HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burkie Canned By TOR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
  #1
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 50
Burkie Canned By TOR

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie:Toronto Maple Leafs have apparently fired Brian Burke as general manager. Working on official confirmations.
https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/s...60032434302976

Dayyum

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
  #2
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,082
vCash: 500
Leafs, the gift that keeps on giving.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
  #3
rocsfeather
jump
 
rocsfeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arrowhead Pond
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Karma for the Doug Weight trade.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
  #4
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,082
vCash: 500
At least Getz/Pears to Toronto threads are done now

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
  #5
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 50
They are such a mess. No course of action whatsoever. I wonder if RC is safe?

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
  #6
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
At least Getz/Pears to Toronto threads are done now
"I think Carlyle can convince them to come to Toronto."

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
  #7
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,647
vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I guess this means Toronto will no longer be interested in Ryan. So now we're free to trade him to Philly. For Matt Read

What always got me was why were so many people so sure Burke likes Ryan when Burke was the one who was in charge when so many of the "Ryan will be traded" rumors were going around in 07 and 08.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
  #8
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 5,050
vCash: 500
I did not expect that one...

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
  #9
High Glove
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Burkie Canned By TOR

per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413146

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
  #10
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger
 
GermanRocket7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  #11
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,647
vCash: 90
Da ****?

Why now? Why not after last season? Or after the 2012 draft? Or after the initial UFA period? Or after this season? Or pretty much any other time?

The only think I can think of is they don't like something he did during the lockout.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  #12
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.
He also left the Ducks in a world of hurt when leaving.

And the cap was a lot lower back then, then it is now.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
  #13
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.
I too wonder how that would work.
Not sure if we have the $, though. All went to Souray

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
  #14
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 50
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Close GMs friends of Burke's arriving here for BOG in NYC had no clue. They're stunned.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
  #15
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,932
vCash: 500
Would be hilarious if we endure a bad start to this year, Burkie comes back in replacing a Murray, and in a couple years wins the cup here to a good degree based on the talent coming in from our last few drafts...

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
  #16
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Da ****?

Why now? Why not after last season? Or after the 2012 draft? Or after the initial UFA period? Or after this season? Or pretty much any other time?

The only think I can think of is they don't like something he did during the lockout.
Rumor has it that he didn't want to pull the trigger on the Luongo deal, and most of management wanted it done. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners let em go for that.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  #17
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.
That ignores the fact that the cap during his reign was beneath where the floor was last year. The Ducks have spent above the floor and profitability every year, this is a nonsense argument.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  #18
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
He also left the Ducks in a world of hurt when leaving.

And the cap was a lot lower back then, then it is now.
He left Vancouver in a world of hurt as well. He did the same thing to us and the same thing to Toronto.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
  #19
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger
 
GermanRocket7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
That ignores the fact that the cap during his reign was beneath where the floor was last year. The Ducks have spent above the floor and profitability every year, this is a nonsense argument.
How so? You may talk of total sums, however, this still is a SYSTEM in which there are minimum and maximum payrolls to play by. If I were to turn your argument upside down, it would mean we should be glad we are now spending more than we were back in '07, which is complete nonsense in itself.

There are certain numbers that have to be reached, and some numbers that are the maximum allowance. And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.

We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack. However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

I'm all for bringing Burke back, and I bet he'd be able to talk some sense into Samueli again, because our owners went AWOL years ago.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  #20
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
I'd welcome him back in Anaheim under any role really.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  #21
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
How so? You may talk of total sums, however, this still is a SYSTEM in which there are minimum and maximum payrolls to play by. If I were to turn your argument upside down, it would mean we should be glad we are now spending more than we were back in '07, which is complete nonsense in itself.

There are certain numbers that have to be reached, and some numbers that are the maximum allowance. And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.

We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack. However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

I'm all for bringing Burke back, and I bet he'd be able to talk some sense into Samueli again, because our owners went AWOL years ago.
You miss the point - the budget is based off of the amount where the team starts to outspend its income. That is in the low 50's, which is where Burke spent to. Team revenues haven't come close to keeping up with the cap, but the Ducks have never been a cap floor team. Spending to the cap usually results in losses unless you go very deep (2+ rounds) into the playoffs. For ALL teams not based in Toronto, Montreal, and New York.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  #22
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,031
vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Da ****?

Why now? Why not after last season? Or after the 2012 draft? Or after the initial UFA period? Or after this season? Or pretty much any other time?

The only think I can think of is they don't like something he did during the lockout.
Exactly my reaction. I saw the title and thought it was a troll thread.

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:41 PM
  #23
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.
That's not how business works. To a certain degree, but you can't just keep going higher and higher and expect things to keep working. There's a point where it does, and the Ducks have been beyond that point for years. Not only the Ducks, by the way, but a lot of teams, which is a big part of the reason we just enjoyed this beautiful lockout. It doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack.
Sure we had a need to spend to the cap. You always do, because it helps your odds to win games. The question isn't whether you have to, the question is whether anything's stopping you, and back then, there was nothing, and for a few year's now, it's the organisation not producing black numbers to be able to afford it in the eyes of our ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

I'm all for bringing Burke back, and I bet he'd be able to talk some sense into Samueli again, because our owners went AWOL years ago.
The notion that all it takes is a hockey GM to talk to our billionaire businessman owner and sell him on a couple ideas to agree to losing a few more millions is so far beyond ridiculous that I don't know what to make of it. As if any GM was happy to not just face the league's, but also internal limitations. They work with what they are given, and they are fired when they don't. You're completely messing up the hierarchy there.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
  #24
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger
 
GermanRocket7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You miss the point - the budget is based off of the amount where the team starts to outspend its income. That is in the low 50's, which is where Burke spent to. Team revenues haven't come close to keeping up with the cap, but the Ducks have never been a cap floor team. Spending to the cap usually results in losses unless you go very deep (2+ rounds) into the playoffs. For ALL teams not based in Toronto, Montreal, and New York.
No, I do get the point. But the thing is: Burke was willing to be in the market for ANY free agent player. What's BM's response to each question regarding a player actually worth crap in free agency? "We're not in that market.".

I believe that IF the Ducks actually had pursued the A-class free agents (and by that spending to the cap) in the past four years instead of going dumpster diving and trying out players who were already broke (Cogliano -and that even in a trade!, Kyle Calder, Steve Eminger, Andrew Gordon et al.), we would at least have been a perennial PO team and might have very well advanced to the third round of the playoffs at least once more, thus generating cash instead of burning it.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
  #25
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,051
vCash: 50
Nonis taking over. RC safe for now I guess.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.