HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning @ Canes, 7 p.m., RBCPNC Center; FS-CR

Old
03-03-2012, 10:31 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Also since it hasn't been mentioned yet - Tim Peel reffing tonight. So look for a close game that winds up as a screwjob.
Well, this wound up being nothing short of prophecy.

From the stands at the time it happened, I assumed the OT call on Sutter would land squarely on Tim "Bananas" Peel. Listening to 99.9 on the way home, Forslund assigned it to St Laurent. I can't bring myself to watch the DVR'd broadcast to see it again.

Thanks, St LOLrent!

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Once the whistle blows, it's a done deal. There is no argument phase between the refs.
I've heard/seen differently but whatever. Is there any way to put in something in the next CBA that holds the refs accountable? Some system where the refs lose games. I mean how is it fair for players and coaches to get fined for telling the truth (Sutter postgame in this instance) while St. Laurent and Peel will have nothing happen to them.

*End *

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
caniac247

I've never been so pissed after a game before. Worst officiated game ever. On Stamkos' first Bowman was hooked. Call let go. Tlusty's trip, guess guys losing an edge is tripping. Staal's slash was a joke.

St Laurent might have screwed us in OT with that BS roughing on Sutter. But Peel screwed us on the 5-on-3. Larose's was legit, but Staals was BS.

Loved seeing Staal go after the refs. Never seen him so pissed before. The dude wanted to kill somebody as did I.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Was in attendance tonight. Even without many reviews it was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Anton Maurice

This game is evidence for why LaRose need not ever see the ice again for the Cane.

Anton Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Maurice View Post
This game is evidence for why LaRose need not ever see the ice again for the Cane.
Because he did well in his first game back?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Wolfpuck
Scream Like Thunder

Wow. Just wow. The Hurricanes got goat-****ed on the Sutter call in OT. Yeah, they shouldn't have blown a 3-1 lead, but when Sutter gets shoved from behind, jumps over the goalie to minimize contact, and Garon falls over like he got shot, how can the ref give Carolina the only penalty? I'm not one to usually complain about officiating, but that was absolutely brutal.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Ouch, just as well I didn't go then.

The Valient Thorr/Torche/CoC show was epicness...

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:37 AM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
Can we address Staal's tired but terrible play on the gamewinner?
rather address the MAGNIFICENT hit he laid on stamkos! unfortunate it did not knock him out of the game though. btw tim peel is singlehandedly improving our draft position!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:45 AM
bleedgreen

Don't put yourself In position to let the refs make a difference. We let them back in it. When you watch the 10 minute version of the highlights, our 3rd goal is basically the last canes highlight of the game. The rest is Tampa in our end working us over. Too much talent for that.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:52 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
rather address the MAGNIFICENT hit he laid on stamkos! unfortunate it did not knock him out of the game though. btw tim peel is singlehandedly improving our draft position!
It is possible to play a great game and still make a gaffe to give up the game winner. I never said the guy was bad last night but on the game winner he looked like a guy who had already given up and assumed the Ning would score. The pass should have never made it to Stamkos but Staal stood up and relaxed. Your captain cant do that even if he has played 24 min. He certainly has plenty of energy to hunt the refs after the goal. Roddy would have passed out on the ice before he did what Staal did.

That said it was a good game to lose with the Isles winning yesterday. Too bad TOR actually showed up for Carlyle

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
bleedgreen

As far as the call goes, a lot of over reaction going on. Stamkos doesn't shove him. At all. He stays with his man and that's it, he's making contact but nothing that would give any ref pause. Sutter does make a valiant effort to go over, but at the end of the day he made contact with the goalie and enough to make a difference. If there had been another cane following the play the canes would've scored on a play where the goalie was essentially tackled whether or not sutter "did his best". Game was decided on the play, but the game could've been ended right there had they not called it. Tb fans could've had a field day with Gleason or someone tapping in a empty net rebound as garons on his back floating out of the crease.

Make it not interference if there contact outside the crease and maybe garon keeps his feet or doesn't come out as far in the first place.

That would be a tough non call going the other way. Sutter deserves credit for the effort, but it isn't a shocking call. He made contact with the goalie, he came in fast and with stamkos on his hip he had no time to stop. Effort and good intentions aren't enough on that play.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:14 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Yeah, it's a tough non-call to make if that does in fact happen. Normally something like that could be waived off as incidental contact, so while no foul was committed there was in fact a player from the attacking team that (quite obviously in this case) prevented the goalie from making the save via contact with the netminder. Outside the crease that rule doesn't exist, which is both good and bad. It's good because in theory it prevents goalies from wandering too much but the down side of it is that it makes GI one of those "no gray area" calls. Essentially Sutter either interfered with the goalie and was going to get the 2 minutes, or Sutter didn't (was pushed in, tried to avoid contact, etc) and it was going to be let go, which if that had resulted in a goal probably would have been even more controversial. Was it the right call? I'd say no, but you can't make an incidental contact call to waive off a goal when the goalie is outside the crease, so it was going to be either a bad call or an even worse non-call.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
caniac247

Call it goalie interference then if they thought he interfered with the goalie on his own accord. Why call it roughing?

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Call it goalie interference then if they thought he interfered with the goalie on his own accord. Why call it roughing?
Because they're idiots? That flat out made no sense to me either, as goalie interference was a legitimate call on the play. But I'm not going to kid myself on this one, I've seen some officials make some absolutely nonsensical calls on things that according to league rules are clear penalties of another type entirely. We might not notice it as much game to game but in doing those officiating reviews for the playoffs on the Sharks board I can safely say I notice a LOT of misscalls that are still legitimate calls in another way. Tripping and Roughing are the two biggest offenders on that front.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
As far as the call goes, a lot of over reaction going on. Stamkos doesn't shove him. At all. He stays with his man and that's it, he's making contact but nothing that would give any ref pause. Sutter does make a valiant effort to go over, but at the end of the day he made contact with the goalie and enough to make a difference. If there had been another cane following the play the canes would've scored on a play where the goalie was essentially tackled whether or not sutter "did his best". Game was decided on the play, but the game could've been ended right there had they not called it. Tb fans could've had a field day with Gleason or someone tapping in a empty net rebound as garons on his back floating out of the crease.

Make it not interference if there contact outside the crease and maybe garon keeps his feet or doesn't come out as far in the first place.

That would be a tough non call going the other way. Sutter deserves credit for the effort, but it isn't a shocking call. He made contact with the goalie, he came in fast and with stamkos on his hip he had no time to stop. Effort and good intentions aren't enough on that play.
I'll agree that it is a no-win scenario on call/no-call. I don't completely exonerate Stamkos though. You are right, he certainly didn't cross-check Sutter into Garon, or even give him a hard shove, but he does initiate contact and at that speed, and only a few feet from a collision course with Garon, a little contact is going to go a long way. He certainly is well outside of the crease when it occurs, so there shoudn't be any question there.

Yet another unfortunate situation that the Canes wind up on the wrong end of.

I also don't give peel a pass for the Staal penalty.

Maybe the most-compelling evidence of poor officiating is the way the players reacted in OT and after the game. We think we know what we saw, but they had angles we didn't and either were involved (or talked to teammates who were), and if they were going after the officials like that, it was poorly called.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
I'll agree that it is a no-win scenario on call/no-call. I don't completely exonerate Stamkos though. You are right, he certainly didn't cross-check Sutter into Garon, or even give him a hard shove, but he does initiate contact and at that speed, and only a few feet from a collision course with Garon, a little contact is going to go a long way. He certainly is well outside of the crease when it occurs, so there shoudn't be any question there.

Yet another unfortunate situation that the Canes wind up on the wrong end of.

I also don't give peel a pass for the Staal penalty.

Maybe the most-compelling evidence of poor officiating is the way the players reacted in OT and after the game. We think we know what we saw, but they had angles we didn't and either were involved (or talked to teammates who were), and if they were going after the officials like that, it was poorly called.
I think we also look at who was flipping their wigs: probably our two most calm, cool and collected on the ice.

Officiating in the NHL needs help, and the first step of fixing a problem is admitting that there is a problem. Forslund hit on this in parts yesterday a lot between the STH skate in the morning and actually going so far as to calling the state of last night's game "ludicrous" on 99.9.

I think we all get that this isn't a fun sport to try to officiate. But if the NHL doesn't start doing something soon to try to put some consistency back in the game they're at risk of becoming the least watchable of pro sports.

Also: Boudreau is the latest to blow his top and likely cost himself lolfines to the league. I can't comment because I didn't watch it, and OT anyway.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:19 AM
jstaal
go canes go

wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Wow, not sure why I continue to watch this ****. Inept refs every game, my own team fails constantly, and even when they fail they can't even fail right. FML
this team hasnt failed, u must have watched a different hockey team last 20 games..

jstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Novacane

I'm sorry but when there is any contact made AT ALL right before a player runs into the goalie, the blame can not be put on the attacking player. If you say Stamkos didn't shove him fine, but he turned Sutter's body by placing his hand on Sutter's back and stick at his waist. So with Sutter being essentially coralled, what else is he supposed to do with Stamkos right on his back. I know it was a split second decision made by the ref, but you can not say the blame lies on Sutter in this instance.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
jstaal
go canes go

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
It is possible to play a great game and still make a gaffe to give up the game winner. I never said the guy was bad last night but on the game winner he looked like a guy who had already given up and assumed the Ning would score. The pass should have never made it to Stamkos but Staal stood up and relaxed. Your captain cant do that even if he has played 24 min. He certainly has plenty of energy to hunt the refs after the goal. Roddy would have passed out on the ice before he did what Staal did.

That said it was a good game to lose with the Isles winning yesterday. Too bad TOR actually showed up for Carlyle
this.. Great point on staal, he was lazy on that ot winner

Old
03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
jstaal
go canes go

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Don't put yourself In position to let the refs make a difference. We let them back in it. When you watch the 10 minute version of the highlights, our 3rd goal is basically the last canes highlight of the game. The rest is Tampa in our end working us over. Too much talent for that.
For whole first period and mid through 2nd, canes had lazy passes, bolts had more energy, ur dead on

Old
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinz View Post
For whole first period and mid through 2nd, canes had lazy passes, bolts had more energy, ur dead on
Well, no one on here is going to dispute that we has/have/had our moments of hairball gagging for shifts or for entire periods.

But the fact of the matter is we did not lose the game in the 2nd period. We didn't lose it in the 3rd. We had the control of the game in OT -- when the game was still winnable by us -- ripped away so that we could see Stamkos put in a goal 4 on 3 in what will surely be nothing but a permanent fixture of this week's NHL highlight reel.

So I'm a bit irate, and understandably really. I don't pay the Canes thousands of dollars a year to watch Tim Peel and Francois St Laurent make wrong calls that dramatically decide the outcome of the game.

Lol, roughing, now watch this Stamkos highlight.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I'm sorry but when there is any contact made AT ALL right before a player runs into the goalie, the blame can not be put on the attacking player. If you say Stamkos didn't shove him fine, but he turned Sutter's body by placing his hand on Sutter's back and stick at his waist. So with Sutter being essentially coralled, what else is he supposed to do with Stamkos right on his back. I know it was a split second decision made by the ref, but you can not say the blame lies on Sutter in this instance.
Number one rule of hockey. You're responsible for your actions. If you watch the initial highlight of the play, if anything stamkos is trying to pull him back, contact was extremely light. Accidental high stick are still high sticks. Drilling the goalie is still drilling the goalie even if you tried to move. He came in too hot, driving the net is important but if you do it all the time eventually this happens. It's a tough moment, and when the goalie does take a legit hit you're always safe calling the guy. Sutter is watching that play today and knowing its on him whether or not I was his intention to make contact - which seems obvious he didnt. Maybe the ref sucked all game but that call was legit and a 50/50 play. Just as likely to go our way next time. You always quickly forget the little plays that went your way, but everyone freaks when it goes against.

These are the best refs in the world. It doesn't get better. They've had a lot of turnover and it takes years for these guys to become truly seasoned at this level.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Anton Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Because he did well in his first game back?
It's all about Karma.

Anton Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Maurice View Post
It's all about Karma.
...What? LaRose shouldn't be playing for the Canes because he had a good first game back, but Karma says he shouldn't play for the Canes?

Is that really your argument?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote