HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 Pt XXVII: One of our posters is a cannibal, try to guess which one.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
  #376
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,944
vCash: 500
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
  #377
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.
You see, what she really wants is for you to cook all of these new special meals for her, and participate in this diet as well.

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
  #378
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.

Your wife may be a cat; they have about the same attention span

I'm like you though in that I do all of the cooking. I'm quite good at it and she's content with the cleaning afterwards. Watching my grandmother in the kitchen every day of my childhood really inspired me.

__________________

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
  #379
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
My wife is a fantastic cook, she went to the cullinary academy after she graduated highschool, aboout 10 years ago. Sometimes her cooking is too good and that's why I've gained 50 pounds since we've met.

jwhitesj is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  #380
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
You see, what she really wants is for you to cook all of these new special meals for her, and participate in this diet as well.
I'm kind of forced to participate, which is fine. I could stand to lose a few pounds. She on the other hand has let it get a bit out of hand after the kid was born, so I'm happy to support her getting her diet back in order.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:41 PM
  #381
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
She on the other hand has let it get a bit out of hand after the kid was born
Better hope she doesn't read HF

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
  #382
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,649
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Cooking eh?

I used to help grandma and grandpa make dumplings. Wrapped the meat and vegetables by hand. Always felt that making them that way makes it taste all the better. Plus frying them with water and a bit of oil makes the juices stay. After that, mix some sugar with soy sauce and black vinegar to make some dumpling dipping sauce and viola! First thing I learned to cook other than eggs and spam

Inub0i is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  #383
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Is your blog only things that I can make in the time of an intermission? If so, I will use it all the time
Haha not quite, the salmon ceviche quesadilla recipe for example takes 4-5 hours of prep. Reason being that the salmon is "cold cooked" by letting it marinate in lemon/lime juice and letting the acidity cook it. But I plan to do a lot of different types of recipes. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, prefer hole in the walls to white table cloth dining, so you'll likely see that come out in my recipes.

Next week, I'm posting a recipe next Tuesday for a cinnamon roll coffee ice cream cake that takes 5 minutes to prepare. I tested it out last night with some friends and they loved it! Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
That food sure looks delicious, Iron Chef!
Thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
But it's Sriracha Sour Cream, and Sriracha makes anything exponentially better.
Amen to that. It's no coincidence that both recipes on my blog so far have Sriracha as an ingredient. I even put it on my turkey sandwich today and stuffed some Funions in there as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Cooking eh?

I used to help grandma and grandpa make dumplings. Wrapped the meat and vegetables by hand. Always felt that making them that way makes it taste all the better. Plus frying them with water and a bit of oil makes the juices stay. After that, mix some sugar with soy sauce and black vinegar to make some dumpling dipping sauce and viola! First thing I learned to cook other than eggs and spam
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Watching my grandmother in the kitchen every day of my childhood really inspired me.
That's how I started cooking too. Spending time with grandma in the kitchen when I was a young lad. Very similar story to yours as well. I would make Pakistani samosas with her which has almost identical prep as dumplings! I definitely plan to have my future kids develop a respect for food by showing them that cooking is fun and having them participate!


Last edited by Iron Chef: 03-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Iron Chef is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  #384
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 23,424
vCash: 0
I'm fairly good at cooking, and I had to decide 4 years ago between two schools- a sort of a occupation school to become a chef, or the one that I ultimately chose. I regret that decision a bit because I could be working full-time now in a restaurant or something, but now I'm just left with a piece of paper and compulsion to go to yet another school to get a decent job..

I hate cooking at home though when my mum is around, she won't shut up and keeps complaining about every single little detail that I'm supposedly doing wrong.

SoupyFIN is online now  
Old
03-09-2012, 04:22 PM
  #385
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Better hope she doesn't read HF
She doesn't She's also not even remotely self-conscious, which is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Next week, I'm posting a recipe next Tuesday for a cinnamon roll coffee ice cream cake that takes 5 minutes to prepare. I tested it out last night with some friends and they loved it! Stay tuned
Sounded good till you said Coffee, I hate Coffee

I recently started trying to learn to make a few desserts for when we have people over. My wife bakes, can even do cake decorating and stuff, but I thought it would be nice to make some fancy desserts. I've gotten pretty good at Banana's Foster recently, and guest's always think that's awesome when you make it (fire!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'm fairly good at cooking, and I had to decide 4 years ago between two schools- a sort of a occupation school to become a chef, or the one that I ultimately chose. I regret that decision a bit because I could be working full-time now in a restaurant or something, but now I'm just left with a piece of paper and compulsion to go to yet another school to get a decent job..

I hate cooking at home though when my mum is around, she won't shut up and keeps complaining about every single little detail that I'm supposedly doing wrong.
Wow, that's brutal. My parents won't give me constructive criticism at all, total opposite. It's like "its great!" and I'm going "no really, it isn't, what's wrong with it?" "No its great!" "...."

Also, I'm recruited every year to make the Thanksgiving turkey, I have yet to screw one up, but this year my Father-in-law decided to do it. My mom keeps nagging at him to ask me how to do this or that, annoyed the hell out of him. He did ruin the turkey though, I told him not to use the convection...

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
  #386
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
She doesn't She's also not even remotely self-conscious, which is amazing.
Always a sign of an awesome woman

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
  #387
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
That's how I started cooking too. Spending time with grandma in the kitchen when I was a young lad. Very similar story to yours as well. I would make Pakistani samosas with her which has almost identical prep as dumplings! I definitely plan to have my future kids develop a respect for food by showing them that cooking is fun and having them participate!
Nice! We're very alike in our lessons and applications.

I was raised by the Mexican half of my family so it was very beneficial to learn the complex dishes of Northern Mexico. Heck, I'd never attempt a gumbo if I didn't learn how to make different types of mole sauce from my grandma (both use a roux).

I'm planning for the same when we finally decide to have kids. Fast food will be a very rare occurrence. I want my house to be the one where all the kids want to stay for dinner

slocal is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
  #388
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,649
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
All this talk about cooking reminded me on how my mom would cook crabs. What she would do is get live crabs from the local Lucky 99 Ranch market (about 2 of them) and get a big steam pot. She'd put beer (Heineken if I remember correctly) and put the crabs inside the pot. Then she'd slow cook them in the beer. She'd always told me that the crabs are too drunk to know they're being slowly killed. It tasted pretty good and she'd squeeze some lemons and pepper into a separate dish for dipping. You can barely taste the beer. It won't intoxicate you, but it's there.

Ah.... I miss that

Inub0i is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:20 PM
  #389
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 23,424
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Wow, that's brutal. My parents won't give me constructive criticism at all, total opposite. It's like "its great!" and I'm going "no really, it isn't, what's wrong with it?" "No its great!" "...."
She nags about everything, car rides when I'm driving are the worst.

Miraculously, she hasn't found yet a thing to complain about my gf. And as I said it now, she'll probably come up with a few by tomorrow..

SoupyFIN is online now  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
  #390
7150
Lockout Season
 
7150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
So speaking of food.

First let me say that my wife could not cook a meal from scratch if her life depended on it. Since we've been married I have literally cooked 95% of every meal that wasn't pre-made. 100% if you don't count boxed dinners (hamburger helper, etc).

Also, she hates most vegetables and even though I'm a fairly decent cook generally just picks at them.

So yesterday she decided to go on this super strict diet right. She's got all these restrictions on what she can and cant eat, and what she can and cant use to cook with.

I look at her and go "You realize you don't know how to cook, let alone using limited ingredients, right?"

She goes "I want you to teach me how" (I've offered for 13 years, she's never taken me up on it).

So i'm like fine, I'll be supportive, lets make chicken tonight and I'll show you the basics.

I swear I get 5 minutes into it and she's off doing other chores and playing with the kid.

uhg.
...The hell?

You're married to my wife too?

7150 is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  #391
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,589
vCash: 500
I love to cook and I'm damn good at it. It's one of just a few things that I can do really well. I learned from my grandparents who taught me everything I know. I put my cooking and Italian food up against anyone in the country.

__________________
"I hate books; they only teach us to talk about things we know nothing about."
-Jean Jacques Rousseau
USF Shark is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  #392
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
I love to cook and I'm damn good at it. It's one of just a few things that I can do really well. I learned from my grandparents who taught me everything I know. I put my cooking and Italian food up against anyone in the country.
Sharks potluck. Let's get fat together!

slocal is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
  #393
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
What the hell? Did Mafoofoo's avatar hit puberty?
Ahahaha nah, I figured since the Sharks need to play like it's the playoffs...to make them I should give my avatar a playoff beard.

This is it hitting puberty


Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
  #394
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!
 
slocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Osos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Ahahaha nah, I figured since the Sharks need to play like it's the playoffs...to make them I should give my avatar a playoff beard.

This is it hitting puberty

There is not one thing about this that I do not love

slocal is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:48 PM
  #395
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Sharks potluck. Let's get fat together!

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
  #396
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 23,424
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Sharks potluck. Let's get fat together!
I'll bring Mämmi.

SoupyFIN is online now  
Old
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
  #397
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Sharks potluck. Let's get fat together!
when I'm back in the bay area...hell yeah!

USF Shark is offline  
Old
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
  #398
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'll bring Mämmi.



Graveland is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 01:32 AM
  #399
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,032
vCash: 500
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Y5HWMW

Game of Thrones on BluRay (season 1): 56% off

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 01:37 AM
  #400
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003Y5HWMW

Game of Thrones on BluRay (season 1): 56% off
I got the Stark packaging from Best Buy, it's 34.99 there too.

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.