HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXVII: One of our posters is a cannibal, try to guess which one.

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.
You see, what she really wants is for you to cook all of these new special meals for her, and participate in this diet as well.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
So speaking of food.

uhg.

Your wife may be a cat; they have about the same attention span

I'm like you though in that I do all of the cooking. I'm quite good at it and she's content with the cleaning afterwards. Watching my grandmother in the kitchen every day of my childhood really inspired me.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
jwhitesj

My wife is a fantastic cook, she went to the cullinary academy after she graduated highschool, aboout 10 years ago. Sometimes her cooking is too good and that's why I've gained 50 pounds since we've met.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
You see, what she really wants is for you to cook all of these new special meals for her, and participate in this diet as well.
I'm kind of forced to participate, which is fine. I could stand to lose a few pounds. She on the other hand has let it get a bit out of hand after the kid was born, so I'm happy to support her getting her diet back in order.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
She on the other hand has let it get a bit out of hand after the kid was born
Better hope she doesn't read HF

Old
03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Cooking eh?

I used to help grandma and grandpa make dumplings. Wrapped the meat and vegetables by hand. Always felt that making them that way makes it taste all the better. Plus frying them with water and a bit of oil makes the juices stay. After that, mix some sugar with soy sauce and black vinegar to make some dumpling dipping sauce and viola! First thing I learned to cook other than eggs and spam

Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Is your blog only things that I can make in the time of an intermission? If so, I will use it all the time
Haha not quite, the salmon ceviche quesadilla recipe for example takes 4-5 hours of prep. Reason being that the salmon is "cold cooked" by letting it marinate in lemon/lime juice and letting the acidity cook it. But I plan to do a lot of different types of recipes. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, prefer hole in the walls to white table cloth dining, so you'll likely see that come out in my recipes.

Next week, I'm posting a recipe next Tuesday for a cinnamon roll coffee ice cream cake that takes 5 minutes to prepare. I tested it out last night with some friends and they loved it! Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
That food sure looks delicious, Iron Chef!
Thank you!

Quote:
But it's Sriracha Sour Cream, and Sriracha makes anything exponentially better.
Amen to that. It's no coincidence that both recipes on my blog so far have Sriracha as an ingredient. I even put it on my turkey sandwich today and stuffed some Funions in there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Cooking eh?

I used to help grandma and grandpa make dumplings. Wrapped the meat and vegetables by hand. Always felt that making them that way makes it taste all the better. Plus frying them with water and a bit of oil makes the juices stay. After that, mix some sugar with soy sauce and black vinegar to make some dumpling dipping sauce and viola! First thing I learned to cook other than eggs and spam
Quote:
Watching my grandmother in the kitchen every day of my childhood really inspired me.
That's how I started cooking too. Spending time with grandma in the kitchen when I was a young lad. Very similar story to yours as well. I would make Pakistani samosas with her which has almost identical prep as dumplings! I definitely plan to have my future kids develop a respect for food by showing them that cooking is fun and having them participate!

Last edited by Iron Chef: 03-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
I'm fairly good at cooking, and I had to decide 4 years ago between two schools- a sort of a occupation school to become a chef, or the one that I ultimately chose. I regret that decision a bit because I could be working full-time now in a restaurant or something, but now I'm just left with a piece of paper and compulsion to go to yet another school to get a decent job..

I hate cooking at home though when my mum is around, she won't shut up and keeps complaining about every single little detail that I'm supposedly doing wrong.

Old
03-09-2012, 04:22 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Better hope she doesn't read HF
She doesn't She's also not even remotely self-conscious, which is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Next week, I'm posting a recipe next Tuesday for a cinnamon roll coffee ice cream cake that takes 5 minutes to prepare. I tested it out last night with some friends and they loved it! Stay tuned
Sounded good till you said Coffee, I hate Coffee

I recently started trying to learn to make a few desserts for when we have people over. My wife bakes, can even do cake decorating and stuff, but I thought it would be nice to make some fancy desserts. I've gotten pretty good at Banana's Foster recently, and guest's always think that's awesome when you make it (fire!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'm fairly good at cooking, and I had to decide 4 years ago between two schools- a sort of a occupation school to become a chef, or the one that I ultimately chose. I regret that decision a bit because I could be working full-time now in a restaurant or something, but now I'm just left with a piece of paper and compulsion to go to yet another school to get a decent job..

I hate cooking at home though when my mum is around, she won't shut up and keeps complaining about every single little detail that I'm supposedly doing wrong.
Wow, that's brutal. My parents won't give me constructive criticism at all, total opposite. It's like "its great!" and I'm going "no really, it isn't, what's wrong with it?" "No its great!" "...."

Also, I'm recruited every year to make the Thanksgiving turkey, I have yet to screw one up, but this year my Father-in-law decided to do it. My mom keeps nagging at him to ask me how to do this or that, annoyed the hell out of him. He did ruin the turkey though, I told him not to use the convection...

Old
03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
She doesn't She's also not even remotely self-conscious, which is amazing.
Always a sign of an awesome woman

Old
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
That's how I started cooking too. Spending time with grandma in the kitchen when I was a young lad. Very similar story to yours as well. I would make Pakistani samosas with her which has almost identical prep as dumplings! I definitely plan to have my future kids develop a respect for food by showing them that cooking is fun and having them participate!
Nice! We're very alike in our lessons and applications.

I was raised by the Mexican half of my family so it was very beneficial to learn the complex dishes of Northern Mexico. Heck, I'd never attempt a gumbo if I didn't learn how to make different types of mole sauce from my grandma (both use a roux).

I'm planning for the same when we finally decide to have kids. Fast food will be a very rare occurrence. I want my house to be the one where all the kids want to stay for dinner

Old
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
All this talk about cooking reminded me on how my mom would cook crabs. What she would do is get live crabs from the local Lucky 99 Ranch market (about 2 of them) and get a big steam pot. She'd put beer (Heineken if I remember correctly) and put the crabs inside the pot. Then she'd slow cook them in the beer. She'd always told me that the crabs are too drunk to know they're being slowly killed. It tasted pretty good and she'd squeeze some lemons and pepper into a separate dish for dipping. You can barely taste the beer. It won't intoxicate you, but it's there.

Ah.... I miss that

Old
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Wow, that's brutal. My parents won't give me constructive criticism at all, total opposite. It's like "its great!" and I'm going "no really, it isn't, what's wrong with it?" "No its great!" "...."
She nags about everything, car rides when I'm driving are the worst.

Miraculously, she hasn't found yet a thing to complain about my gf. And as I said it now, she'll probably come up with a few by tomorrow..

Old
03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
So speaking of food.

uhg.
...The hell?

You're married to my wife too?

Old
03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

I love to cook and I'm damn good at it. It's one of just a few things that I can do really well. I learned from my grandparents who taught me everything I know. I put my cooking and Italian food up against anyone in the country.

Old
03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I love to cook and I'm damn good at it. It's one of just a few things that I can do really well. I learned from my grandparents who taught me everything I know. I put my cooking and Italian food up against anyone in the country.
Sharks potluck. Let's get fat together!

Old
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
What the hell? Did Mafoofoo's avatar hit puberty?
Ahahaha nah, I figured since the Sharks need to play like it's the playoffs...to make them I should give my avatar a playoff beard.

This is it hitting puberty

Old
03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Ahahaha nah, I figured since the Sharks need to play like it's the playoffs...to make them I should give my avatar a playoff beard.

This is it hitting puberty

There is not one thing about this that I do not love

Old
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:

Old
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
I'll bring Mämmi.

Old
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Quote:
when I'm back in the bay area...hell yeah!

Old
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'll bring Mämmi.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:32 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Y5HWMW

Game of Thrones on BluRay (season 1): 56% off

Old
03-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Y5HWMW

Game of Thrones on BluRay (season 1): 56% off
I got the Stark packaging from Best Buy, it's 34.99 there too.

Closed Thread