HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

10,000 Pt XXVII: One of our posters is a cannibal, try to guess which one.

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Aside from the quality of the graphics (which is amazing) it just feels like 'been there done that' without an intriguing story to back up.

That said, I just don't enjoy games anymore that don't have some kind of quality storytelling. I used to, but I don't anymore, at all. I'm level 20 in Skyrim and i'm less interested in playing it than when i was level 2.
Fair enough. I guess I'm still young enough where all I really need is explosions, lasers, swords, fireballs, some bootleg gameplay and I'm all set.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Aside from the quality of the graphics (which is amazing) it just feels like 'been there done that' without an intriguing story to back up.

That said, I just don't enjoy games anymore that don't have some kind of quality storytelling. I used to, but I don't anymore, at all. I'm level 20 in Skyrim and i'm less interested in playing it than when i was level 2.
That's the thing I've been playing Bethesda games forever so I'm used to the formula they've been using to crank out games. It was fun for about 30 hours then it just seemed a bit like work. Also I'm not trying to be one of those ****** bag kotaku wannabe journalists that say a game is 10/10 when it comes out but adapt a revisionist view on it just to **** on a game.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Took enough arrows to the knee?

Seriously, it's grossly overrated.
I agree.

1) Controls are terrible (sluggish)
2) UI (on pc) is pathetic.
3) Many quests require you to do stupid things to complete them. Like join the mage guild, when I'm already in the warrior guild... Or worse join the thieves guild, when I'm a good guy...
4) Inventory system is incredibly cumbersome and tedious to keep organized
5) Horses don't run much faster than you do...
6) You can't summon your horse
7) Way too many skill trees for the amount of skill points you get.
8) Your companions will get stuck just about everywhere

I could go on and on. Game is just so sloppy to play I dont understand all the love for it. Graphics just are not enough for me.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, me too! And I didn't realize I could until I uninstalled it.

I am actually quite disappointed to hear about the story. Storytelling is my component of any video game so if it's really lacking, it might not be worth the money for me.
No spoilers, because there isn't really anything to spoil, but the plot (as far as I can gather) literally is:

Dragons have returned to Skryim. Conveniently you are the only person that can kill Dragons and you just happened to show up at the needed time. Kill the dragons (and figure out why they showed up, but thats not really important).

Also there is some political nonsense with cities fighting other cities and whatnot, but it's never really made clear why I'm supposed to care because everyone treats you like an outsider anyway.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:07 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, me too! And I didn't realize I could until I uninstalled it.

I am actually quite disappointed to hear about the story. Storytelling is my component of any video game so if it's really lacking, it might not be worth the money for me.
Yeah, if I could go back I probably wouldn't have bought it, or I would have followed your plan and waited for a sweet steam sale. It was fun for a little while, then just started to get really tedious. Which is sort of how I felt about Fallout 3 actually (although New Vegas I enjoyed thoroughly).

I can't wait for work to be done so I can go home and start playing ME3, assuming no one stole the package off my porch...

Old
03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Which is sort of how I felt about Fallout 3 actually (although New Vegas I enjoyed thoroughly).
You're not the only one. While I liked Fallout 3, it was very forgettable and I never returned to play it again (although I originally intended to). Whereas with New Vegas, I put in over 200 hours on it and did multiple playthroughs for all of the different alliances in it.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
You're not the only one. While I liked Fallout 3, it was very forgettable and I never returned to play it again (although I originally intended to). Whereas with New Vegas, I put in over 200 hours on it and did multiple playthroughs for all of the different alliances in it.
Same here actually, I wasn't a huge fan of Fallout 3. NV on the other hand seemed a little closer to the older generation (which are my favorite games of all time).

They still leave a lot to be desired and I was deeply saddened when I found out Interplay lost the rights to their Fallout MMO.

Also have no fear the next great game is almost here..

Last edited by Graveland: 03-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Prius!

I know, I'm a dork, but I'm laughing at you when I spend $30 to fill up and get 450 miles to a tank
Trust me, I wish I could afford one. Or a Volt. ****, I know someone who has a Volt. He just filled up his tank for the first time after 2,000 miles.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Same here actually, I wasn't a huge fan of Fallout 3. NV on the other hand seemed a little closer to the older generation (which are my favorite games of all time).

They still leave a lot to be desired and I was deeply saddened when I found out Interplay lost the rights to their Fallout MMO.

Also have no fear the next great game is almost here..
It's already here, it came out today

Seriously though, franchises I'd love to see resurrected are Secret of Mana, Summoner (2 was stupid, but 1 was a lot of fun), Dungeon Keeper, Space Quest...

Nother sequel to an underrated game i'm looking forward to is Darksiders 2.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
It's already here, it came out today

Seriously though, franchises I'd love to see resurrected are Secret of Mana, Summoner (2 was stupid, but 1 was a lot of fun), Dungeon Keeper, Space Quest...

Nother sequel to an underrated game i'm looking forward to is Darksiders 2.
Can't wait for Darksiders 2, Downpour (for some unknown reason). Don't even get me started un Dungeon Keeper EA!. I want a Monster Hunter westernized type of game. I'd love for them do Jade Cocoon again .

Old
03-06-2012, 06:32 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I thought Red Dead Redemption was vastly overrated.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Couldn't play anymore once I got to Mexico. ****'s gone old.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Couldn't play anymore once I got to Mexico. ****'s gone old.
I got to the exact same point. Got to the first town in Mexico and never played it again.

I just played throg GTA San Andreas for the second time and I enjoyed the whole thing. Despite knowing the story. I don't know why RDD was so popular. No where near as good as the GTA games.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
I've kept up with Assassin's Creed and well...

-squee-

Old
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 853
Quote:
When I worked in video game testing I was on that game for 3 weeks. It was awesome at first, but by the end I wanted to shoot myself.

I did complete a life goal of mine though, which was to 100% a Rockstar game

Old
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Anyone getting Max Payne 3? Mid-May should be the release date but who knows with Rockstar, probably December or something.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post

-squee-
AC just makes me want to play

But respect homie.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
jwhitesj

So I have a question for you gamers. My favorite non sports non music games have been GTA and Call of Duty. Are there any other franchises that I could try out for XBOX 360 that I might enjoy. If so, where should I start with the series. Such as if I get Assassins Creed should I start from the first 360 release or would picking it up from another point be fine.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post

-squee-
Wait. The American Revolution? So that means it's gonna be alot of wilderness then. French Revolution would have been pretty rad too but I'll hold judgement till there's more than a trailer but right now, I'm not too pumped up for that.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 853
Quote:
So I have a question for you gamers. My favorite non sports non music games have been GTA and Call of Duty. Are there any other franchises that I could try out for XBOX 360 that I might enjoy. If so, where should I start with the series. Such as if I get Assassins Creed should I start from the first 360 release or would picking it up from another point be fine.
Battlefield would be my suggestion.

I personally hated Assassins Creed. Felt like you just jumped in the middle of a group of guys and smashed one button to assassinate one after the other. Got boring real quickly for me personally.

I'm guessing you aren't so much into the RPG aspect of things, and just like to kill and shoot things with minimal story line?

Old
03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Assassins Creed 1 is terribad I would abstain from playing it since it might leave you a bit jaded toward the franchise .

Mass effect - If you like story, FPS/Cover gameplay.

Dragon Age - Pretty World of Warcraft w/ story

Portal 2 - Awesome Puzzles and a nice story with interesting and unique characters.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - If you like batman its a must, the combat is by far the best in any game.

Borderlands - Post apocalyptic, rpg-style FPS pretty awesome 2 is coming out in a few months.

Skyrim - Open world, hack and slash, tolkien style RPG.

Bioshock - survival horror fps both games are great.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I would start Mass Effect from 1 and Bioshock other than that all the other games can be jumped into without feeling like you missed something.

I'd say Borderlands for you since you seem to like open worlds and FPS.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post
Battlefield would be my suggestion.

I personally hated Assassins Creed. Felt like you just jumped in the middle of a group of guys and smashed one button to assassinate one after the other. Got boring real quickly for me personally.

I'm guessing you aren't so much into the RPG aspect of things, and just like to kill and shoot things with minimal story line?
Pretty much, I played fable got bored with the story pretty quick. I just like games that let me blow crap up in fun and different ways with objectives to meet. I liked Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare best because you got to shoot out of an airplane and some other things with minimal stroy other than, your in a war and need to kick ass.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Assassins Creed 1 is terribad I would abstain from playing it since it might leave you a bit jaded toward the franchise .

Mass effect - If you like story, FPS/Cover gameplay.

Dragon Age - Pretty World of Warcraft w/ story

Portal 2 - Awesome Puzzles and a nice story with interesting and unique characters.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - If you like batman its a must, the combat is by far the best in any game.

Borderlands - Post apocalyptic, rpg-style FPS pretty awesome 2 is coming out in a few months.

Skyrim - Open world, hack and slash, tolkien style RPG.

Bioshock - survival horror fps both games are great.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I would start Mass Effect from 1 and Bioshock other than that all the other games can be jumped into without feeling like you missed something.

I'd say Borderlands for you since you seem to like open worlds and FPS.
Mass Effect - Story too deep
Portal 2 - Played on PC, I loved that game and Steven Merchant is hella funny
Bioshock - I sucked at that game and again, found the story deeper than I cared for.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Avoid Dragon Age 2. It was so boring and repetitive. Try out:

-Dead Rising 2
-Shadows of the Dammed
-Red Dead Redemption
-Saints Row 2&3
-Bully
-Castlevania Lord of Shadows
-Alan Wake

Old
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
I played it for about an hour and I couldn't stand shooting from a horse, the whole mechanic bugged the crap out of me and made me not want to play it at all.

Quote:
I'm biased because I worked on all of them, but check out Dead Space. Action-horror game with lots of blood and violence. Story driven, make sure you play it with a good audio setup.

Closed Thread