HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Omark to Oilers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
  #126
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Make light all you want but it's the truth. This is a discussion forum, That kind of stuff isn't a good move if you want people to take you seriously.

Come on, we all know you have an agenda here, it's hard to take what you say in this matter without a grain of salt.
This I can accept. No worries. Its boredom silly season and not much to talk about here.

Longing for years where playoffs is the actual topic instead.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:54 PM
  #127
Puritania
Registered User
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,724
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This I can accept. No worries. Its boredom silly season and not much to talk about here.

Longing for years where playoffs is the actual topic instead.
Ugh no doubt. It will be nice when we get to talk about Eberles clutch goal in double OT or Hall carrying the team on his back to a win we had no business getting.

Until then, let the 20 page dissection of Corey Potter commence!

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  #128
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,806
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
im sure the oilers will give him the morning skate off and let him rest, its not like these guys arent on the ice everyday,
This. Assuming they do, he should be just fine to play tonight

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
  #129
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I love the built in proactive excuses. Do well up here and no one will mention it further. Struggle and its already in place as a reason.

3 of the locations on the map don't even involve much travel. Peoria, Grand Rapids, Chicago would be less travel than AJHL clubs encounter. LA to SF is a short hop as well. Also pretty sure the team had a longbreak before the Peoria game.(so I'm not sure why "A" is listed on the map as travel. Did they travel to the Peoria game at the last minute?) Plus what better place to fly from than Chicago which would have a hell of a lot of connecting flights.

Lets be frank here. Any player that gets a callup is jacked. Fatigue is seldom really an issue in the first couple games up. Especially for a younger player.
4 games in 4 days + travel and maybe 5 in 5? If this isn't an issue then why don't we see 3 in 3's in the NHL or 4 in 4's? Come on Replacement adrenaline can only take you so far when you are exhausted.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
  #130
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Dress Peckham tonight and play Sutton at forward. Then play Omark tomorrow. 5 in 5 for Omark would be dumb.
It would be beyond dumb and it would risk the player getting injured IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  #131
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
4 games in 4 days + travel and maybe 5 in 5? If this isn't an issue then why don't we see 3 in 3's in the NHL or 4 in 4's? Come on Replacement adrenaline can only take you so far when you are exhausted.
The team doesn't seem to think its any issue, I don't think its an issue, several posters have agreed it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Clearly theres different takes on this.

I guess I come from a different era where games were played in the NHL like this with no questions asked. Much tougher games as well being that they were playoff games and even with long OT's involved.

ftr at this point the discussion isn't at all about Omark. for me the discussion is on why the shift in thought.

People are saying that the NHL doesn't do this anymore because its untenable. But I don't see any evidence that it was untenable. What I think actually occurred is the NHLPA complained about that type of scheduling just because they didn't want to do it. Not because they couldn't. Clearly players could play those schedules and play them at high levels.

I challenge anybody that watched those 1980's first round series to tell me that those players were coasting.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
  #132
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The team doesn't seem to think its any issue, I don't think its an issue, several posters have agreed it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Clearly theres different takes on this.

I guess I come from a different era where games were played in the NHL like this with no questions asked. Much tougher games as well being that they were playoff games and even with long OT's involved.

ftr at this point the discussion isn't at all about Omark. for me the discussion is on why the shift in thought.

People are saying that the NHL doesn't do this anymore because its untenable. But I don't see any evidence that it was untenable. What I think actually occurred is the NHLPA complained about that type of scheduling just because they didn't want to do it. Not because they couldn't. Clearly players could play those schedules and play them at high levels.

I challenge anybody that watched those 1980's first round series to tell me that those players were coasting.
And how many of those guys rode buses for the first 3 days, every day? And traveled EVERY day? A playoff series is between 2 teams, unless they played a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 series, they would've stayed in the same spot at least a couple of those 5 days. I'm sure the NHLPA griped about it, and based on what we see from teams sometimes just on back to backs I can see why.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
  #133
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
On one hand...I don't think there is any doubt fatigue could potentially factor into it.

On the other...no matter which affiliate is called up...he would be in the same boat.

Which kind of ties back to the point I want to make:

If the Oilers were remotely pro-active...they would ALWAYS have called someone up to carry on the roster as a black ace...rather than have every single option tied up with the AHL schedule right up until "zero hour".

This thing of having all our assets playing the maximum amount of ice time...gets to be taken to excess at times, IMO.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
  #134
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 500
Please don't play him with Gagner, that's all I ask.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
  #135
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This I can accept. No worries. Its boredom silly season and not much to talk about here.

Longing for years where playoffs is the actual topic instead.
Exactly and seasons where we are pissed as fans because we only finished the season 6th and noth division leaders or 4th.

All the loosing has made everyone go mad, that's why I embrace HF, misery love company.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
  #136
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And how many of those guys rode buses for the first 3 days, every day? And traveled EVERY day? A playoff series is between 2 teams, unless they played a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 series, they would've stayed in the same spot at least a couple of those 5 days. I'm sure the NHLPA griped about it, and based on what we see from teams sometimes just on back to backs I can see why.
Actually those 1st round series with 4 games in 5 nights were fantastic for fans. Often like I say with games going into multiple periods of OT. A smorgasboard of hockey. NOBODY was complaining about the level of play either. Those series were downright knock down drag out wars.

I'll say one thing about the bolded as well. I doubt its physiological fatigue and overwhelm occurring.

Moreso just todays relative level of regular season disinterest that results in players dogging it on back to backs. Poor performance in back to backs or at any part of a schedule is more a problem with motivation than with physiological limitation.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
  #137
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,574
vCash: 500
To replace Hall, since hes questionable

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
  #138
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Actually those 1st round series with 4 games in 5 nights were fantastic for fans. Often like I say with games going into multiple periods of OT. A smorgasboard of hockey.

I'll say one thing about the bolded as well. I doubt its physiological fatigue and overwhelm occurring.

Moreso just todays relative level of regular season disinterest that results in players dogging it on back to backs. Poor performance in back to backs or at any part of a schedule is more a problem with motivation than with physiological limitation.
It might serve the fans well...for a time.

But i feel strongly about the tight schedule of todays NHL being a contributing factor to injuries.

I still say Crosbys' day to day schedule had become so over-booked and redonkulous it wore him down to the point where he got hurt.

And its more of the same in regards to Ovechkin AFAIC.

Just a matter of time for Stamkos.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
  #139
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Please don't play him with Gagner, that's all I ask.
I put in my request as well.

Pretty sure this would be the wish for all Gagner fans.

If these two are on the same line then decision made that this is PVR game, watch on later basis if judged safe for viewing..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  #140
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The team doesn't seem to think its any issue, I don't think its an issue, several posters have agreed it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Clearly theres different takes on this.

I guess I come from a different era where games were played in the NHL like this with no questions asked. Much tougher games as well being that they were playoff games and even with long OT's involved.

ftr at this point the discussion isn't at all about Omark. for me the discussion is on why the shift in thought.

People are saying that the NHL doesn't do this anymore because its untenable. But I don't see any evidence that it was untenable. What I think actually occurred is the NHLPA complained about that type of scheduling just because they didn't want to do it. Not because they couldn't. Clearly players could play those schedules and play them at high levels.

I challenge anybody that watched those 1980's first round series to tell me that those players were coasting.
Still with the false analogy. No one here is talking about two full rosters playing 5 games in 5 nights against each other. It's an entirely different situation. It's not relevant. At issue here is whether or not Omark (or Hartikainen or whoever) is at a competitive disadvantage in a situation like this, not whether playing 4 back to back games is really so tough.

I mean, for crying out loud, Renney was making cracks this season about how the Oilers were always having to face the Flames as the 2nd part of their back-to-back games. If he's choked enough by the competitive disadvantage represented by the Oilers playing a 2nd game in 2 nights against a rested Flames squad, imagine how pissed he'd be if the entire team was playing their 4th game in 4 nights against a rested Ducks squad.

Again, all anyone here is doing by pointing out the 4 games in 4 nights fact is noting a clear competitive disadvantage and, for the most part, tempering their expectations of Omark accordingly, as I'm sure the Oilers coaching staff is. You're the only guy here saying, "Meh, should be fine."

Anyway, re: your question of smoking NHLers, I remember Andrei Kovalenko, the Russian tank, used to smoke a pack a day, and I even seem to recall Al Iafrate famously bumming a smoke off a reporter between periods. Can you imagine that happening today? I'd love to see that so much. No sarcasm. That would seriously make my day. Footage of Byfuglien just puffing away at a Marlboro during intermission. The boards would Melt. Down.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
  #141
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
It might serve the fans well...for a time.

But i feel strongly about the tight schedule of todays NHL being a contributing factor to injuries.

I still say Crosbys' day to day schedule had become so over-booked and redonkulous it wore him down to the point where he got hurt.

And its more of the same in regards to Ovechkin AFAIC.

Just a matter of time for Stamkos.
But oddly enough theres easier scheduling now and much more man games lost through injury then there were back then.

I don't know that theres any quantifying that scheduling is relating to injuries.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
  #142
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
"Meh, should be fine."
I've counted 4 posters plus the team thinking:

"Meh, should be fine"

ps You might want to read up on what the lineup of the glory years Oilers was. lol.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
  #143
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The team doesn't seem to think its any issue, I don't think its an issue, several posters have agreed it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Clearly theres different takes on this.

I guess I come from a different era where games were played in the NHL like this with no questions asked. Much tougher games as well being that they were playoff games and even with long OT's involved.

ftr at this point the discussion isn't at all about Omark. for me the discussion is on why the shift in thought.

People are saying that the NHL doesn't do this anymore because its untenable. But I don't see any evidence that it was untenable. What I think actually occurred is the NHLPA complained about that type of scheduling just because they didn't want to do it. Not because they couldn't. Clearly players could play those schedules and play them at high levels.

I challenge anybody that watched those 1980's first round series to tell me that those players were coasting.
How so? They had to call someone up, it's not an ideal situation to be in but it had to be someone.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:44 PM
  #144
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've counted 4 posters plus the team thinking:

"Meh, should be fine"

ps You might want to read up on what the lineup of the glory years Oilers was. lol.
Yes, one time you happen to agree with management because it fits into your anti-Omark agenda. You are easily one of the most critical posters here of this management team yet now that it fits your opinion you use their nod of the head for this as justification?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:46 PM
  #145
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But oddly enough theres easier scheduling now and much more man games lost through injury then there were back then.

I don't know that theres any quantifying that scheduling is relating to injuries.
If it seems like it would be a stretch to say daily scheduling for todays NHLer could contribute to injuries...I don't think its worth my time to bother trying to convince you otherwise.

All I am saying is...I buy into it for less than a dollar.

And as for Omarks week specifically...its not a good thing. At the very least.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
  #146
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How so? They had to call someone up, it's not an ideal situation to be in but it had to be someone.
If the team thought it to be any issue whatsoever they would have applied what Everest mentioned earlier. They didn't.

If this is so bad then it was easily avoidable.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
  #147
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
If the team thought it to be any issue whatsoever they would have applied what Everest mentioned earlier. They didn't.

If this is so bad then it was easily avoidable.
I don't understand why they didn't call him up prior to yesterday's game?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
  #148
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
If the team thought it to be any issue whatsoever they would have applied what Everest mentioned earlier. They didn't.

If this is so bad then it was easily avoidable.
What the whole convert a d-man to a forward? Ya there's a viable option.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
  #149
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I don't understand why they didn't call him up prior to yesterday's game?
Because they didn't think Hall would miss today's game.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
  #150
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yes, one time you happen to agree with management because it fits into your anti-Omark agenda. You are easily one of the most critical posters here of this management team yet now that it fits your opinion you use their nod of the head for this as justification?
Again I think the player in question will be fine.

I don't see any problem.

I have a problem with management in terms of personnel recruitment. I don't think I've ever expressed that they have a problem booking flights or scheduling timetables. You might want to fill me in on where and when I've ever stated something of that nature. I'll be waiting for your homework on that.

Again like I said several posts ago, and for the last several responses, this discussion to me at this point is about sheduling and different feelings about what represents ideal scheduling. I just find the difference of opinion interesting at this point having been a fan of compressed scheduling that used to occur.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.