HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2004, 12:06 AM
penkil2

vCash: 500
I've seen Boyle play many times and I think LA wasted a 1st round pick. His skill is questionable to say the least. The only thing he seems to be good at is standing in front of the goalie so someone else can score. If LA needs a wall, Boyle is your man.

Old
11-26-2004, 02:00 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

aw man, tha'ts awful to hear. oh well, i guess we'll just have to see how he is as he devleops

Old
11-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Fat Elvis

Well I guess I'll stop defending him right about now, but we do have a couple years for him to take some magic pills and turn into superman.

Old
11-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Well I guess I'll stop defending him right about now, but we do have a couple years for him to take some magic pills and turn into superman.
I'll continue defending him...Greechbc9 said he has improved his skating and thats the key to just keep improving...this guy is a giant on the ice and once he balk ups a little and starts hitting people WATCH OUT!!!!!!!! Remember he's probably the true definition of a "project" that has to tell you to give him time. After his Junior year he is still not showing promise then I'll start to worry...

Old
11-26-2004, 03:03 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
ya i realize that, but i think it's barely cutting it when you're a first rounder in the 2003 draft. the question now is whether or not we would draft him in the first round again with statistics like this. i do'nt know, but i am beginning to wonder if he's ever going to break out. am i too impatient with him, ya, probably, but at the same time u gota remember we gambled on a high school player. almost eveyrone else had already done great things in the NCAA, Q, or whatever upper league, this guy proved that he could play well against high school players and we were hoping it would transition to players with the same size. so far it hasn't, which concerns me and i'm sure it should start concerning other people too.

i'm sure with management's gamble on boyle, they didn't pick him thinking he would get 8 points last year and just a few poitns more this year. they thought with the intent that he'd be one of the top players on one of the top teams. if anything, look at patrick eaves. he was drafted #29 by ottawa and is totally dominating the league. not once did he dip below point per game ratio and is leading the team right now.

i don't get to watch the games, so maybe i'm missing something, but from the looks of it, i don't think boyle is doing as much as we would like him to be doing. so how much time are we going to give him before we start looking at him and going "ok, you've had enough time, what are you doing?"
And yet Flordia Panthers fans aren't upset with Anthony Stewart, even though he wasn't a point per game player in the OHL. In all seriousness, I don't think that every first rounder has to be a point per game player. If we end up with a Joel Otto kind of guy, a huge third line center who blocks shots, plays mean, wins faceoffs, intimidates opposition out of Boyle (which I think is more likely then the second coming of Allison) then we win. Remember, 2003's 26th pick of the first round, is 1993's 2nd pick of the second round and 1990's 6th second rounder. That said, realize that "first round" pick isn't that big. Top 5 or top 10, yeah, then I'd expect him to live up to your expectations.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Brian scored in saturday 4-1 Boston win over Northeastern (he centered the Eagles 4th line with). Also Ryan Murphy scored.

Boxscore
http://www.collegehockeystats.com/04...s/mbc_noe1.n27

Old
11-29-2004, 08:46 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
And yet Flordia Panthers fans aren't upset with Anthony Stewart, even though he wasn't a point per game player in the OHL. In all seriousness, I don't think that every first rounder has to be a point per game player. If we end up with a Joel Otto kind of guy, a huge third line center who blocks shots, plays mean, wins faceoffs, intimidates opposition out of Boyle (which I think is more likely then the second coming of Allison) then we win. Remember, 2003's 26th pick of the first round, is 1993's 2nd pick of the second round and 1990's 6th second rounder. That said, realize that "first round" pick isn't that big. Top 5 or top 10, yeah, then I'd expect him to live up to your expectations.
i don't think we should have gotten a big soft 3rd liner out of the 26th pick. there was plenty of talent to go around AFTER boyle that would have been great. i already mentioned eaves and probably dont even have to go into begeron, sullivan, or howard or hell even pushkarev. it's not about points either, it's about his style of play that worries me too. this guy plays soft and is no where near attaining that mean streak u speak about. if he could hit, i would be more at ease, but as of now, we have a soft big guy who apparently can't skate and can't contribute on the score sheet.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:53 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
i don't think we should have gotten a big soft 3rd liner out of the 26th pick. there was plenty of talent to go around AFTER boyle that would have been great. i already mentioned eaves and probably dont even have to go into begeron, sullivan, or howard or hell even pushkarev. it's not about points either, it's about his style of play that worries me too. this guy plays soft and is no where near attaining that mean streak u speak about. if he could hit, i would be more at ease, but as of now, we have a soft big guy who apparently can't skate and can't contribute on the score sheet.
Eaves won't ammount to much in the NHL

O'Sullivan has some great potential. We should have taken him.

Bergeron. Nobody but the Bruins knew about him. He was slated to go as a 3rd or 4th round pick. The B's scouts did a top notch job on that one.

Howard. Probably should have taken him. He was my second round pick in the Kings mock draft

11-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
And yet Flordia Panthers fans aren't upset with Anthony Stewart, even though he wasn't a point per game player in the OHL.

Yet people never get mad at players who are tough as nails and are fun to watch.

Ian laperriere was never a player that scored much, he had heart and hit everything that moved and the people loved him....... which is what kind of player Stewart is going to be with more scoring.

Last edited by Matt13: 11-29-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old
11-29-2004, 12:36 PM
T2M

Quote:
From what I've heard and read he plays a fairly physical game for a US college player. True, he's not Brooks Oprik or Mike Komisarek but I haven't heard that Boyle's soft. It's not like he plays in a league where he can get away with dirty play. He knows that if he plays dirty, he's not in the lineup next week and that's a lot of downtime for somebody who has to play. Also, from what I heard Boyle's a quality skater. Maybe he's not Brady Murray or Jeff Tambellini but lots of other guys aren't either. I still stand by the pick, I just wish he'd be in junior right now, but maybe college is the best place for him. Unfortunately, I think he's one of those guys who will hang in there until he's 22, start to make some waves, and at 25 look awesome.

Old
11-30-2004, 01:06 AM
maximil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
From what I've heard and read he plays a fairly physical game for a US college player. True, he's not Brooks Oprik or Mike Komisarek but I haven't heard that Boyle's soft. It's not like he plays in a league where he can get away with dirty play. He knows that if he plays dirty, he's not in the lineup next week and that's a lot of downtime for somebody who has to play. Also, from what I heard Boyle's a quality skater. Maybe he's not Brady Murray or Jeff Tambellini but lots of other guys aren't either. I still stand by the pick, I just wish he'd be in junior right now, but maybe college is the best place for him. Unfortunately, I think he's one of those guys who will hang in there until he's 22, start to make some waves, and at 25 look awesome.
This is pretty much what I think about it. I've heard some negative comments from BC fans but I'll put my money on the Kings scouting staff over a bunch of college hockey fans any day of the week.

Your crazy if you think Eaves won't be able to make an impact. The only thing that worries me about his game is the number of injuries he has sustained.

Old
12-11-2004, 03:31 AM
maximil

I've been thinking about it and I think if this guy shows any scoring touch it's going to be a bonus. With his potential size and if he can improve his skating ability and agility there is no question in my mind he has the potential to be a Handzus type player with proper training.

Old
12-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil
I've been thinking about it and I think if this guy shows any scoring touch it's going to be a bonus. With his potential size and if he can improve his skating ability and agility there is no question in my mind he has the potential to be a Handzus type player with proper training.
Yes, with proper training. If the Kings were smart, they'd hire a coach just for him. Watch his games in Boston, help to change his flaws, and work with him in the offseason.

Edit: Whoops I just realized that it would probably violate NCAA rules.

I think the main problem with BB right now is that he's not using his size. He's going to be much more aggressive if he's going to make it at the next level.

Old
12-11-2004, 10:52 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M

I completely agree with your post. I think people want him to fill into his body and everything it just takes time.

I feel for the tall people......

Old
12-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Mxpunk

When I saw him at the Development Camp, I saw glimpses of potential, but like Steckel, there were loooooong shifts of just coasting and skating in circles. I was not a big fan of him, however, I hope he will mature and bring some good offense to the table with his size. Remember, Bertuzzi was criticized for being too soft for a big guy. However, he finally lit a fire under his butt (maybe a little too much with the Moore incident) and became a dominant force. I don't think Boyle will ever match Bertuzzi, but he may be able to leave a slight mark in the NHL.

Old
12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
TwzKing

L-o-n-g T-e-r-m.....................

Old
12-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Brian scores as the Eagles bet Cornell 4-2

Old
12-29-2004, 10:03 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
thats great...

but the 25th pick in the 2003 draft (the selection before the kings boyle pick) scored 2 goals for canada at the world juniors yestereday...*sigh*

just wondering what would have been...

12-29-2004, 10:35 AM
palffytofrovlov

I wanted the Kings to draft Stewart... but Florida nabbed him before... But Boyle is improving he has already matched his goal total of last year!

Old
12-29-2004, 09:24 PM
maximil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
thats great...

but the 25th pick in the 2003 draft (the selection before the kings boyle pick) scored 2 goals for canada at the world juniors yestereday...*sigh*

just wondering what would have been...

Old
12-30-2004, 04:44 AM
TwzKing

Im happy with Brain, again I say he's a LONG TERM project.

You guys complain that he's not good now.....

you know why.... 'cuz he's a LONG TERM project.

He's not score like the other prospects......

you know why .... 'cuz he's a LONG TERM project.

Why is he on the third line

you know why ..... 'cuz he's a LONG TERM project.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Fat Elvis

I think the problem some people have with him are that they are part of the instant gratification generation. So if they don't get results right away, they don't know what to do. Oh no, so and so scored a bunch of goals last week in a game vs his peers. Big woop, doesn't mean squat in the Big Picture. If this kid continues to improve each week, who knows what he can eventually become? Some of these other kids tearing it up may amount to pooh when it's all said and done. So I recommend that we all do something that you should be used to by now...wait.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Something to chew on

Bigger players take longer to develop while smaller players peak early and start to decline in their late 20's

Old
12-30-2004, 11:16 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

it's ntoa bout instant gratification, it's about comparing boyle with those who were drafted behind him and noting whether or not he has come out as strongly as kings management originally hoped for. in both those cases, boyle has been weaker then many, if not most, of those who were drafted behind him and his progress in point production has been from little to a little more.

yes, he's a long term project, but is he showing signs of blooming in the future, although yes, he's improving, i'd have to say so far i don't think so. you can twist and turn and give excuses for his 8 points all you want, but the fact is, he's has yet to prove he can be a successful player who can play against people near his own size. kings management took a gamble with him when they picked a high school player, but i am positive they did not think his production would be so low. not to mention his reviews from boston fans weren't exactly positive. so would he be drafted int hje same position had we had the draft again, absolutely not. long term or what not, he has to show SOME sort of potential on the scoresheet, especially since hes' playin against NCAA.

Old
12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Fat Elvis

You're right KPD, he stinks. He's a sophmore playing on a team with a returning crop of junior and seniors on a top 4 team in the nation. He is getting more and more ice time each week and has equaled his point production with 2/5 of the season to go. You're right in that you can't see his future blooming now, because this is the present. What did you hear about this kid that suggested that he would dominate college hockey starting this year and become Lindros/Thorton/Primeau by the time he was a junior in college? All we have been told is that he is a huge kid that that is athletic and will take time to hone his skills with his frame and may become a force to be dealt with. Those picked right behind him have done squat in the pros and may never do squat. So pick up your gameboy and wait 3-4 more years and then cry about how this or that player is so much better and we could of had them instead. Wait...how hard is it to wait. Some of you are just boobs

Closed Thread