HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ||| Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?

Old
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I did find the game was at its best when you put in some rules for realism .... no fast travel, limited carry weight... need to sleep every night (with exception... set a limit of x hours max)... need to eat.

Also designing your character from the get-go... like if your character is an adventurer chances are he isn't crafting terribly much, so don't craft at all, or just do potions/poisons etc. Only make things to use, not to sell , and only sell things you find in chests.

Try to walk everywhere, that alone helps a ton.
I went with a no enchanting policy which was sort of fun and made stores useful again.

One thing that was fun is that I joined the Mage's Guild and put away all my equipment and started over with robes and such - using bound sword when I had to.

It was fun because the level was relatively high and yet my mage skills were pretty low. So I did all those quests as a "mage", only using those skills if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley
How about getting rid of unkillable Npcs? Not quest givers but its ****ing stupid I finished the civil war questline for the storm cloaks and there are still legion camps set up that have unkillable leaders... Let me clear the damn camp and kill them all
That was one of my biggest pet peeves in the game.

Last edited by NyQuil: 10-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
whiplash

I talked about it before but a fun thing to do, especially if the game is getting too easy, is: find a secluded spot in the woods near a mill or something. Ditch everything you have that can be ditched. Armor, weapons, clothes, soul gems, potions; eeeeeeeeverything except the quest items that can't be dropped (but don't use em if they're weapons). Then work your way back up. Murder everyone in the village/windmill, grab their gear (nothing like dual wielding a pickaxe and iron dagger) and find a dungeon. Clear it out, take everything in it and just keep finding better stuff along the way.

It's a lot of fun and challenging as hell if you come across a difficult dungeon too early on. I don't use magic (outside of shouts, which I allowed myself to use) but I suppose it wouldn't work all that well if you're a mage and can **** guys up without weapons anyway.

I, too, was disappointed that there was always at least 4 or 5 guys per setting that I couldn't kill. Nothing like calling down a storm in Whiterun and then rampaging through the whole town in the rain, only to have it ruined by dudes dropping to their knees and then popping back up, in utter futility, to try to take me on again

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

The quest in the mine was fun because I got to use the "bound weapons" spell since all of your items are taken.

They look so cool too.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I did find the game was at its best when you put in some rules for realism .... no fast travel, limited carry weight... need to sleep every night (with exception... set a limit of x hours max)... need to eat.

Also designing your character from the get-go... like if your character is an adventurer chances are he isn't crafting terribly much, so don't craft at all, or just do potions/poisons etc. Only make things to use, not to sell , and only sell things you find in chests.

Try to walk everywhere, that alone helps a ton.
I am going to try beating the game like that, but still havent decided my limits. I am thinking of no fast travel only tho.

What about a no perks challange?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:40 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

No smithing/enchanting will be a challenge.

It's fun too because you're much more interested in the loot you find.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Johnny Steps
Time to Step it Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
How about getting rid of unkillable Npcs? Not quest givers but its ****ing stupid I finished the civil war questline for the storm cloaks and there are still legion camps set up that have unkillable leaders... Let me clear the damn camp and kill them all
This, except it's Stormcloak captains for me. I hate unkilliable NPC's. That's one thing I preferred between Skyrim and FNV, there isn't as much (if any) hand holding in FNV like there is in the Skyrim main quest.

Johnny Steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:42 AM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I'm playing through again as an unarmed Argonian. It's a hell of a lot of fun.
unarmed Khajit thief. only fur armor, no weapons, no spells. It's very challenging and very fun.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
cynicism

Got Hearthfire. Made me play Skyrim for the first time since March or so. I'm currently role playing as a retired Dovakin living with his missus and a couple of adoptees. After completing all the main quests I don't feel like doing anything. Just building my house and moving stuff for a few hours was fun enough.

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Teemu
Meatball Enthusiast

vCash: 470
I've been doing a similar game recently. Khajiit "assassin" -- dual wield daggers, no magic, no armor (although I did eventually allow myself to wear the Thieves Guild armor, as I think it suitably fit the theme), no enchanting (but I can keep found enchantments), no smithing, no partners.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Darkhorse1280
Nigel Cadbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Got Hearthfire. Made me play Skyrim for the first time since March or so. I'm currently role playing as a retired Dovakin living with his missus and a couple of adoptees. After completing all the main quests I don't feel like doing anything. Just building my house and moving stuff for a few hours was fun enough.
Have any Giants tried to do a home invasion on your place yet?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Thinking about going back into Skyrim, but setting aside my Imperial tank for a different approach. Don't care at all about the storyline, which is why I barely touched it despite playing for at least 150 hours, as I only liked exploring, so starting anew probably would be fun.

Thinking about doing a more stealthy archer approach or a more magic-heavy focus, possibly one-handing it while using a shield for protection. I've pretty much played exclusively with a mace in one hand, spam healing with the other, and heavy armor for protection and feel like doing a bit of a different play style.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
unarmed Khajit thief. only fur armor, no weapons, no spells. It's very challenging and very fun.
It's a blast! Last night I charged at an unaware bandit. He noticed me only right as I get to him, goes "huh?" and turns just in time to get chokeslammed to death.

I've been powerleveling smithing, since unarmed damage is tied to gauntlet armor once you get Fists of Steel. I'm level 10 and rocking dwarven armor, I haven't done a single mission yet. I just run around punching everything I see to death.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-16-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
It's a blast! Last night I charged at an unaware bandit. He noticed me only right as I get to him, goes "huh?" and turns just in time to get chokeslammed to death.

My best roleplaying moment came in the plains, when I was suddenly accosted by a trio of mercs. They demanded payment to allow me to cross, and I wasn't going to give it to them. I took one slash as them, then turned and ran away. They couldn't keep up with my speed and I ended up hopping down a little cliff and hiding under an outcropping. They were right above my head and I could hear them talking, stuff like, "Where did he go?" and "He must have got away." I waited another 2 minutes before climbing back up and sneaking across the plains.

It was exhilirating and terrifying and everything it should be. For those few minutes, I was in legitimate fear that my character would be killed, because I knew I couldn't win that fight.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:

My best roleplaying moment came in the plains, when I was suddenly accosted by a trio of mercs. They demanded payment to allow me to cross, and I wasn't going to give it to them. I took one slash as them, then turned and ran away. They couldn't keep up with my speed and I ended up hopping down a little cliff and hiding under an outcropping. They were right above my head and I could hear them talking, stuff like, "Where did he go?" and "He must have got away." I waited another 2 minutes before climbing back up and sneaking across the plains.

It was exhilirating and terrifying and everything it should be. For those few minutes, I was in legitimate fear that my character would be killed, because I knew I couldn't win that fight.
Oh yeah. Last night I saw a Thalmor standing around outside a fort so I decided to beat him to death. I forgot that Northwatch Keep is just crawling with Thalmor, so I had to book it out of there with my hyperhealing power on with arrows falling all around me. I dove into the lake and stayed under until they lost track of me. Being an alligator has advantages.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
Oh yeah. Last night I saw a Thalmor standing around outside a fort so I decided to beat him to death. I forgot that Northwatch Keep is just crawling with Thalmor, so I had to book it out of there with my hyperhealing power on with arrows falling all around me. I dove into the lake and stayed under until they lost track of me. Being an alligator has advantages.
Yeah it does. That's why I have a tank in that race.

Sadly, the only character that I ever had the amulet of water breathing appear in that shop at the beginning of the game was with that character.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Yeah it does. That's why I have a tank in that race.

Sadly, the only character that I ever had the amulet of water breathing appear in that shop at the beginning of the game was with that character.
Weird. I get showered with amulets and rings that allow me to breath underwater. Same with shout time reduction, can't seem to find em fast enough

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
The first time I did the Thief's guild quest where you have to light the hives on fire, I snuck my way in, lit them up and then did a running jump swan dive into the lake and swam to safety with arrows flying around.

Great fun. The memories that stick with you are the "realistic ones". Not the ones where you slaughter everything without any real challenge.

Another was during the Dark Brotherhood quest where you wake up in the cabin in the middle of nowhere.

I was playing with my no fast travel rules, so I had a long walk all the way back to where I had been working on some quests.

Thankfully, after I'd made it to the road, a noble on a horse and his trusty bodyguard came by. A quick thanks to Sithis, an arrow to the back of the head, and another to the back of the knee, and I had my own horse to spirit me back to Riften.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The first time I did the Thief's guild quest where you have to light the hives on fire, I snuck my way in, lit them up and then did a running jump swan dive into the lake and swam to safety with arrows flying around.

Great fun. The memories that stick with you are the "realistic ones". Not the ones where you slaughter everything without any real challenge.

Another was during the Dark Brotherhood quest where you wake up in the cabin in the middle of nowhere.

I was playing with my no fast travel rules, so I had a long walk all the way back to where I had been working on some quests.

Thankfully, after I'd made it to the road, a noble on a horse and his trusty bodyguard came by. A quick thanks to Sithis, an arrow to the back of the head, and another to the back of the knee, and I had my own horse to spirit me back to Riften.
My bee quest didn't go so well. I accidentally bumped R2, said "Yol!" and took out a bunch of hives.

I ran into a noble and his bodyguard last night; I was over them on a hill, and a wolf attacked the guard. I began to run down the hill to kill everyone, and the guard killed the wolf. As he was in the middle of finishing his trash talk, I hit him out of the blue with a suplex and shattered his neck. The noble went next, and then things got real...the horse attacked me. That was actually a really hard fight, since I hadn't upped my armor to Dwarven yet, but I eventually put it down. I mean...that's about right. It shouldn't be easy to beat a horse in a fistfight.

Between the suplex and the bandit chokeslam, last night was the most smug/amusing time I've had with Skyrim. I'm having fun terrorizing the region. It's been a series of "Lancelot-Running-At-The-Guards" sort of experiences.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

One of my co-workers and I have been talking Skyrim almost non-stop at work.

I think I will be getting back into Skyrim tonight.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
My bee quest didn't go so well. I accidentally bumped R2, said "Yol!" and took out a bunch of hives.

I ran into a noble and his bodyguard last night; I was over them on a hill, and a wolf attacked the guard. I began to run down the hill to kill everyone, and the guard killed the wolf. As he was in the middle of finishing his trash talk, I hit him out of the blue with a suplex and shattered his neck. The noble went next, and then things got real...the horse attacked me. That was actually a really hard fight, since I hadn't upped my armor to Dwarven yet, but I eventually put it down. I mean...that's about right. It shouldn't be easy to beat a horse in a fistfight.

Between the suplex and the bandit chokeslam, last night was the most smug/amusing time I've had with Skyrim. I'm having fun terrorizing the region. It's been a series of "Lancelot-Running-At-The-Guards" sort of experiences.
The idea of extended fisticuffs with a horse is hilarious.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:02 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

There's a great blog about a guy playing as an Illusionist and he will only use illusion spells.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/09/an...skyrim-part-1/

http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/an-illusionist-in-skyrim/

Old
10-17-2012, 02:58 AM
Everlasting

Started on my first ever play with a khjat yesterday. I am gonna make him into an kickass assasin.

My main skills: Archery, lightarmor, sneak, illussion, pickpocketing and enchanting. (I know, its alot )
onehanded will be my almost main skill since i love killing people with daggers in this game.

Challenges: No fast travel.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:10 AM
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile

Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Started on my first ever play with a khjat yesterday. I am gonna make him into an kickass assasin.

My main skills: Archery, lightarmor, sneak, illussion, pickpocketing and enchanting. (I know, its alot )
onehanded will be my almost main skill since i love killing people with daggers in this game.

Challenges: No fast travel.
Assassin Khajiits Hell yeah!

Funnily enough, the skills I have my Khajiit are
Destruction 89
Restoration 45
Enchanting 60
Smithing 100
One Hand 89
Archery 92
Light Armor 87
Sneak 100
Lockpick 87

At this point, I'm not sure what type of class he is anymore, but I've been sticking to the assassin way to play because it's helluva lot of fun.

BaileyMacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure what to do on Skyrim now. I have my guy maxed out and everything. Although I don't really feel like starting a new one.

Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I'm not sure what to do on Skyrim now. I have my guy maxed out and everything. Although I don't really feel like starting a new one.
I'd stop playing for awhile.

Or try something fun like the Illusionist guy in the blog I posted.

It really is hilarious.

He will not use a weapon or any ability that causes damage directly.