HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Different productions throughout history? (Name labels above players?)

Old
03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
plusandminus

vCash: 500
Different productions throughout history? (Name labels above players?)

Very often when watching hockey, especially NHL, I think about how much easier it would be if there were labels above the players' heads showing their name - sort of like in (at least) the early versions of the NHL game from EA Sports.
It would be easier for the casual viewer who does not know in their head which player having each number. It would perhaps be easier for the commentators, who wouldn't have to say player names all the time. (What would hockey commentary be like then?) I even think the more advanced viewers would benefit, instantly knowing where each player was on the ice and perhaps being able to focus even more on analyzing the play.

I remember it being talked about at least as long ago as 10-15 years, that the viewers in the future would be more able to control how they would want to view the game. For example, being able to switch on/off name labels, choosing between different camera angles, etc.

Technically it should be possible. I remember a relatively small sport like bandy, several years ago using some sender/GPS to track players, including total distance they skated throughout the game, maximum speed, etc. In a much bigger sport like football (soccer), it is being frequently used. No labels though, but football is different to hockey in that it is much easier to see who a player is (no helmets, etc.). NHL could even use pucks that makes it possible to always know if it went over the goalline or not (for example when it is buried under a player).

What has the history looked like regarding TV production? (I know there was an experiment with a glowing puck, something I don't need myself and perhaps not many other neither.)
Has there ever been broadcasts showing labels ahead of the players? (I think I have seen it, at least during highlights, some years ago. ?)

(In response to any comments like "Those who have any understanding of hockey don't need labels", I can add that I know there are former elite level players who agree with me on this. The small labels could be made partly transparent, so that one should never have to miss anything. And one shouldn't have to show the full name, 3-4 letters would be enough, or even the number.)
(The word "productions" in the subject line might be the result of poor English.)

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Dom

From a real-time image processing point of view, such a thing would be hard to pull of. The processing could probably be based of the jersey numbers, but a lot of body positions would not show readable numbers.

NASCAR uses label identifiers in their races, but I believe this is done by having a someone point the car on a screen. Then the processing tracks the car and the label follows it. Tracking an object is easy. IDing it is the hard part.

In the future, I am sure the TV viewer will have access to information layers much like closed captionning, which can be enabled or disabled. It should really already exist to consult live stats during games. The technology has been there for a long time.

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
plusandminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
From a real-time image processing point of view, such a thing would be hard to pull of. The processing could probably be based of the jersey numbers, but a lot of body positions would not show readable numbers.
Wouldn't a sender be enough, set differently for different players?
I know big running/skiing races have senders, making it possible for anyone to follow every runner, by visiting a website. If your co-worker is participating, among thousands of other runners (elite as well as casual runners) it is possible to see exactly where he is.

Quote:
NASCAR uses label identifiers in their races, but I believe this is done by having a someone point the car on a screen. Then the processing tracks the car and the label follows it. Tracking an object is easy. IDing it is the hard part.
I have little knowledge about NASCAR.

Quote:
In the future, I am sure the TV viewer will have access to information layers much like closed captionning, which can be enabled or disabled. It should really already exist to consult live stats during games. The technology has been there for a long time.
I hope it will come.

Does anyone else have anything to say? Have anyone seen this in practice? What has been thought and said about it over the years?

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I would be very happy with a NASCAR-style identifier as they come onto the ice. Just enough to notice the matchups.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Alpine

CBC had you control the camera on webcasts.
And who'll ever forget the Fox puck,,,blue for pass red for shot debacle...........
leading many comedians to use the..........it's a black disc on a white surface...how stupid are you joke.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote