Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:10 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
What if next season's top 6 would be this:

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri

I know that a lot of you don't like to put so many kids in the top 6 but Bonino and Palmieri are showing that they can play in the NHL. If that line could put it together, it would solve the 2nd line center problem too. The bottom 6 would be pretty interesting though, mostly depending on if Selšnne comes back. A lot of you guys would take Koivu back as 3rd line center and with Bonino in 2nd line, this would be possible.

It would be great to start building a line around Koivu but I don't know where Cogliano would fit because people seem to want bigger guys. I know that Koivu isn't big but he would definitely sign in Anaheim and he's a good player. Also, he would sign for a rather cheap contract. In addition to Koivu, only Cogliano and Beleskey would have contracts.

I don't know what to do with Cogs because with him and Koivu in the 3rd line, doesn't make it really a big line and he doesn't really fit in 4th line and isn't that type of player. If he could play center better, then it would be fine but that's not the case. Beleskey can stay as left winger in 4th.

Konopka would be a great signing but a lot of teams are going after him. I would like to see if that Ryan O'Marra could do the job because he seems promising and is bigger that Konopka. Then sign McGratton to take over Parros' job. 4th line of Beleskey-Konopka/O'Marra-McGratton would be tough for sure. Sexton could fill in if needed .

I can't come up with anything else for 3rd line. If Koivu doesn't get signed, I would like to see the Ducks go after Arnott because I'm not sure that the Blues can sign him because they have a lot of guys looking for raises (Oshie, Perron, Stewart, Colaiacovo and Jackman). Bringing in Etem would be a fun idea but I'm not sure if it would work. Any ideas?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:34 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind a finnish 3rd line with Hagman-Koivu-Selanne.

I'm also keen seeing McMillan next year, but we'll se after camp.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Rush519

Boudreau will demand to change it up this offseason i think. With Carlyle/Burke it was 2 scoring lines a checking line and a fighting line, the new NHL is 3 scoring lines and an energy line that can score...i like the top six posted above 2 spots and combined with the third line there

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Hagman-Koivu-Selanne
Beleksy-Holland/Cogs-McMillan/Maroon

Fowler-Beauch
Sbisa-Wideman/Lubo
Lydman-Brookbank/Vatanen/Schultz/Cumiskey

Hiller
Ellis

I got Holland in there cause he is bigger and may be able to chip in some points from the fourth line, but he maybe he better off continuing to develop in the AHL.

Rush519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
What if next season's top 6 would be this:

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri

I know that a lot of you don't like to put so many kids in the top 6 but Bonino and Palmieri are showing that they can play in the NHL. If that line could put it together, it would solve the 2nd line center problem too. The bottom 6 would be pretty interesting though, mostly depending on if Selšnne comes back. A lot of you guys would take Koivu back as 3rd line center and with Bonino in 2nd line, this would be possible.
I see that top-6 happening if we don't sign any big names in the off-season. Even then if we get a 2C, Ryan and Palmieri might stay and Bonino gets moved to 4C if Koivu stays and 3C if not.

All in all, top-9 possibly

DSP - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Bonino - Palmieri
Hags - Koivu - Selanne / Etem

Of course we've got McMillan and Holland in the AHL who can surprise in TC. Hags can also be replaced by Beleskey or Cogs if need be. I like that because it leaves us a lot of options even if DSP doesn't play so well top-line, with both Ryan and Hags having played well there before.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:12 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

If Koivu comes back next season he is #2 center, 100%.

If Bonino is our #2 center next year, god help us. The kid is doing pretty well in a #3 center role lately, why not let him develop more there if Koivu comes back instead of thrusting top 6 minutes onto him after one good half season.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Rush519

Koivu is no longer a 2nd line center if we want to be competetive, Bonino may be able to get there at the start of next season, but if we trade lubo or lydman then we can put that money into get a better 2nd line center and have Koivu/Bonino as our third

Old
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush519 View Post
Koivu is no longer a 2nd line center if we want to be competetive, Bonino may be able to get there at the start of next season, but if we trade lubo or lydman then we can put that money into get a better 2nd line center and have Koivu/Bonino as our third
There are no 2nd line centers in the market. They can't sign anybody for the job so the money from the trade couldn't be used for it.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Ryan - Bonino - Palmieri...

The Ducks whole season would hang on that line's shoulders and I'm not comfortable with that. Not to mention we'd be killed in the face off circle with Getzlaf and Bonino taking the majority of them.

Ryan - Jokinen - Palmieri looks a lot better on paper, but Jokinen is awful at face offs as well.

There's also Jason Arnott, but I don't trust him to be more than a 3rd liner at his age. Then there's the Kyle Wellwood who has produced good numbers this year, but you never know what you're getting with him. Not to mention that he's perhaps the softest forward in the league and is perhaps more of a winger than a center these days.

Maybe trade for one during the draft?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Jokinen is Flames #1 center isn't he? He'll probably be getting first liner money.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:20 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Ryan - Bonino - Palmieri...

Ryan - Jokinen - Palmieri looks a lot better on paper, but Jokinen is awful at face offs as well.

Then there's the Kyle Wellwood who has produced good numbers this year, but you never know what you're getting with him. Not to mention that he's perhaps the softest forward in the league and is perhaps more of a winger than a center these days.
I'd prefer Bonino to Wellwood. Jokinen would be a good pickup, but like you said he's just as bad on FO's plus I don't see him leaving the Flames. Jokinen is the only center worth a 2nd line center spot in FA.

If we do the 3 scoring lines people are posting, we need a big bad defensive 4th line

DSP-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Cogs-Koivu-Selanne
Beleskey-?Stoll-?(Moen type)

Maybe a trade such as Friberg + a pick for that 4th line winger.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Elvs

This is all assuming Koivu, Teemu and Lubo retires (and Brookbank asking for too much):

- Sign Samuelsson (BM was reported trying to sign him last time he was UFA).
- Trade Nick Bonino+ for Derek Roy.
- Sign Slater and MacKenzie.
- Sign one of Barch/Janssen.
- Sign Wideman.
- Sign Fasth according to rumors.

Samuelsson - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Roy - Palmieri
Cogliano - Slater - Smith-Pelly
Beleskey - MacKenzie - Barch/Janssen
(Pelley, McMillan)

Sbisa - Wideman
Beauchemin - Fowler
Lydman - Vatanen/Schultz
(Guenin)

Hiller
Fasth

PP1:
Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Fowler - Wideman

PP2:
Samuelsson - Roy - Palmieri
Beauchemin - Sbisa

or

PP1:
Ryan - Roy - Perry
Getzlaf - Wideman

PP2:
Samuelsson - Cogliano - Palmieri
Fowler - Sbisa

The faceoff problem is solved. Slater and MacKenzie are both over 54% in faceoffs and both will record 160-200 hits in a full season. Neither have ever been below 52% and Slater has twice during the last three seasons been above 58%. Winning that many faceoffs would help the PK a ton. We add size, grit and experience. Wideman fills the hole left by Lubo on the PP.

If it only was as simple as it looks...

Last edited by Elvs: 03-20-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Rush519

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Jokinen is Flames #1 center isn't he? He'll probably be getting first liner money.
We may be able to lure him over and make the finnish national team. but in all honesty

DSP(.87) - Getz (5.4) - Perry (5.4)
Ryan(5.1) - Jokinen(??) - Palmieri (1.2)
Hagman (2 mil) - Koviu (2) - Selanne (3)
Belesky (.73) - Bonino (1) - Cogs (2.4)

5D at 15.7 get one more at less that 2 mil

Hiller (4.5)
Backup (2)

thats a cap of 53.3 million we were at almost 60 last season so i think we can sign Jokinen at under 5 mil (he makes 3 this year)..maybe trade cogliano and lydman (5 mill in cap) for some picks, and sign wideman and a fighter or Konopka (more than a fighter) and if lubo retires thats 5.6 million more to keep to try and resign Getzlaf and Perry next year

Old
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
This is all assuming Koivu, Teemu and Lubo retires (and Brookbank asking for too much):

- Sign Wideman.

Ryan - Roy - Palmieri
(Pelley, McMillan)

Sbisa - Wideman
Beauchemin - Fowler
Lydman - Vatanen/Schultz
(Guenin)

Hiller
Fasth

PP1:
Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Fowler - Wideman

PP2:
Beauchemin - Sbisa

or

PP1:
Ryan - Roy - Perry
Getzlaf - Wideman

PP2:
Fowler - Sbisa

The faceoff problem is solved. Slater and MacKenzie are both over 54% in faceoffs and both will record 160-200 hits in a full season. Neither have ever been below 52% and Slater has twice during the last three seasons been above 58%. Winning that many faceoffs would help the PK a ton. We add size, grit and experience. Wideman fills the hole left by Lubo on the PP.

I am not sure you will see this many moves. I will update my first post after seeing last nights game

DSP(I think they will give him a shot)-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Palmieri
Cogs-FA-FA
Belesky-McMillan(sp?)-FA

Defense
No change unless.........
1) Lubo retires
2) Schultz signs
3) Sign Suter
4) Trade for Weber

then who knows

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:46 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:

- Sign Wideman.

Ryan - Roy - Palmieri
(Pelley, McMillan)

Sbisa - Wideman
Beauchemin - Fowler
Lydman - Vatanen/Schultz
(Guenin)

Hiller
Fasth

PP1:
Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Fowler - Wideman

PP2:
Beauchemin - Sbisa

or

PP1:
Ryan - Roy - Perry
Getzlaf - Wideman

PP2:
Fowler - Sbisa

Put down NHL12 for a minute. I'd be surprised if we do two of those roster moves.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Put down NHL12 for a minute. I'd be surprised if we do two of those roster moves.
Which is what I meant with the last little row there.

MacKenzie would be a typical Bargain-Bob signing though, I can see that one happening.

Last edited by Elvs: 03-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

If the new Ryan line produces thru the end of the season, you have to seriously consider keeping it together. You can always replace Bonino with Holland, bottom line, is it's time to let the kids sink or swim!!!

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Would have to be a big +....

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
I'd much rather try and trade for Plekanec than Roy.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
FinDuck

Could Jarret Stoll be our new second line center? He's having a down year, but he's good at faceoffs and a bit more physical than Koivu. But is he an upgrade over koivu/Holland that's the question.

FinDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
master4071

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuck View Post
Could Jarret Stoll be our new second line center? He's having a down year, but he's good at faceoffs and a bit more physical than Koivu. But is he an upgrade over koivu/Holland that's the question.
Honestly I think we should go hard for Stoll, but only if Saku won't come back...Koivu is not a perfect 2C right now, but IMO Koivu>Stoll...Stoll has 5 goals, right now...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I have no idea if he's an upgrade over Holland, but I'd say he's an upgrade over Koivu on the power play.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
If the new Ryan line produces thru the end of the season, you have to seriously consider keeping it together. You can always replace Bonino with Holland, bottom line, is it's time to let the kids sink or swim!!!
And if they sink then we're out of the playoffs next season as well... We at least need a veteran or two who can play top 6 minutes in case the kids aren't ready. I'm worried that line does produce for the rest of the season and Murray assumes they can replicate it for a whole year and doesn't bring in any top 6 help. And as much as I think DSP is our most improved player since coming back from injury, I don't want him pencilled into a top line role for next season.

If Selanne retires, that's 65-70 points we need to replace. Some of which Ryan will take from getting 1st PP units but I don't think Palmieri or Etem will be nearly capable enough of replacing his ES production.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:24 PM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
How about Staal(pit) rather than Stoll.

I am okay with starting the year with Bonino. You dont have to have stars at every postion in the top six to score. He is a distributor who is good in his zone and he has two snipers. They will get the rest of this year to gel and if that looks to be a weakness next year, maybe we make a trade.

Sign some size and grit in the bottom 6 rather than a second line center.

If you move DSP to third line, then sign a veteran left wing for the top line.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
I'd much rather try and trade for Plekanec than Roy.
Would take a lot more to get Plekanec who has 4 years remaining on his contract. Roy becomes an UFA after next season and has been rumored to be on the block.