HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bill McDougall - Why?

Old
11-25-2008, 10:53 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Bill McDougall - Why?

A simple question with what I'm sure may be a complicated answer:

To those that were around and got to see him as well as remember, why couldn't Bill McDougall make the Edmonton Oilers? What happened?

I don't know why I was thinking about this today but its always interesting to look back.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=11065

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
billranford30

Like you suggested, bit of a complicated answer:

He was on a pretty steep upward trajectory after arriving. He looked half-decent in the games he got into in Edmonton, but we were flush with youngsters at the time, and he had to fight for playing time. He was only with Edmonton from February on.

He played with Cape Breton for the playoffs and obviously had a great run. Following that run he was a free agent, and Tampa Bay just outbid everybody. That's not to suggest he got a ton of cash, but Tampa offered considerably more than anybody else, iirc.

Hope that helps.

billranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billranford30 View Post
Like you suggested, bit of a complicated answer:

He was on a pretty steep upward trajectory after arriving. He looked half-decent in the games he got into in Edmonton, but we were flush with youngsters at the time, and he had to fight for playing time. He was only with Edmonton from February on.

He played with Cape Breton for the playoffs and obviously had a great run. Following that run he was a free agent, and Tampa Bay just outbid everybody. That's not to suggest he got a ton of cash, but Tampa offered considerably more than anybody else, iirc.

Hope that helps.
I pretty much understand the basics; but was wondering more about what in his game actually caused the situation. Him going to Tampa and having as little success as he did could say nothing or everything depending on what about the situation contributed to such a lacklustre season.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Very intriquing!!!

This is amazing....1992-93 for the Cape Bretton Oilers in the AHL.
88pts in 71 games. Pretty darn good. But in the playoffs that year he had 52pts in 16 games!!! What amazing output!! 3.25 pts/gm
I've never seen an increase in production like that.

I find it so odd that he had 3pts in 4 games (and was a +2) with the Oilers in 1992-93 as well, yet didn't get more than a sniff in the NHL. It's not like we were an offensive juggernaught that year. Petr Klima was our leading scorer with 48pts in 68 games!

I'd love to hear some insider info on him.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Barky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I pretty much understand the basics; but was wondering more about what in his game actually caused the situation. Him going to Tampa and having as little success as he did could say nothing or everything depending on what about the situation contributed to such a lacklustre season.
I can't add a whole lot more, but I do remember following the Cape Breton Oilers during that playoffs and couldn't beleive this guy was Oiler property. I was just a kid, and knew nothing about pedigree, etc so I didn't know like most others that this guy was catching lighting in a bottle. I remember he scored something like 6 goals in one game... it was just crazy. I think it was a combination of luck, and timing (he was an older AHLer). Every now and then you see these guys go on a run.. Imagine if Selivanov's run of goal scoring came in the playoffs, or a run like Pisani went on... or even look up Brian Bradley, Kris Kontos, John Druce, even Matt Barnaby had an amazing playoffs one year. I imagine if we had such a loyal internet following of all teams like we do in this day and age you would have had people that would be able to pick apart his game as to why it didn't happen for him... aside from that freakish AHL playoff run you can find lots of players with similar stats that never made it. I still remeber Steven Rice scoring 6 goals in an AHL game and thinking how awesome he would be as an oiler.... it just doesn't always happen for some guys. If Alex Daigle wasn't the first overall pick, he would never have gotten the 2nd 3rd and 4th chances he got, he would be Bill McDougall.

Barky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:57 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barky View Post
I can't add a whole lot more, but I do remember following the Cape Breton Oilers during that playoffs and couldn't beleive this guy was Oiler property. I was just a kid, and knew nothing about pedigree, etc so I didn't know like most others that this guy was catching lighting in a bottle. I remember he scored something like 6 goals in one game... it was just crazy. I think it was a combination of luck, and timing (he was an older AHLer). Every now and then you see these guys go on a run.. Imagine if Selivanov's run of goal scoring came in the playoffs, or a run like Pisani went on... or even look up Brian Bradley, Kris Kontos, John Druce, even Matt Barnaby had an amazing playoffs one year. I imagine if we had such a loyal internet following of all teams like we do in this day and age you would have had people that would be able to pick apart his game as to why it didn't happen for him... aside from that freakish AHL playoff run you can find lots of players with similar stats that never made it. I still remeber Steven Rice scoring 6 goals in an AHL game and thinking how awesome he would be as an oiler.... it just doesn't always happen for some guys. If Alex Daigle wasn't the first overall pick, he would never have gotten the 2nd 3rd and 4th chances he got, he would be Bill McDougall.
The thing about McDougall that I find so intriguing is how he skyrocketed from Jr. B and just kept improving; yet couldn't seem to bridge the final gap or gave up too soon or something...

Old
11-25-2008, 01:58 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I find it so odd that he had 3pts in 4 games (and was a +2) with the Oilers in 1992-93 as well, yet didn't get more than a sniff in the NHL. It's not like we were an offensive juggernaught that year. Petr Klima was our leading scorer with 48pts in 68 games!
I actually remember seeing him play a game on TV I'm pretty sure (or I was there) but don't remember any specifics. I'm hoping someone does.

Old
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barky View Post
I can't add a whole lot more.
Wrong.
You should post more often.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
johnM

Bill Mcdougal

I have not heard that name for a very long time. I remember him from the time I lived in Saskatoon. He was a star in Humbolt but do not remember any WHL team even looking at him as I was under the impression he was to go to a US college, guess he never went. I kind of remeber him as a poor mans Dan Hodgson from the PA Raiders. A little bit under sized and not the fastest guy in the world, but with great hands. Did not even know he played for the Oilers but as per alot of players just was not at the right place at the right time and fell through the cracks.

johnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Byakin1

Quote:

To those that were around and got to see him as well as remember, why couldn't Bill McDougall make the Edmonton Oilers? What happened?

I don't know why I was thinking about this today but its always interesting to look back.

If I remember correctly, BM didn't have the greatest wheels and the Oilers back then had a particular infatuation with fast players (hence drafting Steve Kelly, Intranuvo, Devereaux, etc) so maybe that factored into him not getting a fair shot.
I might be confusing him with Dan Currie though, who I believe played along side BM (or was it Peter White?). I'm getting too old.

Byakin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakin1 View Post
If I remember correctly, BM didn't have the greatest wheels and the Oilers back then had a particular infatuation with fast players (hence drafting Steve Kelly, Intranuvo, Devereaux, etc) so maybe that factored into him not getting a fair shot.
I might be confusing him with Dan Currie though, who I believe played along side BM (or was it Peter White?). I'm getting too old.
currie-van allen-Mcdougall

Van Allen was the only one that really got a chance

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:09 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

As was stated it had to do with his wheels--there were very poor and he was not that physcal. HE also had problems when it came to playing in traffic.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:10 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
currie-van allen-Mcdougall

Van Allen was the only one that really got a chance
Van Allen was a face off specilaists for awhile and that is why the sens fell in love with him.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
taxihacker
Rookie User

Quote:

What I heard was sather offered a real bad 2 way contract to McDougall and if he didn't sign it he was sending him to the minors because he was not going to "showcase him to the rest of the league".

Last edited by taxihacker: 03-11-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: grammar
taxihacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Beerfish

Perhaps the best playoff run in pro hockey ever.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

He went through 2 more organizations after he left the oilers.

He went onto have a few good years in europe. He was just not good enough for the nhl

Old
03-12-2012, 02:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
The top 7 scorers from that year went on to do jack ****.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Perfect_Drug

There's a lot to do with politics within organizations.

Allegedly (from a friend who was drafted), when a scout 'vouches' for you, they get bonuses if you perform. If that scout leaves the organization or gets fired, then the player no longer has that scout vouching for them as there is no management level performance bonus given out for games played/goals scored etc, therefore their opportunities within that organization get greatly reduced.

There could be a whole wack of politics involved with MickyD. I'd imagine under the Barry Fraser/Kevin Prendergast regimes, there was more internal politics involved than actual talent.

Sather also loves to play the politics. The guy is a master of manipulating visibility. ESPECIALLY manipulating the perceptions of the media.

Who knows, maybe there were some shenanigans involved. I'd imagine that's what happened with Whitney, and Satan.

Usually when a player faulters with a second organization, it means the player just didn't have the cajones.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
One just has to look at Alex Giroux. Granted the playoff numbers weren't the same, the guy was able to score 60 goals and then 50 goals before getting another shot with a new organization. Here we are two year later and both years he couldn't make the 30th place team.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
taxihacker
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
He went through 2 more organizations after he left the oilers.

He went onto have a few good years in europe. He was just not good enough for the nhl
I know he went to tampabay after Edmonton, what was the second organization?

taxihacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxihacker View Post
I know he went to tampabay after Edmonton, what was the second organization?
Edmonton. He was with Detroit prior.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote