HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2004, 04:00 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Brian Boyle

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/...102804aar.html

interesting article on him...

so far he has 3 poitns in 5 games. not great, but an improvement from last year. he can do much better right now, so im hoping he can turn up the heat. this really is the year for him to prove to the organization that he's legit

Old
11-08-2004, 04:49 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Sounds like a good character guy, even if he doesn't light it up. Good article, thanks KPD!

Old
11-08-2004, 04:54 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

His sophmore year? I'd say give him some more time.

Heck, look at Adam Pineault. Last year 4 goal and 4 assists for BC This year he is tearing up the Q with 12 goals and 10 assists in 21 games.

11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

ok, i think i may have worded it incorrectly, but i think this year is really important in showing that he can do more then just flash a few moments everyonce in a while and that he can really play against people his own size. i really think it's important that this guy shows he can step up to be a leader this year. he has the tools, just has to make it happen.

Old
11-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
ok, i think i may have worded it incorrectly, but i think this year is really important in showing that he can do more then just flash a few moments everyonce in a while and that he can really play against people his own size. i really think it's important that this guy shows he can step up to be a leader this year. he has the tools, just has to make it happen.
There arent to many people his sizeplaying hockey. LOL But ofcourse I know what you meant...I'm not to worried because even if he does struggle its pretty obvious it takes longer for bigger players to pan out into power forwards.

Old
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
There arent to many people his sizeplaying hockey. LOL But ofcourse I know what you meant...I'm not to worried because even if he does struggle its pretty obvious it takes longer for bigger players to pan out into power forwards.
Very true. All I'm looking for is forward progress every year he plays.

Old
11-24-2004, 12:24 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

so this guy is still 4 points in 9 games... i konw he's supposed to be a project, but i mean when are we going to start worrying whether or not he'lll reach his potential. if he can barely cut it in the NCAA now, what makes us think the NHL in the years down the line is going to be any better?

Old
11-24-2004, 12:35 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
so this guy is still 4 points in 9 games... i konw he's supposed to be a project, but i mean when are we going to start worrying whether or not he'lll reach his potential. if he can barely cut it in the NCAA now, what makes us think the NHL in the years down the line is going to be any better?
Two words - Yanick Lehoux

In all seriousness - at this point in time the Kings prospect pool has looked better than it's been in ages - maybe ever. I'd give the Kings the benefit of the doubt - at least for another year. Let the kid develop and see what happens.

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-24-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old
11-24-2004, 12:48 AM
maximil

Your allowed to gamble once if you have 3 first round picks right?

Let's just wait and see.

Old
11-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Remember when the Avs had all those first round picks in the 1998 draft? And who was one of those selections? Scott Parker

Old
11-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Remember the kid is just a sophmore on a really good team. The guy also had 8 points all of last year. The dude is 18 and still growing into that 6-7 body. In all honesty what did you expect when they drafted him? The talking heads all said he was a project with an amount of risk/reward. Getting a point every other game is not barely cutting it when you're a 2nd year player.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Getting a point every other game is not barely cutting it when you're a 2nd year player.
ya i realize that, but i think it's barely cutting it when you're a first rounder in the 2003 draft. the question now is whether or not we would draft him in the first round again with statistics like this. i do'nt know, but i am beginning to wonder if he's ever going to break out. am i too impatient with him, ya, probably, but at the same time u gota remember we gambled on a high school player. almost eveyrone else had already done great things in the NCAA, Q, or whatever upper league, this guy proved that he could play well against high school players and we were hoping it would transition to players with the same size. so far it hasn't, which concerns me and i'm sure it should start concerning other people too.

i'm sure with management's gamble on boyle, they didn't pick him thinking he would get 8 points last year and just a few poitns more this year. they thought with the intent that he'd be one of the top players on one of the top teams. if anything, look at patrick eaves. he was drafted #29 by ottawa and is totally dominating the league. not once did he dip below point per game ratio and is leading the team right now.

i don't get to watch the games, so maybe i'm missing something, but from the looks of it, i don't think boyle is doing as much as we would like him to be doing. so how much time are we going to give him before we start looking at him and going "ok, you've had enough time, what are you doing?"

Old
11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Remember when the Avs had all those first round picks in the 1998 draft? And who was one of those selections? Scott Parker
that's because he's EL SHERIFF

Old
11-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Fat Elvis

KPD, how good would you like Boyle to become realistically? 2nd line center? At what age would you like Boyle to achieve that level of play? In 3-4 years? What would you like from him in the future?

For me, I want him to get better each year. He is a 4 years of college, 2 years of AHL away. If by the end of next season he still is getting 10 points a year, than I'll start getting worried. Not now imo. I'm more worried about Karlsson than Boyle at this point.

Old
11-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If Boyle can progress like we hope he should, I think he can turn out to be a Keith Primeau type player. If you've followed Keith Primeau's career since he was drafted #3 overall, you'd remember the years many thought he was overrated and shouldn't have been selected where he was in the draft.
Statistically, Primeau has had an up and down career, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php3?pid=725

But in the long run, he has been a valuable asset and has evolved into a solid two-way performer. If you only observed Primeau's first season in juniors, you wouldn't have thought of him becoming such an impact player, and people would have laughed if ya told him he'd be a top 3 selection in a deep draft.

Basically what I'm saying is... give the kid some time before ya start labeling him a dissapointment, like many critics did to Primeau.

Old
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
If Boyle can progress like we hope he should, I think he can turn out to be a Keith Primeau type player. If you've followed Keith Primeau's career since he was drafted #3 overall, you'd remember the years many thought he was overrated and shouldn't have been selected where he was in the draft.
Statistically, Primeau has had an up and down career, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php3?pid=725

But in the long run, he has been a valuable asset and has evolved into a solid two-way performer. If you only observed Primeau's first season in juniors, you wouldn't have thought of him becoming such an impact player, and people would have laughed if ya told him he'd be a top 3 selection in a deep draft.

Basically what I'm saying is... give the kid some time before ya start labeling him a dissapointment, like many critics did to Primeau.
Great points. Remember that larger prospects take longer to develop while little guys top out early.
Assuming this trend is accurate, imagine how sick Frolov could be by the time he is 25

Old
11-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Matt13

Part of what make Primeau, Primeau, is his aggresiveness. Boyle seems timid for his size to make him a hard as nails player like Primeau.

Old
11-24-2004, 03:58 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
KPD, how good would you like Boyle to become realistically? 2nd line center? At what age would you like Boyle to achieve that level of play? In 3-4 years? What would you like from him in the future?
For me, I want him to get better each year. He is a 4 years of college, 2 years of AHL away. If by the end of next season he still is getting 10 points a year, than I'll start getting worried. Not now imo. I'm more worried about Karlsson than Boyle at this point.

realistically, i would like boyle to become at least a physical 2nd line center. i think he can achieve more, but i think realistically, he can reach this position in his career IF he gets better. i think he can should easily reach that point in 7-9 years. the problem is, i am wondering whether or not boyle's career is reflecting the potential to reach this point. so far, disappointingly, he has not. now don't mistake me, i am not calling him a bust nor anything even close to that sort. i am, however, disappointed in his first season and the start of his second and am beginning to wonder if we should begin to worry about his development.

Quote:

primeau still produced, boyle didn't. boyle has yet to prove he can play agaisnt competition that are his own size. THAT is what worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
Part of what make Primeau, Primeau, is his aggresiveness. Boyle seems timid for his size to make him a hard as nails player like Primeau.
i agree completely. boyle is a bit of a pansy and he needs to toughen up and use his size. i don't agree with the "in high school he kept gettin penalties so they told him to tone it down" argument because it seems as though he hasn't toughened up one bit even after one year of NCAA hockey. and even if that argument was true and that was what caused him to go easy on everyone, when is he ogin to start hittin anything that moves?

again, im just wondering if we should begin to worry about his development. seeing his first year in NCAA and 10 games of sophmore year amount to a total of around 12 points SHOULD make our eyebrows raise at least a little.

Old
11-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Slats432

Since I have only seen him once, I don't have a large sampling to go by, but the big guy that doesn't really get involved is very accurate. He needs to get tougher, meaner and a willingness to go into traffic more.

I don't know what his skating was like before, but it was decent. His all around skills were OK...but he just didn't seem to do anything with them.

Old
11-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Fat Elvis

I hear ya KPD, but it may be premature to worry. He has time to learn how to use his body, at his age it's hard to realize what he has to do and how to do it. 18 year olds always think they know, but you and I know they don't. You always hear about the exception when a player is mature beyond his age. Brian may need that maturation process to happen before he understands how he needs to play ( which is using his body to beat the crap out of others). He'll learn more as this season goes along.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:27 PM
FlyersFan10*

Just an observation, but Boyle seems an awful lot like David Stekel. Speaking of Stekel, did he ever turn pro or did the Kings even sign him? As well, what became of Jens Karlsen (sp?)?

Old
11-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Just an observation, but Boyle seems an awful lot like David Stekel. Speaking of Stekel, did he ever turn pro or did the Kings even sign him? As well, what became of Jens Karlsen (sp?)?
Steckel is currently on the Monarchs roster, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=54471 , and nothing about Boyle reminds me of Steckel. While Jens is still in Sweden, playing for a team whos name escapes me, not Frolunda, but a team that he was loaned to....

Old
11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Steckels problems were attitude related and from the reports from our Monarchs friends, especially King Blazer, they have subsided.
Karlsson trapped on a finesse team so he gets no ice time.

Old
11-25-2004, 07:54 AM
lakonigla

In three weeks Brian Boyle will be 20 (not 18), he's not that young. And it looks like he's still just playing on the fourth line for Boston College and in the last games he's not getting the PP-time of the first games (he scored both his goals on the PP). At this point a guy like Ryan Murphy (Kings 185th pick in 2002) sems to have at least the same value for the team than Boyle and that's can't be a good sign. Sure its unfair to compare both and its still time for Boyle but I think there are some bad signs to worry. I guess next season could be very interesting. Some of the BC top six forwards will leave after their senior year and it should be Boyle to get a top six forward position and prove us doubters wrong. Hopefully he will.

Old
11-25-2004, 08:16 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
From a BC fan who has seen Boyle 30+ times, i think he is too timid to get very far. His skating was remarkably bad at the begining of last season and has improved very much. He still has to get used to his frame, as he has a "Boyle Fall" once a game; when he falls doing very simple things, like skating foreward. He can become a 3rd line center for the Kings if he starts to hit.

Closed Thread