warrant a strong look by the new GM.

He's been (roughly) a .500 coach with the two teams he's had. Given the talent he's had to work with, that's not bad.

He's done nothing to warrant being released. Mike Babcock (or any equivalent) isn't coming here anyway. Give him a one year contract and let him have at it.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
He's done nothing to warrant being released.
I'm not opposed to him returning, however, I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I have a few issues that would make me consider if he's the best man for the job.

1. Handling of Johansen. Scratching on road games on limiting minutes is one thing. Richards handling was different. Much like Arniel with Brassard.

2. Handling of Rick Nash and the reluctance to use him on the PK and increase his minutes to the 20 minute mark range. I don't respect coaches that take a conservative approach to managing their stars. He wasn't utilizing him to his potential.

3. The handling of AJ. He was given too many minutes in key situations. Even depleted we had better options.

Old
04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Cyclones Rock

[QUOTE=blahblah;47827655]

I'm not opposed to him returning, however, I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I have a few issues that would make me consider if he's the best man for the job.

Quote:
1. Handling of Johansen. Scratching on road games on limiting minutes is one thing. Richards handling was different. Much like Arniel with Brassard.
It was a difficult situation. The kid wasn't playing well and Richards needed wins (he forgot he was in Columbus) to keep an NHL job. The fact that he was even on the roster was the problem (should have been in juniors) and, as such, Richards had to deal with a problem caused by whatchamadoodle. Plus, who knows what went on behind the scenes. It's possible the Johansen didn't meet up to some set of conditions which Richards imposed. Just speculation on my part (obviously).

Quote:
2. Handling of Rick Nash and the reluctance to use him on the PK and increase his minutes to the 20 minute mark range. I don't respect coaches that take a conservative approach to managing their stars. He wasn't utilizing him to his potential.
I think that most of us can see the need for a "culture change" within the Blue Jacket organization. No doubt so does Richards. Perhaps-and this is just a possibility-his relative limited minutes usage of Nash was a way for Richards to send the messages that no one's performance was acceptable and that the team star had to pick up his performance and that Nash wasn't going to be the center piece of everything all of the time.

Quote:
3. The handling of AJ. He was given too many minutes in key situations. Even depleted we had better options.
AJ is not so good. I just cringed whenever I watched him, so I'll trust you on this one.

Old
04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
blahblah

I appreciate your input, however, there isn't anything in responses that I consider a valid reason for his actions.

Benching an important piece to the future of the franchise to save your job isn't a reason for me to want to keep him around. I saw nothing in Nash's handling to suggest that there was that type of motivation. Why would you remove a 35+ goal scorer from the PK to teach him a less that his actions were unacceptable? If a player isn't giving the effort, that's like a reward.

As said I appreciate your response, but I find nothing in there that supports your statement that he has done nothing to warrant his release.

Old
04-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Brent Sutter is now available. Anyone interested?

Old
04-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
He has what is at least a superficially impressive WHL record. But what I remember with him was in New Jersey was that they were transitioning from a veteran to a young team, and that they outperformed everyone's expectations. I don't know how much credit is due for bringing the young players along and really turning them into excellent NHL players, but he had something to do with it.

I think that history will end up vindicating him for Calgary as well. The teams he had had no business contending for 8th, and Feaster's refusal to legitimately rebuild baffles me.

On the plus side, having a Sutter around will give everyone a chance to be amazed at my ability to impersonate any one of them....it's my remarkable ability to express 15 different emotions with one single expression.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 04-13-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
118-90-38 with Flames....missed playoffs 3 years...fired
2 first place finishes, but 2 first round losses with Devils in his 2 seasons in NJ.....fired.

Typical Sutter personality.......charmless, grim.

Mediocre coach with an unpersonality. Just a name. An overrated one at that. Like most of the Sutter clan.

He's a guy whose time is passed. By the time the playoffs roll around-which hasn't happened for him in 4 years-his teams are spent. He hasn't been past a first round (4 chances) in 8 years (5 NHL/3 WHL) and missed them the other 4. He's no Hitchcock. Can't see him reinventing himself.

I don't think he'd bring anything but mediocrity from the coaching standpoint and from the PR standpoint-which is important when a team has half its arena empty on too many occasions-he might be a negative.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 04-13-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 04:37 AM
nhlfan9191

Watch Ron Wilson get the job. LOL.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
I don't see this as being a fit with the current regime. While Sutter is unspectacular, I don't see him putting up with the "politics" of the current management. Arniel bit his tongue during the exit interviews and Its strange that they let him leave the city immediately and, essentially, the organization without so much as a token position/title as "scout" or something like they did with Gallant and Hitchcock, at least for the duration of his contract or until he was hired by someone else.

So in my opinion, its looking more and more like its going to be Richards (straight from the chat yesterday: "Richards is the kind of guy the front office likes: he's patient, agreeable, not confrontational."). Anybody with a pedigree will be quickly burned out or will feel like they have to work to counteract their own management team.

Closed Thread