HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Panthers vs. Senators | 6 p.m. | SNET, TVA | This Is Actually Televised? Edition

Old
03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
4thliner*

vCash: 500
This team is LOADED with middling role players who can't score and will not even hit or finish their checks. If either Karlsson or Spezza are not on this team or injured IMO this team would be a bottom 5 picking team no doubt about it. If Neil was not on this team the compete level of these role players would be infuriating to watch most nights...and Zack Smith is sitting out for this??

It is mind boggling how these 2 (Karlsson and Spezza) are not up for the heart cuz the great majority of this team's roster plain sucks.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
This team is LOADED with middling role players who can't score and will not even hit or finish their checks. If either Karlsson or Spezza are not on this team or injured IMO this team would be a bottom 5 picking team no doubt about it. If Neil was not on this team the compete level of these role players would be infuriating to watch most nights...and Zack Smith is sitting out for this??

It is mind boggling how these 2 (Karlsson and Spezza) are not up for the heart cuz the great majority of this team's roster plain sucks.
No ****. It's year 1 of a rebuild for a reason.

It's not the team that's a problem, it's your non-existent sense of reality that's creating unreasonably high expectations of this team.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Xspyrit

Well, we got beat cleanly by a far more desperate team who really had to wake up after the first. Props to them

It's incredible how fast and far the level of expectation went for this fanbase... Lottery team to world beaters whose fans can't accept to lose 2 games in a row

Before that BIG LOSING STREAK where we lost 2-1 and 4-2, the Sens went 7-1-1 outscoring their opponents 37-18

But ya, let's whine!

Some people really need to get a grip, it's insane how delusional this board sounds at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I'm ****'ing sick and tired of offensive black-holes playing on Spezza's wing.

What is the point of Spezza's playmaking talent if he plays with guys that have zero ability to take passes, or shoot.
I wouldn't go as far but I admit I can't wait for next season when finally we will be able to inject more skill in the forward group. So many options : Petersson, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Stone, Hoffman... and the progression of Turris

Shows you how drafting is important in the game today. Started the rebuild by focusing on D-man (drafting Karlsson, Cowen and Rundblad (trade)), then forwards.

That being said, we have a really good chance to finish top-10 in team scoring this season, that's very good for a rebuilding team with a lot of unproven players and missing some secondary scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
lulz

Pretty fancy pro hockey "system." No wonder so many are confused.

I admit it must be very difficult to play at that pace. You can be sure Gilroy and the coaching staff talked a lot about it already. Gilroy want to do this, he wants to improve as a NHL player (and looking to make more $ in the future), he is trying to develop special skills.

Notice how Cowen and Phillips do it too. My guess is there is always a forward (probably the one with the best defensive awareness) that has this responsability and is closely watching what our D-men do. Hockey is very strategic at that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Would be nice to see Turris do something worthwhile for once.
Well, he got a primary assist on Cowen's goal, he hit the post when it was 3-2 for the Panthers, he also set up his teammates nicely a few times but they didn't convert as usual. Oh and had a very good chance to score and Theo made a nive save. Also, always backcheck and is always there to give a good option for the breakout. Very good game by Turris IMO (1 assist, + 1)

We shouldn't expect him to become Jonathan Toews 2.0 IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Yes. That coverage is for just in case scenarios when the defenseman misses the puck, or can't keep it in to prevent odd-man rushes the other way.

However, the ideal thing that happens is the defenseman keeps the puck in and gets back into position.

With Gilroy, he seems to get caught all the time, so the forward plays defense for him almost every time. This is playing with fire because forwards are not nearly as good as defenseman at skating backwards or defending against the rush, because well... they are forwards.
Of course, it should happen only once in a while, not every game. Gilroy needs to adjust to a new team, I'm sure he wants to impress and earn a new contract. He was a highly touted guy who hasn't breakout in term of numbers yet, he wants (maybe too much). Don't forget, they are human beings like us, they are driven by motivations and emotions.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post

It's not the team that's a problem, it's your non-existent sense of reality that's creating unreasonably high expectations of this team.
The team is setting these expectations by being in a playoff spot. If it wants lower expectations it shouldn't be this good. That said, 88% in playoffs so no biggie, just don't lose to these guys in the playoffs....would be massively embarrassing.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Iamok
#Panic

We're a fringe playoff team. Of course we're being carried by a select few players. So is pretty much every fringe team. If we had consistent secondary scoring, we'd be a cup contender...

Old
03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
4thliner*

Quote:

Expectations? What expectations? I would not be shocked if they lost a punch of games here and just missed out on the playoffs.

Even if they make it, I am counting on teams double and triple teaming/shadowing and the hole lot when it comes to trying shutting down Karlsson/Spezza

I am ready for a frustrating playoff round. maybe 2 if we meet a weak team in round 1.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
The Senators have clearly overachieved this season.

They may not make the playoffs. The fact that they are even in the hunt at this point is remarkable, but that fact seems lost on the majority of the fans.

Enjoy the good and try not to sweat the bad.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Expectations? What expectations? I would not be shocked if they lost a punch of games here and just missed out on the playoffs.

Even if they make it, I am counting on teams double and triple teaming/shadowing and the hole lot when it comes to trying shutting down Karlsson/Spezza

I am ready for a frustrating playoff round. maybe 2 if we meet a weak team in round 1.
So what you're telling me is when you're not being overly homerish on other team's boards, you're a giant pessimist here.

We were supposed to be dead last in the league, and yet we're pretty close to locking up a playoff spot. I don't see how anyone has any reason to complain in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

They may not make the playoffs. The fact that they are even in the hunt at this point is remarkable, but that fact seems lost on the majority of the fans.

ie. This

Old
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
rbkhockey29

Anyone else fearing one of these 4+ game losing streaks?????

rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkhockey29 View Post
Anyone else fearing one of these 4+ game losing streaks?????
Not fearing it at all... Ottawa is a team that goes on streaks.. they will lose 4 or 5 then win 6 in a row.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

I think they will make the playoffs but won't get past the first round... unless they finished 6th or higher.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

Oh my god, this fanbase seriously boggles my mind sometimes. Yes, we lost, but you guys act as if we literally just lost all chances of making the playoffs As for the players, many of you seem to be overlooking the fact that Spezza was playing outstanding before the Chicago game, and same goes for Karlsson, who didn't even have a bad game tonight. It's obvious that we need a legitimate scoring winger to play with Spezza, but we clearly don't suck that much if we're in 7th place with < 20 games left.. How about this: everybody calm the **** down, and just take a moment to realize that we don't suck, and that life is good

One Turris God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
Turrible. Just Turrible.

Gotta say, I've not been impressed with this team the last 3 games.

Young teams are streaky, and that's to be expected with a rebuild. But tonight was simply unacceptable for a team that has playoff asperations.
Well, I don't know for you but I was impressed with their game against the Bruins. Only finished 1-0 but Thomas made some unreal saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
3 games with Gilroy, 2 regulation losses
You can't be serious... Wait, I actually think you are

You really think the destiny of a team is changed because they swapped two #6 D-men???

That's without saying that Gilroy is clearly more talented than Lee and will have a better NHL career than Brian "9th overall pick" Lee.

Quote:

So you have low expectations for the team but you're complaining that they lack secondary scoring?

The team is 7th in G/G (goals per game) in all the NHL right now. There's no reason to cbe mad at this team's offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
Now i know why i never hang around here during games...holy over reaction

2 loses in a row = sky is falling

We have seen worse
I should do the same. I don't know why I keep trying to temper things down and for people to think more before they react, like it was ever going to work.

I'm a dreamer who always tried to change the world they say. I'm out for now

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:28 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

hey guys!

You killed us the first period, we got a lucky one early in the second and after that, being in the arena, it was a fun game.

You guys are going in.. I hope we hold 3rd and you 6th and we see you in the second season. Your fans that attend are the classiest Canadian fans, come down anytime.

One question i don't know if your coach answered postgame...why didn't he pull the goalie?

cheers!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
That's without saying that Gilroy is clearly more talented than Lee and will have a better NHL career than Brian "9th overall pick" Lee.
What makes you say this?

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
HenrySpezzaThoreau
Out in the woods

So does Bishop start next game? (not that I think Lehner was terrible)

HenrySpezzaThoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:58 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

Problem is these so called bottom six guys were scoring at half a point per game and were awesome at the start of the year. Now it's

Smith: 2 pts in last 25 games.
Greening: 2 pts in last 18 games.
Condra: 4 pts in last 24 games.
Foligno: 1 goal in last 24 games (empty netter).
Turris: 5 pts inlast 18 games.

They are wildly inconsistently and show glimpse of great play. They created the unrealistically high expectations.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Problem is these so called bottom six guys were scoring at half a point per game and were awesome at the start of the year. Now it's

They are wildly inconsistently and show glimpse of great play. They created the unrealistically high expectations.
whhatt young players are inconsistent!!!!?? oh my gooodnnesss i never knew

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Karlsson y u play like Brian Lee?

Thought he had a below average game for him. Looks like he's trying to do too much. Also seems to get fewer shifts with Spezza's line. Notice Gilroy out there a lot with Spezza.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:10 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
whhatt young players are inconsistent!!!!?? oh my gooodnnesss i never knew
They are 25 they need to get over it and start being NHL players like their contracts indicate

Old
03-04-2012, 10:10 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Thought Gilroy was god awful but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet, just one game.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Team switched off after going 2 up, thought they had it in the bag. Couldn't get the momentum back.
Where the troll kids go?

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Thought Gilroy was god awful but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet, just one game.
It's been two at least, didn't see the Boston game.

Old
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post

Funny how you list points for everyone but Foligno... Why was that??

Maybe because he has been over .5ppg and didnt fit into your argument??

16 pts in his last 25 games... but he sucks and has 0 hockey sense...

He clearly has lost his confidence offensively but is still putting up points pretty consistantly...his longest pointless drought is 4 games

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
So does Bishop start next game? (not that I think Lehner was terrible)
Shawn Simpson implied that Bishop would start tuesday vs Tampa on twitter...I imagine he will

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote