HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part IV (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2012, 03:19 PM
  #176
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Habs have become a draft-and-development service for the league's other 29 teams.

Just have to scratch my head at those who say they're glad we shipped out a young guy for nothing who immediately becomes a top producer on his new team. Like a creep who can't get a date, any girl he manages soon dumps him, so he argues it's all the girls who are messed up.

Hope we can draft high this year, Nashville will need a centre in 2015.
That is true, there are already making plans for a cheap Emelin to join Weber or Suter. Common Gauthier make it happen is your speciality......

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
  #177
Danadiens
Registered User
 
Danadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
It's funny, people often link the fight to Ribiero's departure and act like he was traded for outplaying Koivu. But Ribiero was actually traded after a fairly off year where he was outplayed by Koivu. In fact, the year prior where he led the team in scoring, he really only did so because Koivu was injured, and he played quite poorly in the playoffs.
Yeah I'm also tired of hearing that. Ribs had a bad season before he was traded.

This whole Koivu was jealous thing is pure ********

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
  #178
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
In my view...

AK was a perfect player for a third line in Montreal if we wanted to roll with 3 offensive lines.

If a player with talent is hard to coach the solution is not always to ship him out. I'm not a Price fan but a lot of you are so I think Sergei was pretty much in the same situation but we decided to salvage one and not the other. That was a big mistake.

I didn't even want Sergei has a top liner. I wanted him has a third liner with talent and I wanted him with his brother.

I dream of a

Kostitsyn Eller Kostitsyn

And we never had it because of pure incompetence to not even have a return when we traded him.

Talent is not something that is given to everybody. If you have someone that has talent but also attitude problem you'll always be better of keeping the talent and concentrating on helping his attitude problem... As we all have seen it didn't take much for Sergei and a lot of our young prospect.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
  #179
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Ak46 is good enough for the 1st/2nd line in Nashville, a Stanley Cup contender, and a team that would be 2nd in the Eastern Conference.

Montreal is a lottery contender, and 15th in the Eastern Conference. It's weird to see people trying to justify AK46 as a third liner for the Habs.

Duro: You may yet see Eller centering Kostitsyn and Kostitsyn. Montreal is trying to turn him into a defensive shutdown center, with only moderate success. We may start hearing about his attitude soon.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:30 PM
  #180
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Offensively dead team eh? Well, I forgive you for you know not what you say. Fact is Andrei is being used in a top 6 role here where he should've been playing all along in Montreal. He's happy too. His comments after the game last night make me have no doubt he's a happier man now.
Akost is by no means a legit top line player, but I am sure you know better since you've had him for a whopping 5 games.

When he disappears come on back and we can talk some more.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
  #181
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Akost is by no means a legit top line player, but I am sure you know better since you've had him for a whopping 5 games.

When he disappears come on back and we can talk some more.
He said top-6, not top-line.

20 goal scorers are legit top-6 players.

The league does not have 120 forwards who get 20 goals per season. Last season there were 105... and AK46 achieved these results in Habsland with little to no PP time.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:08 PM
  #182
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He said top-6, not top-line.

20 goal scorers are legit top-6 players.

The league does not have 120 forwards who get 20 goals per season. Last season there were 105... and AK46 achieved these results in Habsland with little to no PP time.
Yes if he brought something every night he would be in the top 6, unfortunatly he disappears and for that reason he is a 3rd liner like Bourque. Simply getting 20 goals in a year does not nesssisarily catapult you into the top 6, sometimes intangibles are more valuable. You can't float 62 games a year and get a goal in the other 20.

He is winger depth.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
  #183
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yes if he brought something every night he would be in the top 6, unfortunatly he disappears and for that reason he is a 3rd liner like Bourque. Simply getting 20 goals in a year does not nesssisarily catapult you into the top 6, sometimes intangibles are more valuable. You can't float 62 games a year and get a goal in the other 20.

He is winger depth.
Hard to see the logic in an argument that on the Habs, who are 28th and looking at a lottery pick, Andrei Kostitsyn is a depth winger who should play on the 3rd line; when on the Preds, who are in 6th place and a dark horse for the cup, he is a top-six forward with PP time. No matter how you slice that it's baloney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
...
Duro: You may yet see Eller centering Kostitsyn and Kostitsyn. Montreal is trying to turn him into a defensive shutdown center, with only moderate success. We may start hearing about his attitude soon.
Eller's a good bet to get the next "attitude" problem on the Habs. Honestly the other 29 GMs must look at Gauthier's moves and just facepalm.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:06 PM
  #184
Fuelled by Passion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 565
vCash: 500
A 20 goal scorer especially when in Montreal only 3 (last season, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010) or max 4 (2007-2008) guys go over this mark is not top 6 forward. Considering he got least amount of TOI and PP time of all this guys.
Gotta love the logic

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:45 PM
  #185
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Ohh guys.look Hitchcock's system won the watch...it was all because of the system!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:02 PM
  #186
The Price is Right
Registered User
 
The Price is Right's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Why didn't Andrei Kostitsyn go in front with Habs but with Nashivlle he does?

Check his two goal right in front of the net. I barely saw him play there when he was with us..

Check goals at 0:59 and 2:05 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3_D...UNveDZb2BpsBQ=

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  #187
Slick Eller
Registered User
 
Slick Eller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Laurentides
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Because we didn't use him on the PP like they did. And when we used him there, he was always in the front of the net.

You're out of lunch.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
  #188
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
It's the egg and the hen in the case of AK in Montreal.

They did not give him PP time because he was not showing enough at 5 vs 5, and so on.

This year with all the injury to Gionta and the Cammy's trade, they should had try giving him a full time job on the top two lines, and a good chunk of PP time. They did not. he did not produce, and that,s the end of the story.

I am madder at the fact that we did not get Nashville's 1st pick in 2012 or 2013 for him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
  #189
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,491
vCash: 137
He did. He didn't get a lot of ice time since coaches here have been dumb with him.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:14 PM
  #190
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,988
vCash: 50
Sergei to Andrei!
...
Sergei to Andrei!


pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
  #191
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,265
vCash: 500
You weren't paying all that much attention then because he always did it.
But I know it was a pretty crazy and bold decision to make the brothers play together on the PP, Trotz really has balls to do that!
Over here, we like to send messages that never work. We have to let the players send us messages (ie MaxPac saying he rather stay down in AHL as top 6 rather than up here as a bottom player while getting bench after every mistake) for them to actually work.

When a player actually needs to publicly say what he feels is best for his development, it's pretty sad..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
  #192
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Come on...

A trade is like a major kick in the *** to most players.

A clean slate is a beautiful thing.

Weak return by PG though.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
  #193
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Hard to see the logic in an argument that on the Habs, who are 28th and looking at a lottery pick, Andrei Kostitsyn is a depth winger who should play on the 3rd line; when on the Preds, who are in 6th place and a dark horse for the cup, he is a top-six forward with PP time. No matter how you slice that it's baloney.



Eller's a good bet to get the next "attitude" problem on the Habs. Honestly the other 29 GMs must look at Gauthier's moves and just facepalm.
Because maybe there is more to hockey than stat sheets? "Dark horse for the cup" Everyone in the playoffs is a darkhorse for the cup, give it a rest. Shocking how 28th place habs have a better offense than your darkhorse. Funny how that happens. Pacioretty, Cole and Gionta will probably all outproduce him and Bourque will take his spot on the third line. We have youngsters looking for a shot next year and if we draft someone like Forsberg he will probably also be looking to crack the team. Akost's time was up.

Gauthier selling off superstars like gill and kostitsyn left and right. We should have kept them because they were obviously the reason we are playing so awesome!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
  #194
Krnage
Registered User
 
Krnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fermont
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,870
vCash: 500
now watch Andrei become a 30 goals scorer in the next season

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
  #195
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Andrei used to play in the PP years prior this one. Too bad he never did ****.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
  #196
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
now watch Andrei become a 30 goals scorer in the next season
I think we all knew this was a possibility, even at the time of the trade.

PG traded away inconsistency. I don't agree with the trade but he wasn't a fan of the sometimes-on-sometimes-off play of AK, which I'm sure will be seen in Nashville too. But if he gets some killer chemistry with his brother, he might still be able to pot 30 while showing some inconsistent effort.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
  #197
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Fail thread.

In every PP he played here, he was in front of the net.


Last edited by Stradale: 03-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
  #198
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
Yeah I'm also tired of hearing that. Ribs had a bad season before he was traded.

This whole Koivu was jealous thing is pure ********
Koivu mentioned, a week or two before starting a fight with Ribeiro during a practice, that he did not like playing the point during the PP. He was playing the point because the PP was better with Ribeiro at C.

Koivu did not react like a captain when talented guys like Kovalev and Ribeiro challenged him for TOI. He was a gifted and feisty player (I still can't believe that Gainey shipped away McDonagh to replace Koivu by Gomez!) but in terms of captain attributes - especially galvanising ALL the players - he was light years away from guys like Carbonneau, Gainey and Muller.

Btw my post was in reaction to canadianeh's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
With the exception of Koivu, every one of those players had consistency and attitude issues in Montreal.

Do I wish the Habs still had these players AND the way they play once they are gone? Absolutely. But that wasn't the reality of what happened while they were here.

I am more than happy to see Andrei K let go. I have no doubt he has massive potential and may even make good on it now, but it never seemed as though it was going to happen in montreal. Even playing for a contract on a 1 year deal he couldn't do it.

Riberio, Lats, Lappy, Grab and SK had major attitude issues. O'Byrne was atrocious in MTL.

Streit was too much of a gamble at 5mill/year.

Koivu was unfortunate but they were trying to change the culture of the team at the time.

The ONLY guy i have major regrets about is McDonough.

You can argue the return on some guys no doubt, but I understand most of the moves they've made concerning these players...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
1. "... Riberio, Lats, Lappy, Grab and SK had major attitude issues..."

Grabovski and Sergei: ok – both acknowledged it and mentioned that they gained "maturity".

Ribeiro: maybe – he also acknowledged it (family = maturity) but he never requested a trade, skipped a flight or pouted à la Grabovski or Sergei Kostitsyn. Are you referring to his fight against Koivu? Koivu was mad because Ribeiro was "stealing" some of his TOI; Ribeiro defended himself!

Latendresse and Lapierre: major attitude issues... really? When!?

2. "... but it never seemed as though it was going to happen in montreal..."

Andrei Kostitsyn always was among our top goals scorers.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
  #199
ElSid Crosby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Second liners : Sergei - Grabo - AK vs ... nothing.

How can someone blame T. Timmins after that?

ElSid Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
  #200
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Because maybe there is more to hockey than stat sheets? "Dark horse for the cup" Everyone in the playoffs is a darkhorse for the cup, give it a rest. Shocking how 28th place habs have a better offense than your darkhorse. Funny how that happens. Pacioretty, Cole and Gionta will probably all outproduce him and Bourque will take his spot on the third line. We have youngsters looking for a shot next year and if we draft someone like Forsberg he will probably also be looking to crack the team. Akost's time was up.

Gauthier selling off superstars like gill and kostitsyn left and right. We should have kept them because they were obviously the reason we are playing so awesome!
You really don't make any sense.
But even if you want to say AK is a depth winger on the third line (all the while, super Darche is playing in the top 6), then why was he taken off Eller's wing?

I don't care if you think AK is not a big loss, nothing more than a 3rd liner, it's irrelevant. Point is, he's yet another player we did not manage properly.

Bill Clinton said it best about coach Richardson after he won the NCAA championships for Arkansas, as a coach, you need to be able to look at each player and say/tell them whatever they need to hear in order to succeed (paraphrasing).

If AK was our first ''problem'' player, I wouldn't be arguing here. But as you know, he isn't our first, nor our second, nor the third, nor the fourth. There's been one too many of them for it just to be a coincidence.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.