HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who Will Play Goal For Team Canada WJC?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
  #1
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Who Will Play Goal For Team Canada WJC?

Thoughts?

Juicer is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:27 PM
  #2
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
The front-runner from the 'Dub for a spot on the team appears to be Rejean Beauchemin.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
  #3
Kardi
Registered User
 
Kardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,884
vCash: 500
i am gonna go with shantz

Kardi is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
  #4
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
The front-runner from the 'Dub for a spot on the team appears to be Rejean Beauchemin.
If that's the case, Justin Pogge should have the same odds...

Rejean Beauchemin: 18-6-10-1, 1 SO, 2.74 GAA, .908 %
Justin Pogge: 11-5-3-2, 3 SO, 2.45 GAA, .903 %

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:51 PM
  #5
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
If that's the case, Justin Pogge should have the same odds...

Rejean Beauchemin: 18-6-10-1, 1 SO, 2.74 GAA, .908 %
Justin Pogge: 11-5-3-2, 3 SO, 2.45 GAA, .903 %
Who the heck is that scoring that goal in your avatar?What a pretty goal!!!!!

espo* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 08:54 PM
  #6
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Who the heck is that scoring that goal in your avatar?What a pretty goal!!!!!
Alex Steen.

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6772/vba50a7adfa.gif

But, let's not go off topic.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:08 PM
  #7
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
If that's the case, Justin Pogge should have the same odds...

Rejean Beauchemin: 18-6-10-1, 1 SO, 2.74 GAA, .908 %
Justin Pogge: 11-5-3-2, 3 SO, 2.45 GAA, .903 %
Pogge is not even close. There has been no indication Pogge is even in the running.

BTW, that goal is pretty sweet.

Juicer is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:14 PM
  #8
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Alex Steen.

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6772/vba50a7adfa.gif

But, let's not go off topic.
Don't worry,just wanted to know who scored that goal,it's great

espo* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:14 PM
  #9
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Pogge is not even close. There has been no indication Pogge is even in the running.

BTW, that goal is pretty sweet.
Well, it is a pretty weak year in net for Canada, so if Rejean does take the #1 spot, it'll obviously be based on his age and the opportunity he got this past summer to attend the camp. It surely won't have anything to do with him being a better prospect than Pogge if they don't give the kid a shot.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:16 PM
  #10
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,434
vCash: 500
If I were to bet on who I'd believe will win the two goaltending spots on this team, it would be David Shantz and Devan Dubnyk, with Shantz emerging as the starter.

Brock is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:22 PM
  #11
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Well, it is a pretty weak year in net for Canada, so if Rejean does take the #1 spot, it'll obviously be based on his age and the opportunity he got this past summer to attend the camp. It surely won't have anything to do with him being a better prospect than Pogge if they don't give the kid a shot.
Beauchemin is certainly a contender for the spot, I think the job is very much up for grabs and there are quite a few guys who could be the starter. I don't think he has the hold he appeared to have after the last camp ended. I have not heard Pogge mentioned at all. As it stands right now, Beauchemin is a better prospect than Pogge, but that has little to do with this topic.

Juicer is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:22 PM
  #12
Douggy
Registered User
 
Douggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
What about Ryan Munce??

Douggy is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:28 PM
  #13
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 748
I'd be thinking Kevin Nastiuk would have to be a front runner from the WHL...not Beauchemin...but maybe that's just me....Pogge I think could've been there had he not missed the first few weeks of the season and add in the fact that he's still getting his timing and everything back. The kid is a damn good goalie. But I'd have to say Kevin Nastiuk outta Medicine Hat has gotta be a front runner from the WHL

Canadian Chris is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:29 PM
  #14
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Boutin? Does he have a ghost of a chance? No love for the 'Q'?

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 09:42 PM
  #15
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Beauchemin is certainly a contender for the spot, I think the job is very much up for grabs and there are quite a few guys who could be the starter. I don't think he has the hold he appeared to have after the last camp ended. I have not heard Pogge mentioned at all. As it stands right now, Beauchemin is a better prospect than Pogge, but that has little to do with this topic.
You consider Beauchemin a better prospect?

Even though Pogge's having a similar to better season, he's a year younger, and he went higher in the NHL draft, which basically means NHL scouts thought highly of him.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 10:59 PM
  #16
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
You consider Beauchemin a better prospect?

Even though Pogge's having a similar to better season, he's a year younger, and he went higher in the NHL draft, which basically means NHL scouts thought highly of him.
Agree

BuppY is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:13 PM
  #17
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,029
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
What are Julien Ellis-Plante's chances considering his experience with the U18 team? He's probably one of the top goalies in the Q this year.

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:13 PM
  #18
TomahawkSniper
Registered User
 
TomahawkSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Julien Ellis-Plante looks to be a good candidate.

TomahawkSniper is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:22 PM
  #19
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
You consider Beauchemin a better prospect?

Even though Pogge's having a similar to better season, he's a year younger, and he went higher in the NHL draft, which basically means NHL scouts thought highly of him.
I'd say Beauchemin's stocked moved up quite a bit last year, wouldn't you? The year Beauchemin had when he was the same age as Pogge was better than the one Pogge is having now. Beachemin had a bad start (well, Prince Albert had a bad start, but he didn't carry them like he is supposed to) but his play has improved as of late. I can see your arguement that Pogge is better, but IMO Beauchemin is the better prospect.

paxtang is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:35 PM
  #20
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!
 
mazmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
At least two of Shantz, Munce, Boutin, Nastiuk, Peters, Beauchemin, Dubnyk & Ellis-Plante will likely make the team.

I'd guess Shantz, Beauchemin & Dubnyk.

mazmin is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:45 PM
  #21
PEli*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: abroad
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
Boutin? Does he have a ghost of a chance? No love for the 'Q'?
Not this year. Boutin started hot but has been on the end of some poor games. I'd peg the blame on most of his team but he's the last line of defense. If he wants a shot, he'll have to play like he did during the first month of the season again.

PEli* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:51 PM
  #22
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I'd say Beauchemin's stocked moved up quite a bit last year, wouldn't you? The year Beauchemin had when he was the same age as Pogge was better than the one Pogge is having now.
We're not even 20 games in, even then Justin Pogge is coming off a very bad break in his leg, and he's still adjusting. At the age of 18 he is outperforming a 19 year old Rejean Beauchemin, a goaltender in his third full season in the WHL while Pogge's played 55 games in his WHL career.

Quote:
Beachemin had a bad start (well, Prince Albert had a bad start, but he didn't carry them like he is supposed to) but his play has improved as of late. I can see your arguement that Pogge is better, but IMO Beauchemin is the better prospect.
Prince George apparently has one of the crappiest defenses in the league and has scored fewer goals to support it's goaltenders, yet Pogge is over .500. He also has a better GAA and similar save %. Pogge's also bigger and has been hot over the last 5 games with 3 shutouts. It's close, but with another year under his belt, there's no reason to think Pogge's not the better of the two.

Apparently NHL scouts thought so as well.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-08-2004, 11:57 PM
  #23
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
We're not even 20 games in, even then Justin Pogge is coming off a very bad break in his leg, and he's still adjusting. At the age of 18 he is outperforming a 19 year old Rejean Beauchemin, a goaltender in his third full season in the WHL while Pogge's played 55 games in his WHL career.


Prince George apparently has one of the crappiest defenses in the league and has scored fewer goals to support it's goaltenders, yet Pogge is over .500. He also has a better GAA and similar save %. Pogge's also bigger and has been hot over the last 5 games with 3 shutouts. It's close, but with another year under his belt, there's no reason to think Pogge's not the better of the two.

Apparently NHL scouts thought so as well.
A) Beachemin's 19 year old season was better than Pogge's current 19 year old season. It seems to me the point you are trying to make is that Pogge would be further along with his development because as an 18 year old he is better than a 19 year old. Beachemin proved he could play at a level better than Pogge could last year. At least in my opinion. Pogge could be better, but to me he hasn't proven as much as Rej has.

B) Prince Albert isn't exactly a great team either, and they weren't last year either.

C) You might find reason to think so, but I think Rej showed last year how he could carry a team, he showed at the camp he can play at a high level. Both had subpar starts and are improving. Hell, maybe Pogge is better or just as good, but I think we can both agree they are very good goalie's and both pretty even.

D) Pogge had a better draft year, there's no doubt of that.

paxtang is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 12:04 AM
  #24
Greg7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
If Nastiuk plays like he has been, he has to be considered the huge front runner from the WHL. Sure, MH is playing great in front of him, but his numbers don't lie. Under 1 GAA, .96something S% and 12-2-1 or so record? No matter how good of a team you have in front of you, you have to be playing pretty incredible to amass numbers like that. His playoff run last year also showed that he is a very clutch goaltender, something that should help his bid, if it needs any help.

I'm more interested in what the OHL and especially the QMJHL have to offer. After years of supplying us with a goalie, the Q didn't even have ONE at summer camp. What's going on over there?

Greg7 is offline  
Old
11-09-2004, 12:13 AM
  #25
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
A) Beachemin's 19 year old season was better than Pogge's current 19 year old season. It seems to me the point you are trying to make is that Pogge would be further along with his development because as an 18 year old he is better than a 19 year old. Beachemin proved he could play at a level better than Pogge could last year. At least in my opinion.
From what I've read on Pogge, he did carry the Cougars on many nights.

Quote:
Pogge could be better, but to me he hasn't proven as much as Rej has.
Well, he's played 60 fewer games at this level than Rejean, so it's hard to prove himself. But in terms of potential, NHL scouts must have seen something they liked during last season when he stole the job from Todd Ford.

Quote:
B) Prince Albert isn't exactly a great team either, and they weren't last year either.
They finished 4th in the WHL last season and finished 5th in goals for. Prince George finished in the bottom 3 in points and gave up the most number of goals in the WHL.

Quote:
C) You might find reason to think so, but I think Rej showed last year how he could carry a team, he showed at the camp he can play at a high level. Both had subpar starts and are improving. Hell, maybe Pogge is better or just as good, but I think we can both agree they are very good goalie's and both pretty even.
I agree that right now they're pretty even, but I still think Pogge projects to be the better of the two.

Quote:
D) Pogge had a better draft year, there's no doubt of that.
That still doesn't explain him going 90th overall and Rejean going 101 spots lower in what was a pretty deep draft, but when it gets into the 5th and 6th rounds, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the 2004 draft.

leafaholix* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.