HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

May 8: Meszaros (back surgery) expected to play in Game 5 vs. NJD (updates in post 1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2012, 07:32 AM
  #51
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
People keep saying age isn't a factor but we have a lot of 35+ guys on the team. And sure, Pronger's concussion was a fluke but last year he had a back injury that needed surgery and a knee injury that needed surgery. Those are wear and tear injuries and when you get older the recovery time is longer. We have Pronger, Lilja, Briere, Kimmo, Kubina, Jagr who are all in geezer category so it's a concern.
Oh dont tell them that, they all wanna deny the obvious...

Oh you've done it: now prepare for a long itemized list of every young guy who has ever suffered an injury, followed by a systematic nitpicking session pointing out all injuries which were 'just flukes' or unrelated to age..

Some people

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
  #52
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Bad timing for Meszaros, I thought he'd looked really good the past couple of games (especially the Islanders game of course). Hopefully he's not out too long. I don't really like the sight of Lilja in a Flyers jersey.

As for Timonen, let's hope this gives him a chance to get some well needed rest and he will be able to return to the form he had in the first 30 games or so of the season. He's definitely looked tired and banged up lately.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  #53
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Oh dont tell them that, they all wanna deny the obvious...

Oh you've done it: now prepare for a long itemized list of every young guy who has ever suffered an injury, followed by a systematic nitpicking session pointing out all injuries which were 'just flukes' or unrelated to age..

Some people
No one is denying that there are older players on the team, or that older players are more susecptible to injury.

But looking at the injuries the team has faced this year, only a handful of games can be attributed to that. You can't just look at Prongers eye injury and then say its because of age. And then when someone disagree's just say older people have more 'freak accidental injuries'.

I don't know one poster on this board that doesnt want a young ringer d-man, but guess what, we don't have one, we play with what we have. Is is a priority? Yes, but is *****ing about it right now going to help? No.

Also, you never mentioned which teams we're selling their #1 potential d-men as asked. And for someone that is basing their argument on 'facts', you certainly aren't showing any. its no secret older players get injured more often when they're old, you aren't on to anything new here.

I just don't get your high on the horse approach to this argument when you are pointing out the obvious about older players, when it doesnt apply to this scenerio?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:37 AM
  #54
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Early report on Timonen is back injury, possibly two weeks.

Source: Sports Final on NBC 10
May be a blessing for us. Yes, it hurts us in the short term, but regardless of seeding, we need a more healthy Timonen than we've seen the last month. If this helps him get there, then gives him a couple weeks to get back to a high level of play before the playoffs, I'm in.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
  #55
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,647
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Laugh all you wnat. 'Freak' accidents happen to older guys more. You can dismiss it as freak all u want, but it seems to me u are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Ur best Dmen should NOT be that old, that's just common sense.
Detroit's best defeneman is pretty "old"

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
  #56
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So it only takes Cyberdyne Systems two weeks to craft a replacement spine?
Did you mean YoYoDyne?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
  #57
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,647
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Anyone else wondering if this injury lingera, it could contribute in kimmo retiring after this season? especially if the team doesn't make a deep playoff run?


holy over reactions batman

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
  #58
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Detroit's best defeneman is pretty "old"
But we're talking one defenseman who signs contracts year to year. Look at our old players, even Lilja got a 2 year deal and Kubina will want more than 1 year. Pronger and Briere are signed forever.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
  #59
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Detroit's best defeneman is pretty "old"
Yes and of course that proves conclusively that every old defenseman is as good as Lidstrom.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
  #60
rban*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
No one is denying that there are older players on the team, or that older players are more susecptible to injury.

But looking at the injuries the team has faced this year, only a handful of games can be attributed to that. You can't just look at Prongers eye injury and then say its because of age. And then when someone disagree's just say older people have more 'freak accidental injuries'.

I don't know one poster on this board that doesnt want a young ringer d-man, but guess what, we don't have one, we play with what we have. Is is a priority? Yes, but is *****ing about it right now going to help? No.

Also, you never mentioned which teams we're selling their #1 potential d-men as asked. And for someone that is basing their argument on 'facts', you certainly aren't showing any. its no secret older players get injured more often when they're old, you aren't on to anything new here.

I just don't get your high on the horse approach to this argument when you are pointing out the obvious about older players, when it doesnt apply to this scenerio?

I'm pointing out that perhaps it was a mistake to have our two leading Dmen that old. As for who is selling their top Dmen RIGHT NOW, the answer, is no one,

BUT of course it may have been a good idea to begin an all out hunt LAST YEAR when Pronger missed much of the year and twas obvious he was near his end.

The Flyers prayed that Pronger would recover and Timo would hold up despite his age. Neither will happen and we are totally screwed.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
  #61
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,331
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Detroit's best defeneman is pretty "old"
Last I heard he's also out with an injury.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
  #62
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I'm pointing out that perhaps it was a mistake to have our two leading Dmen that old. As for who is selling their top Dmen RIGHT NOW, the answer, is no one,

BUT of course it may have been a good idea to begin an all out hunt LAST YEAR when Pronger missed much of the year and twas obvious he was near his end.

The Flyers prayed that Pronger would recover and Timo would hold up despite his age. Neither will happen and we are totally screwed.
Because they weren't right? I love how when something doesnt hit the media or a trade is done it automatically means that the team wasnt looking for a young d-man.

And use a little common sense, of course no one is shopping a d-man right this instance for immediate trade, but you actually think that any team with a legitmate #1 potential d-man was willing to trade him at the deadline or all season for that matter without receiving a gross over payment? Look what Jack Johnson cost and he blows. The only other top teir young d-men moved in recent memory is in a package with a forward with offsetting skill, ie better forward and lesser but still great d-man for better d-man and forward with lesser skill.

If you don't consider Timonen having 'Held up' despite his age then your expectations of the guy are pathetic. He played some 240+ games in a row, and will miss two weeks. But alas, he has not held up.

Your argument is knee jerk.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  #63
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post


holy over reactions batman
I don't think it is. There were already rumors that he would retire after this season anyway, we're there not?

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  #64
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Any news on Mesz?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  #65
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think it is. There were already rumors that he would retire after this season anyway, we're there not?
Yup. Then he said he'd play out the contract, last week he said he might play longer, he also said he played in his last Olympics but who knows. I think he's at that stage of his career where the finish line is in sight and he's not sure what to do.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
  #66
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Yup. Then he said he'd play out the contract, last week he said he might play longer, he also said he played in his last Olympics but who knows. I think he's at that stage of his career where the finish line is in sight and he's not sure what to do.
Exactly.

All I'm saying is "out indefinitely" is not something you want to hear with a 37 year old defenseman.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  #67
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,647
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't think it is. There were already rumors that he would retire after this season anyway, we're there not?
rumors are far from facts

just because someone said Timonen is looking to retire, doesnt mean it's true

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  #68
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,331
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
rumors are far from facts

just because someone said Timonen is looking to retire, doesnt mean it's true
I'm pretty sure Timonen said that.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:17 PM
  #69
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,542
vCash: 50
If Kimmo retires, we use his 6 mill elsewhere. ( Doubt he retires though)

Roo was not at practise, any updates on that ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  #70
nevermore
Cap space since 2005
 
nevermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Roo was not at practise, any updates on that ?
Maintenance day according to Seravalli.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
  #71
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
rumors are far from facts

just because someone said Timonen is looking to retire, doesnt mean it's true
Except that the rumors were derived from timonen actually saying this.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
  #72
orangecrush8
Registered User
 
orangecrush8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Maintenance day according to Seravalli.
Oh great.

Then it is definitely not a maintenance day

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
  #73
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,647
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Except that the rumors were derived from timonen actually saying this.
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...monens-future/

Quote:
After scoring his 100th career goal on March 5 against the Buffalo Sabres, Timonen unintentionally shed light on how much time he feels he has left in the league.

Im not really a big stat guy, but Im sure in a couple years, two, three years when I retire, its going to be a nice memory, he said. I rather win these games then get those goals.
March 5th, 2011...2-3 years from then isnt 2012

unless this is a pretty serious injury, he won't be retiring at the end of the season

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
  #74
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...monens-future/



March 5th, 2011...2-3 years from then isnt 2012

unless this is a pretty serious injury, he won't be retiring at the end of the season
Well that's good to hear then.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
  #75
Tyler Durden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
So anyone get a source that Timonen will actually be out for 2 weeks?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.