HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Lakers went 12 years without a rebuild. I say that's a pretty good run for them.
I know, I am just pointing out the irony of it all.

I mean, think about 2009: Lakers are champions, Kings and Clippers suck. What a difference three years make.

01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Lakers need to start jettisoning some players.

Firing a coach didn't exactly change anything. It's on the players and some of them need to go.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I know, I am just pointing out the irony of it all.

I mean, think about 2009: Lakers are champions, Kings and Clippers suck. What a difference three years make.
Definitely. It is quite a role reversal. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post

Firing a coach didn't exactly change anything. It's on the players and some of them need to go.
It's sad when Kobe seems to be the most motivated on the team and working the hardest.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:55 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post

start with gasol, than d'antoni and hopefully jerry takes control back from his son.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
start with gasol, than d'antoni and hopefully jerry takes control back from his son.
But it was Jerry Buss, desiring a return to Showtime, that trumped everyone and elected D'Antoni over Phil.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
But it was Jerry Buss, desiring a return to Showtime, that trumped everyone and elected D'Antoni over Phil.
He should have known even with D'antoni the team is too old to play like Showtime.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

And the Showtime era Lakers shared the ball. These Lakers, not so much. Unfortunately it is Kobe's team and the ball has to always get to his hands.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
It being Kobe's team would be no problem if the team played defense or rebounded. He's played pretty well so he only shares partial blame than this. I don't know what more he could do.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:57 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I have been a Laker fan for 45 years (yeah I know, what can I say? I came to age at 9 years old ), and even I am astonished how delusional Laker fans can be.

This Laker team is going NOWHERE. Period. Anyone who has observed basketball for any length of time can see that as much talent as they do have, its old, its slow, and it doesn't play well together. Add the fact that Kobe is still jacking up ill-advised shots at the most inopportune times and you have a recipe for disaster. They have lost to the most mundane teams this season, including barely beating a very bad Charlotte team by one lousy point.

Add to that you have far superior teams in the West in the Clippers, OKC, Memphis, San Antonio, and Golden State, and that even such teams at this point as Houston, Denver, Minnesota, Portland, and Utah have better records than the Lakers 31 games into the season, and anyone can see the Lakers have their work cut out for them just to make the playoffs.

The Lakers currently place 11th in the WC, 3 spots out of a playoff spot. Now, I do believe they will improve to the point at getting into the playoffs, but its going to be a first round exit to any of the five superior teams in the West I noted above.

Did I mention that this team doesn't (or won't, or CAN'T) play defense? Uh, minor sticking point there.
The Lakers big problem is that they aren;t using their strengths. They have two monster big men and yet they refuse to play a half-court game. The Lakers are 2nd in the league in 3-pt attempts!!!

You can make any team it he league look old running back to play defense so quickly after every missed 3-pt shot.

Every Laker fan should be cringing whenever Pau Gasol shoots a three pointer, and it's happening more regularly now.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:52 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Jerry isn't in the shape that he used to be and most likely never will be. His health has been declining for awhile, which is sad. There's a lot of rumors out there about the exact issue of his health, that's not for me to post here. I do know it is very serious. That's why you never see him on tv or doing interviews...at all. He wasn't in the team photo for the first time in 33 years.

So Jerry is never going to run the day to day operations, that's on his son, Jim Buss. Unfortunately.

I am a big Pau fan, he has done lots for the community than people realize. However its time to jettison Pau for some parts that fit D'Atoni's system better. Josh Smith, Raja Bell etc. A player that can run and shoot the 3. Pau has been spending way too much time AWAY from the basket in this system. It just isn't going to work with Pau.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Dawdler
Pearson for Calder!!

Howard and Gasol OUT!

interesting that the two guys who don't fit the system are out, time for the Lakers to see what they learned from D'antoni's system

Old
01-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Howard and Gasol OUT!

interesting that the two guys who don't fit the system are out, time for the Lakers to see what they learned from D'antoni's system
Unfortunately, the "energy" guy, Jordan Hill, is also out.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

'Melo tried to pick a fight with Kevin Garnett at the Celtics team bus well AFTER the game last night.

Meanwhile, a certain breakfast cereal is trending heavily on Twitter right now...

Old
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
And the Showtime era Lakers shared the ball. These Lakers, not so much. Unfortunately it is Kobe's team and the ball has to always get to his hands.
I've never understood this myth.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I've never understood this myth.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

One more compilation highlight of the Showtime Lakers. I think you'll get the idea of how often they shared the ball and didn't have the ball constantly going through one player.

Of course, we are in a different era of basketball, and honestly, I appreciated the game back then a hell of a lot more than I do now. Now it's all about individual performances and less about the team.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
'Melo tried to pick a fight with Kevin Garnett at the Celtics team bus well AFTER the game last night.

Meanwhile, a certain breakfast cereal is trending heavily on Twitter right now...

KG told Melo his wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

DODGER STADIUM IMPROVEMENTS OUTLINED FOR 2013 SEASON

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced their plan for improvements to 51-year-old Dodger Stadium for the 2013 season. Upgrades include:

New High Definition video boards in left field and right field. Existing message boards, including ribbon boards at the Loge level and outfield wall, will be replaced with the new technology as well. The unique hexagon shape of both scoreboards will be restored.

A new sound system directed to minimize echoes and sound migration outside the stadium

A state-of-the-art Wi-Fi network and cellular antenna system to support cell-phone and internet connectivity from mobile devices

Wider concourses and additional locations for wheelchair bound fans and their companions on all levels

Expanded and renovated restrooms with substantially more fixtures

Food service enhancements to loge, reserve and upper reserve levels including new stands, cooking facilities and menus. Details will be announced prior to the start of the season.

New Field Level entry plazas and bullpen overlooks to create standing room areas with a view of the game

A new home team clubhouse, expanded and enhanced training/conditioning areas, and new batting cages for both teams

“The mission of Dodger ownership is to create ways to enhance the experience for all of our fans,” Dodger President and CEO Stan Kasten said. “Dodger Stadium is a treasured piece of the Los Angeles community and we will respect that heritage while restoring and enhancing the venue for our fans in the 21st century. When the improvements are completed, the stadium will retain its classic look, but it will have a more comfortable feel.

“This is a most ambitious program for a single off-season. We are grateful to Dodger fans for their input into the improvements that will be most meaningful to their game experience.”

“Dodger Stadium is a jewel in the heart of Los Angeles. It's a place where Angelenos from all walks of life have come together for decades,” said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. “I'm very pleased to see that the team's owners are investing in exciting and needed upgrades that will help attract new fans and refresh this civic icon.”

“From the outset the new ownership of our Los Angeles Dodgers committed to putting fans first and to being good neighbors,” said Councilmember Ed P. Reyes. “As a fan I appreciate everything they are doing to enhance the Dodger Stadium experience, and as councilmember I appreciate that they have taken the surrounding neighborhood into account particularly with regards to their echo-reducing sound system.”

The planned improvements are being overseen by Janet Marie Smith, Senior VP of Planning and Development, who is known throughout the sports world for her work with the Baltimore Orioles (Oriole Park at Camden Yards), Boston Red Sox (Fenway Park) and Atlanta Braves (Turner Field). Smith’s accomplishments are recognized in Baseball’s Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY.

Following is more detail regarding the improvements to be in place for the 2013 season at Dodger Stadium.

The ability of fans and media covering games at Dodger Stadium to communicate will improve as a result of the new Wi-Fi and cellular antenna system that is being installed as part of a partnership with Major League Baseball Advanced Media.

The new sound system will provide for a much more enjoyable audio experience for fans as they listen to live and recorded music and announcements before, during and after games at the stadium. Sound will be directed to each seating section, minimizing echoes and migrating sounds outside the park.

The new video screens will be the first 10mm 1080p light emitting diode (LED) displays in MLB. While the new scoreboard structures will be 22% larger, the active viewing area of both video boards will be 66% larger than before, thus providing the capability for a greater amount of video content and statistical information than ever before. Driven by a new high-definition broadcast quality control room, the scoreboards will feature the latest outdoor display technologies which will offer some of the most impressive visuals in all of sports. The original distinctive hexagonal shape which presently only exists in right field will be restored to both boards.

Two to four rows of seats will be removed from the back of the Field, Loge, Reserve and Upper Reserve levels to provide greater walking space on each concourse, as well as more wheelchair locations and “drink rails” for fans who may wish to leave their seats during games and explore the stadium.

Restrooms will be expanded, renovated and ADA compliant on the Loge, Reserve and Upper Reserve levels and in the Pavilions. There will be an average increase in fixtures of 62 per cent for women and 32 per cent for men. Family or Unisex restrooms will be created for each level at the stadium. Restrooms in the outfield will be relocated under the Pavilions which will be more convenient for fans.

The Dodgers will also be going green instituting many measures toward being energy efficient. Included in the plans are new water valves, low flush fixtures, waterless urinals, hand driers to eliminate paper waste, automatic faucets to control water flow and new power and lighting energy efficient systems.

The Dodgers also will increase the number of positions for wheelchair patrons. Each position will have a companion seat and will also be positioned so these patrons can see the game, even if someone stands up in front of them.

One of the “most fun things” among the enhancements, according to Smith, is the bullpen overlooks that will enable fans to socialize while watching the game from a location above the bullpens where there will be dramatic field views. Each entrance, including the center-field entrances, is being given careful attention to create better circulation and enhanced concession and retail spaces.

Playground and interactive areas for children also will be created at both the Pavilion and Reserve levels that will include life-size bobbleheads, oversized World Series rings and retired number displays.

The players will appreciate the renovation doubling the size of the footprint of the existing clubhouses, enhance their training room and home batting cage and add a batting cage for visiting teams so they won’t have to share the Dodgers’ batting cage.

The Dodgers will display many of the team’s historical items for the first time. Fans will be able to enjoy Dodger memorabilia and artifacts such as MVP awards, Cy Young awards and Gold Gloves awarded to Dodgers.

A new retail store will be built at the Top of the Park location behind home plate. This will be open daily on a regular basis along with the Top of the Park ticket office. Tours of Dodger Stadium will be conducted daily from this location.

The Los Angeles Dodgers franchise, with six World Series championships and 21 National League pennants since its beginnings in Brooklyn in 1890, is committed to a tradition of pride and excellence. The Dodgers are dedicated to supporting a culture of winning baseball, providing a first-class, fan-friendly experience at Dodger Stadium, and building a strong partnership with the community. With the highest cumulative fan attendance in Major League Baseball history, and a record of breaking barriers, the Dodgers are one of the most cherished sports franchises in the world.

Visit the Dodgers online at www.dodgers.com, follow them on Twitter @Dodgers and like them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Dodgers.
For media information, visit www.dodgerspressbox.com.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Old
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
bobafettish*

unite the gasol brothers. gasol for gay. i'm not even a fan of gay's but the kings are desperate for some young legs.

get it done kupchak

Old
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
unite the gasol brothers. gasol for gay. i'm not even a fan of gay's but the kings are desperate for some young legs.

get it done kupchak
I doubt that since Sacramento is a young team...

Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
One more compilation highlight of the Showtime Lakers. I think you'll get the idea of how often they shared the ball and didn't have the ball constantly going through one player.

Of course, we are in a different era of basketball, and honestly, I appreciated the game back then a hell of a lot more than I do now. Now it's all about individual performances and less about the team.
Even when Kobe leads the team in assists, people accuse him of ball hogging. I don't get it, honestly.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:48 AM
VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
Kobe is top 3 in assists for non point guards basically every season. Top 3 rebounder among guards. Top 3 scorer overall. Lebron is the only other player to put up stats across the board like that.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

The new scoreboard at DS will probably be like this, but in a hexagonal shape.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:23 AM
damacles1156

Lakers got a butt kicking tonight. Boy the Thunder don't mess around.

Closed Thread