HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed with link: Burke Presser at 10:00 today

Old
03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
LOL SN1 montage of Wilson........ I'll miss his miserly ways
this

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Confucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Oh I agree, MLSE and Burke could by all means keep Eakins in the fold if they wanted to. Money isn't an issue but Burke just strikes me as a guy that, if a team approached him asking to talk to Eakins, he'd let them talk to him (granted not right now, but in the offseason).
If that happens, my feeling is it's wrong and a sign of weakness by Burke. You don't do what's best for Eakins you do what's best for you organization. If you think the guy is going to be a good coach you hold onto to him. Burke has the means to do that, it's not like we have to count our pennies to survive. Look at all the salary dumps he takes on. If he makes it worthwhile for Eakins, I'd think he would stay. The same situation Nonis has.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Raging Bull

Hopefully Montreal looks at hiring Wilson.

In all seriousness though I like the guy and hope he gets another shot at coaching soon.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
YearsintheWilderness

vCash: 50
Montage of Wilson meltdowns and insults to the media.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

lol ill miss wilson's sarcastic stuff man lol

TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post

In all seriousness though I like the guy and hope he gets another shot at coaching soon.
Start learning french WILSON!!!!!

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

indeed he's a good coach and guy, just wasnt the right fit with us.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
LMAO at LEAFSTV for NOT even SHOWING THE PRESS CONFERENCE!!

What a disgrace of a station.
They don't have a charter for it.

they're doing a favour for the news stations by letting them carry it and not pulling viewers.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Budsfan

Show me a good coach and I'll show you great goal tending.

That says it all.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hotpaws

vCash: 5001
IMO this was Burke's best presser .

I'm shocked he remained calm , good on him . I'm also pleased he didn't try to blame the media or the fans .

I like Carlyle already , it took him 2 mins to admit he made a mistake about not playing Lupul on left wing . I know he said it before when the team was in Ana but good for him to put any speculation on a rift between him and lupes to bed quickly .

The thing that still bothers me about Burke is he talks about building for the future and then turns around and says he was not interested in aquiring extra picks because there not going to help the team for at least 3 years .

hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
K19*

You can't expect Burke to throw his goalies under the bus, but hopefully he realizes that it's the most glaring need. Let's hope this isn't like Burke's Vancouver teams all over again where he repeatedly failed to address the goaltending situation. On the other hand, it would be a god-send if Carlyle's new system made our goalies looked better. At least we'll have a glimpse of that before heading into the offseason, which will help the decision process in terms of what to do about finding a #1 goalie.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
indeed he's a good coach and guy, just wasnt the right fit with us.
It would be great to listen to his post game comments after playing against us.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:43 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:

Lol, just as long as it's with our main competition...

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Maybe now we'll get to see some of that truculence and testosterone that Burke mentioned a few years ago. Still don't have the personal to really see Carlyle do much in making the team more physical, at least in regards to the forwards.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I really think those chants helped a lot. Burke knows that this team will be lucky to get a 2 game win streak going with the way they are playing.

Every loss is going to trigger a Fire Wilson chant and the longer he waited the longer the Leafs and Burke will be criticized.

I do agree though.. we just fell off a cliff. Even if we won 3 of those 10 games we lost, we're in 8th at the moment. That's how bad it was.
The complete drop off might be surprising, but not everyone believed the team was as good as its' record and had concerns regardless of some of the scores.

It would be epic if they climbed over all those tables into the playoffs.

Not expecting playoffs, but do expect a change in how they play.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
So let's start the pool for how long it takes Burke to blame the media for having to fire Wilson.

I'm going to say:

3 minutes, 20 seconds.

Closest without going over wins.
Didn't happen bud

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Pretty much accelerated the process with the way the fans treated him at home last Saturday. Not that I agree with it, but Burke basically confirmed as much.
What other choice did Leaf fans have really?

Burke had stubbornly hunkered down telling Leaf Nation "he isn't contemplating a coaching change", regardless of the train wreck we have all be witnessing, which today Burke is calling the equivalent of a "Semi dropping off the side of a cliff".

Even if Burke calls it "mercy firing" not wanting to put his pal through that again. It does prove Leaf nation does have a voice in the direction of what is happening, and Leaf management was forced to cave to public opinion.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post

I'm shocked he remained calm , good on him . I'm also pleased he didn't try to blame the media or the fans .

I like Carlyle already , it took him 2 mins to admit he made a mistake about not playing Lupul on left wing . I know he said it before when the team was in Ana but good for him to put any speculation on a rift between him and lupes to bed quickly .

The thing that still bothers me about Burke is he talks about building for the future and then turns around and says he was not interested in aquiring extra picks because there not going to help the team for at least 3 years .
Burke has been pretty vocal in only making moves that help the team now, and in the future. In other words, don't make moves that hurt the playoff chances when there is still a chance.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

From the sounds of it, Eakins wasn't close. Burke said he was dissapointed, but with him not even have coached a AHL playoff game, it would have been a tough sell in Toronto. After this season this will change, and Eakins will likely be on a shortlist of NHL coaching jobs.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LC

I wonder if we''ll still see odd man breaks on the PK or 4 players go into a corner and lose out on the puck against 1 person.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SHoot85

only part i had a problem with is burkey saying he wouldn't send ron back to the ACC after what happened tuesday. he wouldn't put him back into that atmosphere and how it was so tough. but i mean cmon, ron obviously would have wanted to go back there, and keep his job. he made it sound like he was doing ron a favor, as if ron wanted to quit or something.

SHoot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
What other choice did Leaf fans have really?

Burke had stubbornly hunkered down telling Leaf Nation "he isn't contemplating a coach change", regardless of the train wreck we have all be witnessing.

Even if Burke calls it "mercy firing" not wanting to put his pal through that again. It does prove Leaf nation does have a voice in the direction of what is happening, and Leaf management was forced to cave to public opinion.
He's doing the same thing with Allaire.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo19 View Post
On the other hand, it would be a god-send if Carlyle's new system made our goalies looked better. At least we'll have a glimpse of that before heading into the offseason, which will help the decision process in terms of what to do about finding a #1 goalie.
Hopefully Carlyle can make the Leafs D undertand that you just can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again and hanging the goalie's out to dry. Plus a new defensive system might suit pylons like Schenn,Phaneuf and Komi by slowing the game down a bit.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The complete drop off might be surprising, but not everyone believed the team was as good as its' record and had concerns regardless of some of the scores.

It would be epic if they climbed over all those tables into the playoffs.

Not expecting playoffs, but do expect a change in how they play.
That's really all I want to see for this season now. Playoffs are just too far now. Burke probably knows it, that's why he's looking towards next year.

I just want to see a team on the ice that plays offense and values defense. It's nice to watch run and gun when you win, but my favorite win this whole season was against Pittsburgh the 1-0 win after scoring the only goal in the 3rd period. Shutting down the likes of Malkin, Neal, Staal and Letang.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
SHoot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post

u must have missed when burke said he wouldn't throw ron back out there at the acc after what happened last time. to me that's blaming the fans to a degree.

and the carlyle thing...A. he was asked about it, don't make it seem like he addressed it on his own within 2 mins. and B. what did you REALLY excpect carlyle to say??? "yeah lupuls an arrogant ******* for the things he said earlier this season, and we're going to have our problems no doubt" ....he said the only thing he could say, lets not applaud the man for that.

SHoot85 is offline   Reply With Quote