HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carlyle for Adams! - Leafs win 3-1 in Montreal

Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Jerkini

vCash: 500
Highlight of the night was Cherry ripping Burke a new one.

As for the victory, i'll take it.. I won't put much solace in it considering how atrocious this Montreal team is.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Still with guys like you I will never ever undrestand!!!

Did we get the best player to date??
did we get a guy in the top five in scoring?
did we get a top playmaker for his position..
did we get a guy that scores more than anyone in the las 5 years?

What in Gods name is the problem with you guys????

We got the absolute best player in the deal!!!
I'm with you,but the bolded part is incorrect.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

i know people are gonna debate the deal, but that doesn't mean YOU have to be the guy to do it!

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
You said "right now" if Burke was asked would he take Seguin, Knight, Hamilton for Kessel. RIGHT NOW, Kessel is easily the best player out of that group.

He added an elite goal scoring forward, who is consistently scoring 30 plus a season over the last 4 years. Not many players in the league can make that claim. He's a good athlete, and will likely continue to score at this rate for a long time. Not an easy thing to find these days. Easily worth the price Burke paid.

And people are so willing to give up much much much more than that like 7.8. mill for Nash who doesn't even do half as much as Kessel

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:04 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blendermf View Post

Winning, so that's what it feels like.

Take that tank nation!
Haven't seen this for such a long time,

Old
03-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Haven't seen this for such a long time,
This. Still haven't found a post of yours where I have disagreed with you.

Btw, what happened with your vCash? Got bankrupt?

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:07 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
The fact that you compared Kessel to Colton Orr is what made your statement dumb.
No not at all. That was necessary to show how ignorant it is to say such and such won the deal. The fact you don't quite get that makes me shake my head.

Quote:
You said "right now" if Burke was asked would he take Seguin, Knight, Hamilton for Kessel. RIGHT NOW, Kessel is easily the best player out of that group.
How useful has that trade been for the past couple years and RIGHT NOW if the team doesn't make the playoffs? Basically the team traded 2 1st and 2nd for more goals to not make the playoffs. Wow think that through. At some point 2 1st adn 2nd will mature and contribute as much as Kessel does. So the question, is that point before the leafs make the playoff with Kessel.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
i know people are gonna debate the deal, but that doesn't mean YOU have to be the guy to do it!
I'll talk hockey, trades, signings etc whenever someone brings it up. The media rehashes the trade every time we play the Bruins. It's going to be something discussed for years. Either ignore the conversation, or join in. If you don't want to join in, just move a long.

Quote:
And people are so willing to give up much much much more than that like 7.8. mill for Nash who doesn't even do half as much as Kessel
Nash in Toronto would make us a very, very dangerous team. He brings a special combination of size, and skill. Right now, the cost to acquire him is ridiculously high. Hopefully that price goes down considerably.

Last edited by LeeIs: 03-04-2012 at 12:23 AM.
LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dutch77
Predictable..

Connolly fighting?
Komisarek being a beast?
Jonas stopping pucks?
40 shots on net?
Top line blocking shots?
STECKEL?

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:09 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Still with guys like you I will never ever undrestand!!!

Did we get the best player to date??
did we get a guy in the top five in scoring?
did we get a top playmaker for his position..
did we get a guy that scores more than anyone in the las 5 years?

What in Gods name is the problem with you guys????

We got the absolute best player in the deal!!!

Did we get the best player in the deal....not likely.
Did we get a guy who is in the top 5 in scoring ...yes
Did we get a top playmaker for his position....nope
Did we get a guy that scores more than anyone in the last 5 years....nope Stamkos has more then him in 4 years

Nothing wrong with me as I tossed away my rose coloured glasses a long time ago.

We did not get the best player at all in the deal....Boston got two that are going to be better.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
This. Still haven't found a post of yours where I have disagreed with you.

Btw, what happened with your vCash? Got bankrupt?
Bet on the leafs, what else.

LeeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:15 AM
contour

Quote:
Bet on the leafs, what else.
All in on the Leafs too eh??? *points to vCash*

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:16 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
How useful has that trade been for the past couple years and RIGHT NOW if the team doesn't make the playoffs? Basically the team traded 2 1st and 2nd for more goals to not make the playoffs. Wow think that through. At some point 2 1st adn 2nd will mature and contribute as much as Kessel does. So the question, is that point before the leafs make the playoff with Kessel.
Kessel is 24. Do you think, as this team gets better, he will suddenly regress?

You're telling me, draft picks are more valuable than actual, established NHL players. The odds of Jared Knight making the NHL as a regular aren't unlikely, but he may never be a regular. Many 1st round picks never become NHL regulars. Even less 2nd round picks work out. Burke acquire a very young, very talented player for a group of maybes.

Burke moved draft picks to excellerate the rebuild. Looking at results on a season by season basis is very narrow view point. Burke is looking at not just this year, but having a team that competes every year with a deep system. But he also understands you need elite talent. The draft picks he had were maybes. Acquiring Kessel, he knew he was getting an elite, young forward already capable of playing at this level. A very legitimate roll of the dice.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:21 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
All in on the Leafs too eh??? *points to vCash*
yeah, forgot which game. one where they were supposed to win.. ....

funny you mention that, every time I see a leaf poster with 50 vcash i know exactly what happened.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:22 AM
diceman934

Quote:

You're telling me, draft picks are more valuable than actual, established NHL players. The odds of Jared Knight making the NHL as a regular aren't unlikely, but he may never be a regular. Many 1st round picks never become NHL regulars. Even less 2nd round picks work out. Burke acquire a very young, very talented player for a group of maybes.

Burke moved draft picks to excellerate the rebuild. Looking at results on a season by season basis is very narrow view point. Burke is looking at not just this year, but having a team that competes every year with a deep system. But he also understands you need elite talent. The draft picks he had were maybes. Acquiring Kessel, he knew he was getting an elite, young forward already capable of playing at this level. A very legitimate roll of the dice.
do not kid your self Jared Knight makes the NHL.....

Here is what Futures said:

Future

At approximately 205lbs, and with his simple, straight-line approach, Knight could potentially play in the NHL right now. But being able to play and being ready to contribute are two very different things and Knight may be better served by continuing to develop his offensive game in junior, and on the world stage for Team USA at the World Junior championships. Regardless of whether he makes the team this year or the year after, Knight has a very low bust factor and a bright future as a Ryan Callahan-type.

I understand why the trade was made but it was not required at that time nor did we get the better of the deal....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

funny you mention that, every time I see a leaf poster with 50 vcash i know exactly what happened.
you got me

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

what's going on in here?

Oh discussing the Kessel trade

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
number72

Quote:

The trade was made for an accelerated retool. Not a 5 year rebuild. A 5 year rebuild would be tanking and drafting players and making the playoffs a few years later.

The fact, the leafs had 3 years of Kessel with non playoff hockey is not much of an accelerated retool and is a waste of draft picks. Yes it was a roll of the dice and the fact the team is not making the playoffs is making the reward from the trade lower and the cost higher. And the cost of the trade continues to increase each year of no playoffs. And so the trade worsens each year this team does not make the playoffs.

Also the draft picks are safer approach because there is a risk that Kessel will walk when his contract expires to avoid the Toronto media. Or if he signs, it maybe for $7M. Now do you prefer $7M player or having low cost RFAs and entry contracts that 2 1st and 2nd provide (which will be less then 7M for a number of years and probably less then 5M)?

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:

I had the same, got vBankrupt twice already. Decided, won't bet any further on Leafs for this season. But then, Burke fired Wilson, and I bet on Leafs once again today. In the world of bankrupts, I am a bawse with 100+ vCash (funny because its significantly lower than the default of 500 )

Going all-in against Bruins again on Tuesdsay

Old
03-04-2012, 12:26 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
you got me
oh trust me there's a lot of us. you'll notice them more now. lol

Old
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
you got me
lol, same story? (about 50 vCash?)

Welcome to the Club.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
oh trust me there's a lot of us. you'll notice them more now. lol
hahaha just noticed you have 50 as well

Old
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Going all-in against Bruins again on tuesdsay
not a good idea
Quote:
lol, same story? (about 50 vCash?)

Welcome to the Club.
haha yea man

Old
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
what's going on in here?

Oh discussing the Kessel trade

yeah no kidding! The trade will never die until both seguin and kessel retire. maybe not even then.

Quote:
I had the same, got vBankrupt twice already. Decided, won't bet any further on Leafs for this season. But then, Burke fired Wilson, and I bet on Leafs once again today. In the world of bankrupts, I am a bawse with 100+ vCash (funny because its significantly lower than the default of 500 )

Going all-in against Bruins again on Tuesdsay
I don't know it feels kinda pointless betting 50.. but seeing how we can't really go lower than 5, then why not. maybe i'll throw it out against the bruins.... nah, i'll wait for the game after.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
do not kid your self Jared Knight makes the NHL.....

Here is what Futures said:

Future

At approximately 205lbs, and with his simple, straight-line approach, Knight could potentially play in the NHL right now. But being able to play and being ready to contribute are two very different things and Knight may be better served by continuing to develop his offensive game in junior, and on the world stage for Team USA at the World Junior championships. Regardless of whether he makes the team this year or the year after, Knight has a very low bust factor and a bright future as a Ryan Callahan-type.

I understand why the trade was made but it was not required at that time nor did we get the better of the deal....
Yeah, those scouting notes are nice and dandy and is only one person's opinion of a player; until the guy makes it to the NHL and becomes a good player, all those descriptions mean nothing. I went to the Marlies game today vs Rochester, watching Colborne, Ashton (whose a great skater and tenacious), Blacker and all those other "nice" prospects and 1st round picks from both teams, and NONE of them can hold a candle to the elite talent of a Phil Kessel. And the truth is, most of them will never be regulars at the NHL level.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote