HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor/Proposal Thread. Status: Offseason recon

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
s7ark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
what would you want added to accept it

i think its pretty tempting...kopitar is 24, pretty young. voynov would be very useful.

frankly i doubt LA would do it.
I quite like LA and watch them fairly often, and I wouldn't touch that deal. Kopitar is a great player but Yakupov could be incredible.

I doubt we win the lottery though.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Would you guys consider this if we land 1st overall?

To LA: 1st overall, Gagner

To EDM: Kopitar, Voinov

Supposedly Kopitar and Sutter aren't seeing eye-to-eye. As much as Gagner has progressed, the chance of having a 1-2 punch of RNH, Kopitar down the middle would surely be too much to resist. Voinov wouldn't be as complete as the high end Dmen in this draft, but he'd bring the same level of offence and could play right now. LA also gains significant cap room should they pursue Suter. They also get Carter back down the middle.

Our top 6:
Hall-RNH-Ebs
MPS-Kopitar-Hemsky

Their top 6:
Yakupov-Carter-Williams
Gagner-Richards-Brown

potential D pair of Suter-Doughty
Not for the first (Yakupov). but maybe I'd do it for the 2nd.

Are they trying to free up cap space? Penner and Stoll are off the books this summer. That's almost 8 mill.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Would you guys consider this if we land 1st overall?

To LA: 1st overall, Gagner

To EDM: Kopitar, Voinov

Supposedly Kopitar and Sutter aren't seeing eye-to-eye. As much as Gagner has progressed, the chance of having a 1-2 punch of RNH, Kopitar down the middle would surely be too much to resist. Voinov wouldn't be as complete as the high end Dmen in this draft, but he'd bring the same level of offence and could play right now. LA also gains significant cap room should they pursue Suter. They also get Carter back down the middle.

Our top 6:
Hall-RNH-Ebs
MPS-Kopitar-Hemsky

Their top 6:
Yakupov-Carter-Williams
Gagner-Richards-Brown

potential D pair of Suter-Doughty

Yes every day of the week.
Kopitar brings what Gagner brings but better on all levels.
Voynov would be a great addition.

Who cares about who might become an amazing player? Kopitar is dangerous now and will continue to be. My only issue is long term cap space, but that would be something that is easy to wiggle with.
Hall Nugent-Hopkins Eberle
Paajarvi Kopitar Hemsky

Yes. Please. Wow.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Was thinking about this. What if we could sign 2 guys like Carle and Jackman, AND draft Murray. This would certainly make Whitney expendable. This would make for a good unit, and some of the players have the potential to work for positions in all pairings

Petry
Smid
Carle
Schultz
Jackman
Murray
Sutton

So this deal would depend on how high The Islanders are on this player, but I have a feeling that they aren't

What about a gamble of Whitney for Kabanov? IMO Whitney with his health and play this season only gets us a 3rd anyway, why not take a risk on a guy like that for our forward depth?

Old
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Koto

i'd be pretty happy if either of those two UFAs chose us.

dont get your hopes up.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Koto

i dont understand where people think all we have to do is set our sights on ufa X, and we get him.

even if you offer the best contract, you dont necessarily get him.

location+quality of team are important to good players.

you can only outbid for low end players, ones that dont get set for life off one contract (like eager, belanger, barker we outbid people for.)

Old
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
What about a gamble of Whitney for Kabanov? IMO Whitney with his health and play this season only gets us a 3rd anyway, why not take a risk on a guy like that for our forward depth?
I wouldn't trade my old jock for Kabanov. That guy is a joke.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
i'd be pretty happy if either of those two UFAs chose us.

dont get your hopes up.
I'm afraid peoples hopes are already sky high and they expected us to land solid UFA's last year, let alone this year. I bet a lot of posters will call for Tambo's head if we don't sign one of the 3 best UFA defenceman this offseason.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

With the way San Jose is struggling, I think there is a good chance they shake things up this off-season.

Would anybody be interested in Boyle. He is 35, so he would certainly not be a long term solution, but he could really help us push for the playoffs next year.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
With the way San Jose is struggling, I think there is a good chance they shake things up this off-season.

Would anybody be interested in Boyle. He is 35, so he would certainly not be a long term solution, but he could really help us push for the playoffs next year.
I'd be interested, the question is what's the asking price?

Old
03-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Considering how healthy we've been this season and we're still in 29th and flirting like hell with 30th... I'm not even thinking about playoff pushes anymore. If the Oilers can get to the point where they're drafting 10th overall or something... that'll be my playoffs.

Old
03-09-2012, 07:01 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
i dont understand where people think all we have to do is set our sights on ufa X, and we get him.

even if you offer the best contract, you dont necessarily get him.

location+quality of team are important to good players.

you can only outbid for low end players, ones that dont get set for life off one contract (like eager, belanger, barker we outbid people for.)
It's not wrong to be hopeful that we add some quality D-men, when Tambi was quoted to say he wants to acquire atleast 1, if not 2, top-end d-men. (I'm assuming it means top 4 guys). Giving Carle and Jackman as examples, given that quote, is a fairly realistic expectation. Also understanding that it's possible it has to happen through trade.

Old
03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Was thinking about this. What if we could sign 2 guys like Carle and Jackman, AND draft Murray. This would certainly make Whitney expendable. This would make for a good unit, and some of the players have the potential to work for positions in all pairings

Petry
Smid
Carle
Schultz
Jackman
Murray
Sutton

So this deal would depend on how high The Islanders are on this player, but I have a feeling that they aren't

You point out Whitney's health issues and his play this season.

Kabanov followed up a great 2010-2011 postseason ,with a very good 2011-2012 regular season.There haven't been any on ice or off ice problems.He'll be 20 ,old enough to play at Bridgeport next season.I expect he'll get a cup of coffee call up to the big club at some point next season.

No interest in moving Kabanov,gambling on Whitney improving his health and play.

Old
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Enlighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo;45782649[QUOTE
]Considering how healthy we've been this season
and we're still in 29th and flirting like hell with 30th... I'm not even thinking about playoff pushes anymore. If the Oilers can get to the point where they're drafting 10th overall or something... that'll be my playoffs.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're joking about being healthy here.
We went without our entire top line this year at one point.As soon as someone started playing good they got injured. With the slight exception being Eberle but that kid is just unreal this year. Potter was tearing up before he was injured. Gagner was playing stronger then i've ever seen him in the preseason and then he blew out his ankle. Hemsky looked really good before he went back IR. Nugent hopkins was the real killer though poor kid had the calder in his back pocket before he went down and it wasn't even close. My point is as soon we started losing guy's we were forced to start using guys in the wrong places, examples Potter and Barker top 4 spots. If we were serious about making a push for a spot this year we should have picked up another D man in the summer or early season just in case of complications with Whitney.But that's besides the point don't think for one second that the oilers were ever HEALTHY this year.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So I don't think I'm the only one thinking we need some better secondary scoring.

If MPS spends another season in the AHL, would it be the worst thing in the world?

He's not a PPG in the AHL right now, and penciling him into our top-6 next season makes no sense.

Conversely, Omark, while being talented, isn't the type of player we need in the top-6.

Problem becomes finding cap space for another player in our top-6, considering Eberle and Hall need new contracts after next season.

03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So I don't think I'm the only one thinking we need some better secondary scoring.

If MPS spends another season in the AHL, would it be the worst thing in the world?

He's not a PPG in the AHL right now, and penciling him into our top-6 next season makes no sense.

Conversely, Omark, while being talented, isn't the type of player we need in the top-6.

Problem becomes finding cap space for another player in our top-6, considering Eberle and Hall need new contracts after next season.
Martin Havlat on a 1 yr deal?

Old
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Petr Sykora is less of a risk than Havlat IMHO.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Martin Havlat on a 1 yr deal?
So he is getting bought out this year and we are signing him?

Old
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Petr Sykora is less of a risk than Havlat IMHO.
Rather take Penner.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yeah he still has 3 years and $15 mil left after this season. No thanks.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Rather take Penner.
I don't understand why ahaha.

Sykora will actually produce and I bet he'll cost >2mil.

Penner? What are we looking at here 2.5 for a big, lazy guy who's scored like three goals in the last year?

Old
03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I think the bigger problem is finding the UFA that wants to play in our top 6.

I don't have an issue with MPS playing in our top 6 next year. After his call up from the AHL, I thought he looked a lot better. We don't need a lights out guy in our top 6, just a solid 2-way guy with speed, some solid battle and decent hands. MPS fills some of that, but obviously has some work to do with battle and improving his puck work.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Koto

Quote:
It's not wrong to be hopeful that we add some quality D-men, when Tambi was quoted to say he wants to acquire atleast 1, if not 2, top-end d-men. (I'm assuming it means top 4 guys). Giving Carle and Jackman as examples, given that quote, is a fairly realistic expectation. Also understanding that it's possible it has to happen through trade.
You are saying two different things.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Does he have time left, I thought he was a UFA this summer.

Oh, wow, my mistake. He's got 3 years left, ouch.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I don't have an issue with MPS playing in our top 6 next year. After his call up from the AHL, I thought he looked a lot better. We don't need a lights out guy in our top 6, just a solid 2-way guy with speed, some solid battle and decent hands. MPS fills some of that, but obviously has some work to do with battle and improving his puck work.
Really?

Currently we rank 19th in the NHL in terms of goal scored. Decent, but still below average.

Right now our team possesses 7 10+ goal scorers.

Problem with that is of those 7, 3 of those guys' majority of the goals came before december.

In 2012 Ryan Smyth has 4 goals in 30 games.
In 2012 Shawn Horcoff has 5 goals in 30 games.
In 2012 Ryan Jones has 3 goals in 30 games.

That is #3, 6 and 7 in terms of our goal scorers with 10+ goals.

MPS isn't exactly entering a lineup with decent goal scoring, we're top heavy.

The three players who I pointed to above are players who are pretty good bets to have decreased production next year.

We need some secondary scoring.

Closed Thread