HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cizikas Shows Promise After Call-up

Old
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Cizikas Shows Promise After Call-up

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...sles-1.3574461

"It's just kind of a dream come true," Cizikas said in the postgame locker room at the Wachovia Center on Thursday night. There was excitement but little exuberance in his voice. "Maybe if they came with a win, it'd be a better feeling."

"What's really impressed me is, he's playing against men now and he's playing the way he played in Bridgeport," Jack Capuano said. "He's in good position on the D-side of the puck, he's got a good, active stick. It's really good to see that from a young player."

03-04-2012, 12:00 AM
StrongIslanders90

Im very pleased with CC.... Kids a gamer and looks like he will be a good 2 way foward...

Could be a Tough and Gritty Frans Neilsen imo...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Cizikas has definitely impressed me so far. He looks like he belongs in the NHL. He was pretty touted coming into Juniors and he fell in his draft year because of his unfortunate incident. I think we got a steal in him.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:44 AM
IslandersFan17

CC has been as advertised and when you consider the pressure night in and night out on the team- the kid has done well.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

not helping in the size dept., but that's tolerable if he plays like an animal.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
not helping in the size dept., but that's tolerable if he plays like an animal.
He actually plays 'bigger' than he is, as compared to the many hulks on this team that play like 8 year old girls.

I have been very pleased with his intensity and positioning - looks to be a good 2/3 center down the road.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:16 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Agree about czikas but I think ullstrom is the one who has impressed me the most

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Agree about czikas but I think ullstrom is the one who has impressed me the most
Agreed.

He is older and much more experienced in the pro ranks though.

Do really like his game though. He looks like a kid who is gonna do some real good things once he's tested himself some more and knows what can be done in this league and what not.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
C77

I'm not surprised that Cizikas has performed well because he's a smart player.

He made a few plays on the boards yesterday that many NHL'ers **** up. It was in the 3rd period and it looked like Boston was going to clear the zone or come close to it and Cizikas kept the puck in both times and made the smart and simple play which for a rookie call-up is no small potatoes. That's the kind of stuff that coaches love but lots of people don't notice.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Like CC too. Impressed with his game. He and Ullstrom can skate and can forecheck hard.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Hipster Doofus

"Not helping in the size department"

Sports fans are obsessed with size

Last edited by PWJunior: 03-04-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Not allowed
Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
"Not helping in the size department"

Sports fans are obsessed with size
True but you look at a lot of the successful teams right now and they all have some good size to them. The old saying "a small guy has to prove he can play and a big guy has to prove he can't..."
But I totally agree with the statement earlier that Cizikas plays bigger then his actual size.
Also all Ullstrom needs is some confidence and he is going to be a solid NHL player.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
True but you look at a lot of the successful teams right now and they all have some good size to them. The old saying "a small guy has to prove he can play and a big guy has to prove he can't..."
But I totally agree with the statement earlier that Cizikas plays bigger then his actual size.
Also all Ullstrom needs is some confidence and he is going to be a solid NHL player.
All have some good size? Really? Really? Really?

Rangers, Red Wings, Chicago, Pheonix, ect. all feature players around our size as their primary go to guys. Hell, Patty Kane would be the smallest player on our roster.

Size is a myth that GM's figured out after all their big boys busted. Brian Burke tried building aorund size, it wasn't until he started bringing in some skill that his team got any good. Unfortunately they still have too many big slow unskilled d-men. Brian ****ing Burke doesn't believe in size and truculence as being the primary attributes anymore. Brian Burke.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
ziggy7716

Casey Cizikas

I have been impressed by his play so far. He seems to think the game well and is strong in each zone, isn't afraid to go into the corners as well. For the people so say these games our meaningless and gave up, just think of how valuable these games are for kids like Cizikas for their development. 5pts out with 15 or 16 games left, having him be in the locker room for these games I think will go a long way in his development.

Question is, do you want him on the opening night roster next season? It's only been a few games but he's earning a very hard look at the least.

Sry Mods. Totally missed this read lol.

Last edited by ziggy7716: 03-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.
ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
We Want The de

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I have been impressed by his play so far. He seems to think the game well and is strong in each zone, isn't afraid to go into the corners as well. For the people so say these games our meaningless and gave up, just think of how valuable these games are for kids like Cizikas for their development. 5pts out with 15 or 16 games left, having him be in the locker room for these games I think will go a long way in his development.

Question is, do you want him on the opening night roster next season? It's only been a few games but he's earning a very hard look at the least.

Sry Mods. Totally missed this read lol.
I'd want him on the roster only if he deserves the spot. Right now, the Isles really only have two centers that are a lock for next season, Tavares and Nielsen. I'm assuming they'll move Bailey to the wing permanently after his recent success and although Marty Reasoner is under contract, he's been so god awful I can't see him having a definite spot in the starting lineup.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:39 AM
helicecopter

Is Grabner expected to be back on Thursday and who is supposed to make room for him once he does?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:12 AM
miscreant
Charles in Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
I'd want him on the roster only if he deserves the spot. Right now, the Isles really only have two centers that are a lock for next season, Tavares and Nielsen. I'm assuming they'll move Bailey to the wing permanently after his recent success and although Marty Reasoner is under contract, he's been so god awful I can't see him having a definite spot in the starting lineup.
It's telling that they didn't just put Cizikas on the 4th line to take a look at him, and just move or scratch Reasoner. By putting him on the 2nd/3rd line and moving Bailey to RW, it seems like they're looking at whether he can handle that role going into next year. It also makes it look like they're planning on not having PAP back next year.

miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
Different players. Ullstrom has more speed and slicker, more reckless though (like Bergenheim). Cizikas is a much more poised player, I'd say a smarter player who can play in any situation.

I like both players but I think Cizikas has a better shot at a 10 year NHL career than Ullstrom. And I see Cizikas as closer to a regular NHL job than Ullstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscreant View Post
It's telling that they didn't just put Cizikas on the 4th line to take a look at him, and just move or scratch Reasoner. By putting him on the 2nd/3rd line and moving Bailey to RW, it seems like they're looking at whether he can handle that role going into next year. It also makes it look like they're planning on not having PAP back next year.
He certainly looks like he's ready. If he finishes the season on the Islanders then I'd say he's a lock for a starting job next season. I'm not typically one to want to rush players to the NHL - quite the opposite, BUT, for a lot of players, they're ready when they're ready....and he looks ready.

I saw him in junior as an 18 year old and was impressed. I saw him at 19 and saw a MUCH better player, a player who (as I posted before) was not going to get any better playing junior hockey (unlike Niederreiter). While I'm not surprised he's in the NHL, I am surprised he's looked so good, so fast (both in the AHL and NHL).

I'd say he's ready and he's exactly the type of player this team needs.

Last edited by redbull: 03-05-2012 at 03:38 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
crashthenet

It's hard not to appreciate seeing what this team has lacked most of the season. Czikas enters the fray along the boards and Okposo comes out with puck. A solid effort.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 8243
The effort and smart plays he makes are awesome. Breath of fresh air to see him in. Sound Tigers seem to keep rolling without Ullstrom and Cizikas so I think he can stay up for the rest of the year but I definitely want him there tearing it up in the playoffs.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:59 AM
JIsles

Wait till this kid fills out and get comfortable:

Last edited by PWJunior: 03-05-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Fixed it for you.
JIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
IslandersFan17

I am not getting ahead of my self, but Cizikas is the style of player teams need in tight games and in the PLAYOFFS. You can tell the kid is very chippy, incredible work-ethic, grinds every shift and you never will question the motor on the young man.

I fore one believe CC should be returned to BP and allowed to season and continue to dominate at that level. The cup of coffee up in the NHL should give the kid a good idea of what work needs to be done to continue to improve his game.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
DuklaNation

I'd rather roll with Tavares,Strome, Cizikas. Neilsen is solid but those other 3 should be the mainstays very soon. Draft talent, trade for needs.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Isles Junkie

Will Czikas develop into a pesty agitator who draws penalties? That sure would be nice. We haven't had one of those since I guess Bergenheim. Problem is, he also took penalties.

Anyway, Casey is a perfect example of how when a player gets proper time in the OHL & AHL they come up to the NHL and look like they belong immediately. They need to take that tactic with all of their prospects who aren't off the charts like a Tavares was.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:23 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Will Czikas develop into a pesty agitator who draws penalties? That sure would be nice. We haven't had one of those since I guess Bergenheim. Problem is, he also took penalties.

Anyway, Casey is a perfect example of how when a player gets proper time in the OHL & AHL they come up to the NHL and look like they belong immediately. They need to take that tactic with all of their prospects who aren't off the charts like a Tavares was.
The Isles do seem to do that with all their non-lottery picks. Probably because the caps hits of those prospects aren't so hugely inflated. Hamonic was in a similar boat, finished his Jr. eligibility and spent time in Bridgeport before he proved he belonged in the NHL. Cizikas looks like he's doing the same thing.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote