HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rosehill

Old
03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Dutch77
Predictable..

vCash: 500
That didn't take long

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:57 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Would someone mind explaining the limits on call ups? Thanks in advance
you're allowed 4 call-ups after the trade deadline until the end of the season

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Brown and Rosehill will see more action under Carlyle, I expect Armstrong, Kule, Schenn, and Dion to really step up the physical play. As I said under Carlyle, the skaters will skate, the pluggers will plug. Everyone will have a role on this team, unlike before under Wilson.
Just a question how much did the bad PK influence Wilson in using these players? I can tell you this much if the PK continues to be bad Carlyle would be hard pressed to maintain a physical type of game. The bad PK has IMO effected Komisarek playing his game and now we're seeing the same issues with Schenn and Armstrong

I blame this years massive problems with the PK on Reimer his save % on the PK is telling why it became so bad in the month of December that changed the physical element to how the team played to not take penalties.

Where I think Wilson screwed up this year is with Gustavsson he's been the better of the goalies this year and Wilson was too quick after an average game by Gustavsson in going to the other goalie 3 times he did this with Scrivens early on and twice with Reimer if there is a player that will benefit from this change it's Gustavsson IMO and I hope he starts tonight.

Gustavsson it seemed could do no right in earning the net he was hot at the point when Reimer came back from his injury and he lost the net just like that which started the first down swirl on the year with that decision. The team was in 1st place at that point and Reimer couldn't stop beach balls on the PK that was the root of the Leafs having that December swoon to make matters worst Wilson road Reimer to get him going and it didn't pay off to the point Wilson had to change the team from being nasty to not take penalties. Come January he went with Gustavsson and the team had a great month of January where it was just 3 points behind Philly for 4th in the conference and after that Pittsburgh game where Gustavsson had a bad 3rd period and the team lost in the shoot out he once again lost the net went back to Reimer who had back to back shout outs followed by the collapsed we have now with both goalies lacking confidence. The $hit thing is Gustavsson doesn't have confidence issues right now that's just Reimer. Gustavsson IS TRYING TOO HARD due to Wilson having no confidence in him to stick with him and that IMO is what has killed the team in collapsing the way it has..

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Burke said Carlyle and him share one thing that he and Wilson didn't share, and that's they like a rough style of play.

Carlyle's first move is to bring up Rosehill. I like it. I feel like I'm in heaven with Wilson out of T.O. what a miserable 3 years it's been. I also want this team to be tougher to play against. Hopefully Carlyle will achieve some of that.
I started to wonder when the last time I heard someone say the Leafs are 'tough to play against'.

We could use Rosie to look over things as I think Brownie alone just isn't enough. Even with limited time, i'm OK with keeping Komi and Armstrong in the line up for added grit. Backed by a new coach and his asst. expect to see a dramatic culture change within the next few weeks and moving forward.

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:00 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Now that's just ridiculous. The guy will play 4-5 minutes and does one thing and one thing only.
Your opinion!

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

inb4the1remainingcallupisusedonorr

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
stamkos

Good we need to be tougher, dont worry about 1 more call up. Even if we made the playoffs we arnt going past the 1st round.

stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
inb4the1remainingcallupisusedonorr
Who cares ? The young guys are better off with the Marlies playoff run then failing with the leafs or if they are lucky getting ran the **** over by the Rags.

Jake would be there too if he was not such an important piece to this team.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
I'm glad Rosie is getting another shot . He goes hard on the forecheck and is decent in his own end . I wonder who'll he'll replace in the line up .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
bleeney

Finally!

I'm sick and tired of watching non-contact hockey. Of watching opposition players given a free pass when it comes to targeting Kessel. Of seeing my team having no pushback in the lineup.

I'm liking Calyle already.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

can't wait for people to complain about rosehill getting too many minutes

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Just a question how much did the bad PK influence Wilson in using these players? I can tell you this much if the PK continues to be bad Carlyle would be hard pressed to maintain a physical type of game. The bad PK has IMO effected Komisarek playing his game and now we're seeing the same issues with Schenn and Armstrong

I blame this years massive problems with the PK on Reimer his save % on the PK is telling why it became so bad in the month of December that changed the physical element to how the team played to not take penalties.

Where I think Wilson screwed up this year is with Gustavsson he's been the better of the goalies this year and Wilson was too quick after an average game by Gustavsson in going to the other goalie 3 times he did this with Scrivens early on and twice with Reimer if there is a player that will benefit from this change it's Gustavsson IMO and I hope he starts tonight.

Gustavsson it seemed could do no right in earning the net he was hot at the point when Reimer came back from his injury and he lost the net just like that which started the first down swirl on the year with that decision. The team was in 1st place at that point and Reimer couldn't stop beach balls on the PK that was the root of the Leafs having that December swoon to make matters worst Wilson road Reimer to get him going and it didn't pay off to the point Wilson had to change the team from being nasty to not take penalties. Come January he went with Gustavsson and the team had a great month of January where it was just 3 points behind Philly for 4th in the conference and after that Pittsburgh game where Gustavsson had a bad 3rd period and the team lost in the shoot out he once again lost the net went back to Reimer who had back to back shout outs followed by the collapsed we have now with both goalies lacking confidence. The $hit thing is Gustavsson doesn't have confidence issues right now that's just Reimer. Gustavsson IS TRYING TOO HARD due to Wilson having no confidence in him to stick with him and that IMO is what has killed the team in collapsing the way it has..
This is a great question, there's a trade off, you don't want to play passively by trying to not take penalties, but forcefully enough to impose your will on a game. I would like us to play more like the Bruins. I know we don't have the players of that size, but I do feel guys like Schenn, Kule, Dion, Armstrong, Franson can have a bigger impact on games. These are not small players, we can play bigger. I think it's more a mentality than a penalty problem issue. There are good penalties and there are bad ones. With the way the NHL are letting teams play, I think it will benefit us more than not being proactive.

Last edited by Interactif: 03-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
Shawn Thorton would have been in a Rosehill situation if he played under Wilson, really it depends on the coach and the style of play. People make remarks of 4-5 mins playing time, well that was under Wilson. Under Carlyle those 6-7 mins will be impactful ones. Ask Bruins fans what Thornton did in the playoffs with his 6-7 mins and how he changed the complexion of the series.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
leafsfuture

Rosehill was useless, but at the beginning of the season he wasnt that bad. The one thing that he has going for him is that he can skate. As Brownie has shown, if you can skate, and use it well, there can be a spot for you.

I dont necessarily agree with the callup, especially cause we need more scoring from lines 2 - 4, but I can see the idea behind this

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Rosehill was useless, but at the beginning of the season he wasnt that bad. The one thing that he has going for him is that he can skate. As Brownie has shown, if you can skate, and use it well, there can be a spot for you.

I dont necessarily agree with the callup, especially cause we need more scoring from lines 2 - 4, but I can see the idea behind this
If he was useless it was due to the coach at the time. Cherry is right when he says you dress a guy only to fight against Bruins or a tough team, you have to invest in a player, tough guy or not. Quinn was masterful in developing Domi, made him feel as he was a big part of the team. Carlyle will do this for Rosie, he won't make him feel useless. He's got a role, which is take the body, set the tone of the game, and take care of business. I don't know about you but it really bothered me when Kessel was being run, if anything seeing Kessel's reactions to fights. He will probably the 1st one to welcome Rosie back.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
SprDaVE

Rosehill, under Wilson anyway, always looked great in pre-season and for the first couple games of the regular season. He would forecheck like a mad man, hit like a truck and really be involved.

As the games wore on, he'd get less and less effective to a point where he would barely hit anymore.

I'm not sure if that's a coaching thing or if Rosehill just got away from his role.

We'll see how it goes under another coach.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Your opinion!
Is it also simply opinion that Doug Gilmour was a very good playmaker?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
leafspring*

So i guess Rosehill will be ready to go by tuesday against boston?

Old
03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
Carlyle and Burke's teams play near the edge, and are among the penalty leaders by design among the most penalized.

This coaching change is going to go well beyond Rosehill alone if Carlyle has any say, as he would love to instill a backbone in this team no question..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Is it also simply opinion that Doug Gilmour was a very good playmaker?
He would have been dead without Clark/Domi is a opinion supposedly to.

Old
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
Yea, that and skill.....
hahahaaa...funny how some think, simply getting a bit tougher is how you win the Stanley Cup....Anaheim had two Norris Trophy Winners on D, a Conn Smythe/Vezina winner in net, One of the greatest Euros ever up front and 2 young studs who led the team in scoring...oh yeah and they were tough...

Boston had a Conn Smythe/Vezina winner in net, Norris trophy winning captain, One of the best Power Forwards in the game, one of the best defensive centers in hockey and about 7 guys who could score 20 goals. Oh yeah and they were tough.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
He would have been dead without Clark/Domi is a opinion supposedly to.
Yeah because Doug Gilmour only played in 6 years with Clark/Domi...He never existed before he played in Toronto and he just died after he left.....hahahahahaha...

Old
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

where's my Burke Diatribe thread?

time for people to eat crow!

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 12:46 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Carlyle and Burke's teams play near the edge, and are among the penalty leaders by design among the most penalized.

This coaching change is going to go well beyond Rosehill alone if Carlyle has any say, as he would love to instill a backbone in this team no question..
I don't think there will be too many fans who will object to this...as long as Burke provides the right players...so far Burke's truculent players have been anything but. Carlyle can only do so much and I hardly think guys like Rosehill and Orr will make any difference. I was no fan of Wilson but honestly the GM has to take a big part of the responsibility. Only so much a coach could do in regards to team toughness and grit.

At least Rosehill can skate but if he plays more than 9 minutes, the Leafs will have other problems other than being pushed around.

Old
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Stupid call up limit.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote