HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Logic

Old
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
majormet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
MacDonald has been playing "monstrously?" Really? Did you watch him get absolutely roasted in Boston?

He's definitely been the biggest disappointment for me this season (except for Comeau I guess.)

There's definitely a lot to be said for Hitchcock being a wayyyyyyyy better coach than Capuano. The Isles, as a team with forward who by and large don't play defensively, and almost no contributing veterans, need a strong coach more than anyone.

That said, I don't think that it's fair to compare the Isles and Blues rosters. St. Louis is significantly better than us in just about every phase of the game.
I think they are better than us in just about every phase of the game..... because of the coach.

Imagine Okposo with 60 points, MacDonald with 30 points and Grabner with 25 goals. I think with a solid coach these guys are putting up these kind of numbers and that make our depth look better. I think he would light up vets like Reasoner as well so they don't become passengers. Our goalie was on the team with the most points in the league not too long ago.

Some of our players are underperforming because of coaching.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Argh. You are furiously putting lipstick on a warthogs ass.

We currently have no real 1st pair players.
We have three second pair in Hamonic, Streit, and MacDonald.
We have a whole range of third and worse.

Almost everyone plays one level above their actual abilities. Some like Jurcina have almost no hockey sense. I give you points for trying to be positive about the whole thing, but oh brother, they suck.
A little lipstick I guess, but the players are playing worse because of a lack of true coaching.

I do think a real coach would win with this 6 on defense next year

Streit/De Haan
Hamonic/MacDonald
Reese/Colin White

We would have 4 guys that are 3/4's in the top 4 and two true bottom pairing guys.

Hitch could not get anything out of Jurcina, so that we know.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Almost everyone plays one level above their actual abilities. Some like Jurcina have almost no hockey sense. I give you points for trying to be positive about the whole thing, but oh brother, they suck.
The Isles have talented players who have SCORING/statistical output that rivals the Blues and other "good teams" but what the other teams have is much better BALANCE of offense/defense/size/speed and fewer FLAWED players.

Jurcina is big, but doesn't hit. Hard shot, can't hit the net. He can't pass and is far too slow off the rush, cannot move laterally and gets beat far too often.

Staios, Eaton aren't much better.

Parenteau/Moulson/Grabner are terrible without the puck, terrible defensively, cannot win a puck battle. When they aren't scoring, they are a liability out there.

Okposo/Bailey - very inconsistent work effort and output
Frans is small, not talented enough for top six, not big or tough enough for a bottom six - but he's been okay this year, for the most part (he's miscast, as are many others)

The entire 4th line is AHL level AT BEST. As as the other forwards.

Streit has underperformed but has been paired with an AHLer the WHOLE YEAR.

AMac get a bit of a pass because they he's asked to be EVERYTHING for this team and are both playing over their heads most of the time, and he's too small, not very offensive but he accomplishes a whole lot with very little, compared to others.

John Tavares, Travis Hamonic, Matt Martin, Evgeny Nabokov get a pass, because they've been great all year.

The better teams in the league have players who produce the same output (goals/assists) as many of these players BUT they are MUCH BETTER all-around players who can really help a TEAM limit scoring chances against - hence WIN GAMES.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
The Isles have talented players who have SCORING/statistical output that rivals the Blues and other "good teams" but what the other teams have is much better BALANCE of offense/defense/size/speed and fewer FLAWED players.

Jurcina is big, but doesn't hit. Hard shot, can't hit the net. He can't pass and is far too slow off the rush, cannot move laterally and gets beat far too often.

Parenteau/Moulson/Grabner are terrible without the puck, terrible defensively, cannot win a puck battle. When they aren't scoring, they are a liability out there.

Frans is small, not talented enough for top six, not big or tough enough for a bottom six - but he's been okay this year, for the most part (he's miscast, as are many others)

AMac get a bit of a pass because they he's asked to be EVERYTHING for this team and are both playing over their heads most of the time, and he's too small, not very offensive but he accomplishes a whole lot with very little, compared to others.

John Tavares, Travis Hamonic, Matt Martin, Evgeny Nabokov get a pass, because they've been great all year.

The better teams in the league have players who produce the same output (goals/assists) as many of these players BUT they are MUCH BETTER all-around players who can really help a TEAM limit scoring chances against - hence WIN GAMES.
Good points... but with a good coach

Grabner, PAP and Moulson will be better defensively

Bailey and Okposo will be more consistent

A better coach would be asking his GM for more of Reese, Ullstrom, Cizikas etc... instead of the weak guys out there.

I think with a good coach Nielsen's size is a non factor.

For the past 4 years we have had Gordon and Capuano, these players have not had a real coach at all......

If Capuano coached St Louis and Hitch coaches the Isles, you would see the Isles battling Ottawa for 7th and St Louis in the Calgary pack under the playoff zone.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:51 PM
supeez
HFBoards Sponsor

What about Brad Shaw? He is an assistant under Hitch in STL. Liked him on the Island when he took over for Sterling. I think he is ready and would be an upgrade!!

supeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
leaponover

I said in another thread that yes I am definitely on the list for a seasoned coach to come in and see what he can do with this team.

I however completely disagree that our defense has been solid. I think that is the biggest difference between us and the Blues. Our defense contributes nothing offensively and is mediocre defensively as well. I know +/- isn't a make or break stat but it is horrendous up and down the board!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

a) I agree with you.
b) Our depth blows chunks.
c) Our entire blue line corps is playing one line above it's head.
d) Even the hard core glass-is-half-full crowd is breaking down and admitting this club is poorly structured.

Sucks to be us.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Tuckisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
A little lipstick I guess, but the players are playing worse because of a lack of true coaching.

I do think a real coach would win with this 6 on defense next year

Streit/De Haan
Hamonic/MacDonald
Reese/Colin White

We would have 4 guys that are 3/4's in the top 4 and two true bottom pairing guys.

Hitch could not get anything out of Jurcina, so that we know.
I would have serious concers with that as our top 6 d men. Streit and DeHaan on the same pair would get run through the boards against most teams. Colin White is washed up and I want no part of him. I'm not saying I know the answer but that top 6 isnot a playoff maker in my opinion.

Tuckisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckisles View Post
I would have serious concers with that as our top 6 d men. Streit and DeHaan on the same pair would get run through the boards against most teams. Colin White is washed up and I want no part of him. I'm not saying I know the answer but that top 6 isnot a playoff maker in my opinion.

Maybe if you set it up as

Streit/Hamonic
MacDonald/Reese
De Haan/Colin White or UFA with size that will cost under 1.5M

We are not getting Suter.