HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brian Boyle

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
HEY!! What exactly is my problem?
Closet Ducks fan?

Old
03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Closet Ducks fan?
Albi, don't wish that on anybody. Being a Ducks fan is a sin before God. The mere thought of any professing Kings fan being a closet Ducks fan (read heretic) is enough to rouse my unmitigated ire. Then again, I was watching the Kings game from '94 when Gretz scored goal number 802 and I was almost in tears I missed the game so much. That's really f***ing pathetic, I know, but let's face it, I bleed the black and purple.

Old
03-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I bleed the black and purple.
As do I.....unless of course we switch back to the purple and gold......

Old
03-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
As do I.....unless of course we switch back to the purple and gold......
Same here guys.
I also miss the Kings so much.

Even though lately, in this period of the year, we're used to play our last games of the season...

Old
03-24-2005, 09:18 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Same here guys.
I also miss the Kings so much.

Even though lately, in this period of the year, we're used to play our last games of the season...
In Canada the two longest months are July and August. The only two months where hockey isn't the number one thing in sports. Let's face it, the lockout coverage took precedence over all other sports up here in Canada and bless them for it. I don't care about about basketball or baseball, give me back my puck!

Old
03-24-2005, 03:09 PM
McSorley 33

Hey dudes, stick to Boyle only talk. Anything else can find it's way to the Kings Lounge thread. Thank you much!

Old
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
McSorley 33 is right get back on topic guys

Old
03-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Goal number 19 for Boyle to tie the game for BC. They have looked really flat so far. Boyle also got leveled by a much smaller player about five minutes before. I'm not sure he was expecting the hit though.

I just saw the replay again, and he definitely wasn't expecting it. Board went off the boards and went right between his legs as he was trying to get his stick on it and move up ice he got hit.

03-25-2005, 04:26 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Goal number 19 for Boyle to tie the game for BC. They have looked really flat so far. Boyle also got leveled by a much smaller player about five minutes before. I'm not sure he was expecting the hit though.

I just saw the replay again, and he definitely wasn't expecting it. Board went off the boards and went right between his legs as he was trying to get his stick on it and move up ice he got hit.
Thanks Legionnaire! Aside from being leveled, has Boyle looked okay? Or could you describe the goal?

And, does anyone know if we could get some audio on the game? Thanks!

Old
03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

PP. Pass comes to Boyle at the lower right circle/slot Boyle takes it and sends a one-time wrister to the top left corner. Nice pass, very nice shot.

Old
03-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Try here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegebroadcast/teams/bam

Old
03-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Albi

Game over, Boston won 5-4
Colorado beat Colgate 6-5

Old
03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There is a discussion over on the other Kings board speculating on why the Kings called the timeout when it was their turn to pick. I don't post there so I will just keep this topic alive and post my thoughts on the "time-out" and what happened before making the Boyle selection.
I (among many others) firmly believe that the Kings were set to pick Anthony Stewart, until the Florida Panthers traded up and selected Stewart one pick ahead of the Kings (and Florida probably knew or had an idea the Kings would be selecting Anthony).
The Kings probably had other options in case Stewart wasn't available, and one of those options was trading down and acquiring more picks, but the catch is, it is likely that the player they want might not be available with a later pick. If Stewart was still available, I don't think the Kings were going to call the timeout, but once he was gone, they decided to work the phones one more time to see if they could get a deal they liked, where they could still select the players they wanted.
The scouts had Stewart ranked above Boyle and Tambellini, but even if the Kings traded down, and Boyle or Tambellini were still available with their later picks, the Kings would have ended up selecting them anyway.

Old
03-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
There is a discussion over on the other Kings board speculating on why the Kings called the timeout when it was their turn to pick. I don't post there so I will just keep this topic alive and post my thoughts on the "time-out" and what happened before making the Boyle selection.
I (among many others) firmly believe that the Kings were set to pick Anthony Stewart, until the Florida Panthers traded up and selected Stewart one pick ahead of the Kings (and Florida probably knew or had an idea the Kings would be selecting Anthony).
The Kings probably had other options in case Stewart wasn't available, and one of those options was trading down and acquiring more picks, but the catch is, it is likely that the player they want might not be available with a later pick. If Stewart was still available, I don't think the Kings were going to call the timeout, but once he was gone, they decided to work the phones one more time to see if they could get a deal they liked, where they could still select the players they wanted.
The scouts had Stewart ranked above Boyle and Tambellini, but even if the Kings traded down, and Boyle or Tambellini were still available with their later picks, the Kings would have ended up selecting them anyway.
The Kings did want Stewart. I thik Tampa had the pick and was trying to get us to outbid Florida for it. The Kings knew Boyle and Tambellini would still be available

I aksed Al Murray a while ago about the timeout. They knew they wanted Boyle and they were going to trade the 27th overall. In the NHL draft once it's your turn you can't trade the pick. The Kings wanted a roster player for the 27th pick. A few teams, including Montreal, offered picks but no roster players so they held onto the pick.

Old
03-26-2005, 05:53 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
The Kings did want Stewart. I thik Tampa had the pick and was trying to get us to outbid Florida for it. The Kings knew Boyle and Tambellini would still be available

I aksed Al Murray a while ago about the timeout. They knew they wanted Boyle and they were going to trade the 27th overall. In the NHL draft once it's your turn you can't trade the pick. The Kings wanted a roster player for the 27th pick. A few teams, including Montreal, offered picks but no roster players so they held onto the pick.
And I heard that from someone else who works for the Kings. They were going to take Stewart and Boyle but when Stewart was gone they weren't sure if they wanted to take Tambellini or trade the pick...it looks like they made the right decision.

Old
03-26-2005, 09:35 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
And I heard that from someone else who works for the Kings. They were going to take Stewart and Boyle but when Stewart was gone they weren't sure if they wanted to take Tambellini or trade the pick...it looks like they made the right decision.
boyle and stewart is alot better imo than boyle and tambellini...

03-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Tambs is one of my favprite KINGS prospect. From what I read he plays a very similar game to Camm's. The future looks very bright for the KINGS: Tambs, Boyle, Brown, Lehoux, Camm's and Tukonen<---That's just some of the forwards.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
boyle and stewart is alot better imo than boyle and tambellini...
I totally disagree.

Old
03-27-2005, 01:15 PM
T2M

I don't know. Stewart does have that great physical game, but he sure doesn't have Tambellini's upside. Florida homers will tell you that Stewart played on the fourth line at this year's world juniors out of selflessness and for the good of the team. The truth is that he just didn't play well, and for an "offensive" prospect, I haven't seen encouraging numbers playing in the OHL. His upside seems to be a top notch second/third liner, but he's a very safe bet to be an NHLer. Boyle and Tambs are bigger risks, but right now, they both look like top 6ers and with Boyle, man, sky's the limit. A year ago I would have said Stewart over Tambellini. Now..... it's close, depends on what you want. Remember, not all of the future will be playing for us. Do the "possible lines" thing:

Frolov - Cammy - Brown
Pushy - Boyle - Tukonen
Tambs - Lehoux - Karlsson (and I'm betting on Karlsson making it as a third liner)

That's a nasty top 9 right there, but it's also not making the most of Tambs. Insert Stewart onto that third line and man.... that's pretty mean. At this point the least likely of those 9 to make it Karlsson, which means we have to find room for 8 top notch forwards? It's a great problem to have, but sometimes you want an exceptional third liner over a good second liner.

Ahhhhhhh.... the joys of player management.

T2M

Old
03-27-2005, 01:41 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
I don't know. Stewart does have that great physical game, but he sure doesn't have Tambellini's upside. Florida homers will tell you that Stewart played on the fourth line at this year's world juniors out of selflessness and for the good of the team. The truth is that he just didn't play well, and for an "offensive" prospect, I haven't seen encouraging numbers playing in the OHL. His upside seems to be a top notch second/third liner, but he's a very safe bet to be an NHLer. Boyle and Tambs are bigger risks, but right now, they both look like top 6ers and with Boyle, man, sky's the limit. A year ago I would have said Stewart over Tambellini. Now..... it's close, depends on what you want. Remember, not all of the future will be playing for us. Do the "possible lines" thing:

Frolov - Cammy - Brown
Pushy - Boyle - Tukonen
Tambs - Lehoux - Karlsson (and I'm betting on Karlsson making it as a third liner)

That's a nasty top 9 right there, but it's also not making the most of Tambs. Insert Stewart onto that third line and man.... that's pretty mean. At this point the least likely of those 9 to make it Karlsson, which means we have to find room for 8 top notch forwards? It's a great problem to have, but sometimes you want an exceptional third liner over a good second liner.

Ahhhhhhh.... the joys of player management.

T2M
That concept is missed by many fans. There often isn't a "right" pick. All picks have risks...it's impossible to pick a player with no risk. The question is always WHICH risk to take.

Old
03-27-2005, 06:21 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
That concept is missed by many fans. There often isn't a "right" pick. All picks have risks...it's impossible to pick a player with no risk. The question is always WHICH risk to take.
True, the only player I can ever think of who was "risk free" would be Lemieux, and we all know how often a pick like him comes along. And then there's always risk of injury. As long as a player plays, there's risk of injury. Chances triple in a Kings jersey.

Getting back to my post above though, that's the downside of the BPA approach, and it also goes to show how dynamic a team has to be. That's the problem with Cammy, Tambs and Pushy. They're all NHL talent in subsized bodies. The Avs did well with some smaller bodies, but we've also got some talented big guys. It'll be an interesting four years to watch the team grow together. Here's hoping DT can work some cap magic.

Old
03-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
Getting back to my post above though, that's the downside of the BPA approach, and it also goes to show how dynamic a team has to be. That's the problem with Cammy, Tambs and Pushy. They're all NHL talent in subsized bodies. The Avs did well with some smaller bodies, but we've also got some talented big guys. It'll be an interesting four years to watch the team grow together. Here's hoping DT can work some cap magic.
I guess what we hope for is a return to 80's end to end hockey. Cammy, Tambs and Push would be well suited for that.

I think Tambs is going to do great in the NHL. He already has a good defensive game and he one one of the quickest and most accurate shots I have ever seen. At the first prospect camp he attended everyone jumped from the Kanko bandwagon to the Tambellini bandwagon.

Closed Thread